Jesus' eyewitnesses never becoming Christians

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
davidmartin

Re: Jesus' eyewitnesses never becoming Christians

Post by davidmartin »

mlinssen wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 am
davidmartin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:18 am True, if it there's no historical basis there (the mythologist view) any digging into these texts would only be of value to the myth making process and identifying external sources of inspiration (scriptural, pagan, whatever).
but the early writings of the NT sure sound like they are responding to an ongoing process of historical events, one doesn't need to be a biblical apologist to think so. the line between myth and accounts of historical events is blurry as hell
It doesn't have to be a direct witness, a generation or two later would still work
[emphasis mine]
That's not how the mind works; that's not how humans work - that's not how the world works. Myth can be as true as reality, and vice versa

We don't need reality, or Reality - all we need is to blieve that something is true, or True.
Remember Santa? It was real as long as you believed in it.
Remember the first crush you had on your first girl (or boy)? That Love was real, Real, REAL! You thought, perhaps even knew, that you would die if it would go unanswered for very long (or something)

I could go on for many pages, but all we need to presuppose about the whole Jesus-thang is that people believed (parts of) it to be true (enough).

Like a (not so) fun experiment?
Everyone who responds to me here takes me seriously - but what if I have played you all from the beginning, lied about everything, just debated along with you in order to keep you busy, at bay, fooled?

It would change everything, wouldn't it? But that would be awkward, as it couldn't change anything at all about reality, that which happened - all it changes is the perception in your mind about something that occurred as it occurred when it occurred, and now you're frantically trying to change your opinion on all of it.
Because we all live by Truth, and truth alone - reality never comes into play. So historicity of anything? It matters nowt (sic)
interesting reply there,
don't we all share the same reality though? that same old clodden earth
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

davidmartin wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 am interesting reply there,
don't we all share the same reality though? that same old clodden earth
We most certainly do, but, like the proverbial elephant in the room, we all look at it differently

Plato in the cave. We only interact with the shadows of the images - those that reside in our heads. I never interact with you or even with what you say - I react to the impressions I make of what you write

Reality doesn't manifest, in that sense.
Well it does, but hardly anyone (no references there!) interacts with it in pure form. It's all rather banal Sunday afternoon philosophy really. So reality can actually change and we continue our lives as they were without even noticing

Hence the experiment. My intentions could have been different but as long as they don't affect your truth (I allegedly didn't tell you of my malign intentions which you assumed and perceived as benign), nothing changes for you.
Then I tell you, and as my actions are all in the past their reality can't change anymore, but the opinions on them in your head do

And that's all that matters. And why religion can exist in its countless forms, because each version is a cocreated world sustained by its followers. And hence, everyone can be right about his own version because its Truth is formed in unison, groupthink

"You may think you can fly, but you better not try"

[youtube]https://youtu.be/CvCE_Rrc5hI[/youtube]
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ab6uxg908&t=44s

"Sayin' it's so don't make it so..."

Investment Hint: Don't invest too much in "Dominion" or "Smartmatic". Just sayin'.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

To Ben,
Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 am
Bernard Muller wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:20 am2) to Ben: it does not look here that Papias put Paradise into the heavens.
He also did not put Paradise in the nether realm. I told you all along that Paradise was routinely located either on the earth or in the heavens.
If Paradise is on earth, why is it described so close to hell in gLuke?
And would that make sense to have Abraham somewhere on earth?

Anyway, Paradise on earth (or in the underworld) goes again Paul location of Paradise in third heaven.

Note: I suspect "third" (heaven) was not written by Paul. Initially, it was just "heaven".
And the same for Paradise, probably replacing "heaven" as written by Paul.
Unfortunately, I only have arguments from silence supporting my suspicion (Paul never itemized the heavens or used "Paradise" again).

Cordially, Bernard
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

If any place God's will is done = paradise, then the prayer that "your will be done on earth as in heaven" means paradise will be on the earth as it is in heaven? what Luke says comes across as some moral story telling a little bit like a fable type story almost