Past or future?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Refael Shalev

Past or future?

Post by Refael Shalev »

Does the bible talk about the past or the future?
Joseph D. L.

Re: Past or future?

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Past? Genesis to Acts of the Apostles. Future? Revelations
Refael Shalev

Post by Refael Shalev »

Thanks Joseph.

So if you and I living in the time of Judges and I asking this question above, what will you say?

I hope to find the answer to "since when the need to refer to the future began ".
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

In the case of Joshua as the 'one like Moses' ancient Christians certainly thought that he meant their Jesus. But now even that is in the past. Perhaps it is best to say that AT ONE TIME it was argued that the Torah spoke of the future and it was used to found Christianity but now that sort of argument isn't as persuasive.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Refael Shalev

Post by Refael Shalev »

I don't understand.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

1. let's say the Torah was written by Ezra at the start of the Persian period
2. the gospel was written c. 70 CE
3. there are some who argued that 'Jesus' is nothing more than Joshua redivivus - i.e. the resurrected Patriarch Joshua from the Torah
4. to that end while the Torah seems to be speaking about things in the past it was understood by early Christians to be really foretelling the coming of Joshua as the one like Moses.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote