Mtt vs Lk on father, mother, brothers and sisters of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Mtt vs Lk on father, mother, brothers and sisters of Jesus

Post by gryan »

Matthew

Genealogy names Joseph and Mary

David was the father of Solomon by Uriah’s wife,
Solomon the father of Rehoboam...
and Jacob
the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary,
of whom was born Jesus
, who is called Christ. 1:6-16

Conflict between literal and metaphorical "mother and brothers"

While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, His mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to Him. Someone told Him, “Look, Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to You.”But Jesus replied, “Who is My mother, and who are My brothers?” Pointing to His disciples, He said, “Here are My mother and My brothers. For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”12:46-50

Hometown crowd names "carpenter," names Mary, names brothers and mentions that there are sisters.

Coming to His hometown, He taught the people in their synagogue, and they were astonished. “Where did this man get such wisdom and miraculous powers?” they asked. “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t His mother’s name Mary, and aren’t His brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? Aren’t all His sisters with us as well? Where then did this man get all these things?” And they took offense at Him. 13:54-57

Luke

Genealogy names Joseph but not Mary

Jesus Himself was about thirty years old when He began His ministry.
He was regarded as the son of Joseph, the son of Heli...
...the son of Nathan
, the son of David,
the son of Jesse, 3:23-32

Hometown crowd names Joseph only

Then Jesus came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up…. All spoke well of Him and marveled at the gracious words that came from His lips. “Isn’t this the son of Joseph?” they asked. Lk 4:16-22

Softens conflict between literal and metaphorical "mother and brothers"

Then Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see Him, but they were unable to reach Him because of the crowd. He was told, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see You.” But He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear the word of God and carry it out.” Lk 12:19-21

What's going on here?
rgprice

Re: Mtt vs Lk on father, mother, brothers and sisters of Jesus

Post by rgprice »

This is a part of the issue, indicating that a different person wrote the birth narrative than wrote the main body.

Luke does clearly associate Jesus with Mary in the birth narrative: Luke 2: 34 Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother:

Mary is mentioned far more times in the birth narrative than Joseph.

Then once you get past 3:1, Mary disappears. That's a big part of the argument for 2 stages of writing.