The Marcionite epistles to the Corinthians with sources.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

The Marcionite epistles to the Corinthians with sources.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

This thread is a simple reconstruction of the Marcionite version of the epistles of Paul to the Corinthians. Refer to my index of Marcionite epistles for more information.

The following chapter index may help navigate the epistles:
But we begin the so-called Marcionite prologue to the epistles:

To the Corinthians: Corinthii sunt Achaei. et hi similiter ab apostolis audierunt verbum veritatis et subversi multifarie a falsis apostolis, quidam a philosophiae verbosa eloquentia, alii a secta legis Iudiciae* inducti. hos revocat ad veram et evangelicam sapientiam scribens eis ab Epheso per Timotheum. / Corinthians are of Achaia. And these similarly heard the word of truth from the apostle and were perverted variously by false apostles, some by the wordy eloquence of philosophy, others brought in by the sect of the Jewish law. These the apostle recalls to true evangelical wisdom, writing to them from Ephesus by Timothy.

The above is often regarded as prefacing both epistles to the Corinthians in the Marcionite edition, but a separate preface is extant in Latin manuscripts for the second epistle over and against the first, for which the above is reserved:

Post actam paenitentiam consolatorias scribit eis a Troade et conlaudans eos hortatur ad meliora. / After penitence was made, he writes a consolatory letter to them from Troas, and in praising them he exhorts them on to better things.

And now the introduction by Epiphanius to the elenchi for these epistles:

Ἀπὸ τῆς πρὸς Κορινθίους ἐπιστολῆς <<α>>· αὕτη γὰρ παρ' αὐτοῖς δευτέρα καὶ παρ' ἡμῖν. .... Τῆς πρὸς Κορινθίους <β>· αὕτη δὲ τρίτη κεῖται παρὰ τῷ Μαρκίωνι, μετηλλαγμένως δὲ διὰ τὸ πρώτην παρ' αὐτῷ τετάχθαι τὴν πρὸς Γαλάτας. / From the first Epistle to the Corinthians, for this is their second Epistle and ours. .... From the Second Epistle to the Corinthians. This stands third in Marcion but in an altered way, since in his canon Galatians is placed first.

Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Re: The Marcionite epistles to the Corinthians with sources.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 1.1-31.

1 Παῦλος κλητὸς ἀπόστολος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ διὰ θελήματος Θεοῦ καὶ Σωσθένης ὁ ἀδελφὸς 2 τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ τοῦ Θεοῦ τῇ οὔσῃ ἐν Κορίνθῳ, ἡγιασμένοις ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, κλητοῖς ἁγίοις, σὺν πᾶσιν τοῖς ἐπικαλουμένοις τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐν παντὶ τόπῳ, αὐτῶν καὶ ἡμῶν· 3 χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη ἀπὸ Θεοῦ Πατρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ. 4 Εὐχαριστῶ τῷ Θεῷ πάντοτε περὶ ὑμῶν ἐπὶ τῇ χάριτι τοῦ Θεοῦ τῇ δοθείσῃ ὑμῖν ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, 5 ὅτι ἐν παντὶ ἐπλουτίσθητε ἐν αὐτῷ, ἐν παντὶ λόγῳ καὶ πάσῃ γνώσει, 6 καθὼς τὸ μαρτύριον τοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐβεβαιώθη ἐν ὑμῖν, 7 ὥστε ὑμᾶς μὴ ὑστερεῖσθαι ἐν μηδενὶ χαρίσματι, ἀπεκδεχομένους τὴν ἀποκάλυψιν τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ· 8 ὃς καὶ βεβαιώσει ὑμᾶς ἕως τέλους ἀνεγκλήτους ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ. 9 πιστὸς ὁ Θεὸς, δι’ οὗ ἐκλήθητε εἰς κοινωνίαν τοῦ Υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν. 10 Παρακαλῶ δὲ ὑμᾶς, ἀδελφοί, διὰ τοῦ ὀνόματος τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, ἵνα τὸ αὐτὸ λέγητε πάντες, καὶ μὴ ᾖ ἐν ὑμῖν σχίσματα, ἦτε δὲ κατηρτισμένοι ἐν τῷ αὐτῷ νοῒ καὶ ἐν τῇ αὐτῇ γνώμῃ. 11 ἐδηλώθη γάρ μοι περὶ ὑμῶν, ἀδελφοί μου, ὑπὸ τῶν Χλόης, ὅτι ἔριδες ἐν ὑμῖν εἰσιν. 12 λέγω δὲ τοῦτο, ὅτι ἕκαστος ὑμῶν λέγει Ἐγὼ μέν εἰμι Παύλου, Ἐγὼ δὲ Ἀπολλῶ, Ἐγὼ δὲ Κηφᾶ, Ἐγὼ δὲ Χριστοῦ. 13 μεμέρισται ὁ Χριστός; μὴ Παῦλος ἐσταυρώθη ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν, ἢ εἰς τὸ ὄνομα Παύλου ἐβαπτίσθητε; 14 εὐχαριστῶ ὅτι οὐδένα ὑμῶν ἐβάπτισα εἰ μὴ Κρίσπον καὶ Γάϊον· 15 ἵνα μή τις εἴπῃ ὅτι εἰς τὸ ἐμὸν ὄνομα ἐβαπτίσθητε. 16 ἐβάπτισα δὲ καὶ τὸν Στεφανᾶ οἶκον· λοιπὸν οὐκ οἶδα εἴ τινα ἄλλον ἐβάπτισα. 17 οὐ γὰρ ἀπέστειλέν με Χριστὸς βαπτίζειν ἀλλὰ εὐαγγελίζεσθαι, οὐκ ἐν σοφίᾳ λόγου, ἵνα μὴ κενωθῇ ὁ σταυρὸς τοῦ Χριστοῦ. 18 Ὁ λόγος γὰρ ὁ τοῦ σταυροῦ τοῖς μὲν ἀπολλυμένοις μωρία ἐστίν, τοῖς δὲ σῳζομένοις ἡμῖν δύναμις Θεοῦ ἐστιν. 19 γέγραπται γάρ Ἀπολῶ τὴν σοφίαν τῶν σοφῶν, καὶ τὴν σύνεσιν τῶν συνετῶν ἀθετήσω. 20 ποῦ σοφός; ποῦ γραμματεύς; ποῦ συνζητητὴς τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου; οὐχὶ ἐμώρανεν ὁ Θεὸς τὴν σοφίαν τοῦ κόσμου; 21 ἐπειδὴ γὰρ ἐν τῇ σοφίᾳ τοῦ Θεοῦ οὐκ ἔγνω ὁ κόσμος διὰ τῆς σοφίας τὸν Θεόν, εὐδόκησεν ὁ Θεὸς διὰ τῆς μωρίας τοῦ κηρύγματος σῶσαι τοὺς πιστεύοντας. 22 ἐπειδὴ καὶ Ἰουδαῖοι σημεῖα αἰτοῦσιν καὶ Ἕλληνες σοφίαν ζητοῦσιν, 23 ἡμεῖς δὲ κηρύσσομεν Χριστὸν ἐσταυρωμένον, Ἰουδαίοις μὲν σκάνδαλον, ἔθνεσιν δὲ μωρίαν, 24 αὐτοῖς δὲ τοῖς κλητοῖς, Ἰουδαίοις τε καὶ Ἕλλησιν, Χριστὸν Θεοῦ δύναμιν καὶ Θεοῦ σοφίαν. 25 ὅτι τὸ μωρὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ σοφώτερον τῶν ἀνθρώπων ἐστίν, καὶ τὸ ἀσθενὲς τοῦ Θεοῦ ἰσχυρότερον τῶν ἀνθρώπων. 26 Βλέπετε γὰρ τὴν κλῆσιν ὑμῶν, ἀδελφοί, ὅτι οὐ πολλοὶ σοφοὶ κατὰ σάρκα, οὐ πολλοὶ δυνατοί, οὐ πολλοὶ εὐγενεῖς· 27 ἀλλὰ τὰ μωρὰ τοῦ κόσμου ἐξελέξατο ὁ Θεός ἵνα καταισχύνῃ τοὺς σοφούς, καὶ τὰ ἀσθενῆ τοῦ κόσμου ἐξελέξατο ὁ Θεός ἵνα καταισχύνῃ τὰ ἰσχυρά, 28 καὶ τὰ ἀγενῆ τοῦ κόσμου καὶ τὰ ἐξουθενημένα ἐξελέξατο ὁ Θεός, τὰ μὴ ὄντα, ἵνα τὰ ὄντα καταργήσῃ, 29 ὅπως μὴ καυχήσηται πᾶσα σὰρξ ἐνώπιον τοῦ Θεοῦ. 30 ἐξ αὐτοῦ δὲ ὑμεῖς ἐστε ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, ὃς ἐγενήθη σοφία ἡμῖν ἀπὸ Θεοῦ, δικαιοσύνη τε καὶ ἁγιασμὸς καὶ ἀπολύτρωσις, 31 ἵνα καθὼς γέγραπται Ὁ καυχώμενος ἐν Κυρίῳ καυχάσθω. 1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes, 2 to the assembly of God which is at Corinth—those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called saints, with all who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, both theirs and ours: 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 4 I always thank my God concerning you, for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus; 5 that in everything you were enriched in him, in all speech and all knowledge; 6 even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: 7 so that you come behind in no gift; waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ; 8 who will also confirm you until the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. 10 Now I beg you, brothers, through the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me concerning you, my brothers, by those who are from Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,” and, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one should say that I had baptized you into my own name. 16 (I also baptized the household of Stephanas; besides them, I don’t know whether I baptized any other.) 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the Good News—not in wisdom of words, so that the cross of Christ wouldn’t be made void. 18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are dying, but to us who are being saved it is the power and wisdom of God. 19 For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise. I will bring the discernment of the discerning to nothing.” 20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the lawyer of this world? Hasn’t God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe. 22 For Jews ask for signs, Greeks seek after wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews, and foolishness to Greeks, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God; 25 because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For you see your calling, brothers, that not many are wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, and not many noble; 27 but God chose the foolish things of the world that he might put to shame those who are wise. God chose the weak things of the world that he might put to shame the things that are strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of the world, and the things that are despised, and the things that don’t exist, that he might bring to nothing the things that exist, 29a that no flesh should boast [criterion 1:] 29b before God. 30 Because of him, you are in Christ Jesus, who was made to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption: 31 that, as it is written, “He who boasts, let him boast in the Lord.”

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.5.1-2: [1] Praestructio superioris epistulae ita duxit, ut de titulo eius non retractaverim, certus et alibi retractari eum posse, communem scilicet et eundem in epistulis omnibus. Quod non utique salutem praescribit eis quibus scribit, sed gratiam et pacem, non dico. Quid illi cum Iudaico adhuc more, destructori Iudaismi? Nam et hodie Iudaei in pacis nomine appellant, et retro in scripturis sic salutabant. Sed intellego illum defendisse officio suo praedicationem creatoris: Quam maturi pedes evangelizantium bona, evangelizantium pacem. [2] Evangelizator enim bonorum, id est gratiae dei, pacem quam praeferendam sciebat. Haec cum a deo patre nostro et domino Iesu annuntians communibus nominibus utatur, competentibus nostro quoque sacramento, non puto dispici posse quis deus pater et dominus Iesus praedicetur, nisi ex accedentibus cui magis competant. / [1] My preliminary remarks on the preceding epistle called me away from treating of its superscription, for I was sure that another opportunity would occur for considering the matter, it being of constant recurrence, and in the same form too, in every epistle. The point, then, is, that it is not (the usual) health which the apostle prescribes for those to whom he writes, but "grace and peace." I do not ask, indeed, what a destroyer of Judaism has to do with a formula which the Jews still use. For to this day they salute each other with the greeting of "peace," and formerly in their Scriptures they did the same. But I understand him by his practice plainly enough to have corroborated the declaration of the Creator: "How beautiful are the feet of them that bring glad tidings of good, who preach the gospel of peace!" [2] For the herald of good, that is, of God's "grace" was well aware that along with it "peace" also was to be proclaimed. Now, when he announces these blessings as "from God the Father and the Lord Jesus," he uses titles that are common to both, and which are also adapted to the mystery of our faith; and I suppose it to be impossible accurately to determine what God is declared to be the Father and the Lord Jesus, unless (we consider) which of their accruing attributes are more suited to them severally.
Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.5.5: [5] Ait crucem Christi stultitiam esse perituris, virtutem autem et sapientiam dei salutem consecuturis; et ut ostenderet unde hoc eveniret, adicit: Scriptum est enim, Perdam sapientiam sapientium et prudentiam prudentium irritam faciam. Si haec creatoris sunt, et quae ad causam crucis pertinent stultitiae deputat, ergo ct crux et per crucem Christus ad creatorem pertinebit, a quo praedicatum est quod ad crucem pertinet. / [5] "The cross of Christ," he says, "is to them that perish foolishness; but unto such as shall obtain salvation, it is the power of God and the wisdom of God." And then, that we may known from whence this comes, he adds: "For it is written, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.' " Now, since these are the Creator's words, and since what pertains to the doctrine of the cross he accounts as foolishness, therefore both the cross, and also Christ by reason of the cross, will appertain to the Creator, by whom were predicted the incidents of the cross.
Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.5.7-10: [7] Hoc sequentia confirmabunt, cum dicit, Nonne infatuavit deus sapientiam mundi? cumque et hic adicit quare: Quoniam in dei sapientia non intellexit mundus per sapientiam dominum, boni duxit deus per stultitiam praedicationis salvos facere credentes. Sed prius de mundo disceptabo, quatenus subtilissimi haeretici hic vel maxime mundum per dominum mundi interpretantur, nos autem hominem qui sit in mundo intellegimus, ex forma simplici loquelae humanae, qua plerumque id quod continet ponimus pro eo quod continetur. Circus clamavit, et forum locutum est, et basilica fremuit, id est qui in his locis rem egerunt. Igitur quia homo, non deus, mundi in sapientia non cognovit deum, quem cognoscere debuerat, et Iudaeus in sapientia scripturarum et omnis gens in sapientia operum, ideo deus idem qui in sapientia sua non erat agnitus statuit sapientiam hominum stultitia repercutere, salvos faciendo credentes quosque in stultam crucis praedicationem. [8] Quoniam Iudaei signa desiderant, qui iam de deo certi esse debuerant, et Graeci sapientiam quaerunt, qui suam scilicet, non dei, sapientiam sistunt. Ceterum si novus deus praedicaretur, quid deliquerant Iudaei signa desiderantes quibus crederent, aut Graeci sapientiam sectantes cui magis crederent? Ita et remuneratio ipsa in Iudaeos et Graecos et zeloten deum confirmat et iudicem, qui ex retributione aemula et iudice infatuaverit sapientiam mundi. Quodsi eius sunt et causae cuius adhibentur scripturae, ergo de creatore tractans apostolus non intellecto creatorem utique docet intellegendum. [9] Etiam quod scandalum Iudaeis praedicat Christum, prophetiam super illo consignat creatoris, dicentis per Esaiam, Ecce posui in Sion lapidem offensionis et petram scandali. Petra autem fuit Christus: etiam Marcion servat. Quid est autem stultum dei sapientius hominibus, nisi crux et mors Christi? Quid infirmum dei fortius homine, nisi nativitas et caro dei? Ceterum si nec natus ex virgine Christus nec carne constructus ac per hoc neque crucem neque mortem vere perpessus est, nihil in illo fuit stultum et infirmum; nec iam stulta mundi elegit deus ut confundat sapientiam, nec infirma mundi elegit deus ut confundat fortia, nec inhonesta et minima et contemptibilia, quae non sunt, id est quae non vere sunt, ut confundat quae sunt, id est quae vere sunt. Nihil enim a deo dispositum est vere modicum et ignobile et contemptibile, sed quod ab homine. Apud creatorem autem etiam vetera stultitiae et infirmitati et inhonestati et pusillitati et contemptui deputari possunt. [10] Quid stultius, quid infirmius, quam sacrificiorum cruentorum et holocaustomatum nidorosorum a deo exactio? Quid infirmius quam vasculorum et grabatorum purgatio? Quid inhonestius quam carnis iam erubescentis alia dedecoratio? Quid tam humile quam talionis indictio? Quid tam contemptibile quam ciborum exceptio? Totum, quod sciam, vetus testamentum omnis haereticus irridet. Stulta enim mundi elegit deus, ut confundat sapientiam (Marcionis deus nihil tale, quia nec aemulatur contraria contrariis redarguere), ne glorietur omnis caro, ut, quemadmodum scriptum est, Qui gloriatur, in domino glorietur. In quo? utique in eo qui hoc praecepit: nisi creator praecepit ut in deo Marcionis glorietur. / [7] What follows will confirm this suggestion, when he asks, "Hath not God infatuated the wisdom of this world? " and when he adds the reason why: "For after that, in the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." But first a word about the expression "the world; " because in this passage particularly, the heretics expend a great deal of their subtlety in showing that by world is meant the lord of the world. We, however, understand the term to apply to any person that is in the world, by a simple idiom of human language, which often substitutes that which contains for that which is contained. "The circus shouted," "The forum spoke," and "The basilica murmured," are well-known expressions, meaning that the people in these places did so. Since then the man, not the god, of the world in his wisdom knew not God, whom indeed he ought to have known (both the Jew by his knowledge of the Scriptures, and all the human race by their knowledge of God's works), therefore that God, who was not acknowledged in His wisdom, resolved to smite men's knowledge with His foolishness, by saving all those who believe in the folly of the preached cross. [8] "Because the Jews require signs," who ought to have already made up their minds about God, "and the Greeks seek after wisdom," who rely upon their own wisdom, and not upon God's. If, however, it was a new god that was being preached, what sin had the Jews committed, in seeking after signs to believe; or the Greeks, when they hunted after a wisdom which they would prefer to accept? Thus the very retribution which overtook both Jews and Greeks proves that God is both a jealous God and a Judge, inasmuch as He infatuated the world's wisdom by an angry and a judicial retribution. Since, then, the causes are in the hands of Him who gave us the Scriptures which we use, it follows that the apostle, when treating of the Creator, (as Him whom both Jew and Gentile as yet have) not known, means undoubtedly to teach us, that the God who is to become known (in Christ) is the Creator. [9] The very "stumbling-block" which he declares Christ to be "to the Jews," points unmistakeably to the Creator's prophecy respecting Him, when by Isaiah He says: "Behold I lay in Sion a stone of stumbling and a rock of offence." This rock or stone is Christ. This stumbling-stone Marcion retains still. Now, what is that "foolishness of God which is wiser than men," but the cross and death of Christ? What is that "weakness of God which is stronger than men," but the nativity and incarnation of God? If, however, Christ was not born of the Virgin, was not constituted of human flesh, and thereby really suffered neither death nor the cross there was nothing in Him either of foolishness or weakness; nor is it any longer true, that "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; "nor, again, hath "God chosen the weak things of the world to confound the mighty; "nor "the base things" and the least things "in the world, and things which are despised, which are even as nothing" (that is, things which really are not), "to bring to nothing things which are" (that is, which really are). For nothing in the dispensation of God is found to be mean, and ignoble, and contemptible. Such only occurs in man's arrangement. The very Old Testament of the Creator itself, it is possible, no doubt, to charge with foolishness, and weakness, and dishonour and meanness, and contempt. [10] What is more foolish and more weak than God's requirement of bloody sacrifices and of savoury holocausts? What is weaker than the cleansing of vessels and of beds? What more dishonourable than the discoloration of the reddening skin? What so mean as the statute of retaliation? What so contemptible as the exception in meats and drinks? The whole of the Old Testament, the heretic, to the best of my belief, holds in derision. For God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound its wisdom. Marcion's god has no such discipline, because he does not take after (the Creator) in the process of confusing opposites by their opposites, so that "no flesh shall glory; but, as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." In what Lord? Surely in Him who gave this precept. Unless, forsooth, the Creator enjoined us to glory in the god of Marcion.
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7: <α> (<θ>). «Γέγραπται γάρ· ἀπολῶ τὴν σοφίαν τῶν σοφῶν καὶ τὴν σύνεσιν τῶν συνετῶν ἀθετήσω». <β> (<ι>). «Ἵνα, καθὼς γέγραπται, ὁ καυχώμενος ἐν κυρίῳ καυχάσθω». / 1(9). 'For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to naught the understanding of the prudent.' 2(10). 'That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <α> <καὶ> <θ> <σχόλιον>. «Γέγραπται γάρ· ἀπολῶ τὴν σοφίαν τῶν σοφῶν καὶ τὴν σύνεσιν τῶν συνετῶν ἀθετήσω». <α> <καὶ> <θ> <ἔλεγχος>. Εἰ ἀπὸ τῶν γεγραμμένων ἐν τοῖς προφήταις ἀναλέγεται ὁ ἀπόστολος μαρτυρίας εἰς παράστασιν ἀληθείας καὶ ἀγαθῆς διδασκαλίας, οὐκ ἀλλότριοι οἱ προφῆται τῆς ἀληθείας καὶ τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ θεοῦ καὶ τῆς ἀγαθῆς αὐτοῦ διδασκαλίας. <β> <καὶ> <ι> <σχόλιον>. «Ἵνα, καθὼς γέγραπται, ὁ καυχώμενος ἐν κυρίῳ καυχάσθω». <β> <καὶ> <ι> <ἔλεγχος>. Εἰ ἐπαινετὸς ὑπάρχει ὁ καυχώμενος ἐν κυρίῳ παρὰ τῷ προφήτῃ, κύριον δὲ οἶδεν τὸν θεὸν τοῦ νόμου τὸν παρὰ σοί, ὦ Μαρκίων, καὶ κριτὴν καὶ δημιουργὸν καὶ δίκαιον καλούμενον. οὐκ ἄλλος ἐστὶν οὗτος παρὰ τὸν τοῦ Χριστοῦ πατέρα, οὗ μαθητὴς ὑπάρχει Παῦλος· ἐπειδήπερ ἀπὸ τῆς τοῦ προφήτου διδασκαλίας ὁ διδάσκαλος κατασταθεὶς τῶν ἐθνῶν ὑπὸ Χριστοῦ Παῦλος ἀπὸ τῶν ὁμοίων καὶ τῶν αὐτῶν διδασκαλιῶν ἀνιμώμενος ὡς καθαρὸν ὕδωρ ἀρδεύει ἣν πεπίστευται ἐκκλησίαν. / Scholion 1 and 9. 'For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to naught the understanding of the prudent.' Elenchus 1 and 9. If the apostle culls evidence in proof of truth and good doctrine from the things that are written in the prophets, the prophets are not foreign to the truth, the good God, and his good doctrine. Scholion 2 and 10. 'That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.' (a) Elenchus 2 and 10. If a person who glories in the Lord is praiseworthy in the prophet's writings but knows the God of the Law as Lord—the God you call judge, Marcion, and demiurge, and just—then this God is none other than the Father of Christ, whose disciple Paul is. (b) For from the prophet's teaching, Paul, who was appointed by Christ as teacher of the gentiles, drew pure water, as it were, from teachings like these and from these very teachings, and watered the church which was entrusted to him.
Adamantius Dialogue 1.22.
Adamantius Dialogue 2.12.
Peter Kirby remarks concerning 1 Corinthians 1.29b-30: BeDuhn writes, “Tertullian, Marc. 5.5.10 (vv. 29a, 31); Adam 1.22; Epiphanius, Scholion 10 (v. 31; neither Harnack nor Schmid credit the evidence of Adamantius, and indeed the Apostolikon may not be used here). Tertullian omits v. 30, reading directly from v. 29 to v. 31, and both Harnack and Schmid follow this reading (Adamantius quotes the whole passage). In v. 29, Tertullian ends with ‘that no one may boast’ (=Harnack and Schmid), while Adamantius continues with ‘in his presence,’ a reading found in a number of Greek manuscripts, while most witnesses to the catholic text read ‘in God’s presence.’ The quotation in v. 31 is from Jer 9.23; note again the presence of an unmistakable quote from Jewish scripture.” (The First New Testament, p. 274)
Peter Kirby's criteria: (1) Passages attested as absent from the Marcionite version by the patristic writers. (2) Unattested passages that have miscellaneous manuscript support and/or patristic support for omission. (3) Unattested passages that Tertullian is likely to have cited were they present in the Marcionite version. (4) Unattested passages that correspond to a scholarly conjecture for interpolation on grounds other than the alleged absence in the Marcionite version.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 2.1-16.

1 Κἀγὼ ἐλθὼν πρὸς ὑμᾶς, ἀδελφοί, ἦλθον οὐ καθ’ ὑπεροχὴν λόγου ἢ σοφίας καταγγέλλων ὑμῖν τὸ μαρτύριον τοῦ Θεοῦ. 2 οὐ γὰρ ἔκρινά τι εἰδέναι ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ μὴ Ἰησοῦν Χριστὸν καὶ τοῦτον ἐσταυρωμένον. 3 κἀγὼ ἐν ἀσθενείᾳ καὶ ἐν φόβῳ καὶ ἐν τρόμῳ πολλῷ ἐγενόμην πρὸς ὑμᾶς, 4 καὶ ὁ λόγος μου καὶ τὸ κήρυγμά μου οὐκ ἐν πειθοῖς σοφίας λόγοις, ἀλλ’ ἐν ἀποδείξει Πνεύματος καὶ δυνάμεως, 5 ἵνα ἡ πίστις ὑμῶν μὴ ᾖ ἐν σοφίᾳ ἀνθρώπων ἀλλ’ ἐν δυνάμει Θεοῦ. 6 Σοφίαν δὲ λαλοῦμεν ἐν τοῖς τελείοις, σοφίαν δὲ οὐ τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου οὐδὲ τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου τῶν καταργουμένων· 7 ἀλλὰ λαλοῦμεν Θεοῦ σοφίαν ἐν μυστηρίῳ, τὴν ἀποκεκρυμμένην, ἣν προώρισεν ὁ Θεὸς πρὸ τῶν αἰώνων εἰς δόξαν ἡμῶν· 8 ἣν οὐδεὶς τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου ἔγνωκεν· εἰ γὰρ ἔγνωσαν, οὐκ ἂν τὸν Κύριον τῆς δόξης ἐσταύρωσαν· 9 ἀλλὰ καθὼς γέγραπται Ἃ ὀφθαλμὸς οὐκ εἶδεν καὶ οὖς οὐκ ἤκουσεν καὶ ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἀνέβη, ὅσα ἡτοίμασεν ὁ Θεὸς τοῖς ἀγαπῶσιν αὐτόν. 10 ἡμῖν γὰρ ἀπεκάλυψεν ὁ Θεὸς διὰ τοῦ Πνεύματος· τὸ γὰρ Πνεῦμα πάντα ἐραυνᾷ, καὶ τὰ βάθη τοῦ Θεοῦ. 11 τίς γὰρ οἶδεν ἀνθρώπων τὰ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου εἰ μὴ τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ ἀνθρώπου τὸ ἐν αὐτῷ; οὕτως καὶ τὰ τοῦ Θεοῦ οὐδεὶς ἔγνωκεν εἰ μὴ τὸ Πνεῦμα τοῦ Θεοῦ. 12 ἡμεῖς δὲ οὐ τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ κόσμου ἐλάβομεν ἀλλὰ τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἐκ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἵνα εἰδῶμεν τὰ ὑπὸ τοῦ Θεοῦ χαρισθέντα ἡμῖν· 13 ἃ καὶ λαλοῦμεν οὐκ ἐν διδακτοῖς ἀνθρωπίνης σοφίας λόγοις, ἀλλ’ ἐν διδακτοῖς Πνεύματος, πνευματικοῖς πνευματικὰ συνκρίνοντες. 14 ψυχικὸς δὲ ἄνθρωπος οὐ δέχεται τὰ τοῦ Πνεύματος τοῦ Θεοῦ· μωρία γὰρ αὐτῷ ἐστίν, καὶ οὐ δύναται γνῶναι, ὅτι πνευματικῶς ἀνακρίνεται. 15 ὁ δὲ πνευματικὸς ἀνακρίνει μὲν πάντα, αὐτὸς δὲ ὑπ’ οὐδενὸς ἀνακρίνεται. 16 τίς γὰρ ἔγνω νοῦν Κυρίου, ὃς συμβιβάσει αὐτόν; ἡμεῖς δὲ νοῦν Χριστοῦ ἔχομεν. 1 When I came to you, brothers, I didn’t come with excellence of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 My speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith wouldn’t stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 6a We speak wisdom, however, among those who are full grown, [criterion 1:] 6b yet a wisdom not of this world nor 6c of the rulers of this world who are coming to nothing. 7 But we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the wisdom that has been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this world has known. For had they known it, they wouldn’t have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But as it is written, “Things which an eye didn’t see, and an ear didn’t hear, which didn’t enter into the heart of man, these God has prepared for those who love him.” 10 But to us, God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For who among men knows the things of a man, except the spirit of the man, which is in him? Even so, no one knows the things of God, except God’s Spirit. 12 But we received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might know the things that were freely given to us by God. 13 We also speak these things, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches, but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual things. 14 Now the natural man doesn’t receive the things of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to him, and he can’t know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual discerns all things, and he himself is judged by no one. 16 “For who has known the mind of the Lord, and who has been its counselor, that he should instruct him?” But we have Christ’s mind.

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.6.1-5: [1] Igitur per haec omnia ostendit cuius dei sapientiam loquatur inter perfectos, eius scilicet qui sapientiam sapientium abstulerit et prudentiam prudentium irritam fecerit, qui infatuaverit sapientiam mundi, stulta eligens eius et disponens in salutem. Hanc dicit sapientiam in occulto fuisse quac fuerit in stultis et in pusillis et inhonestis, quae latuerit etiam sub figuris, allegoriis et aenigmatibus, revelanda postmodum in Christo, posito in lumen nationum a creatore promittente per Esaiae vocem patefacturum se thesauros invisibiles et occultos. [2] Nam ut absconderit aliquid is deus qui nihil egit omnino in quod aliquid abscondisse existimaretur, satis incredibile. Ipse si esset, latere non posset, nedum aliqua eius sacramenta. Creator autem tam ipse notus quam et sacramenta eius, palam scilicet decurrentia apud Israel, sed de significantiis obumbrata, in quibus sapientia dei delitescebat, inter perfectos narranda suo in tempore, proposita vero in proposito dei ante saecula. [3] Cuius et saecula, nisi creatoris? Si enim et saecula temporibus structa sunt, tempora autem diebus et mensibus et annis compinguntur, dies porro et menses et anni solibus et lunis et sideribus creatoris signantur in hoc ab eo positis (Et erunt, enim inquit, in signa mensium et annorum), apparet et saecula creatoris esse, et omne quod ante saecula propositum dicatur non alterius esse quam cuius et saecula. [4] Aut probet dei sui saecula Marcion; ostendat et mundum ipsum in quo saecula deputentur, vas quodammodo temporum, et signa aliqua vel ordinem eorum. Si nihil demonstrat, revertor ut et illud dicam, Cur autem ante saecula creatoris proposuit gloriam nostram? Posset videri eam ante saecula proposuisse quam introductione saeculi revelasset. At cum id facit paene iam totis saeculis creatoris prodactis, vane ante saecula proposuit, et non magis intra saecula, quod revelaturus erat paene post saecula. [5] Non enim eius est festinasse in proponendo cuius et retardasse in revelando. Creatori autem competit utrumque, et ante saecula proposuisse et in fine saeculorum revelasse, quia et quod proposuit et revelavit medio spatio saeculorum in figuris et aenigmatibus et allegoriis praeministravit. Sed quia subicit de gloria nostra, quod eam nemo ex principibus huius aevi scierit, ceterum si scissent nunquam dominum gloriae crucifixissent, argumentatur haereticus quod principes huius aevi dominum, alterius scilicet dei Christum, cruci confixerint, ut et hoc in ipsum recidat creatorem. / [1] By all these statements, therefore, does he show us what God he means, when he says, "We speak the wisdom of God among them that are perfect." It is that God who has confounded the wisdom of the wise, who has brought to nought the understanding of the prudent, who has reduced to folly the world's wisdom, by choosing its foolish things, and disposing them to the attainment of salvation. This wisdom, he says, once lay hidden in things that were foolish, weak, and lacking in honour; once also was latent under figures, allegories, and enigmatical types; but it was afterwards to be revealed in Christ, who was set "as a light to the Gentiles," by the Creator who promised through the mouth of Isaiah that He would discover "the hidden treasures, which eye had not seen." [2] Now, that that god should have ever hidden anything who had never made a cover wherein to practise concealment, is in itself a wholly incredible idea. If he existed, concealment of himself was out of the question----to say nothing of any of his religious ordinances. The Creator, on the contrary, was as well known in Himself as His ordinances were. These, we know, were publicly instituted in Israel; but they lay overshadowed with latent meanings, in which the wisdom of God was concealed to be brought to light by and by amongst "the perfect," when the time should come, but "pre-ordained in the counsels of God before the ages." [3] But whose ages, if not the Creator's? For because ages consist of times, and times are made up of days, and months, and years; since also days, and months, and years are measured by suns, and moons, and stars, which He ordained for this purpose (for "they shall be," says He, "for signs of the months and the years"), it clearly follows that the ages belong to the Creator, and that nothing of what was fore-ordained before the ages can be said to be the property of any other being than Him who claims the ages also as His own. [4] Else let Marcion show that the ages belong to his god. He must then also claim the world itself for him; for it is in it that the ages are reckoned, the vessel as it were of the times, as well as the signs thereof, or their order. But he has no such demonstration to show us. I go back therefore to the point, and ask him this question: Why did (his god) fore-ordain our glory before the ages of the Creator? I could understand his having predetermined it before the ages, if he had revealed it at the commencement of time. But when he does this almost at the very expiration of all the ages of the Creator, his predestination before the ages, and not rather within the ages, was in vain, because he did not mean to make any revelation of his purpose until the ages had almost run out their course. [5] For it is wholly inconsistent in him to be so forward in planning purposes, who is so backward in revealing them. In the Creator, however, the two courses were perfectly compatible----both the predestination before the ages and the revelation at the end thereof, because that which He both fore-ordained and revealed He also in the intermediate space of time announced by the pre-ministration of figures, and symbols, and allegories. But because (the apostle) subjoins, on the subject of our glory, that "none of the princes of this world knew it for had they known it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory," the heretic argues that the princes of this world crucified the Lord (that is, the Christ of the rival god) in order that this blow might even recoil on the Creator Himself.
Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.6.9: [9] Ita et cum destruuntur argumentationes diversae partis, nostrae expositiones aedificantur. Sed vis adhuc gloriam nostram dei tui esse et apud eum in occulto fuisse. Et quare adhuc eodem et deus instrumento et apostolus nititur? Quid illi cum sententiis prophetarum ubique? Quis enim cognovit sensum domini, et quis illi consiliarius fuit? Esaias est. Quid illi etiam cum exemplis dei nostri? / [9] Thus the arguments of the other side are pulled down, and our own proofs are thereby built up. But you still maintain that our glory comes from your god, with whom it also lay in secret. Then why does your god employ the self-same Scripture which the apostle also relies on? What has your god to do at all with the sayings of the prophets? "Who hath discovered the mind of the Lord, or who hath been His counsellor? " So says Isaiah. What has he also to do with illustrations from our God?
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7: <γ> (<ια>). «Τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου τῶν καταργουμένων». / 3(11). 'Of the first beings of this world that come to naught.'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <γ> <καὶ> <ια> <σχόλιον>. «Τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου τῶν καταργουμένων». <γ> <καὶ> <ια> <ἔλεγχος>. Εἰ ἄρχοντες τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου πολλοί, καταργοῦνται δὲ οἱ τοιοῦτοι, ἀναγκασθήσῃ, ὦ Μαρκίων, οὐκέτι τριῶν ἀρχῶν ζητεῖν τὰς ῥίζας, ἀλλὰ ἐρευνῆσαι σαυτῷ ἄλλον μῦθον πολλῶν ἀρχῶν καὶ πολλῶν ῥιζῶν καὶ πολλῆς τραγῳδίας. καὶ ὅταν συκοφαντῶν πλάσῃς (οὐ γὰρ εὕροις), συναντήσει σοι τό «καταργουμένων»· ἐκ δὲ τοῦ λόγου τοῦ λέγοντος «καταργουμένων» ἀναιρεθήσεται ἡ παρὰ σοῦ φανταζομένη ἄναρχος τῶν ἀρχῶν ῥίζα. πᾶν γὰρ τὸ λῆγον οὐκ ἀίδιον ὑπάρχει, ἀλλὰ εἰ ἀρχὴν ἔσχε τοῦ εἶναι, καὶ τέλος ὑφέξει. ἀδύνατον γὰρ τὸ ἀρχὴν ἐσχηκὸς διαιωνίζειν ἀιδίως, εἰ μή τι ἂν θέλοι τὸ ὄν, αἴτιον γενόμενον τοῦ μὴ ποτὲ ὄντος, ἀρξαμένου δὲ τοῦ εἶναι. τὸ δὲ ὂν ἐστὶν πατὴρ καὶ υἱὸς καὶ ἅγιον πνεῦμα· τὸ δὲ μὴ ὂν ἐστὶ πάντα τὰ κεκτισμένα, ἀρχὴν ἐσχηκότα τοῦ εἶναι, ἐν οἷς καὶ τὸ λεγόμενον κακὸν καὶ ὂν κακόν, ἀπὸ ἀνθρώπων ἀρξάμενον τῶν γενομένων οὐκ ὄντων ποτέ· ἀρχὴν δὲ τοῦ κακοῦ ἐσχηκότος, ἐξότε καὶ ὁ ἄνθρωπος ὁ οὐκ ὤν ποτε * οὐκέτι ἔσται τὸ κακόν. ἀναμφιβόλως γὰρ ἀναιρεθήσεται, διὰ τὸ μὴ συνευδοκεῖν τὸν ὄντα τῷ ἀρχὴν ἐσχηκότι καὶ ἐν φαύλοις ἑαυτὸν καταστήσαντι· παυθήσεται γὰρ μετὰ τὴν ἀνάστασιν, οὐ μόνον ἀλλὰ καὶ ἀπὸ τῆς τοῦ νόμου κηρύξεως καὶ πρὸ τοῦ δὲ νόμου ἀπὸ πολλῶν τῶν κατὰ τὸν φυσικὸν νόμον πεπολιτευμένων καὶ ἔτι γε περισσοτέρως ἀπὸ τῆς τοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐνσάρκου παρουσίας, τελειότατα δὲ ἀπὸ τῆς τῶν νεκρῶν ἀναστάσεως, ἐπειδή «σπείρονται ἐν φθορᾷ, ἐγείρονται ἐν ἀφθαρσίᾳ», μηκέτι τὸ κακὸν ἐργαζόμενοι, μηκέτι ἀποθνῄσκοντες. καὶ ὅτι δὲ παυθήσεται, μαρτυρήσει ὁ αὐτὸς λόγος τοῦ ἀποστόλου φάσκων «τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου τῶν καταργουμένων». καὶ ἀνῄρηται πανταχόθεν ἡ κατὰ σέ, ὦ Μαρκίων, ὑπόθεσις, φαντασιώδης τις οὖσα καὶ ψευδὴς καὶ ἄστατος καὶ ἄλογος. / Scholion 3 and 11. 'of the first beings of this world, that come to naught.' (a) Elenchus 3 and 11. If there are many 'first beings' (ἄρχοντες) of this world, Marcion, and if such beings are going to come to naught, you will be forced to give up your search for the roots of three first principles (ἀρχαί) but to hunt for another myth of many principles, many roots and much melodrama. (b) And when you make one up by quibbling—for you can't find one (ready-made)—the words, 'that come to naught,' will confront you. And your imaginary root of the first principles, which has no first principle of its own, will be demolished by the words of the author who said, 'that come to naught.' For whatever comes to an end is not eternal; if it had a beginning, it will have to have an end as well. (c) It is impossible for anything that has a beginning to be everlasting unless the Existent should will it—the Cause of that which once did not exist, but had a beginning of existence. Now 'the Existent' is Father, Son and Holy Spirit; the non-existent are all created things, which have had a beginning of existence. Among these is that which is called, and is, evil, which began with men, who came into existence but at one time did not exist. But since evil began at the same time that man began, who once did not exist, there will also be a time when evil will no longer exist. (d) It will undoubtedly be eliminated, since the Existent does not consent to a thing that had a beginning and then placed itself among evil things. For it will be brought to an end after the resurrection. And not only then. It has been brought to an end since the proclamation of the Law—and even before the Law by many who have lived by the law of nature, and still more, surely, since Christ’s incarnation. (e) But it will be ended entirely after the resurrection of the dead, since 'They are sown in corruption, they are raised in incorruption,'183 doing evil no longer, dying no longer. (f) And that it will be ended the same saying of the apostle, 'The first beings of this world that come to naught,' will testify. And the case you have made has been demolished in every way, Marcion, since it is imaginary, false, shaky and irrational.
Peter Kirby remarks concerning 1 Corinthians 2.6b: BeDuhn writes, “Tertullian, Marc. 5.6.1-4 (vv. 6a, 7); Epiphanius, Scholion 11 (v. 6c). Our sources are complementary, with Epiphanius supplying one of two clauses that Tertullian skips over. The other (‘but not the wisdom of this aeon, nor’) is unattested. Without it, the sense of the passage would be: ‘We speak wisdom among those who are perfect about the rulers of this aeon who are being nullified.'” (The First New Testament, p. 274)
Peter Kirby's criteria: (1) Passages attested as absent from the Marcionite version by the patristic writers. (2) Unattested passages that have miscellaneous manuscript support and/or patristic support for omission. (3) Unattested passages that Tertullian is likely to have cited were they present in the Marcionite version. (4) Unattested passages that correspond to a scholarly conjecture for interpolation on grounds other than the alleged absence in the Marcionite version.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 3.1-23.

1 Κἀγώ, ἀδελφοί, οὐκ ἠδυνήθην λαλῆσαι ὑμῖν ὡς πνευματικοῖς ἀλλ’ ὡς σαρκίνοις, ὡς νηπίοις ἐν Χριστῷ. 2 γάλα ὑμᾶς ἐπότισα, οὐ βρῶμα· οὔπω γὰρ ἐδύνασθε. Ἀλλ’ οὐδὲ ἔτι νῦν δύνασθε, 3 ἔτι γὰρ σαρκικοί ἐστε. ὅπου γὰρ ἐν ὑμῖν ζῆλος καὶ ἔρις, οὐχὶ σαρκικοί ἐστε καὶ κατὰ ἄνθρωπον περιπατεῖτε; 4 ὅταν γὰρ λέγῃ τις Ἐγὼ μέν εἰμι Παύλου, ἕτερος δέ Ἐγὼ Ἀπολλῶ, οὐκ ἄνθρωποί ἐστε; 5 τί οὖν ἐστιν Ἀπολλῶς; τί δέ ἐστιν Παῦλος; διάκονοι δι’ ὧν ἐπιστεύσατε, καὶ ἑκάστῳ ὡς ὁ Κύριος ἔδωκεν. 6 ἐγὼ ἐφύτευσα, Ἀπολλῶς ἐπότισεν, ἀλλὰ ὁ Θεὸς ηὔξανεν· 7 ὥστε οὔτε ὁ φυτεύων ἐστίν τι οὔτε ὁ ποτίζων, ἀλλ’ ὁ αὐξάνων Θεός. 8 ὁ φυτεύων δὲ καὶ ὁ ποτίζων ἕν εἰσιν, ἕκαστος δὲ τὸν ἴδιον μισθὸν λήμψεται κατὰ τὸν ἴδιον κόπον. 9 Θεοῦ γάρ ἐσμεν συνεργοί· Θεοῦ γεώργιον, Θεοῦ οἰκοδομή ἐστε. 10 Κατὰ τὴν χάριν τοῦ Θεοῦ τὴν δοθεῖσάν μοι ὡς σοφὸς ἀρχιτέκτων θεμέλιον ἔθηκα, ἄλλος δὲ ἐποικοδομεῖ. ἕκαστος δὲ βλεπέτω πῶς ἐποικοδομεῖ. 11 θεμέλιον γὰρ ἄλλον οὐδεὶς δύναται θεῖναι παρὰ τὸν κείμενον, ὅς ἐστιν Ἰησοῦς Χριστός. 12 εἰ δέ τις ἐποικοδομεῖ ἐπὶ τὸν θεμέλιον χρυσίον, ἀργύριον, λίθους τιμίους, ξύλα, χόρτον, καλάμην, 13 ἑκάστου τὸ ἔργον φανερὸν γενήσεται· ἡ γὰρ ἡμέρα δηλώσει, ὅτι ἐν πυρὶ ἀποκαλύπτεται, καὶ ἑκάστου τὸ ἔργον ὁποῖόν ἐστιν τὸ πῦρ αὐτὸ δοκιμάσει. 14 εἴ τινος τὸ ἔργον μενεῖ ὃ ἐποικοδόμησεν, μισθὸν λήμψεται· 15 εἴ τινος τὸ ἔργον κατακαήσεται, ζημιωθήσεται, αὐτὸς δὲ σωθήσεται, οὕτως δὲ ὡς διὰ πυρός. 16 Οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι ναὸς Θεοῦ ἐστε καὶ τὸ Πνεῦμα τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν ὑμῖν οἰκεῖ; 17 εἴ τις τὸν ναὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ φθείρει, φθερεῖ τοῦτον ὁ Θεός· ὁ γὰρ ναὸς τοῦ Θεοῦ ἅγιός ἐστιν, οἵτινές ἐστε ὑμεῖς. 18 Μηδεὶς ἑαυτὸν ἐξαπατάτω· εἴ τις δοκεῖ σοφὸς εἶναι ἐν ὑμῖν ἐν τῷ αἰῶνι τούτῳ, μωρὸς γενέσθω, ἵνα γένηται σοφός, 19 ἡ γὰρ σοφία τοῦ κόσμου τούτου μωρία παρὰ τῷ Θεῷ ἐστιν. γέγραπται γάρ Ὁ δρασσόμενος τοὺς σοφοὺς ἐν τῇ πανουργίᾳ αὐτῶν· 20 καὶ πάλιν Κύριος γινώσκει τοὺς διαλογισμοὺς τῶν σοφῶν, ὅτι εἰσὶν μάταιοι. 21 ὥστε μηδεὶς καυχάσθω ἐν ἀνθρώποις· πάντα γὰρ ὑμῶν ἐστιν, 22 εἴτε Παῦλος εἴτε Ἀπολλῶς εἴτε Κηφᾶς, εἴτε κόσμος εἴτε ζωὴ εἴτε θάνατος, εἴτε ἐνεστῶτα εἴτε μέλλοντα, πάντα ὑμῶν, 23 ὑμεῖς δὲ Χριστοῦ, Χριστὸς δὲ Θεοῦ. 1 Brothers, I couldn’t speak to you as to spiritual, but as to fleshly, as to babies in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk, not with meat; for you weren’t yet ready. Indeed, you aren’t ready even now, 3 for you are still fleshly. For insofar as there is jealousy, strife, and factions among you, aren’t you fleshly, and don’t you walk in the ways of men? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you fleshly? 5 Who then is Apollos, and who is Paul, but servants through whom you believed, and each as the Lord gave to him? 6 I planted. Apollos watered. But God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are the same, but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9 For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s farming, God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another builds on it. But let each man be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no one can lay any other foundation than that which has been laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 But if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay, or stubble, 13 each man’s work will be revealed. For the Day will declare it, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire itself will test what sort of work each man’s work is. 14 If any man’s work remains which he built on it, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved, but as through fire. 16 Don’t you know that you are a temple of God, and that God’s Spirit lives in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him [Marcion: he will be destroyed]; for God’s temple is holy, which you are. 18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone thinks that he is wise among you in this world, let him become a fool, that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He has taken the wise in their craftiness.” 20 And again, “The Lord knows the reasoning of the wise, that it is worthless.” 21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, 22 whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come. All are yours, 23 and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.6.10-13: [10] Nam quod architectum se prudentem affirmat, hoc invenimus significari depalatorem disciplinae divinae a creatore per Esaiam: Auferam, enim inquit, a Iudaea inter cetera et sapientem architectum. Et numquid ipse tunc Paulus destinabatur, de ludaea, id est de Iudaismo, auferri habens in aedificationem Christianismi, positurus unicum fundamentum, quod est Christus? quia et de hoc per eundem prophetam creator, Ecce ego, inquit, inicio in fundamenta Sionis lapidem pretiosum, honorabilem, et qui in eum crediderit non confundetur. [11] Nisi si structorem se terreni operis deus profitebatur, ut non de Christo suo significaret qui futurus esset fundamentum credentium in eum; super quod prout quisque superstruxerit, dignam scilicet vel indignam doctrinam, si opus eius per ignem probabitur, si merces illi per ignem rependetur, creatoris est: quia per ignem iudicatur vestra superaedificatio, utique sui fundamenti, id est sui Christi. Nescitis quod templum dei sitis, et in vobis inhabitet spiritus dei? Si homo et res et opus et imago et similitudo et caro per terram et anima per afflatum creatoris est, totus ergo in alieno habitat deus Marcionis si non creatoris sumus templum. [12] Quodsi templum dei quis vitiaverit, vitiabitur, utique a deo templi. Ultorem intentans, creatorem intentabis. Stulti estote, ut sitis sapientes. Quare? Sapientia enim huius mundi stultitia est penes deum. Penes quem deum? Si nihil nobis et ad hunc sensum pristina praeiudicaverunt, bene quod et hic adstruit: Scriptum est enim, Deprehendens sapientes in nequitia illorum; et rursus, Dominus scit cogitationes sapientium, quod sint supervacuae. [13] In totum enim praescriptum a nobis erit, nulla illum sententia uti potuisse eius dei quem destruere deberet, si non illi doceret. Ergo, inquit, nemo glorietur in homine. Et hoc secundum creatoris disciplinam: Miserum hominem, qui spem habet in hominem! et, Bonum est fidere in deo quam fidere in hominibus; ita et gloriari. / [10] For when (the apostle) calls himself "a wise master-builder," we find that the Creator by Isaiah designates the teacher who sketches out the divine discipline by the same title, "I will take away from Judah the cunning artificer," etc. And was it not Paul himself who was there foretold, destined "to be taken away from Judah"----that is, from Judaism----for the erection of Christianity, in order "to lay that only foundation, which is Christ? " Of this work the Creator also by the same prophet says, "Behold, I lay in Sion for a foundation a precious stone and honourable; and he that resteth thereon shall not be confounded." [11] Unless it be, that God professed Himself to be the builder up of an earthly work, that so He might not give any sign of His Christ, as destined to be the foundation of such as believe in Him, upon which every man should build at will the superstructure of either sound or worthless doctrine; forasmuch as it is the Creator's function, when a man's work shall be tried by fire, (or) when a reward shall be recompensed to him by fire; because it is by fire that the test is applied to the building which you erect upon the foundation which is laid by Him, that is, the foundation of His Christ. "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? " Now, since man is the property, and the work, and the image and likeness of the Creator, having his flesh, formed by Him of the ground, and his soul of His afflatus, it follows that Marcion's god wholly dwells in a temple which belongs to another, if so be we are not the Creator's temple. [12] But "if any man defile the temple of God, he shall be himself destroyed" ----of course, by the God of the temple. If you threaten an avenger, you threaten us with the Creator. "Ye must become fools, that ye may be wise." Wherefore? "Because the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." With what God? Even if the ancient Scriptures have contributed nothing in support of our view thus far, an excellent testimony turns up in what (the apostle) here adjoins: "For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness; and again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain." [13] For in general we may conclude for certain that he could not possibly have cited the authority of that God whom he was bound to destroy, since he would not teach for Him. "Therefore," says he, "let no man glory in man; " an injunction which is in accordance with the teaching of the Creator, "wretched is the man that trusteth in man; " again, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to confide in man; " and the same thing is said about glorying (in princes).
From Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.9: Ex quo omnia nobis, nisi cuius omnia? Quaenam ista? Habes in praeteritis, Omnia vestra sunt, sive Paulus, sive Apollo, sive Cephas, sive mundus, sive vita, sive mors, sive praesentia, sive futura. / Now, from whom do all things come to us, but from Him to whom all things belong? And pray, what things are these? You have them in a preceding part of the epistle: "All things are yours; whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come."
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7: <δ> (<ιβ>). «Γέγραπται γάρ· ὁ δρασσόμενος τοὺς σοφοὺς ἐν τῇ πανουργίᾳ αὐτῶν. καὶ πάλιν· κύριος γινώσκει τοὺς διαλογισμοὺς τῶν ἀνθρώπων, ὅτι εἰσὶ μάταιοι». / 4(12). 'For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.' And again, 'The Lord knoweth the thoughts of men, that they are vain.'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <δ> <καὶ> <ιβ> <σχόλιον>. «Γέγραπται γάρ· ὁ δρασσόμενος τοὺς σοφοὺς ἐν τῇ πανουργίᾳ αὐτῶν. καὶ πάλιν· κύριος γινώσκει τοὺς διαλογισμοὺς τῶν ἀνθρώπων, ὅτι εἰσὶ μάταιοι». <δ> <καὶ> <ιβ> <ἔλεγχος>. Τό «γέγραπται» εἰς χρῆσιν προφερόμενον καὶ τό «γινώσκει κύριος» ὁμολογούμενον, οὐκ ἀλλότριον ὑπάρχει τῷ ἀναλεξαμένῳ τὸ ῥητὸν τοῦ λόγου, φημὶ δὲ τῷ ἁγίῳ ἀποστόλῳ, παρ' ᾧ ἡ χρῆσις ἐμφέρεται. ἐξ ἧς χρήσεως ὁ χαρακτὴρ φανεῖται οὐκ ἀλλότριος τοῦ κηρύγματος τοῦ ἀποστόλου ἀπὸ τῆς παλαιᾶς διαθήκης, ὅθεν αὐτῷ ἡ μαρτυρία συνέστη. / Scholion 4 and 12. 'For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.' And again, 'The Lord knoweth the thoughts of men, that they are vain.' Elenchus 4 and 12. 'It is written,' which introduces a citation, and the corresponding 'The Lord knoweth,' are not strange to the person who selected the words of the saying—I mean the holy apostle, in whose writings the citation is found. And from this citation it will be evident that the character of the apostle’s preaching is not different from that of the Old Testament from which he got his text.
Adamantius Dialogue 2.19.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 4.1-21.

1 Οὕτως ἡμᾶς λογιζέσθω ἄνθρωπος ὡς ὑπηρέτας Χριστοῦ καὶ οἰκονόμους μυστηρίων Θεοῦ. 2 ὧδε λοιπὸν ζητεῖται ἐν τοῖς οἰκονόμοις ἵνα πιστός τις εὑρεθῇ. 3 ἐμοὶ δὲ εἰς ἐλάχιστόν ἐστιν ἵνα ὑφ’ ὑμῶν ἀνακριθῶ ἢ ὑπὸ ἀνθρωπίνης ἡμέρας· ἀλλ’ οὐδὲ ἐμαυτὸν ἀνακρίνω· 4 οὐδὲν γὰρ ἐμαυτῷ σύνοιδα, ἀλλ’ οὐκ ἐν τούτῳ δεδικαίωμαι· ὁ δὲ ἀνακρίνων με Κύριός ἐστιν. 5 ὥστε μὴ πρὸ καιροῦ τι κρίνετε, ἕως ἂν ἔλθῃ ὁ Κύριος, ὃς καὶ φωτίσει τὰ κρυπτὰ τοῦ σκότους καὶ φανερώσει τὰς βουλὰς τῶν καρδιῶν· καὶ τότε ὁ ἔπαινος γενήσεται ἑκάστῳ ἀπὸ τοῦ Θεοῦ. 6 Ταῦτα δέ, ἀδελφοί, μετεσχημάτισα εἰς ἐμαυτὸν καὶ Ἀπολλῶν δι’ ὑμᾶς, ἵνα ἐν ἡμῖν μάθητε τό Μὴ ὑπὲρ ἃ γέγραπται, ἵνα μὴ εἷς ὑπὲρ τοῦ ἑνὸς φυσιοῦσθε κατὰ τοῦ ἑτέρου. 7 τίς γάρ σε διακρίνει; τί δὲ ἔχεις ὃ οὐκ ἔλαβες; εἰ δὲ καὶ ἔλαβες, τί καυχᾶσαι ὡς μὴ λαβών; 8 ἤδη κεκορεσμένοι ἐστέ· ἤδη ἐπλουτήσατε· χωρὶς ἡμῶν ἐβασιλεύσατε· καὶ ὄφελόν γε ἐβασιλεύσατε, ἵνα καὶ ἡμεῖς ὑμῖν συνβασιλεύσωμεν. 9 δοκῶ γάρ, ὁ Θεὸς ἡμᾶς τοὺς ἀποστόλους ἐσχάτους ἀπέδειξεν ὡς ἐπιθανατίους, ὅτι θέατρον ἐγενήθημεν τῷ κόσμῳ καὶ ἀγγέλοις καὶ ἀνθρώποις. 10 ἡμεῖς μωροὶ διὰ Χριστόν, ὑμεῖς δὲ φρόνιμοι ἐν Χριστῷ· ἡμεῖς ἀσθενεῖς, ὑμεῖς δὲ ἰσχυροί· ὑμεῖς ἔνδοξοι, ἡμεῖς δὲ ἄτιμοι. 11 ἄχρι τῆς ἄρτι ὥρας καὶ πεινῶμεν καὶ διψῶμεν καὶ γυμνιτεύομεν καὶ κολαφιζόμεθα καὶ ἀστατοῦμεν 12 καὶ κοπιῶμεν ἐργαζόμενοι ταῖς ἰδίαις χερσίν· λοιδορούμενοι εὐλογοῦμεν, διωκόμενοι ἀνεχόμεθα, 13 δυσφημούμενοι παρακαλοῦμεν· ὡς περικαθάρματα τοῦ κόσμου ἐγενήθημεν, πάντων περίψημα ἕως ἄρτι. 14 Οὐκ ἐντρέπων ὑμᾶς γράφω ταῦτα, ἀλλ’ ὡς τέκνα μου ἀγαπητὰ νουθετῶν. 15 ἐὰν γὰρ μυρίους παιδαγωγοὺς ἔχητε ἐν Χριστῷ, ἀλλ’ οὐ πολλοὺς πατέρας· ἐν γὰρ Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ διὰ τοῦ εὐαγγελίου ἐγὼ ὑμᾶς ἐγέννησα. 16 παρακαλῶ οὖν ὑμᾶς, μιμηταί μου γίνεσθε. 17 Διὰ τοῦτο αὐτὸ ἔπεμψα ὑμῖν Τιμόθεον, ὅς ἐστίν μου τέκνον ἀγαπητὸν καὶ πιστὸν ἐν Κυρίῳ, ὃς ὑμᾶς ἀναμνήσει τὰς ὁδούς μου τὰς ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ, καθὼς πανταχοῦ ἐν πάσῃ ἐκκλησίᾳ διδάσκω. 18 ὡς μὴ ἐρχομένου δέ μου πρὸς ὑμᾶς ἐφυσιώθησάν τινες· 19 ἐλεύσομαι δὲ ταχέως πρὸς ὑμᾶς, ἐὰν ὁ Κύριος θελήσῃ, καὶ γνώσομαι οὐ τὸν λόγον τῶν πεφυσιωμένων ἀλλὰ τὴν δύναμιν· 20 οὐ γὰρ ἐν λόγῳ ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἀλλ’ ἐν δυνάμει. 21 τί θέλετε; ἐν ῥάβδῳ ἔλθω πρὸς ὑμᾶς, ἢ ἐν ἀγάπῃ πνεύματί τε πραΰτητος; 1 So let a man think of us as Christ’s servants, and stewards of God’s mysteries. 2 Here, moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you, or by man’s judgment. Yes, I don’t judge my own self. 4 For I know nothing against myself. Yet I am not justified by this, but he who judges me is the Lord. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each man will get his praise from God. 6 Now these things, brothers, I have in a figure transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that in us you might learn not to think beyond the things which are written, that none of you be puffed up against one another. 7 For who makes you different? And what do you have that you didn’t receive? But if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it? 8 You are already filled. You have already become rich. You have come to reign without us. Yes, and I wish that you did reign, that we also might reign with you. 9 For, I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last of all, like men sentenced to death. For we are made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and men. 10 We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You have honor, but we have dishonor. 11 Even to this present hour we hunger, thirst, are naked, are beaten, and have no certain dwelling place. 12 We toil, working with our own hands. When people curse us, we bless. Being persecuted, we endure. 13 Being defamed, we entreat. We are made as the filth of the world, the dirt wiped off by all, even until now. 14 I don’t write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15 For though you have ten thousand tutors in Christ, you don’t have many fathers. For in Christ Jesus, I became your father through the Good News. 16 I beg you therefore, be imitators of me. 17 Because of this I have sent Timothy to you, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways which are in Christ, even as I teach everywhere in every assembly. 18 Now some are puffed up, as though I were not coming to you. 19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord is willing. And I will know, not the word of those who are puffed up, but the power. 20 For God’s Kingdom is not in word, but in power. 21 What do you want? Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and a spirit of gentleness?

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.1-2: [1] Et occulta tenebrarum ipse illuminabit, utique per Christum, qui Christum illuminationem repromisit, se quoque lucernam pronuntiavit, scrutantem corda et renes. Ab illo erit et laus unicuique a quo et contrarium laudis, ut a iudice. Certe, inquis, vel hic mundum deum mundi interpretatur, dicendo, Spectaculum facti sumus mundo et angelis et horninibus: quia si mundum homines mundi significasset, non etiam homines postmodum nominasset. Immo ne ita argumentareris, providentia spiritus sancti demonstravit quomodo dixisset, Spectaculum facti sumus mundo, dum angelis qui mundo ministrant, et hominibus quibus ministrant. [2] Verebatur nimirum tantae constantiae vir, ne dicam spiritus sanctus, praesertim ad filios scribens, quos in evangelio generaverat, libere deum mundi nominare, adversus quem nisi exserte non posset videri praedicare. Non defendo secundum legem creatoris displicuisse illum qui mulierem patris sui habuit. Communis et publicae religionis secutus sit disciplinam. Sed cum eum damnat dedendum satanae, damnatoris dei praeco est. Viderit et quomodo dixerit, In interitum carnis ut spiritus salvus sit in die domini, dum et de carnis interitu et de salute spiritus iudicarit, et auferri iubens malum de medio creatoris frequentissimam sententiam commemoraverit. / [1] "And the hidden things of darkness He will Himself bring to light," even by Christ; for He has promised Christ to be a Light, and Himself He has declared to be a lamp, "searching the hearts and reins." From Him also shall "praise be had by every man," from whom proceeds, as from a judge, the opposite also of praise. But here, at least, you say he interprets the world to be the God thereof, when he says: "We are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men." For if by world he had meant the people thereof, he would not have afterwards specially mentioned "men." To prevent, however, your using such an argument as this, the Holy Ghost has providentially explained the meaning of the passage thus: "We are made a spectacle to the world," i.e. "both to angels," who minister therein, "and to men," who are the objects of their ministration. [2] Of course, a man of the noble courage of our apostle (to say nothing of the Holy Ghost) was afraid, when writing to the children whom he had begotten in the gospel, to speak freely of the God of the world; for against Him he could not possibly seem to have a word to say, except only in a straightforward manner! I quite admit, that, according to the Creator's law, the man was an offender" who had his father's wife." He followed, no doubt, the principles of natural and public law. When, however, he condemns the man "to be delivered unto Satan," he becomes the herald of an avenging God. It does not matter that he also said, "For the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord," since both in the destruction of the flesh and in the saving of the spirit there is, on His part, judicial process; and when he bade "the wicked person be put away from the midst of them," he only mentioned what is a very frequently recurring sentence of the Creator.
Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.8.6: [6] In evangelio, enim inquit, ego vos generavi, et, Filii mei quos parturio rursus. Iam nunc et illa promissio spiritus absolute facta per loelem: In novissimis diebus effundam de meo spiritu in omnem carnem, et prophetabunt filii filiaeque eorum, et super servos et ancillas meas de meo spiritu effundam. / [6] "For," says he, "I have begotten you through the gospel; " and "Ye are my children, of whom I travail again in birth." Now was absolutely fulfilled that promise of the Spirit which was given by the word of Joel: "In the last days will I pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh, and their sons and their daughters shall prophesy; and upon my servants and upon my handmaids will I pour out of my Spirit."

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 5.1-13.

1 Ὅλως ἀκούεται ἐν ὑμῖν πορνεία, καὶ τοιαύτη πορνεία ἥτις οὐδὲ ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν, ὥστε γυναῖκά τινα τοῦ πατρὸς ἔχειν. 2 καὶ ὑμεῖς πεφυσιωμένοι ἐστέ, καὶ οὐχὶ μᾶλλον ἐπενθήσατε, ἵνα ἀρθῇ ἐκ μέσου ὑμῶν ὁ τὸ ἔργον τοῦτο πράξας; 3 ἐγὼ μὲν γάρ, ἀπὼν τῷ σώματι παρὼν δὲ τῷ πνεύματι, ἤδη κέκρικα ὡς παρὼν τὸν οὕτως τοῦτο κατεργασάμενον 4 ἐν τῷ ὀνόματι τοῦ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ συναχθέντων ὑμῶν καὶ τοῦ ἐμοῦ πνεύματος σὺν τῇ δυνάμει τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ, 5 παραδοῦναι τὸν τοιοῦτον τῷ Σατανᾷ εἰς ὄλεθρον τῆς σαρκός, ἵνα τὸ πνεῦμα σωθῇ ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τοῦ Κυρίου. 6 Οὐ καλὸν τὸ καύχημα ὑμῶν. οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι μικρὰ ζύμη ὅλον τὸ φύραμα ζυμοῖ; 7 ἐκκαθάρατε τὴν παλαιὰν ζύμην, ἵνα ἦτε νέον φύραμα, καθώς ἐστε ἄζυμοι. καὶ γὰρ τὸ πάσχα ἡμῶν ἐτύθη Χριστός. 8 ὥστε ἑορτάζωμεν, μὴ ἐν ζύμῃ παλαιᾷ μηδὲ ἐν ζύμῃ κακίας καὶ πονηρίας, ἀλλ’ ἐν ἀζύμοις εἰλικρινίας καὶ ἀληθείας. 9 Ἔγραψα ὑμῖν ἐν τῇ ἐπιστολῇ μὴ συναναμίγνυσθαι πόρνοις, 10 οὐ πάντως τοῖς πόρνοις τοῦ κόσμου τούτου ἢ τοῖς πλεονέκταις καὶ ἅρπαξιν ἢ εἰδωλολάτραις, ἐπεὶ ὠφείλετε ἄρα ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου ἐξελθεῖν. 11 νῦν δὲ ἔγραψα ὑμῖν μὴ συναναμίγνυσθαι ἐάν τις ἀδελφὸς ὀνομαζόμενος ᾖ πόρνος ἢ πλεονέκτης ἢ εἰδωλολάτρης ἢ λοίδορος ἢ μέθυσος ἢ ἅρπαξ, τῷ τοιούτῳ μηδὲ συνεσθίειν. 12 τί γάρ μοι τοὺς ἔξω κρίνειν; οὐχὶ τοὺς ἔσω ὑμεῖς κρίνετε; 13 τοὺς δὲ ἔξω ὁ Θεὸς κρινεῖ. ἐξάρατε τὸν πονηρὸν ἐξ ὑμῶν αὐτῶν. 1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles, that one has his father’s wife. 2 You are arrogant, and didn’t mourn instead, that he who had done this deed might be removed from among you. 3 For I most certainly, as being thus absent in body but present in spirit, have already, as though I were present, judged him who has done this thing. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, you being gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 are to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 6 Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole lump? 7 Purge out the old yeast, that you may be a new lump, even as you are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, has been sacrificed in our place. 8 Therefore let’s keep the feast, not with old yeast, neither with the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 9 I wrote to you in my letter to have no company with sexual sinners; 10 yet not at all meaning with the sexual sinners of this world, or with the covetous and extortionists, or with idolaters; for then you would have to leave the world. 11 But as it is, I wrote to you not to associate with anyone who is called a brother who is a sexual sinner, or covetous, or an idolater, or a slanderer, or a drunkard, or an extortionist. Don’t even eat with such a person. 12 For what do I have to do with also judging those who are outside? Don’t you judge those who are within? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. “Put away the wicked man from among yourselves.”

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.2-3: [2] Verebatur nimirum tantae constantiae vir, ne dicam spiritus sanctus, praesertim ad filios scribens, quos in evangelio generaverat, libere deum mundi nominare, adversus quem nisi exserte non posset videri praedicare. Non defendo secundum legem creatoris displicuisse illum qui mulierem patris sui habuit. Communis et publicae religionis secutus sit disciplinam. Sed cum eum damnat dedendum satanae, damnatoris dei praeco est. Viderit et quomodo dixerit, In interitum carnis ut spiritus salvus sit in die domini, dum et de carnis interitu et de salute spiritus iudicarit, et auferri iubens malum de medio creatoris frequentissimam sententiam commemoraverit: [3] Expurgate vetus fermentum, ut sitis nova conspersio, sicut estis azymi. Ergo azymi figurae erant nostrae apud creatorem. Sic et pascha nostrum immolatus est Christus. Quare pascha Christus, si non pascha figura Christi per similitudinem sanguinis salutaris pecoris et Christi? Quid nobis et Christo imagines induit sollemnium creatoris, si non erant nostrae? / [2] Of course, a man of the noble courage of our apostle (to say nothing of the Holy Ghost) was afraid, when writing to the children whom he had begotten in the gospel, to speak freely of the God of the world; for against Him he could not possibly seem to have a word to say, except only in a straightforward manner! I quite admit, that, according to the Creator's law, the man was an offender" who had his father's wife." He followed, no doubt, the principles of natural and public law. When, however, he condemns the man "to be delivered unto Satan," he becomes the herald of an avenging God. It does not matter that he also said, "For the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord," since both in the destruction of the flesh and in the saving of the spirit there is, on His part, judicial process; and when he bade "the wicked person be put away from the midst of them," he only mentioned what is a very frequently recurring sentence of the Creator. [3] "Purge out the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened." The unleavened bread was therefore, in the Creator's ordinance, a figure of us (Christians). "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us." But why is Christ our passover, if the passover be not a type of Christ, in the similitude of the blood which saves, and of the Lamb, which is Christ? Why does (the apostle) clothe us and Christ with symbols of the Creator's solemn rites, unless they had relation to ourselves?
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7: <ε> (<ιγ>). «Καὶ γὰρ τὸ Πάσχα ἡμῶν ἐτύθη Χριστός». / 5(13). 'For even Christ our passover is sacrificed.'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <ε> <καὶ> <ιγ> <σχόλιον>. «Καὶ γὰρ τὸ Πάσχα ἡμῶν ἐτύθη Χριστός». <ε> <καὶ> <ιγ> <ἔλεγχος>. Εἰ Πάσχα ὁ ἀπόστολος ὁμολογεῖ καὶ τυθέντα τὸν Χριστὸν οὐκ ἀρνεῖται, οὐκ ἀλλότριον τὸ Πάσχα τοῦ Χριστοῦ, τοῦ κατὰ νόμον Πάσχα πρόβατον θύοντος ἀληθινῶς καὶ οὐ δοκήσει, οὗ προβάτου τύπος ἦν ὁ οὐ δοκήσει θυόμενος Χριστὸς οὐδὲ ἄνευ σαρκὸς πάσχων. πῶς γὰρ ἠδύνατο πνεῦμα θύεσθαι; δῆλον <ὅτι> οὐκ ἠδύνατο. μὴ δυναμένου δὲ ἄνευ σαρκὸς τυθῆναι, τυθέντος δὲ ἐν ἀληθείᾳ, ὡς ὁμολογεῖται διὰ τῆς τοῦ ἀποστόλου ἀναμφιλέκτου μαρτυρίας, *. οὐκοῦν ἐκ παντὸς σαφῶς ἀποδέδεικται οὐκ ἀλλότριος ὁ νόμος, τύπῳ φερόμενος χρόνῳ ἄχρι τοῦ ἐντελεστέρου καὶ ἐναργοῦς προβάτου τυθέντος ἐν ἀληθείᾳ Χριστοῦ, οὗ προῆγεν ἐν τοῖς παλαιοῖς χρόνοις [ἄλλοις] θυόμενον τὸ πρόβατον τὸ αἰσθητόν. «ἡμῶν δὲ τὸ Πάσχα ἐτύθη Χριστός». / Scholion 5 and 13. 'For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed.' (a) Elenchus 5 and 13. If the apostle acknowledges a Passover and does not deny that Christ was sacrificed, the Passover is not foreign to Christ, who truly, not in appearance, sacrifices a lamb for a Passover, as the Law prescribes. Of this lamb Christ, who was not sacrificed (only) in appearance and did not suffer without flesh, is a type. (b) For how could a spirit be sacrificed? It is plain that that it could not. But since he could not have been sacrificed without flesh, and yet—as is acknowledged by the apostle's undoubted testimony—he was truly sacrificed, it is plain that he had clothed himself with flesh. (c) Therefore it is plainly proven on all counts that the Law was not foreign to him. The Law was temporarily in force as a type until the coming of Christ, the more perfect and manifest Lamb, who was sacrificed in truth—the Lamb which the actual lamb which was sacrificed in ancient times anticipated. But as 'our Passover, Christ was sacrificed.'
Adamantius Dialogue 2.5.
Adamantius Dialogue 2.18.
Adamantius Dialogue 2.21.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 6.1-20.

1 Τολμᾷ τις ὑμῶν πρᾶγμα ἔχων πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον κρίνεσθαι ἐπὶ τῶν ἀδίκων, καὶ οὐχὶ ἐπὶ τῶν ἁγίων; 2 ἢ οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι οἱ ἅγιοι τὸν κόσμον κρινοῦσιν; καὶ εἰ ἐν ὑμῖν κρίνεται ὁ κόσμος, ἀνάξιοί ἐστε κριτηρίων ἐλαχίστων; 3 οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι ἀγγέλους κρινοῦμεν, μήτιγε βιωτικά; 4 βιωτικὰ μὲν οὖν κριτήρια ἐὰν ἔχητε, τοὺς ἐξουθενημένους ἐν τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ, τούτους καθίζετε; 5 πρὸς ἐντροπὴν ὑμῖν λέγω. οὕτως οὐκ ἔνι ἐν ὑμῖν οὐδεὶς σοφὸς, ὃς δυνήσεται διακρῖναι ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτοῦ; 6 ἀλλὰ ἀδελφὸς μετὰ ἀδελφοῦ κρίνεται, καὶ τοῦτο ἐπὶ ἀπίστων; 7 ἤδη μὲν οὖν ὅλως ἥττημα ὑμῖν ἐστιν ὅτι κρίματα ἔχετε μεθ’ ἑαυτῶν. διὰ τί οὐχὶ μᾶλλον ἀδικεῖσθε; διὰ τί οὐχὶ μᾶλλον ἀποστερεῖσθε; 8 ἀλλὰ ὑμεῖς ἀδικεῖτε καὶ ἀποστερεῖτε, καὶ τοῦτο ἀδελφούς. 9 ἢ οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι ἄδικοι Θεοῦ βασιλείαν οὐ κληρονομήσουσιν; μὴ πλανᾶσθε· οὔτε πόρνοι οὔτε εἰδωλολάτραι οὔτε μοιχοὶ οὔτε μαλακοὶ οὔτε ἀρσενοκοῖται 10 οὔτε κλέπται οὔτε πλεονέκται, οὐ μέθυσοι, οὐ λοίδοροι, οὐχ ἅρπαγες βασιλείαν Θεοῦ κληρονομήσουσιν. 11 καὶ ταῦτά τινες ἦτε· ἀλλὰ ἀπελούσασθε, ἀλλὰ ἡγιάσθητε, ἀλλὰ ἐδικαιώθητε ἐν τῷ ὀνόματι τοῦ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ καὶ ἐν τῷ Πνεύματι τοῦ Θεοῦ ἡμῶν. 12 Πάντα μοι ἔξεστιν, ἀλλ’ οὐ πάντα συμφέρει. πάντα μοι ἔξεστιν, ἀλλ’ οὐκ ἐγὼ ἐξουσιασθήσομαι ὑπό τινος. 13 τὰ βρώματα τῇ κοιλίᾳ, καὶ ἡ κοιλία τοῖς βρώμασιν· ὁ δὲ Θεὸς καὶ ταύτην καὶ ταῦτα καταργήσει. τὸ δὲ σῶμα οὐ τῇ πορνείᾳ ἀλλὰ τῷ Κυρίῳ, καὶ ὁ Κύριος τῷ σώματι· 14 ὁ δὲ Θεὸς καὶ τὸν Κύριον ἤγειρεν καὶ ἡμᾶς ἐξεγερεῖ διὰ τῆς δυνάμεως αὐτοῦ. 15 οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι τὰ σώματα ὑμῶν μέλη Χριστοῦ ἐστιν; ἄρας οὖν τὰ μέλη τοῦ Χριστοῦ ποιήσω πόρνης μέλη; μὴ γένοιτο. 16 ἢ οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι ὁ κολλώμενος τῇ πόρνῃ ἓν σῶμά ἐστιν; Ἔσονται γάρ, φησίν, οἱ δύο εἰς σάρκα μίαν. 17 ὁ δὲ κολλώμενος τῷ Κυρίῳ ἓν πνεῦμά ἐστιν. 18 φεύγετε τὴν πορνείαν. πᾶν ἁμάρτημα ὃ ἐὰν ποιήσῃ ἄνθρωπος ἐκτὸς τοῦ σώματός ἐστιν· ὁ δὲ πορνεύων εἰς τὸ ἴδιον σῶμα ἁμαρτάνει. 19 ἢ οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι τὸ σῶμα ὑμῶν ναὸς τοῦ ἐν ὑμῖν Ἁγίου Πνεύματός ἐστιν, οὗ ἔχετε ἀπὸ Θεοῦ; καὶ οὐκ ἐστὲ ἑαυτῶν; 20 ἠγοράσθητε γὰρ τιμῆς· δοξάσατε δὴ τὸν Θεὸν ἐν τῷ σώματι ὑμῶν. 1 Dare any of you, having a matter against his neighbor, go to law before the unrighteous, and not before the saints? 2 Don’t you know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? [Criterion 2:] 3 Don’t you know that we will judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life? 4 If then you have to judge things pertaining to this life, do you set them to judge who are of no account in the assembly? 5 I say this to move you to shame. Isn’t there even one wise man among you who would be able to decide between his brothers? 6 But brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers! 7 Therefore it is already altogether a defect in you, that you have lawsuits one with another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 No, but you yourselves do wrong and defraud, and that against your brothers. 9 Or don’t you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Don’t be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor slanderers, nor extortionists, will inherit God’s Kingdom. 11 Some of you were such, but you were washed. But you were sanctified. But you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God. 12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are expedient. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be brought under the power of anything. 13 “Foods for the belly, and the belly for foods,” but God will bring to nothing both it and them. But the body is not for sexual immorality, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body, as the temple is for God and God for the temple. 14 Now God raised up the Lord, and will also raise us up by his power. 15 Don’t you know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be! 16 Or don’t you know that he who is joined to a prostitute is one body? For, “The two”, he says, “will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. 18 Flee sexual immorality! “Every sin that a man does is outside the body,” but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or don’t you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. Therefore glorify and exalt God in your body [Marcion: bodies] and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.4-5: [4] Avertens autem nos a fornicatione manifestat carnis resurrectionem. Corpus, inquit, non fornicationi sed domino, et dominus corpori, ut templum deo et deus templo. Templum ergo deo peribit, et deus templo? Atquin vides, Qui dominum suscitavit, et nos suscitabit; in corpore quoque suscitabit, quia corpus domino, et dominus corpori. Et bene quod aggerat, Nescitis corpora vestra membra esse Christi? Quid dicet haereticus? Membra Christi non resurgent, quae nostra iam non sunt? Empti enim sumus pretio magno. [5] Plane nullo, si phantasma fuit Christus nec habuit ullam substantiam corporis quam pro nostris corporibus dependeret. Ergo et Christus habuit quo nos redimeret, et si aliquo magno redemit haec corpora, in quae eadem committenda fornicatio non erit, ut in membra iam Christi non nostra, utique sibi salva praestabit quae magno comparavit. Iam nunc quomodo honorabimus, quomodo tollemus deum in corpore perituro? / [4] When, again, he warns us against fornication, he reveals the resurrection of the flesh. "The body," says he, "is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body," just as the temple is for God, and God for the temple. A temple will therefore pass away with its god, and its god with the temple. You see, then, how that "He who raised up the Lord will also raise us up." In the body will He raise us, because the body is for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And suitably does he add the question: "Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? " What has the heretic to say? That these members of Christ will not rise again, for they are no longer our own? "For," he says, "ye are bought with a price." [5] A price! surely none at all was paid, since Christ was a phantom, nor had He any corporeal substance which He could pay for our bodies! But, in truth, Christ had wherewithal to redeem us; and since He has redeemed, at a great price, these bodies of ours, against which fornication must not be committed (because they are now members of Christ, and not our own), surely He will secure, on His own account, the safety of those whom He made His own at so much cost! Now, how shall we glorify, how shall we exalt, God in our body, which is doomed to perish?
From Tertullian, Against Marcion 4.34.5: Scilicet nec tuum apostolum sinere coniungi prostitutae membra Christi. / But your own apostle, you know, does not permit "the members of Christ to be joined to a harlot."
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7: <Ϛ> (<ιδ>). «Οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι ὁ κολλώμενος τῇ πόρνῃ ἓν σῶμά ἐστιν; ἔσονται γάρ, φησίν, οἱ δύο εἰς σάρκα μίαν». / 6(14). 'Know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? For two, saith he, shall be one flesh.'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <Ϛ> <καὶ> <ιδ> <σχόλιον>. «Οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι ὁ κολλώμενος τῇ πόρνῃ ἓν σῶμά ἐστιν; ἔσονται γάρ, φησίν, οἱ δύο εἰς σάρκα μίαν». <Ϛ> <καὶ> <ιδ> <ἔλεγχος>. Εἰ οὐκ ἀληθὴς ὁ νόμος, τίνι τῷ λόγῳ οἱ ἀληθεῖς τὰς μαρτυρίας ἀπὸ τοῦ νόμου λαμβάνουσιν; ὧν εἷς ὑπάρχει ὁ ἅγιος θεοῦ ἀπόστολος Παῦλος, ὁ τὴν μαρτυρίαν ταύτην μετὰ καὶ πολλῶν ἄλλων λαβὼν εἰς ἐναργῆ παράστασιν ἀληθείας καὶ κηρύγματος τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ θεοῦ. / Scholion 6 and 14. 'Know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? For two, saith he, shall be one flesh.' Elenchus 6 and 14. If the Law is not true, why do truthful persons take the testimonies from the Law? One of them is God's holy apostle Paul, who took this text, together with many others, in manifest proof of truth, and of the proclamation of the good God.
Adamantius Dialogue 5.22-23.
Peter Kirby remarks concerning 1 Corinthians 6.3-6: Alexandrinus omits this passage, and it is not explicitly attested. On the other hand, I do not really believe it was absent in Marcion’s Apostolikon.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 7.1-40.

1 Περὶ δὲ ὧν ἐγράψατε, καλὸν ἀνθρώπῳ γυναικὸς μὴ ἅπτεσθαι· 2 διὰ δὲ τὰς πορνείας ἕκαστος τὴν ἑαυτοῦ γυναῖκα ἐχέτω, καὶ ἑκάστη τὸν ἴδιον ἄνδρα ἐχέτω. 3 τῇ γυναικὶ ὁ ἀνὴρ τὴν ὀφειλὴν ἀποδιδότω, ὁμοίως δὲ καὶ ἡ γυνὴ τῷ ἀνδρί. 4 ἡ γυνὴ τοῦ ἰδίου σώματος οὐκ ἐξουσιάζει ἀλλὰ ὁ ἀνήρ· ὁμοίως δὲ καὶ ὁ ἀνὴρ τοῦ ἰδίου σώματος οὐκ ἐξουσιάζει ἀλλὰ ἡ γυνή. 5 μὴ ἀποστερεῖτε ἀλλήλους, εἰ μήτι ἂν ἐκ συμφώνου πρὸς καιρὸν ἵνα σχολάσητε τῇ προσευχῇ καὶ πάλιν ἐπὶ τὸ αὐτὸ ἦτε, ἵνα μὴ πειράζῃ ὑμᾶς ὁ Σατανᾶς διὰ τὴν ἀκρασίαν ὑμῶν. 6 τοῦτο δὲ λέγω κατὰ συνγνώμην, οὐ κατ’ ἐπιταγήν. 7 θέλω δὲ πάντας ἀνθρώπους εἶναι ὡς καὶ ἐμαυτόν· ἀλλὰ ἕκαστος ἴδιον ἔχει χάρισμα ἐκ Θεοῦ, ὁ μὲν οὕτως, ὁ δὲ οὕτως. 8 Λέγω δὲ τοῖς ἀγάμοις καὶ ταῖς χήραις, καλὸν αὐτοῖς ἐὰν μείνωσιν ὡς κἀγώ· 9 εἰ δὲ οὐκ ἐγκρατεύονται, γαμησάτωσαν· κρεῖττον γάρ ἐστιν γαμεῖν ἢ πυροῦσθαι. 10 τοῖς δὲ γεγαμηκόσιν παραγγέλλω, οὐκ ἐγὼ ἀλλὰ ὁ Κύριος, γυναῖκα ἀπὸ ἀνδρὸς μὴ χωρισθῆναι,— 11 ἐὰν δὲ καὶ χωρισθῇ, μενέτω ἄγαμος ἢ τῷ ἀνδρὶ καταλλαγήτω,— καὶ ἄνδρα γυναῖκα μὴ ἀφιέναι. 12 τοῖς δὲ λοιποῖς λέγω ἐγώ, οὐχ ὁ Κύριος· εἴ τις ἀδελφὸς γυναῖκα ἔχει ἄπιστον, καὶ αὕτη συνευδοκεῖ οἰκεῖν μετ’ αὐτοῦ, μὴ ἀφιέτω αὐτήν· 13 καὶ γυνὴ ἥτις ἔχει ἄνδρα ἄπιστον, καὶ οὗτος συνευδοκεῖ οἰκεῖν μετ’ αὐτῆς, μὴ ἀφιέτω τὸν ἄνδρα. 14 ἡγίασται γὰρ ὁ ἀνὴρ ὁ ἄπιστος ἐν τῇ γυναικί, καὶ ἡγίασται ἡ γυνὴ ἡ ἄπιστος ἐν τῷ ἀδελφῷ· ἐπεὶ ἄρα τὰ τέκνα ὑμῶν ἀκάθαρτά ἐστιν, νῦν δὲ ἅγιά ἐστιν. 15 εἰ δὲ ὁ ἄπιστος χωρίζεται, χωριζέσθω· οὐ δεδούλωται ὁ ἀδελφὸς ἢ ἡ ἀδελφὴ ἐν τοῖς τοιούτοις· ἐν δὲ εἰρήνῃ κέκληκεν ὑμᾶς ὁ Θεός. 16 τί γὰρ οἶδας, γύναι, εἰ τὸν ἄνδρα σώσεις; ἢ τί οἶδας, ἄνερ, εἰ τὴν γυναῖκα σώσεις; 17 Εἰ μὴ ἑκάστῳ ὡς μεμέρικεν ὁ Κύριος, ἕκαστον ὡς κέκληκεν ὁ Θεός, οὕτως περιπατείτω. καὶ οὕτως ἐν ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις πάσαις διατάσσομαι. 18 περιτετμημένος τις ἐκλήθη; μὴ ἐπισπάσθω· ἐν ἀκροβυστίᾳ κέκληταί τις; μὴ περιτεμνέσθω. 19 ἡ περιτομὴ οὐδέν ἐστιν, καὶ ἡ ἀκροβυστία οὐδέν ἐστιν, ἀλλὰ τήρησις ἐντολῶν Θεοῦ. 20 ἕκαστος ἐν τῇ κλήσει ᾗ ἐκλήθη, ἐν ταύτῃ μενέτω. 21 δοῦλος ἐκλήθης; μή σοι μελέτω· ἀλλ’ εἰ καὶ δύνασαι ἐλεύθερος γενέσθαι, μᾶλλον χρῆσαι. 22 ὁ γὰρ ἐν Κυρίῳ κληθεὶς δοῦλος ἀπελεύθερος Κυρίου ἐστίν· ὁμοίως ὁ ἐλεύθερος κληθεὶς δοῦλός ἐστιν Χριστοῦ. 23 τιμῆς ἠγοράσθητε· μὴ γίνεσθε δοῦλοι ἀνθρώπων. 24 ἕκαστος ἐν ᾧ ἐκλήθη, ἀδελφοί, ἐν τούτῳ μενέτω παρὰ Θεῷ. 25 Περὶ δὲ τῶν παρθένων ἐπιταγὴν Κυρίου οὐκ ἔχω, γνώμην δὲ δίδωμι ὡς ἠλεημένος ὑπὸ Κυρίου πιστὸς εἶναι. 26 Νομίζω οὖν τοῦτο καλὸν ὑπάρχειν διὰ τὴν ἐνεστῶσαν ἀνάγκην, ὅτι καλὸν ἀνθρώπῳ τὸ οὕτως εἶναι. 27 δέδεσαι γυναικί; μὴ ζήτει λύσιν· λέλυσαι ἀπὸ γυναικός; μὴ ζήτει γυναῖκα. 28 ἐὰν δὲ καὶ γαμήσῃς, οὐχ ἥμαρτες, καὶ ἐὰν γήμῃ ἡ παρθένος, οὐχ ἥμαρτεν· θλῖψιν δὲ τῇ σαρκὶ ἕξουσιν οἱ τοιοῦτοι, ἐγὼ δὲ ὑμῶν φείδομαι. 29 Τοῦτο δέ φημι, ἀδελφοί, ὁ καιρὸς συνεσταλμένος ἐστίν· τὸ λοιπὸν ἵνα καὶ οἱ ἔχοντες γυναῖκας ὡς μὴ ἔχοντες ὦσιν, 30 καὶ οἱ κλαίοντες ὡς μὴ κλαίοντες, καὶ οἱ χαίροντες ὡς μὴ χαίροντες, καὶ οἱ ἀγοράζοντες ὡς μὴ κατέχοντες, 31 καὶ οἱ χρώμενοι τὸν κόσμον ὡς μὴ καταχρώμενοι· παράγει γὰρ τὸ σχῆμα τοῦ κόσμου τούτου. 32 θέλω δὲ ὑμᾶς ἀμερίμνους εἶναι. ὁ ἄγαμος μεριμνᾷ τὰ τοῦ Κυρίου, πῶς ἀρέσῃ τῷ Κυρίῳ· 33 ὁ δὲ γαμήσας μεριμνᾷ τὰ τοῦ κόσμου, πῶς ἀρέσῃ τῇ γυναικί, 34 καὶ μεμέρισται. καὶ ἡ γυνὴ ἡ ἄγαμος καὶ ἡ παρθένος μεριμνᾷ τὰ τοῦ Κυρίου, ἵνα ᾖ ἁγία καὶ τῷ σώματι καὶ τῷ πνεύματι· ἡ δὲ γαμήσασα μεριμνᾷ τὰ τοῦ κόσμου, πῶς ἀρέσῃ τῷ ἀνδρί. 35 τοῦτο δὲ πρὸς τὸ ὑμῶν αὐτῶν σύμφορον λέγω, οὐχ ἵνα βρόχον ὑμῖν ἐπιβάλω, ἀλλὰ πρὸς τὸ εὔσχημον καὶ εὐπάρεδρον τῷ Κυρίῳ ἀπερισπάστως. 36 Εἰ δέ τις ἀσχημονεῖν ἐπὶ τὴν παρθένον αὐτοῦ νομίζει, ἐὰν ᾖ ὑπέρακμος, καὶ οὕτως ὀφείλει γίνεσθαι, ὃ θέλει ποιείτω· οὐχ ἁμαρτάνει· γαμείτωσαν. 37 ὃς δὲ ἕστηκεν ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ αὐτοῦ ἑδραῖος μὴ ἔχων ἀνάγκην, ἐξουσίαν δὲ ἔχει περὶ τοῦ ἰδίου θελήματος, καὶ τοῦτο κέκρικεν ἐν τῇ ἰδίᾳ καρδίᾳ, τηρεῖν τὴν ἑαυτοῦ παρθένον, καλῶς ποιήσει. 38 ὥστε καὶ ὁ γαμίζων τὴν ἑαυτοῦ παρθένον καλῶς ποιεῖ, καὶ ὁ μὴ γαμίζων κρεῖσσον ποιήσει. 39 Γυνὴ δέδεται ἐφ’ ὅσον χρόνον ζῇ ὁ ἀνὴρ αὐτῆς· ἐὰν δὲ κοιμηθῇ ὁ ἀνήρ, ἐλευθέρα ἐστὶν ᾧ θέλει γαμηθῆναι, μόνον ἐν Κυρίῳ· 40 μακαριωτέρα δέ ἐστιν ἐὰν οὕτως μείνῃ, κατὰ τὴν ἐμὴν γνώμην· δοκῶ δὲ κἀγὼ Πνεῦμα Θεοῦ ἔχειν. 1 Now concerning the things about which you wrote to me: it is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 But, because of sexual immoralities, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband give his wife the affection owed her, and likewise also the wife her husband. 4 The wife doesn’t have authority over her own body, but the husband. Likewise also the husband doesn’t have authority over his own body, but the wife. 5 Don’t deprive one another, unless it is by consent for a season, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer, and may be together again, that Satan doesn’t tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But this I say by way of concession, not of commandment. 7 Yet I wish that all men were like me. However each man has his own gift from God, one of this kind, and another of that kind. 8 But I say to the unmarried and to widows, it is good for them if they remain even as I am. 9 But if they don’t have self-control, let them marry. For it’s better to marry than to burn. 10 But to the married I command—not I, but the Lord—that the wife not leave her husband 11 (but if she departs, let her remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband not leave his wife. 12 But to the rest I—not the Lord—say, if any brother has an unbelieving wife, and she is content to live with him, let him not leave her. 13 The woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he is content to live with her, let her not leave her husband. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in the husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 Yet if the unbeliever departs, let there be separation. The brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us in peace. 16 For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife? 17 Only, as the Lord has distributed to each man, as God has called each, so let him walk. So I command in all the assemblies. 18 Was anyone called having been circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? Let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. 20 Let each man stay in that calling in which he was called. 21 Were you called being a bondservant? Don’t let that bother you, but if you get an opportunity to become free, use it. 22 For he who was called in the Lord being a bondservant is the Lord’s free man. Likewise he who was called being free is Christ’s bondservant. 23 You were bought with a price. Don’t become bondservants of men. 24 Brothers, let each man, in whatever condition he was called, stay in that condition with God. 25 Now concerning virgins, I have no commandment from the Lord, but I give my judgment as one who has obtained mercy from the Lord to be trustworthy. 26 Therefore I think that because of the distress that is on us, that it’s good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you bound to a wife? Don’t seek to be freed. Are you free from a wife? Don’t seek a wife. 28 But if you marry, you have not sinned. If a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have oppression in the flesh, and I want to spare you. 29 But I say this, brothers: the time is short, that from now on, both those who have wives may be as though they had none; 30 and those who weep, as though they didn’t weep; and those who rejoice, as though they didn’t rejoice; and those who buy, as though they didn’t possess; 31 and those who use the world, as not using it to the fullest. For the mode of this world passes away. 32 But I desire to have you to be free from cares. He who is unmarried is concerned for the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord; 33 but he who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife. 34 There is also a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband. 35 This I say for your own profit; not that I may ensnare you, but for that which is appropriate, and that you may attend to the Lord without distraction. 36 But if any man thinks that he is behaving inappropriately toward his virgin, if she is past the flower of her age, and if need so requires, let him do what he desires. He doesn’t sin. Let them marry. 37 But he who stands steadfast in his heart, having no urgency, but has power over his own will, and has determined in his own heart to keep his own virgin, does well. [Criterion 2:] 38 So then both he who gives his own virgin in marriage does well, and he who doesn’t give her in marriage does better. 39 A wife is bound by law for as long as her husband lives; but if the husband is dead, she is free to be married to whomever she desires, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she stays as she is, in my judgment, and I think that I also have God’s Spirit.

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.6: [6] Sequitur de nuptiis congredi, quas Marcion constantior apostolo prohibet. Etenim apostolus, etsi bonum continentiae praefert, tamen coniugium et contrahi permittit et usui esse, et magis retineri quam disiungi suadet. Plane Christus vetat divortium, Moyses vero permittit. Marcion totum concubitum auferens fidelibus (viderint enim catechumeni eius), repudium ante nuptias iubens, cuius sententiam sequitur, Moysi an Christi? / [6] We must now encounter the subject of marriage, which Marcion, more continent than the apostle, prohibits. For the apostle, although preferring the grace of continence, yet permits the contraction of marriage and the enjoyment of it, and advises the continuance therein rather than the dissolution there of. Christ plainly forbids divorce, Moses unquestionably permits it. Now, when Marcion wholly prohibits all carnal intercourse to the faithful (for we will say nothing about his catechumens), and when he prescribes repudiation of all engagements before marriage, whose teaching does he follow, that of Moses or of Christ?
Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.8: [8] Quia tempus in collecto est. Putaveram, quia deus alius in Christo; et tamen a quo est collectio temporis, ab eo erit et quod collectioni temporis congruit. Nemo alieno tempori consulit. Pusillum deum affirmas tuum, Marcion, quem in aliquo coangustat tempus creatoris. Gerte praescribens tantum in domino esse nubendum, ne qui fidelis ethnicum matrimonium contrahat, legem tuetur creatoris, allophylorum nuptias ubique prohibentis. / [8] Because "the time is short." I had almost thought it was because in Christ there was another god! And yet He from whom emanates this shortness of the time, will also send what suits the said brevity. No one makes provision for the time which is another's. You degrade your god, O Marcion, when you make him circumscribed at all by the Creator's time. Assuredly also, when (the apostle) rules that marriage should be "only in the Lord," that no Christian should intermarry with a heathen, he maintains a law of the Creator, who everywhere prohibits marriage with strangers.
From Origen, Catena Fragment on 1 Corinthians 7.7: θέλω δὲ πάντας ἀνθρώπους εἶναι ὡς καὶ ἐμαυτόν. ἀλλ' ἕκαστος ἴδιον ἔχει χάρισμα ἐκ θεοῦ, ὃς μὲν οὕτως, ὃς δὲ οὕτως. .... οὐ γὰρ δύναται τὸ χάρισμα τοῦ θεοῦ φθάνειν ἐπὶ τοὺς ἐθνικούς· ἐὰν πιστεύσῃ, ἐὰν σωθῇ, τότε ἀρχὴν λήψεται τοῦ χαρίσματος. Χρῶνται δὲ τῷ ῥητῷ τούτῳ καὶ οἱ ἀπὸ Μαρκίωνος, καὶ ἀναισθήτως κωλύουσι τὸν γάμον, λέγοντες τὴν ἁγνείαν πρόσταγμα εἶναι τοῦ ἄλλου θεοῦ ὃν ἀνέπλασαν παρὰ τὸν δημιουργόν. πλὴν ἐκ τοῦ ῥητοῦ ἔστιν αὐτοὺς συμβιβάσαι ὅτι κακῶς κωλύουσι τὸν γάμον, κακῶς καὶ διαιροῦσι τὴν θεότητα. / Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. .... But those from Marcion also use this saying, and they insensibly forbid marriage, saying that purity is the commandment of the other God, whom they have fashioned anew beyond the demiurge. It is from this saying, however, that it is inferred that wrongly they forbid marriage, wrongly also divide the godhead.
Peter Kirby remarks concerning 1 Corinthians 7.38: F, G, 323, 614, 630, 1319, 1352, 1837, 2147, and 2412 omit this verse, and it is not explicitly attested.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 8.1-13.

1 Περὶ δὲ τῶν εἰδωλοθύτων, οἴδαμεν ὅτι πάντες γνῶσιν ἔχομεν. ἡ γνῶσις φυσιοῖ, ἡ δὲ ἀγάπη οἰκοδομεῖ· 2 εἴ τις δοκεῖ ἐγνωκέναι τι, οὔπω ἔγνω καθὼς δεῖ γνῶναι· 3 εἰ δέ τις ἀγαπᾷ τὸν Θεόν, οὗτος ἔγνωσται ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ. 4 Περὶ τῆς βρώσεως οὖν τῶν εἰδωλοθύτων οἴδαμεν ὅτι οὐδὲν εἴδωλον ἐν κόσμῳ, καὶ ὅτι οὐδεὶς Θεὸς εἰ μὴ εἷς. 5 καὶ γὰρ εἴπερ εἰσὶν λεγόμενοι θεοὶ εἴτε ἐν οὐρανῷ εἴτε ἐπὶ γῆς, ὥσπερ εἰσὶν θεοὶ πολλοὶ καὶ κύριοι πολλοί, 6 ἀλλ’ ἡμῖν εἷς Θεὸς ὁ Πατήρ, ἐξ οὗ τὰ πάντα καὶ ἡμεῖς εἰς αὐτόν, καὶ εἷς Κύριος Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, δι’ οὗ τὰ πάντα καὶ ἡμεῖς δι’ αὐτοῦ. 7 ἀλλ’ οὐκ ἐν πᾶσιν ἡ γνῶσις· τινὲς δὲ τῇ συνηθείᾳ ἕως ἄρτι τοῦ εἰδώλου ὡς εἰδωλόθυτον ἐσθίουσιν, καὶ ἡ συνείδησις αὐτῶν ἀσθενὴς οὖσα μολύνεται. 8 βρῶμα δὲ ἡμᾶς οὐ παραστήσει τῷ Θεῷ· οὔτε ἐὰν μὴ φάγωμεν ὑστερούμεθα, οὔτε ἐὰν φάγωμεν περισσεύομεν. 9 βλέπετε δὲ μή πως ἡ ἐξουσία ὑμῶν αὕτη πρόσκομμα γένηται τοῖς ἀσθενέσιν. 10 ἐὰν γάρ τις ἴδῃ σὲ τὸν ἔχοντα γνῶσιν ἐν εἰδωλίῳ κατακείμενον, οὐχὶ ἡ συνείδησις αὐτοῦ ἀσθενοῦς ὄντος οἰκοδομηθήσεται εἰς τὸ τὰ εἰδωλόθυτα ἐσθίειν; 11 ἀπόλλυται γὰρ ὁ ἀσθενῶν ἐν τῇ σῇ γνώσει, ὁ ἀδελφὸς δι’ ὃν Χριστὸς ἀπέθανεν. 12 οὕτως δὲ ἁμαρτάνοντες εἰς τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς καὶ τύπτοντες αὐτῶν τὴν συνείδησιν ἀσθενοῦσαν εἰς Χριστὸν ἁμαρτάνετε. 13 διόπερ εἰ βρῶμα σκανδαλίζει τὸν ἀδελφόν μου, οὐ μὴ φάγω κρέα εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα, ἵνα μὴ τὸν ἀδελφόν μου σκανδαλίσω. 1 Now concerning things sacrificed to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2 But if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he doesn’t yet know as he ought to know. 3 But if anyone loves God, the same is known by him. 4 Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that no idol is anything in the world, and that there is no other God but one. 5 For though there are things that are called “gods”, whether in the heavens or on earth; as there are many “gods” and many “lords”; 6 yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we live through him. 7 However, that knowledge isn’t in all men. But some, with consciousness of the idol until now, eat as of a thing sacrificed to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food will not commend us to God. For neither, if we don’t eat, are we the worse; nor, if we eat, are we the better. 9 But be careful that by no means does this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if a man sees you who have knowledge sitting in an idol’s temple, won’t his conscience, if he is weak, be emboldened to eat things sacrificed to idols? 11 And through your knowledge, he who is weak perishes, the brother for whose sake Christ died. 12 Thus, sinning against the brothers, and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore if food causes my brother to stumble, I will eat no meat forever more, that I don’t cause my brother to stumble.

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.9: [9] Sed, Et si sunt qui dicuntur dei, sive in caelis sive in terris, apparet quomodo dixerit; non quasi vere sint, sed quia sint qui dicantur, quando non sint. De idolis enim coepit de idolothytis disputaturus: Scimus quod idolum nihil sit. Creatorem autem et Marcion deum non negat; ergo non potest videri apostolus creatorem quoque inter eos posuisse qui dei dicantur et tamen non sint, quando, et si fuissent, nobis tamen unus esset deus pater. Ex quo omnia nobis, nisi cuius omnia? Quaenam ista? Habes in praeteritis, Omnia vestra sunt, sive Paulus, sive Apollo, sive Cephas, sive mundus, sive vita, sive mors, sive praesentia, sive futura. / [9] But when he says, "although there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth," the meaning of his words is clear----not as if there were gods in reality, but as if there were some who are called gods, without being truly so. He introduces his discussion about meats offered to idols with a statement concerning idols (themselves): "We know that an idol is nothing in the world." Marcion, however, does not say that the Creator is not God; so that the apostle can hardly be thought to have ranked the Creator amongst those who are called gods, without being so; since, even if they had been gods, "to us there is but one God, the Father." Now, from whom do all things come to us, but from Him to whom all things belong? And pray, what things are these? You have them in a preceding part of the epistle: "All things are yours; whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come."
From Eznik, De Deo 408: But, they say, the Apostle says: "It is better not to eat meat and not to drink wine or anything by which my brother might be scandalized." (Rom 14:21) And again, "I will never eat meat by which my brother might be scandalized." (1 Cor 8:13)
Jason BeDuhn remarks (page 277) concerning 1 Corinthians 8.13 and Eznik, De Deo 408: According to Eznik, this verse provided the justification for Marcionite vegetarianism.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

1 Corinthians 9.1-27.

1 Οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐλεύθερος; οὐκ εἰμὶ ἀπόστολος; οὐχὶ Ἰησοῦν τὸν Κύριον ἡμῶν ἑόρακα; οὐ τὸ ἔργον μου ὑμεῖς ἐστε ἐν Κυρίῳ; 2 εἰ ἄλλοις οὐκ εἰμὶ ἀπόστολος, ἀλλά γε ὑμῖν εἰμι· ἡ γὰρ σφραγίς μου τῆς ἀποστολῆς ὑμεῖς ἐστε ἐν Κυρίῳ. 3 Ἡ ἐμὴ ἀπολογία τοῖς ἐμὲ ἀνακρίνουσίν ἐστιν αὕτη. 4 μὴ οὐκ ἔχομεν ἐξουσίαν φαγεῖν καὶ πεῖν; 5 μὴ οὐκ ἔχομεν ἐξουσίαν ἀδελφὴν γυναῖκα περιάγειν, ὡς καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ ἀπόστολοι καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ τοῦ Κυρίου καὶ Κηφᾶς; 6 ἢ μόνος ἐγὼ καὶ Βαρνάβας οὐκ ἔχομεν ἐξουσίαν μὴ ἐργάζεσθαι; 7 τίς στρατεύεται ἰδίοις ὀψωνίοις ποτέ; τίς φυτεύει ἀμπελῶνα καὶ τὸν καρπὸν αὐτοῦ οὐκ ἐσθίει; ἢ τίς ποιμαίνει ποίμνην καὶ ἐκ τοῦ γάλακτος τῆς ποίμνης οὐκ ἐσθίει; 8 μὴ κατὰ ἄνθρωπον ταῦτα λαλῶ, ἢ καὶ ὁ νόμος ταῦτα οὐ λέγει; 9 ἐν γὰρ τῷ Μωϋσέως νόμῳ γέγραπται Οὐ κημώσεις βοῦν ἀλοῶντα. μὴ τῶν βοῶν μέλει τῷ Θεῷ; 10 ἢ δι’ ἡμᾶς πάντως λέγει; δι’ ἡμᾶς γὰρ ἐγράφη, ὅτι ὀφείλει ἐπ’ ἐλπίδι ὁ ἀροτριῶν ἀροτριᾶν, καὶ ὁ ἀλοῶν ἐπ’ ἐλπίδι τοῦ μετέχειν. 11 Εἰ ἡμεῖς ὑμῖν τὰ πνευματικὰ ἐσπείραμεν, μέγα εἰ ἡμεῖς ὑμῶν τὰ σαρκικὰ θερίσομεν; 12 εἰ ἄλλοι τῆς ὑμῶν ἐξουσίας μετέχουσιν, οὐ μᾶλλον ἡμεῖς; ἀλλ’ οὐκ ἐχρησάμεθα τῇ ἐξουσίᾳ ταύτῃ, ἀλλὰ πάντα στέγομεν ἵνα μή τινα ἐνκοπὴν δῶμεν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ τοῦ Χριστοῦ. 13 οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι οἱ τὰ ἱερὰ ἐργαζόμενοι τὰ ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ ἐσθίουσιν, οἱ τῷ θυσιαστηρίῳ παρεδρεύοντες τῷ θυσιαστηρίῳ συνμερίζονται; 14 οὕτως καὶ ὁ Κύριος διέταξεν τοῖς τὸ εὐαγγέλιον καταγγέλλουσιν ἐκ τοῦ εὐαγγελίου ζῆν· 15 ἐγὼ δὲ οὐ κέχρημαι οὐδενὶ τούτων. οὐκ ἔγραψα δὲ ταῦτα ἵνα οὕτως γένηται ἐν ἐμοί· καλὸν γάρ μοι μᾶλλον ἀποθανεῖν ἢ —τὸ καύχημά μου οὐδεὶς κενώσει. 16 ἐὰν γὰρ εὐαγγελίζωμαι, οὐκ ἔστιν μοι καύχημα· ἀνάγκη γάρ μοι ἐπίκειται· οὐαὶ γάρ μοί ἐστιν ἐὰν μὴ εὐαγγελίσωμαι. 17 εἰ γὰρ ἑκὼν τοῦτο πράσσω, μισθὸν ἔχω· εἰ δὲ ἄκων, οἰκονομίαν πεπίστευμαι. 18 τίς οὖν μού ἐστιν ὁ μισθός; ἵνα εὐαγγελιζόμενος ἀδάπανον θήσω τὸ εὐαγγέλιον, εἰς τὸ μὴ καταχρήσασθαι τῇ ἐξουσίᾳ μου ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ. 19 Ἐλεύθερος γὰρ ὢν ἐκ πάντων πᾶσιν ἐμαυτὸν ἐδούλωσα, ἵνα τοὺς πλείονας κερδήσω· 20 καὶ ἐγενόμην τοῖς Ἰουδαίοις ὡς Ἰουδαῖος, ἵνα Ἰουδαίους κερδήσω· τοῖς ὑπὸ νόμον ὡς ὑπὸ νόμον, μὴ ὢν αὐτὸς ὑπὸ νόμον, ἵνα τοὺς ὑπὸ νόμον κερδήσω· 21 τοῖς ἀνόμοις ὡς ἄνομος, μὴ ὢν ἄνομος Θεοῦ ἀλλ’ ἔννομος Χριστοῦ, ἵνα κερδάνω τοὺς ἀνόμους· 22 ἐγενόμην τοῖς ἀσθενέσιν ἀσθενής, ἵνα τοὺς ἀσθενεῖς κερδήσω· τοῖς πᾶσιν γέγονα πάντα, ἵνα πάντως τινὰς σώσω. 23 πάντα δὲ ποιῶ διὰ τὸ εὐαγγέλιον, ἵνα συνκοινωνὸς αὐτοῦ γένωμαι. 24 Οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι οἱ ἐν σταδίῳ τρέχοντες πάντες μὲν τρέχουσιν, εἷς δὲ λαμβάνει τὸ βραβεῖον; οὕτως τρέχετε ἵνα καταλάβητε. 25 πᾶς δὲ ὁ ἀγωνιζόμενος πάντα ἐγκρατεύεται, ἐκεῖνοι μὲν οὖν ἵνα φθαρτὸν στέφανον λάβωσιν, ἡμεῖς δὲ ἄφθαρτον. 26 ἐγὼ τοίνυν οὕτως τρέχω ὡς οὐκ ἀδήλως, οὕτως πυκτεύω ὡς οὐκ ἀέρα δέρων· 27 ἀλλὰ ὑπωπιάζω μου τὸ σῶμα καὶ δουλαγωγῶ, μή πως ἄλλοις κηρύξας αὐτὸς ἀδόκιμος γένωμαι. 1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Haven’t I seen Jesus Christ, our Lord? Aren’t you my work in the Lord? 2 If to others I am not an apostle, yet at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. 3 My defense to those who examine me is this: 4 Have we no right to eat and to drink? 5 Have we no right to take along a wife who is a believer, even as the rest of the apostles, and the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or have only Barnabas and I no right to not work? 7 What soldier ever serves at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard, and doesn’t eat of its fruit? Or who feeds a flock, and doesn’t drink from the flock’s milk? 8 Do I speak these things according to the ways of men? Or doesn’t the law also say the same thing? [Marcion: ...even if the law does not say these things.] 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it for the oxen that God cares, 10 or does he say it assuredly for our sake? Yes, it was written for our sake, because he who plows ought to plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should partake of his hope. 11 If we sowed to you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we reap your fleshly things? 12 If others partake of this right over you, don’t we yet more? Nevertheless we didn’t use this right, but we bear all things, that we may cause no hindrance to the Good News of Christ. 13 Don’t you know that those who serve around sacred things eat from the things of the temple, and those who wait on the altar have their portion with the altar? 14 Even so the Lord ordained that those who proclaim the Good News should live from the Good News. 15 But I have used none of these things, and I don’t write these things that it may be done so in my case; for I would rather die, than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the Good News, I have nothing to boast about; for necessity is laid on me; but woe is to me if I don’t preach the Good News. 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward. But if not of my own will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. 18 What then is my reward? That when I preach the Good News, I may present the Good News of Christ without charge, so as not to abuse my authority in the Good News. 19 For though I was free from all, I brought myself under bondage to all, that I might gain the more. [Criterion 2:] 20a To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that 20b I might gain those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became as weak, that I might gain the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some. 23 Now I do this for the sake of the Good News, that I may be a joint partaker of it. 24 Don’t you know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run like that, that you may win. 25 Every man who strives in the games exercises self-control in all things. Now they do it to receive a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore run like that, not aimlessly. I fight like that, not beating the air, 27 but I beat my body and bring it into submission, lest by any means, after I have preached to others, I myself should be rejected.

Tertullian, Against Marcion 5.7.10-11: [10] Adeo omnium deum creatorem facit, a quo et mundus et vita et mors, quae alterius dei esse non possunt. Ab eo igitur inter omnia et Christus. Ex labore suo unumquemque docens vivere oportere satis exempla praemiserat militum pastorum rusticorum; sed divina illi auctoritas deerat. Legem igitur opponit creatoris ingratis, quam destruebat; sui enim dei nullam talem habebat. Bovi, inquit, terenti os non obligabis, et adicit, Numquid de bubus pertinet ad dominum? etiam de bubus propter homines benignum? Propter nos enim scriptum est, inquit. [11] Ergo et legem allegoricam secundum nos probavit, et de evangelio viventibus patrocinantem, ac propter hoc non alterius esse evangelizatores quam cuius lex quae prospexit illis, cum dicit, Propter nos enim scriptum est. Sed noluit uti legis potestate, quia maluit gratis laborare. Hoc ad gloriam suam retulit, quam negavit quemquam evacuaturum, non ad legis destructionem qua alium probavit usurum. / [10] He makes the Creator, then the God of all things, from whom proceed both the world and life and death, which. cannot possibly belong to the other god. From Him, therefore, amongst the "all things" comes also Christ. When he teaches that every man ought to live of his own industry, he begins with a copious induction of examples----of soldiers, and shepherds, and husbandmen. But he wanted divine authority. What was the use, however, of adducing the Creator's, which he was destroying? It was vain to do so; for his god had no such authority! (The apostle) says: "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn," and adds: "Doth God take care of oxen? "Yes, of oxen, for the sake of men! For, says he, "it is written for our sakes." [11] Thus he showed that the law had a symbolic reference to ourselves, and that it gives its sanction in favour of those who live of the gospel. (He showed) also, that those who preach the gospel are on this account sent by no other god but Him to whom belongs the law, which made provision for them, when he says: "For our sakes was this writ. ten." Still he declined to use this power which the law gave him, because he preferred working without any restraint. Of this he boasted, and suffered no man to rob him of such glory ----certainly with no view of destroying the law, which he proved that another man might use.
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7: <ζ> (<ιε>). Μετηλλαγμένως· ἀντὶ γὰρ τοῦ «ἐν τῷ νόμῳ» λέγει «ἐν τῷ Μωυσέως νόμῳ». λέγει δὲ πρὸ τούτου· «ἢ καὶ ὁ νόμος ταῦτα οὐ λέγει;». <η> (<ιϚ>). «Μὴ τῶν βοῶν μέλει τῷ θεῷ;» / 7(15). Given in an altered form. In place of, 'in the Law,' he says 'in the Law of Moses.' But before this he says, 'Or saith not the Law the same also?' 8(16). 'Doth God take care for oxen?'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <ζ> <καὶ> <ιε> <σχόλιον>. Μετηλλαγμένως· ἀντὶ γὰρ τοῦ «ἐν τῷ νόμῳ» λέγει «ἐν τῷ Μωυσέως νόμῳ». λέγει δὲ πρὸ τούτου «ἢ καὶ ὁ νόμος ταῦτα οὐ λέγει». <ζ> <καὶ> <ιε> <ἔλεγχος>. Κἄν τε ἐν τῇ δευτέρᾳ ἀποφάσει ἀλλάξῃς τὸ εἶδος, ὦ Μαρκίων, καὶ νομίσῃς ἀπὸ τοῦ πεποιηκέναι σε «ἐν τῷ νόμῳ Μωυσέως» ἀπαλλοτριοῦν διὰ τοῦ «Μωυσέως» θεοῦ τὸν νόμον, ἄνωθεν ὁ σύνδεσμος ἐλέγχει σου τὴν ἀφροσύνην, τό «ἢ καὶ ὁ νόμος ταῦτα οὐ λέγει· ἐν γὰρ τῷ νόμῳ γέγραπται· οὐ φιμώσεις βοῦν ἀλοῶντα». οὐδὲν δὲ ἡμᾶς ἠδίκησας, κἄν τε προσθείης τὸ ὄνομα Μωυσέως, ἀλλὰ ἡμᾶς μὲν ὠφέλησας, κατὰ σαυτοῦ δὲ τὴν μαρτυρίαν ἔσφιγξας πανταχόθεν τε ὡμολόγησας ἀγνοῶν, τοῦ θεοῦ εἶναι τὸν Μωυσέως νόμον ἀπὸ τοῦ «ἐν τῷ νόμῳ Μωυσέως» καὶ «ὁ νόμος λέγει». ἐπακολουθεῖ γὰρ ὁ ἀπόστολος συντιθέμενος ἐν τῷ μετέπειτα εἰρηκέναι «μὴ τῶν βοῶν μέλει τῷ θεῷ; ἢ πάντως δι' ἡμᾶς εἴρηκεν». εἰ δὲ διὰ τοὺς ἀποστόλους εἴρηκεν ὁ νόμος, καὶ ὁ ἐν τῷ νόμῳ θεὸς λαλήσας ἐπιμελεῖται ἄρα τῶν ἀποστόλων τοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐν τῷ μὴ φιμοῦν αὐτοὺς παρακελεύεσθαι, ἤτοι τοῦ λαλεῖν τὴν τοῦ Χριστοῦ αὐτοῦ διδασκαλίαν ἤτοι τὴν ἐφήμερον τροφὴν παρὰ τῶν λαῶν ἀνενδεῶς αὐτοὺς ἔχειν. οὐκ ἄρα ἀλλοτρίους τοὺς ἀποστόλους ἑαυτοῦ τῆς θεότητος οἶδεν οὐδὲ οἱ ἀπόστολοι ἀλλότριον αὐτὸν θεὸν ἡγοῦνται. ἐξ ἧσπερ ὑπὲρ πάντων μαρτυρίαν ὁ ἅγιος ἀπόστολος ἀποδέδωκε φήσας «μὴ περὶ τῶν βοῶν μέλει τῷ θεῷ; ἀλλὰ διὰ τοὺς ἀποστόλους εἴρηκεν». καὶ εἰ διὰ τοὺς ἀποστόλους εἴρηκε, κτιστὴς δέ ἐστιν ἀνθρώπων καὶ κτηνῶν, ἐξ ὧν βόες τε καὶ στρουθοί, ἑρπετά τε καὶ κνώδαλα, ἐνάλιά τε καὶ τὰ ἄλλα, ἄρα μέλει αὐτῷ περὶ πάντων κατὰ τὴν ἑκάστου ἀναλογίαν. καὶ μέλει μὲν αὐτῷ περὶ πάντων ἐν τῷ λέγειν «ἀνθρώπους καὶ κτήνη σώσεις, κύριε» καὶ ἐν τῷ εἰρηκέναι «τίς δέδωκε κόρακι βοράν;» καί «νεοσσοὶ κοράκων πρὸς κύριον κεκράγασι. τὰ σῖτα ζητοῦντες» καί «δώσεις τὴν τροφὴν εὔκαιρον τοῖς πᾶσιν». ἀλλὰ οὐκ ἐν τῷ ἀλοᾶν τοὺς βοῦς παρεκελεύετο μὴ φιμοῦν βοῦν ἀλοῶντα, ἐπεὶ ἐδείκνυεν ἂν μὴ δύνασθαι τὸν θεὸν τρέφειν αὐτοῦ τὴν κτίσιν ἄλλως εἰ [καὶ] μὴ διὰ τῆς <ὑπὸ> τῶν ἀνθρώπων τοῖς κτήνεσιν ἐπικουρουμένης τροφῆς. ἔδειξε δὲ ὁ ἅγιος ἀπόστολος οὐ δι' ἀπορίαν τροφῆς τὸν θεὸν διὰ τοῦ ἀλοητοῦ ἐπιμέλεσθαι βοῶν ἐν τῷ παρακελεύεσθαι μὴ φιμοῦν τοὺς τοιούτους, ἀλλὰ διὰ τοῦ αἰνίγματος περὶ τῶν ἀποστόλων σημαίνεσθαι τὴν σχέσιν. † τῶν γὰρ κατὰ τὸ αἰσθητὸν πάντων ποιεῖται τὴν πρόνοιαν καὶ ὁμοίως μέλει αὐτῷ περὶ πάντων. οὐ γὰρ ἀντιθέτως ὁ ἀπόστολος πρὸς τὸν σωτῆρα ἔγραφεν, ἵνα οὕτως προφασίσωνται οἱ πολλοί. μικρότερα γὰρ τῶν βοῶν τὰ στρουθία, περὶ ὧν ὁ σωτὴρ ἔλεγεν ὅτι «πέντε στρουθία πωλεῖται ἀσσαρίων δύο» καὶ πάλιν «οὐχὶ δύο στρουθία πωλεῖται ἀσσαρίου ἑνός;». εἰ οὖν δύο στρουθία πωλεῖται ἀσσαρίου ἑνὸς καὶ ἓν ἐξ αὐτῶν οὐ πεσεῖται εἰς παγίδα ἄνευ τοῦ πατρὸς ὑμῶν τοῦ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς, ὁμοῦ μὲν πάντων προνοεῖ, τῶν δὲ μειζόνων ἐπιμελεῖται κατὰ τὸ μεῖζον εἶδος τῆς πνευματικῆς ἀκολουθίας. ὥστ' οὖν ἐκ παντὸς ὁμολογεῖται τὸν αὐτὸν ποιητὴν καὶ δημιουργὸν καὶ νομοθέτην παλαιᾶς καὶ καινῆς διαθήκης ὄντα, θεὸν ἀγαθόν τε καὶ δίκαιον καὶ τῶν πάντων κύριον. <η> <καὶ> <ιϚ> <σχόλιον>. «Μὴ τῶν βοῶν μέλει τῷ θεῷ;» <η> <καὶ> <ιϚ> <ἔλεγχος>. Ἤδη διαπεπραγμάτευται καὶ διὰ πλάτους ἡρμήνευται ἐν τῷ πρὸ αὐτοῦ ῥητῷ. διὸ περιττὸν ἡγησάμενος αὖθις περὶ αὐτοῦ λέγειν ἠρκέσθην τοῖς προειρημένοις. / Scholion 7 and 15. Given in an altered form. In place of, 'in the Law,' he says, 'in the Law of Moses.' But before this he says, 'Or saith not the Law the same also?' (a) Elenchus 7 and 15. Even if you change the form in the second expression, Marcion, and think that by your having written, 'in the Law of Moses,' you have separated the Law from God by means of that 'Moses,' the union (of the two texts) just before this refutes your foolishness—(that is, the union of ) 'Or saith not the Law the same also?' (with) 'For it is written in the Law, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn.' (b) No matter if you added Moses' name you have done us no harm, but have helped us by tying the evidence against yourself together at every point and unwittingly admitting, through the phrases, 'in the Law of Moses,' and, 'the Law saith,' that the Law of Moses is God's Law. (c) For the apostle goes on in agreement with this by saying in the next sentence, 'Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes?' But if the Law has spoken for the apostles' sakes then, likewise, the God who spoke in the Law is looking after Christ's apostles by ordering that they not be 'muzzled'—either so that they may teach the doctrine of Christ himself, or so that they may receive their daily bread from the people without fear. He therefore does not know the apostles to be foreign to his own Godhead; nor do the apostles regard him as a foreign God. (d) By this Godhead's inspiration the holy apostle has given the testimony of all creatures through saying, 'Doth God take care for oxen? But for the apostles' sakes hath he spoken.' And if God has spoken for the apostles' sakes, and yet he is the creator of men and beasts, including oxen and sparrows, reptiles and insects, fish and the rest—then he is concerned for all, each in its own proportion. (e) And he is taking care for all when he says, 'Thou, Lord, shalt save both man and beast'; 'Who provideth for the raven his food?' 'The young of the ravens cry to the Lord, seeking their meat'; and, 'Thou shalt give to all their meat in due season.' But he did not forbid the muzzling of a threshing ox while the oxen are in the act of threshing, since this would show that God cannot feed his creature otherwise than with the fodder men provide for their cattle. (f) The holy apostle showed that it was not for lack of fodder that God provided for oxen through the thresher by forbidding him to muzzle his oxen, but by the figurative language about the apostles indicated their relation (to this). (g) For truly, God manifestly makes provision for all and is concerned for all alike. For the holy apostle was not writing in contradiction of the Saviour, to give the rabble an excuse of that sort. (h) Sparrows are less important than oxen, and of them the Saviour said, 'Five sparrows are sold for two farthings,'189 and again, 'Are not two sparrows sold for one farthing?'190 Therefore, if two sparrows are sold for one farthing, and one will not fall into a snare without your heavenly Father, God provides for all alike, but cares for his more important creatures by the more important mode, that of spiritual reasoning. (i) Hence there is entire agreement that the same God is Maker, Demiurge, and Law-giver in Old and New Testaments, a good God and a just, and Lord of all. Scholion 8 and 16. I have already dealt fully with this, and expounded it at length, in the preceding paragraph. Hence I consider it superfluous to speak of it again, and am content with what has been said.
Adamantius Dialogue 1.6.
Adamantius Dialogue 1.22.
Peter Kirby remarks concerning 1 Corinthians 9.20a: The Greek manuscript p46 omits “and unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that,” and it is not explicitly attested as belonging to Marcion’s Apostolikon. However, this seems to be a clear case of homoioteleuton, since the remaining text of p46 appears to lack grammatical sense and also does not have the verb ἐγενόμην (became). I do not really believe it was absent in Marcion’s Apostolikon.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ