Rules for all posts in The Podium:
(1) Every subject line must begin with "Debate:", "Q&A:", or "Note:" to indicate what kind of thread follows.
(2) Strictly no flaming, no trolling, no insults, no parody, no ad hominem, no vulgarity, no personal comments, and nothing that could otherwise reasonably be considered offensive or that distracts from the subject being discussed.
Rules for all Debate: threads:
(1) Every "Debate:" thread must consist of a panel of two to six participants who have agreed to participate in the debate.
(2) The participants must further agree regarding the topic of the debate, the number of rounds, who posts first/second/last/etc., and the maximum length of each post in words.
(3) Non-participants are prohibited from posting in the debate thread and will be asked to post in a different thread, in a different forum, for comments regarding the debate. This thread will be linked by a moderator.
(4) Please use the designated thread in this forum for arranging debates.
(5) Threads are locked after all closing statements or 14-30 days after the last post.
Rules for all Q&A: threads:
(1) No permission or agreement is required to start a "Q&A:" thread, but there may be only one person answering questions.
(2) The first, original post ("OP") must be at least 1,000 words in length, with no maximum limit, and must defend or explore a particular idea.
(3) Anyone may post to direct a specific question or questions to the author of the OP.
(4) There is a maximum word limit of 750 for posts with questions (and a maximum limit of 5 posts per thread per questioner).
(5) Only the author of the OP may answer questions. There is no minimum or maximum length expected of answers.
(6) As an alternative to writing extensive rebuttals or answering a question intended for the author of the OP, please either invite the author of the OP to a debate or continue the discussion in another relevant forum on the board.
(7) Threads are locked 14-30 days after the OP is posted.
Rules for all Note: threads:
(1) No permission or agreement is required to write a "Note:" thread.
(2) The first, original post ("OP") must be 750 or fewer words in length (not counting quotations) and must not defend a controversial idea.
(3) Ideally a note makes a neutral, factual reference to some point of data, whether a reference to an article or the primary literature.
(4) Neutral and factual references to additional, related data is permitted. These replies must also be 750 or fewer words in length (not counting quotations) and must not defend a controversial idea or otherwise contain opinion, speculation, or any other form of argumentative discussion.
(5) You may create a related discussion in another relevant forum on the board.
(6) Threads remain unlocked to allow facts and references to accumulate over time.
Formal debates, Q&A topics, or brief notes only.
1 post • Page 1 of 1