"Baptism" => Facing Battle or worse

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

"Baptism" => Facing Battle or worse

Post by Charles Wilson »

1 Corinthians 1: 12 - 16 (RSV):

[12] What I mean is that each one of you says, "I belong to Paul," or "I belong to Apol'los," or "I belong to Cephas," or "I belong to Christ."
[13] Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
[14] I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Ga'ius;
[15] lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name.
[16] (I did baptize also the household of Steph'anas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.)

I believe that the above comes from Tacitus, Histories, Book 4:

"While things were in this state, while there was division in the Senate, resentment among the conquered, no real authority in the conquerors, and in the country at large no laws and no Emperor, Mucianus entered the capital, and at once drew all power into his own hands. The influence of Primus Antonius and Varus Arrius was destroyed; for the irritation of Mucianus against them, though not revealed in his looks, was but ill-concealed, and the country, keen to discover such dislikes, had changed its tone and transferred its homage. He alone was canvassed and courted, and he, surrounding himself with armed men, and bargaining for palaces and gardens, ceased not, what with his magnificence, his proud bearing, and his guards, to grasp at the power, while he waived the titles of Empire. The murder of Calpurnius Galerianus caused the utmost consternation. He was a son of Caius Piso, and had done nothing, but a noble name and his own youthful beauty made him the theme of common talk; and while the country was still unquiet and delighted in novel topics, there were persons who associated him with idle rumours of Imperial honours. By order of Mucianus he was surrounded with a guard of soldiers. Lest his execution in the capital should excite too much notice, they conducted him to the fortieth milestone from Rome on the Appian Road, and there put him to death by opening his veins. Julius Priscus, who had been prefect of the Praetorian Guard under Vitellius, killed himself rather out of shame than by compulsion..."

While there is Chaos in Rome, Mucianus draws Imperial Power into his hands and allows several families to see just what that Power can do. There is much more to examine in the Tacitus quote and I invite everyone to see the Roman Thesis in full view here.

This is about as close to a direct quote from Mucianus as you might find in the Paulines. As a cipher for "Mucianus" the hiding of Intent is less hidden.

"Baptism". This is not "Water Immersion" or what has come down to us as such. This is Raw, Brute Force State Power and it is enforced by Death if need be. You can identify the Families and I remind everyone of the List in Acts 6. Octavian was the "Acolyte/Hero of Antioch" and moving up the List finds Stephen Martyr: "Frugi Piso", the Four Day emperor.

Baptism does not mean what you might think in the NT.

This would provide meaning for the Intro to the NT and what was Posted in another Very Fine Joe Wallack thread:
Charles Wilson wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:48 am
JoeWallack wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 pm JW:
The combination of a minimum of quality External Manuscript support and The Difficult Reading Principle already makes omission of "river" likely original but further evidence:

Matthew 3
5 Then went out unto him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about the Jordan;
6 and they were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.
GMatthew's first mention of Jordan likewise lacks "river".

Lukewise:

Luke 3
3 And he came into all the region round about the Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance unto remission of sins;

No mention of "river".

Joseph

Skeptical Textual Criticism
https://books.google.com/books?id=bsxkX ... 22&f=false

I believe that John is "of Bilgah". Bilgah had a Settlement attached to its name. Note that Ma'ariya is associated with Bilgah. Note also that "Gophna" is associated with Bilgah and Jakim. Gophna figures into Roman Mapping as a region and, as such would not necessarily be a Settlement.

Perhaps more later on this but it still appears that the readings of whether "River" appears in the Texts are correct depending on Scope.

FWIW: http://www.aymennjawad.org/2020/01/the- ... mouk-basin

YMMV

CW

[Edit Note] See Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jifna , "Iron Age and Classical period". A "Vespasian" and a "Titus" are mentioned. I wonder if that might be important?
This opens up the Intro to the NT as Historical Story in the Form of the Story of a savior/god: Vespasian, the Father. Titus, the son. Domitian, the "Holy Spirit", whose followers rewrote the deification of the Flavians into a story of the Characters "John" (of Bilgah) and "Jesus" (Originally a Priest of Immer). The Story of the Mishmarot Priesthood becomes the transference of God's Grace from the Jews to the Romans.

"Baptism" and its meaning are Transvalued from Brutal State Power to an act of allegiance to another god.

CW
Charles Wilson

Re: "Baptism" => Facing Battle or worse

Post by Charles Wilson »

I am beginning to unpack the meaning of the "Jordan-with-or-without-River" Scenario as a Coded reflection of Vespasian taking over Gophnah on his way to Jerusalem. There are Priests of Bilgah there and the Settlement of Bilgah is Ma'ariya (Leibner, Settlements...). There was one statement, however, that opens up an entirely new Path:

"Around 50 BCE the Roman general Cassius sold the population into slavery, for failure to pay taxes. They were freed, however, by Mark Antony shortly after he came to power..." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jifna ).

We are told in the Transvalued versions that the Taxgatherers are mentioned to show that the "Jesus" character will sit and eat even with them. "What a guy!!!" This fact about Taxgatherers points to something greater. The Resistance to Roman Rule runs deep and it runs through Tax-Land ("My burden is light..."). This is not trivial to those sold into slavery - especially Jews and their Priests - because of refusal to pay Taxes to a foreign Power.

Mark Antony is mentioned in the NT with the Time Marker of the Battle of Actium and the ascension of Herod (John 5: 1 - 6, but it takes a little explanation. See previous Posts on Timelines looking back from 8/9 CE.).

This, then, is a MAJOR revaluation of the Taxgatherer Tradition. Vespasian leaves a garrison at Gophnah, which is in turn visited by Titus on his way to Road Grading Jerusalem. The story MUST be retold in a manner that leaves the Roman Rule to be seen in a POSITIVE light.

"Yes, we murdered and brutalized you and sold you into slavery but it was for your own good. We're really the good guys here and God is going to take his Approval and transfer his Grace from you Jews to us, your Roman rulers!!!"

I may yet Post all verses from the Gospels telling of this "Baptism" in the Jordan River/Area.

CW
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Josephus, Antiquities..., 5, 2, 1:

"NOW, as Titus was upon his march into the enemy's country, the auxiliaries that were sent by the kings marched first, having all the other auxiliaries with them; after whom followed those that were to prepare the roads and measure out the camp; then came the commander's baggage, and after that the other soldiers, who were completely armed to support them; then came Titus himself, having with him another select body; and then came the pikemen; after whom came the horse belonging to that legion. All these came before the engines; and after these engines came the tribunes and the leaders of the cohorts, with their select bodies; after these came the ensigns, with the eagle; and before those ensigns came the trumpeters belonging to them; next these came the main body of the army in their ranks, every rank being six deep; the servants belonging to every legion came after these; and before these last their baggage; the mercenaries came last, and those that guarded them brought up the rear. Now Titus, according to the Roman usage, went in the front of the army after a decent manner, and marched through Samaria to Gophna, a city that had been formerly taken by his father, and was then garrisoned by Roman soldiers; and when he had lodged there one night, he marched on in the morning; and when he had gone as far as a day's march, he pitched his camp at that valley which the Jews, in their own tongue, call "the Valley of Thorns," near a certain village called Gabaothsath, which signifies "the Hill of Saul," being distant from Jerusalem about thirty furlongs..."

This is an important Section, beyond "Gophna". This is a statement concerning the Organization of the Legions as they move. The character "Judas" hangs himself and spills his guts out and, of course, this is seen as literal because..."Jesus".

It more accurately describes Cestius and the 12th Legion leaving Jerusalem when, with one more day's Consolidation of Power, would have eliminated the possibility of the Jewish War entirely (according to Josephus). There is no Contradiction in the death of Judas since this is not Literal. He did "hang himself" and his guts did "Spill out"! Cestius leaves Jerusalem hastily. He gets to Beth Horon and the "Baggage" is not kept in proper Roman Order. The Seditious reorganize, attack the 12th and, as with the Debacle with Paetus and the Parthians (See: Tacitus, Annals), the 12th takes it in the snoot.

Titus is being prepared in a Literary Manner for Deification by Josephus. There is a Tie between the Priests of Bilgah and their locations. Ma'ariya is the Settlement assigned to Bilgah and there are Priests of Bilgah in Gophna. This explains the use of a Place (Ma'ariya, near the Jordan) and Gophna, a unit of Roman Rule, as Vespasian leaves a garrison at Gophna. Thus, the "Baptism of Jesus". Titus is being prepared.

The use of Ma'ariya probably goes back to the Hasmoneans. Gophna comes later. Of importance is the enslavement of the Gophnans for refusal to pay taxes. Antony negates that Order but it is Titus that will be seen as the Liberator - Again, see "My burden is light".

Thus, to Joe Wallack:
I thank you for seeing this aspect of "Jordan River" and "Jordan Area". As usual, it is not by Chance that the reading of the Text is this way. The Roman Thesis is Intentional and very detailed.

CW
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

In reading my last Post, above, on this Subject, I noticed 2 sentences that would be extremely Cryptic to someone who had not followed some of the arguments leading up to that point:
Titus is being prepared in a Literary Manner for Deification by Josephus. There is a Tie between the Priests of Bilgah and their locations
This makes sense to me, of course, but is very stark in its assertions. Something should be between those 2 sentences that links the 2 ideas:

[7] And he preached, saying, "After me comes he who is mightier than I, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.

John 1: 15 (RSV):

[15] (John bore witness to him, and cried, "This was he of whom I said, `He who comes after me ranks before me, for he was before me.'")
This begins with 1 Chronicles 24:

[1 The divisions of the sons of Aaron were these. The sons of Aaron: Nadab, Abi'hu, Elea'zar, and Ith'amar.
[2] But Nadab and Abi'hu died before their father, and had no children, so Elea'zar and Ith'amar became the priests.
[3] With the help of Zadok of the sons of Elea'zar, and Ahim'elech of the sons of Ith'amar, David organized them according to the appointed duties in their service.
[7 The first lot fell to Jehoi'arib, the second to Jedai'ah
[14] the fifteenth to Bilgah, the sixteenth to Immer

The Hasmoneans are assigned to Jehoiarib. This version of the List - there are several - appears to have been written during the Hasmonean Era since Jehoiarib is first and the Hasmoneans are the "Leading Family".

The 16th Group is Immer and they believe the Hasmoneans come from them.

This is the Template from which all of the Interplay between the Characters "John" and "Jesus" occur. It is already apparent in the Problem presented by "Baptism in the Jordan River" and "Baptism in the Jordan Region".

NOW!:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/3298-bilgah

Bilgah has committed an Offense against the Priesthood. They are therefore a "Lesser Group" and this theme is ALL OVER the NT!!!

Now, read the 2 verses quoted: Immer comes after Bilgah yet is ranked above Bilgah. And...Oh, Yes! The Hebrew for "Lamb" is the same word as "The 16th Priestly Group" - as in "Lamb of God".

So, with a little hand-waving, leaving out a large amount of intermediate reasoning: The Mishmarot Priestly Groups were assigned Settlements in Galilee. Bilgah was assigned Ma'ariya.

"Baptism" means facing war and death. Ma'ariya is the home of Bilgah, yet later, Priests of Bilgah are gathered in Gophna with other Priests such as Jakim. Gophna becomes a Roman Unit of Rule when Vespasian takes Gophna and leaves a Garrison there and TITUS passes through. Bilgah is given the Settlement Ma'ariya AND Priests of Bilgah are found in what becomes the Administrative Area around Gophna. The Symbolism that ties this Mishmarot Group to the Roman Rewrite is prior to the Authorship of the Synoptics.

Thus, Bilgah Baptizes in the Jordan River (near its Settlement Ma'ariya) and elsewhere Baptizes in the Gophna Region (Roman Rule).

Josephus has to give Titus his "Onset" (I may come back to this point in another Post). Titus heads for Achaia (with Herod Agrippa, I believe. See: Acts.) and then, in a divine moment (according to Josephus, anyway...), turns back to meet up with Vespasian.

The Bilgah-Immer Story is already there and will be the Template for the "John" - "Jesus" Interplay. The alighting of the "Dove" on the shoulder of the "Jesus" character marks the NT moment of declaring the divinity of Titus. "Jesus" foretells the coming of Messiah 40 years later. "When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies...". This is the Roman Thesis: The Scriptures foretell the coming of Titus.

The use of "Baptism in the Jordan River" and "around the Jordan area..." is therefore Intentional and must be prior to the Authorship of the Synoptics.

[Edit Note]: The addition of "Baptism in the Jordan Region" is not a necessary datum to the Story of "John's Baptisms". It is therefore an added "Clue" to tie the Home of Bilgah - Ma'ariya - to the Toparchy of the Roman Ruled Gophna.

CW
Last edited by Charles Wilson on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Josephus, War..., 3,3, 5:

"In the limits of Samaria and Judea lies the village Anuath, which is also named Borceos. This is the northern boundary of Judea. The southern parts of Judea, if they be measured lengthways, are bounded by a Village adjoining to the confines of Arabia; the Jews that dwell there call it Jordan. However, its breadth is extended from the river Jordan to Joppa. The city Jerusalem is situated in the very middle; on which account some have, with sagacity enough, called that city the Navel of the country. Nor indeed is Judea destitute of such delights as come from the sea, since its maritime places extend as far as Ptolemais: it was parted into eleven portions, of which the royal city Jerusalem was the supreme, and presided over all the neighboring country, as the head does over the body. As to the other cities that were inferior to it, they presided over their several toparchies; Gophna was the second of those cities, and next to that Acrabatta, after them Thamna, and Lydda, and Emmaus, and Pella, and Idumea, and Engaddi, and Herodium, and Jericho; and after them came Jamnia and Joppa, as presiding over the neighboring people; and besides these there was the region of Gamala, and Gaulonitis, and Batanea, and Trachonitis, which are also parts of the kingdom of Agrippa. This [last] country begins at Mount Libanus, and the fountains of Jordan, and reaches breadthways to the lake of Tiberias; and in length is extended from a village called Arpha, as far as Julias. Its inhabitants are a mixture of Jews and Syrians. And thus have I, with all possible brevity, described the country of Judea, and those that lie round about it. .."