Part A: Time Period 275-325

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Part A: Time Period 275-325

Post by Peter Kirby »

In other news, it's my birthday today. And after a few years as a software engineer, part of me is wondering what comes next. My life sometimes reminds me of Thomas Hardy's novel, Jude the Obscure, which we read in high school. Will I ever be able to afford to be a stone mason no longer and become a scholar? Some day, perhaps. I'd really like to write that dissertation on First Clement that is stuck in my brain.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:36 pm Notable for having an explicit date (the majority of inscriptions, unfortunately, do not) and the word Χρειστιανοι.

It's slightly before the tetrarchy time period, and I've been saving the earlier stuff for later, but I guess there can be some fuzziness here. Or to expand the time period in question explicitly right now, I will be gathering things from Probus (emperor from 276) to Constantine, with a pre-325 focus, a span of about fifty years.

(xi) Tomb Inscription of Family from Temenothyrai [278-279]

T.D. Barnes, Montanist Inscriptions and Testimonia, p. 242

In the year 363, the tenth of the month Pereitios. Eutyches son of Eutyches, (prepared this tomb) for Tatia his wife and for his father, in memory; Christans [Χρειστιανοι]; and for himself. Phellinas. From Temenothyrai.

Iss the TD Barnes source implying the inscription is Montanist? If so what are 5he clues that point to it?
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 pm In other news, it's my birthday today.
Happy Birth-Of-Day ----- everyday !!
And after a few years as a software engineer, part of me is wondering what comes next. My life sometimes reminds me of Thomas Hardy's novel, Jude the Obscure, which we read in high school. Will I ever be able to afford to be a stone mason no longer and become a scholar? Some day, perhaps. I'd really like to write that dissertation on First Clement that is stuck in my brain.
Follow your aspirations. Be well. And good luck with everything.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

perseusomega9 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:44 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:36 pm Notable for having an explicit date (the majority of inscriptions, unfortunately, do not) and the word Χρειστιανοι.

It's slightly before the tetrarchy time period, and I've been saving the earlier stuff for later, but I guess there can be some fuzziness here. Or to expand the time period in question explicitly right now, I will be gathering things from Probus (emperor from 276) to Constantine, with a pre-325 focus, a span of about fifty years.

In the year 363, the tenth of the month Pereitios. Eutyches son of Eutyches, (prepared this tomb) for Tatia his wife and for his father, in memory; Christans [Χρειστιανοι]; and for himself. Phellinas. From Temenothyrai.

Iss the TD Barnes source implying the inscription is Montanist? If so what are 5he clues that point to it?
Montanists were supposedly more keen on telling the world they were Christian believers than was the mainstream Church. (Remember that although at the time of this tomb Christians were not being persecuted Christianity was still controversial.)

Andrew Criddle
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

perseusomega9 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:44 am

There's a comment on most items in the book along the lines that it's really hard to identify with confidence specifically Montanist inscriptions.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:26 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 pm In other news, it's my birthday today.
Happy Birth-Of-Day ----- everyday !!
And after a few years as a software engineer, part of me is wondering what comes next. My life sometimes reminds me of Thomas Hardy's novel, Jude the Obscure, which we read in high school. Will I ever be able to afford to be a stone mason no longer and become a scholar? Some day, perhaps. I'd really like to write that dissertation on First Clement that is stuck in my brain.
Follow your aspirations. Be well. And good luck with everything.
Thanks!
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Happy Birthday. It is possible to publish papers without a PhD. On top of it, you're kind of famous in this niche community. Brakke would likely seriously consider whatever you've written over at the JEC. He's a good guy.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I could get you published somewhere. Trust me it has to be easier that turning my son into a professional footballer. I have known many people who followed the academic route. They're all of a certain type. You know, "office worker." I remember when Benny told me I didn't seem like an academic. I took it as a compliment. We were in a strip club when he said it. But still
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I know, but I believe it's only right to follow the expected path here in the 21st century. I don't want to burden a reader with knowing that they're being asked to entertain a software engineer's ramblings, when there's enough noise in this world as it is. I'd rather earn it, and there's much that I'd like to learn about the languages of Greek, Latin, and Coptic, among other things.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Do so before the collapse of civilization. My advice.