JC

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
ghost

JC

Post by ghost »

May I ask… :twisted:

Where did the Roman imperial cult go? :consternation:
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: JC

Post by Peter Kirby »

I think they stopped doing it after the last non-Christian Roman emperor. :consternation:
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

I don't know myself. But the imperial cult was a state thing. So when Theodosius banned paganism, I imagine it just stopped.

Interesting question.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

The decline of the formal imperial cult was gradual.
The last emperor in the East to be called Divus upon his death was Anastasius in 518 Rituals of Royalty (The practice died out earlier in the West but this seems to be part of the loss of status of the 5th century western puppet emperors. )

On the other hand Constantine probably banned sacrifices as part of the imperial cult.

Andrew Criddle
Thor

Post by Thor »

Charlemagne, king of the Romans, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Coronation granted by the Pontifex Maximus, Bishop of Rome. Although this remnant of the past empire Rome had been, the divine right of the King with support from the Church continued with the new kingdoms emerging out of the ashes of antiquity.

Karolus serenissimus Augustus a Deo coronatus magnus pacificus imperator Romanum gubernans imperium

Supposedly used as national motto with Richard Lionheart under the Crusades.

Nothing ever simply just end. It takes new forms and functions, while at the core remains the same.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

ghost wrote:May I ask… :twisted:

Where did the Roman imperial cult go? :consternation:

The role of "Pontifex Maximus" was abandoned by the Christian Emperors and assumed by Damasus, rightful Bishop of Rome, in the later 4th century. One might answer this question .... "Where did the Roman imperial cult go?" ... by saying it was partly subsumed into the Christian cult by the transfer of the role of Pontifex Maximus from the Emperor - head of the pagan priesthood - to the Pope of Rome (Damasus, the thug) and the Christian priesthood.

It is interesting to note that JC bribed his way into the role of "Pontifex Maximus" and the role was performed by (most? all?) Roman Emperors until Damasus assumed it.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote: It is interesting to note that JC bribed his way into the role of "Pontifex Maximus" ...
"JC"??

if so, "bribed his way into the role ..."??
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

MrMacSon wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote: It is interesting to note that JC bribed his way into the role of "Pontifex Maximus" ...
"JC"??

if so, "bribed his way into the role ..."??

Julius Caesar saw that it was politically expedient for him to be able to assume the role of "Pontifex Maximus".

He bribed his way to hold that position.

I don't have the sources for this at hand.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]