Acts 22:14 is anti-marcionite

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Acts 22:14 is anti-marcionite

Post by Giuseppe »

Acts 22:14
“Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth.

Evidently Paul didn't see the Just One (=YHWH). He knew only the Good God, the Unknown God of Marcion.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
John2

Re: Acts 22:14 is anti-marcionite

Post by John2 »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 am Acts 22:14
“Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth.

Evidently Paul didn't see the Just One (=YHWH). He knew only the Good God, the Unknown God of Marcion.

This is referring to Jesus, as per Acts 3:13-14 and 7:52 and 1 John 1:21:

The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus. You handed him over and rejected him before Pilate, even though he had decided to release him. You rejected the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you.

Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him ...

But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father -- Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

By the time of Acts, the Just One, just as the Good One, was used without difference for both the Father and the Son.
John2

Post by John2 »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 pm By the time of Acts, the Just One, just as the Good One, was used without difference for both the Father and the Son.

In this context though the Righteous One appears to be Jesus.

Acts 22:6-9 and 14-15:

About noon as I was approaching Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?’

‘Who are you, Lord?’ I asked.

‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,’ he replied. My companions saw the light, but they could not understand the voice of the One speaking to me.

Then he said, ‘The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will, and to see the Righteous One and to hear his voice. You will be his witness to all men of what you have seen and heard.

So Paul saw the Righteous One and heard his voice ("to see the Righteous One and to hear his voice"), and the voice Paul heard is identified as being that of "Jesus of Nazareth."
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

There is not difference at all. Jesus (or his Father) is called "the Righteous" in opposition to Jesus (or his Father) called "the Good One".

There is full anti-marcionism, here.
John2

Post by John2 »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 pm There is not difference at all. Jesus (or his Father) is called "the Righteous" in opposition to Jesus (or his Father) called "the Good One".

There is full anti-marcionism, here.

I would sooner think that references to "the Righteous One" in the NT pertain to the use of this term in the OT (like it does in the Dead Sea Scrolls, most of which are dated to the Herodian era) than to anti-Marcionism, and all the more so since I suspect Acts was written c. 95 CE, before I think Marcionism was known. But it's only a judgement call, and to each their own.