Hadrinus Augustus

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Hadrinus Augustus

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Would anyone know the Hebrew gematria for Hadrian's name or the name that appears on his coins?

Online gematria calculators are useless. Plus I can't make out how augustus is spelled on these coins (I can't read Greek) and it is important that it is this spelling. Also, if anyone would know how Hadrian's name was spelled in Hebrew would be helpful as the Midrash I looked up has his name redacted in the Hebrew.

And yes, I'm an idiot. That's why I'm asking for help.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Hadrinus Augustus

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:26 pm Would anyone know the Hebrew gematria for Hadrian's name or the name that appears on his coins?

Online gematria calculators are useless. Plus I can't make out how augustus is spelled on these coins (I can't read Greek) and it is important that it is this spelling. Also, if anyone would know how Hadrian's name was spelled in Hebrew would be helpful as the Midrash I looked up has his name redacted in the Hebrew.
I cannot speak to Hadrian's coinage in general. However, first of all, the coin shown in your OP is in Latin, not in Greek, and Augustus is abbreviated to AUG. Second, Hadrian's name can be rendered in a few different ways in Hebrew (as most Greek or Latin names can be).

I will just cut to the chase here and link you to something I am quite certain will interest you:

Daniel Völter on Hadrian.png
Daniel Völter on Hadrian.png (117 KiB) Viewed 16977 times

That is Daniel Völter arguing in 1882 in a book entitled Die Entstehung der Apokalypse that the name Traianus Hadrianus, in Hebrew, can account both for the 666 and for the 616 in Revelation 13.18. I have confirmed from Genesis Rabbah 13.9 on Sefaria that אדרינוס is a valid spelling of Hadrian (so too is אדריאנוס, which would add 1 to the total). I have not checked for the variants of the name of Trajan, however. (Also, my German is close to nonexistent; I have merely read his argument summarized in other sources and looked up the original page in German from the information they gave me.)

So, unless I miss my mark on what may or may not interest you, Merry Belated Christmas.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:55 pm I cannot speak to Hadrian's coinage in general. However, first of all, the coin shown in your OP is in Latin, not in Greek, and Augustus is abbreviated to AUG.
Ah okay. I see it now. It was throwing me off because after the AUG is a bunch of characters that I couldn't makes heads or tails of. (Coin humour).
Second, Hadrian's name can be rendered in a few different ways in Hebrew (as most Greek or Latin names can be).

I will just cut to the chase here and link you to something I am quite certain will interest you:

Daniel Völter on Hadrian.png

That is Daniel Völter arguing in 1882 in a book entitled Die Entstehung der Apokalypse that the name Traianus Hadrianus, in Hebrew, can account both for the 666 and for the 616 in Revelation 13.18. I have confirmed from Genesis Rabbah 13.9 on Sefaria that אדרינוס is a valid spelling of Hadrian (so too is אדריאנוס, which would add 1 to the total). I have not checked for the variants of the name of Trajan, however. (Also, my German is close to nonexistent; I have merely read his argument summarized in other sources and looked up the original page in German from the information they gave me.)

So, unless I miss my mark on what may or may not interest you, Merry Belated Christmas.
Dude you've done all my work for me! lol Merry Christmas indeed!

Thanks a lot Ben.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 pmIt was throwing me off because after the AUG is a bunch of characters that I couldn't makes heads or tails of. (Coin humour).
Understandable. The complete inscription is, with spaces added for clarity: HADRIANUS AUG COS III PP, which means, "Hadrian Augustus, thrice Consul, Pater Patriae." (Pater Patriae = Father of His Country.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:53 am
Joseph D. L. wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 pmIt was throwing me off because after the AUG is a bunch of characters that I couldn't makes heads or tails of. (Coin humour).
Understandable. The complete inscription is, with spaces added for clarity: HADRIANUS AUG COS III PP, which means, "Hadrian Augustus, thrice Consul, Pater Patriae." (Pater Patriae = Father of His Country.)
And my utter ignorance of Greek and Latin is revealed!

Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:08 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:53 am
And my utter ignorance of Greek and Latin is revealed!
Well, Greek and Latin are one thing; numismatic inscriptions, especially the abbreviations, are quite another. I still have to look up many of them (for example, in this case, I knew immediately what COS III meant, but I could not recall what PP meant, so I consulted a page about Greek and Roman coins).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I don't think Trajan appears in any Aramaic writings anywhere. At least from what I remember from Jastrow.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

טְרָיָינָא m. (v. next w.) Trajanic. Ab. Zar. 52ᵇ דינרא ט׳ והדריינא שיפא Ms. M. (ed. הדרייאנא טוריינא) the Trajanic and Hadrianic denars which were rubbed off; Bekh. 50ᵃ bot. הדריינא טירייאנא שייאפא; ib. top ה׳ טרינא שייפא (Tosaf. טריינא).
טְרָיָינוֹס, טוּרְ׳ (variously corrupted, the j sound being rendered by ג or כ) pr. n. m. Trajanus, the Roman emperor. Taan. 18ᵇ (טר׳ a. טור׳); Treat. S’maḥoth ch. VIII טרגיא׳; Sifra Emor Par. 8, ch. IX מריינוס (corr. acc.); Y. Taan. II, 66ᵃ top טיריון. Y. Succ. V, 55ᵇ top טרוגיונוס; Lam. R. to I, 16; ib. to IV, 19, a. e. טרכינוס. Ib. to III, 2; 4; a. e. (v. Joel, Blicke in die Religionsgesch. I, p. 17, sq.).—טְרָיָינִי (genitive of Trajanus) Trajan’s (followers). Ib. to I, 17 טרכיני, v. אִסְפַּסְיָינִי.

Wrong again https://www.sefaria.org/Jastrow%2C_%D7% ... l&lang2=en
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

This might be a dumb question but is there a difference in calculating letters between Hebrew and Aramaic?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

There is no difference.