A question about the Logion of tribute

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

A question about the Logion of tribute

Post by Giuseppe »

I would like to know what is the apocryphal gospel where, about the famous logion about the tribute, the question by pharisees to tempt Jesus was not what we know, but precisely this (I translate):

s it permissible to give back TO THE KINGS what suits their office?

Thanks in advance.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: A question about the Logion of tribute

Post by Giuseppe »

My source says that the quote is from papyrus Egerton II, discovered in Egypt in 1935.
Giuseppe

Re: A question about the Logion of tribute

Post by Giuseppe »

I have found the quote:

Fragment 2: Recto (?)
. . . coming unto him began to tempt him with a question, saying, Master Jesus, we know that thou art come from God, for the things which thou doest testify above all the prophets. Tell us therefore: Is it lawful [? to render] unto kings that which pertaineth unto their rule? [Shall we render unto them], or not? But Jesus, knowing their thought, being moved with indignation, said unto them, Why call ye me with your mouth Master, when ye hear not what I say? Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying, This people honour me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. In vain do they worship me, [teaching as their doctrines the] precepts [of men] . . .

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/egerton.html

This confirms my suspicion: these 'kings' are the demonic Archons.