The Didache.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

The Didache.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (Didache)
Information

Sources: Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 1782 (late century IV); Mellicensis 597 (century IX or X); Codex Monacensis 6264 (century XI); Codex Hierosolymitanus (year 1056).
The Didache is a church order containing four references to a gospel and quite a few details that overlap with extant gospels.
Index to other gospel texts.

Text and Translation

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 1782
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 1782
Fragment 1 Recto
1 1.3 οὐχὶ καὶ τὰ ἔ-
2 θνη τοῦτο
3 ποιοῦσιν. ὑμ-
4 εῖς δὲ φιλε̣ῖ̣τ̣-
5 ε τοὺς μισοῦ-
6 <ν>τας ὑμᾶς καὶ
7 οὐχ ἕξετε ἐχ-
Fragment 1 Recto
1 1.3 Do not even
2 the gentiles
3 do this? But
4 you, love
5 those who
6 hate you, and
7 you will have no en-
Fragment 1 Verso
8 θ̣ρ̣ό̣ν. 1.4 ἀκού-
9 ε τί σ̣ε δεῖ ποι-
10 οῦντα σ̣ώσαι
11 σοῦ τὸ πν(εῦμ)α· π[ρ]ῶ-
12 τον πάντω(ν)
13 ἀπόσχου τῶν
14 σαρκε[ι]κῶν ἐ-
15 πιθυμειῶν.[/i]
Fragment 1 Verso
8 emy. 1.4 Lis-
9 ten to what you
10 must do to save
11 your sp(ir)t.
12 Fi[r]st, abstain
13 from al(l)
14 fl[e]shly de-
15 sires.
Fragment 2 Recto
16 2.7 ...ἐλέγ̣ξει̣ς, περὶ̣ ὧ̣(ν)
17 δὲ προσεύξει, οὓς
18 δὲ ἀγαπήσεις
19 ὑπὲρ τὴν ψυχήν
20 σου. [....]
21 3.1 τέκνον μου,
22 φεῦγε ἀπὸ
Fragment 2 Recto
16 2.7 ...reprove, and pray
17 concerning others, and
18 others love
19 beyond your own
20 soul. [....]
21 3.1 My child,
22 flee from
Fragment 2 Verso
23 {ἀπὸ} παντὸς
24 πράγματος
25 πονηροῦ καὶ
26 ὁμοίου αὐτοῦ.
27 3.2 μὴ γείνου ὀργεί-
28 λος· ἐπειδή ὁδη-
29 γεῖ ἡ ὀργὴ πρὸς
30 τὸν φόνον....
Fragment 2 Verso
23 {from} every
24 act of
25 evil and what
26 is like it.
27 3.2 Do not be prone
28 to wrath. since wrath
29 leads toward
30 murder....

Doctrina Apostolorum, Codex Monacensis 6264 & Codex Mellicensis 597.
ΔΙΔΑΧΑΙ ΤΩΝ ΔΩΔΕΚΑ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ, Codex Hierosolymitanus.

Notes and Quotes

Context and Textual Parallels

Didache 1-6 (the two ways).
Deuteronomy 11.26-28: 26 ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ δίδωμι ἐνώπιον ὑμῶν σήμερον εὐλογίαν καὶ κατάραν, 27 τὴν εὐλογίαν ἐὰν ἀκούσητε τὰς ἐντολὰς κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ ὑμῶν ἃς ἐγὼ ἐντέλλομαι ὑμῖν σήμερον, 28 καὶ τὰς κατάρας ἐὰν μὴ ἀκούσητε τὰς ἐντολὰς κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ ὑμῶν ὅσας ἐγὼ ἐντέλλομαι ὑμῖν σήμερον καὶ πλανηθῆτε ἀπὸ τῆς ὁδοῦ ἧς ἐνετειλάμην ὑμῖν πορευθέντες λατρεύειν θεοῖς ἑτέροις οὓς οὐκ οἴδατε. / 26 "See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse: 27 the blessing, if you listen to the commandments of the Lord your God, which I am commanding you today; 28 and the curse, if you do not listen to the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside from the way which I am commanding you today, by following other gods which you have not known."
4Q473 (the two ways fragment).
Epistle of Barnabas 18-20 (the two ways section).

Didache 1.2a (love God and neighbor).
Matthew 22.34-40 = Mark 12.28-34 = Luke 10.25-29 (the greatest commandment).

Didache 1.2b (the golden rule).
Matthew 7.12 = Luke 6.31 (the golden rule).
Thomas 6.2-3: ⲡⲉϫⲉ <ⲓⲥ> ϫⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲣ̅ϫⲉ ϭⲟⲗ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲡⲉⲧⲉⲧⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲥⲧⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϥ' ⲙ̅ⲡⲣ̅ⲁⲁϥ / λέγει Ἰη(σοῦ)ς· [μὴ ψεύδεσθε καὶ ὃτι μισ]εῖται μὴ ποιεῖτ̣[ε.] / Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate." [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]

Didache 1.3b (love your enemies, better than sinners).
Matthew 5.43-47 = Luke 6.27-28, 32-35 (love your enemies, better than sinners).
Ignatius to Polycarp 2.1: 1. Καλοὺς μαθητὰς ἐὰν φιλῇς, χάρις σοι οὐκ ἔστιν· μᾶλλον τοὺς λοιμοτέρους ἐν πραότητι ὑπότασσε. οὐ πᾶν τραῦμα τῇ αὐτῇ ἐμπλάστρῳ θεραπεύεται. τοὺς παροξυσμοὺς ἐμβροχαῖς παῦε. / If thou lovest the good disciples, no thanks are due to thee on that account; but rather seek by meekness to subdue the more troublesome. Every kind of wound is not healed with the same plaster. Mitigate violent attacks [of disease] by gentle applications.
Polycarp to the Philippians 12.3: 3 Pro omnibus sanctis orate. Orate etiam pro regibus et potestatibus et principibus atque pro persequentibus et odientibus vos et pro inimicis crucis, ut fructus vester manifestus sit in omnibus, ut sitis in illo perfecti. / 3 Pray for all the saints. Pray also for kings, and potentates, and princes, and for those that persecute and hate you, and for the enemies of the cross, that your fruit may be manifest to all, and that ye may be perfect in Him.
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 1224, fragment 2 recto, column 1: [... κ]α̣ὶ̣ π[ρ]οσεύχεσθε ὑπὲρ [τῶν ἐχθ]ρ̣ῶν ὑμῶν· ὁ γὰρ μὴ ὢν [κατὰ ὑμ]ῶ̣ν ὑπερ ὑμῶν ἐστιν. [ὁ σήμερον ὢ]ν μακράν αὔριον [ἐγγὺς ὑμῶν γ]ενήσεται, καὶ ἐν [...] τοῦ ἀντιδί[κου ...]ι̣νενων̣[....] / [... a]nd p[r]ay for your [ene]mies; For the one who is not [against y]ou is for you. [The one who today i]s far away tomorrow [w]ill be [near you,] and in [...] the advers[ary ....]
2 Clement 13.4: 4. ὅταν ἀλλὰ χάρις ὑμῖν, εἰ ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς καὶ τοὺς μισοῦντας ὑμᾶς· ταῦτα ὅταν ἀκούσωσιν, θαυμάζουσιν τὴν ὑπερβολὴν τῆς ἀγαθότητος· ὅταν δὲ ἴδωσιν, ὅτι οὐ μόνον τοὺς μισοῦντας οὐκ ἀγαπῶμεν, ἀλλ’ ὅτι οὐδὲ τοὺς ἀγαπῶντας, καταγελῶσιν ἡμῶν, καὶ βλασφημεῖται τὸ ὄνομα. / For, whenever they hear from us that God saith, "No thank have ye, if ye love them which love you, but ye have thank, if ye love your enemies and them which hate you " --whenever they hear these words, they marvel at the surpassing measure of their goodness; but when they see, that not only do we not love those who hate, but that we love not even those who love, they laugh us to scorn, and the name is blasphemed.

Didache 1.4b-5a (give without expectation).
Matthew 5.42 = Luke 6.30, 34-35 (give without expectation).
Thomas 95: 95. [ⲡⲉϫⲉ <ⲓⲥ> ϫⲉ] ⲉϣⲱⲡⲉ ⲟⲩⲛ̅ⲧⲏⲧⲛ̅ ϩⲟⲙⲧ' ⲙ̅ⲡⲣ̅ϯ ⲉⲧⲙⲏⲥⲉ ⲁⲗⲗⲁ ϯ [ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϥ] ⲙ̣̅ⲡⲉⲧ̣[ⲉ]ⲧⲛⲁϫⲓⲧⲟⲩ ⲁⲛ ⲛ̅ⲧⲟⲟⲧϥ' / 95. [Jesus said,] "If you have money, do not lend it at interest, but give [it] to one from whom you will not get it back." [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]
1 Clement 2.1: 1 Πάντες τε ἐταπεινοφρονεῖτε μηδὲν ἀλαζονευόμενοι, ὑποτασσόμενοι μᾶλλον ἢ ὑποτάσσοντες, ἥδιον διδόντες ἢ λαμβάνοντες. τοῖς ἐφοδίοις τοῦ Χριστοῦ ἀρκούμενοι, καὶ προσέχοντες τοὺς λόγους αὐτοῦ ἐπιμελῶν ἐνεστερνισμένοι ἦτε τοῖς σπλάγχνοις, καὶ τὰ παθήματα αὐτοῦ ἧν πρὸ ὀφθαλμῶν ὑμῶν. / 1 Moreover, you were all distinguished by humility, and were in no respect puffed up with pride, but yielded obedience rather than extorted it, and were more willing to give than to receive? Content with the provision which God had made for you, and carefully attending to His words, you were inwardly filled with His doctrine, and His sufferings were before your eyes.
Acts 20.35: πάντα ὑπέδειξα ὑμῖν ὅτι οὕτως κοπιῶντας δεῖ ἀντιλαμβάνεσθαι τῶν ἀσθενούντων, μνημονεύειν τε τῶν λόγων τοῦ κυρίου Ἰησοῦ ὅτι αὐτὸς εἶπεν· μακάριόν ἐστιν μᾶλλον διδόναι ἢ λαμβάνειν. / "In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
Shepherd of Hermas, Mandate 2.4: 4 ἔνδυσαι δὲ τὴν σεμνότητα, ἐν ᾗ οὐδὲν πρόσκομμά ἐστιν πονηρόν, ἀλλὰ πάντα ὁμαλὰ καὶ ἱλαρά. ἐργάζου τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ ἐκ τῶν κόπων σου ὧν ὁ θεὸς δίδωσίν σοι πᾶσιν ὑστερουμένοις δίδου ἁπλῶς, μὴ διστάζων, τίνι δῷς ἢ τίνι μὴ δῷς. πᾶσιν δίδου· πᾶσιν γάρ ὁ θεὸς δίδοσθαι θέλει ἐκ τῶν ἰδίων δωρημάτων. / 4 Put on a holiness in which there is no wicked cause of offence, but all deeds that are equable and joyful. Practise goodness; and from the rewards of your labours, which God gives you, give to all the needy in simplicity, not hesitating as to whom you are to give or not to give. Give to all, for God wishes His gifts to be shared amongst all.

Didache 1.5b (the last farthing).
Matthew 5.25-26 = Luke 12.57-59 (settle on the way).

Didache 3.7 (blessed the meek).
Matthew 5.5: μακάριοι οἱ πραεῖς, ὅτι αὐτοὶ κληρονομήσουσιν τὴν γῆν. / "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
Barnabas 19.4: 4 οὐ πορνεύσεις, οὐ μοιχεύσεις, οὐ παιδοφθορήσεις. οὐ μή σου ὁ λόγος τοῦ θεοῦ ἐξέθῃ ἐν ἀκαθαρσίᾳ τινῶν. οὐ λήμωψῃ πρόσωπον ἐλέγξαι τινὰ ἐπὶ παραπτώματι. ἔσῃ πραΰς, ἔσῃ ἡσύχιος, ἔσῃ τρέμων τοὺς λόγους οὓς ἤκουσας, οὐ μνησικακήσεις τῷ ἀδελφῷ σου. / Thou shalt not commit fornication: thou shalt not commit adultery: thou shalt not be a corrupter of youth. Thou shalt not let the word of God issue from thy lips with any kind of impurity. Thou shalt not accept persons when thou reprovest any one for transgression. Thou shalt be meek: thou shalt be peaceable. Thou shalt tremble at the words which thou hearest. Thou shalt not be mindful of evil against thy brother.

Didache 7 (baptism).
Matthew 28.16-20: Οἱ δὲ ἕνδεκα μαθηταὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς τὴν Γαλιλαίαν εἰς τὸ ὄρος οὗ ἐτάξατο αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς, 17 καὶ ἰδόντες αὐτὸν προσεκύνησαν, οἱ δὲ ἐδίστασαν. 18 καὶ προσελθὼν ὁ Ἰησοῦς ἐλάλησεν αὐτοῖς λέγων· ἐδόθη μοι πᾶσα ἐξουσία ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ [τῆς] γῆς. 19 πορευθέντες οὖν μαθητεύσατε πάντα τὰ ἔθνη, βαπτίζοντες αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ πατρὸς καὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος, 20 διδάσκοντες αὐτοὺς τηρεῖν πάντα ὅσα ἐνετειλάμην ὑμῖν· καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ μεθ᾽ ὑμῶν εἰμι πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας ἕως τῆς συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος. / But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17 And when they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Didache 8 (prayer and fasting).
Matthew 6.9-13 = Luke 11.1-4 (the paternoster).
Matthew 6.5-6: 5 Καὶ ὅταν προσεύχησθε, οὐκ ἔσεσθε ὡς οἱ ὑποκριταί, ὅτι φιλοῦσιν ἐν ταῖς συναγωγαῖς καὶ ἐν ταῖς γωνίαις τῶν πλατειῶν ἑστῶτες προσεύχεσθαι, ὅπως φανῶσιν τοῖς ἀνθρώποις· ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀπέχουσιν τὸν μισθὸν αὐτῶν. 6 σὺ δὲ ὅταν προσεύχῃ, εἴσελθε εἰς τὸ ταμεῖόν σου καὶ κλείσας τὴν θύραν σου πρόσευξαι τῷ πατρί σου τῷ ἐν τῷ κρυπτῷ· καὶ ὁ πατήρ σου ὁ βλέπων ἐν τῷ κρυπτῷ ἀποδώσει σοι. / 5 And when you pray, you are not to be as the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners, in order to be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will repay you."
Matthew 6.16-18: 16 Ὅταν δὲ νηστεύητε, μὴ γίνεσθε ὡς οἱ ὑποκριταὶ σκυθρωποί, ἀφανίζουσιν γὰρ τὰ πρόσωπα αὐτῶν ὅπως φανῶσιν τοῖς ἀνθρώποις νηστεύοντες· ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀπέχουσιν τὸν μισθὸν αὐτῶν. 17 σὺ δὲ νηστεύων ἄλειψαί σου τὴν κεφαλὴν καὶ τὸ πρόσωπόν σου νίψαι, 18 ὅπως μὴ φανῇς τοῖς ἀνθρώποις νηστεύων ἀλλὰ τῷ πατρί σου τῷ ἐν τῷ κρυφαίῳ· καὶ ὁ πατήρ σου ὁ βλέπων ἐν τῷ κρυφαίῳ ἀποδώσει σοι. / 16 "And whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance in order to be seen fasting by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face 18 so that you may not be seen fasting by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will repay you."
Polycarp to the Philippians 7.2: 2 διὸ ἀπολιπόντες τὴν ματαιότητα τῶν πολλῶν καὶ τὰς ψευδοδιδασκαλίας ἐπὶ τὸν ἐξ ἀρχῆς ἡμῖν παραδοθέντα λόγον ἐπιστρέψωμεν, νήφοντες πρὸς τὰς εὐχὰς καὶ προσκαρτεροῦντες νηστείας, δεήσεσιν αἰτούμενοι τὸν παντεπόπτην θεὸν μὴ εἰσενεγκεῖν ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, καθὼς εἶπεν ὁ κύριος· Τὸ μὲν πνεῦμα πρόθυμον, ἡ δὲ σὰρξ ἀσθενής. / 2 Wherefore, forsaking the vanity of many, and their false doctrines, let us return to the word which has been handed down to us from the beginning; "watching unto prayer," and persevering in fasting; beseeching in our supplications the all-seeing God "not to lead us into temptation," as the Lord has said: "The spirit truly is willing, but the flesh is weak."
Jerome, On Matthew 1, commentary on Matthew 6.11: In evangelio quod appellatur secundum Hebraeos, pro supersubstantiali pane reperi «mahar» (מהר), quod dicitur «crastinum», ut sit sensus: «panem nostrum crastinum», id est, «futurum da nobis hodie». / In the gospel which is named according to the Hebrews, instead of supersubstantial bread I found "mahar" (מהר), which means "of tomorrow," so that the sense would be: "our bread for tomorrow," that is, "the future give us this day."
Jerome, commentary on Psalm 135: In Hebraico evangelio secundum Matthaeum ita habet: Panem nostrum crastinum da nobis hodie, hoc est, panem quem daturus es in regno tuo da nobis hodie. / In the Hebraic gospel according to Matthew it has thus: Our bread for tomorrow give us this day, that is, the bread which you will give in your kingdom give us today. Refer also to Sedulius Scottus, Commentary on Matthew: In evangelio quod appellatur secundum Ebreos, pro supersubstantiali pane moar repperi, quod dicitur crastinum. / In the gospel which is called "according to the Hebrews," I found moar, which means "for tomorrow," instead of supersubstantial bread.

Didache 9-10 (eucharist).
1 Corinthians 10.14-22: Διόπερ, ἀγαπητοί μου, φεύγετε ἀπὸ τῆς εἰδωλολατρίας. ὡς φρονίμοις λέγω· κρίνατε ὑμεῖς ὅ φημι. Τὸ ποτήριον τῆς εὐλογίας ὃ εὐλογοῦμεν, οὐχὶ κοινωνία ἐστὶν τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ Χριστοῦ; τὸν ἄρτον ὃν κλῶμεν, οὐχὶ κοινωνία τοῦ σώματος τοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐστιν; ὅτι εἷς ἄρτος, ἓν σῶμα οἱ πολλοί ἐσμεν, οἱ γὰρ πάντες ἐκ τοῦ ἑνὸς ἄρτου μετέχομεν. βλέπετε τὸν Ἰσραὴλ κατὰ σάρκα· οὐχ οἱ ἐσθίοντες τὰς θυσίας κοινωνοὶ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου εἰσίν; Τί οὖν φημι; ὅτι εἰδωλόθυτόν τί ἐστιν ἢ ὅτι εἴδωλόν τί ἐστιν; ἀλλ᾿ ὅτι ἃ θύουσιν, δαιμονίοις καὶ οὐ θεῷ [θύουσιν]· οὐ θέλω δὲ ὑμᾶς κοινωνοὺς τῶν δαιμονίων γίνεσθαι. οὐ δύνασθε ποτήριον κυρίου πίνειν καὶ ποτήριον δαιμονίων, οὐ δύνασθε τραπέζης κυρίου μετέχειν καὶ τραπέζης δαιμονίων. ἢ παραζηλοῦμεν τὸν κύριον; μὴ ἰσχυρότεροι αὐτοῦ ἐσμεν; / 14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from the worship of idols. 15 I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? 17 Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. 18 Consider the people of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar? 19 What do I imply then? That food sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 22 Or are we provoking the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
1 Corinthians 11.23-25: Ἐγὼ γὰρ παρέλαβον ἀπὸ τοῦ κυρίου, ὃ καὶ παρέδωκα ὑμῖν, ὅτι ὁ κύριος Ἰησοῦς ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ ᾗ παρεδίδετο ἔλαβεν ἄρτον καὶ εὐχαριστήσας ἔκλασεν καὶ εἶπεν· τοῦτό μού ἐστιν τὸ σῶμα τὸ ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν· τοῦτο ποιεῖτε εἰς τὴν ἐμὴν ἀνάμνησιν. ὡσαύτως καὶ τὸ ποτήριον μετὰ τὸ δειπνῆσαι λέγων· τοῦτο τὸ ποτήριον ἡ καινὴ διαθήκη ἐστὶν ἐν τῷ ἐμῷ αἵματι· τοῦτο ποιεῖτε, ὁσάκις ἐὰν πίνητε, εἰς τὴν ἐμὴν ἀνάμνησιν. / 23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
Matthew 26.26-29 = Mark 14.22-25 = Luke 22.15-20 (bread and cup, or the last supper).
John 6.51-58: 51 ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος ὁ ζῶν ὁ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καταβάς· ἐάν τις φάγῃ ἐκ τούτου τοῦ ἄρτου ζήσει εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα· καὶ ὁ ἄρτος δὲ ὃν ἐγὼ δώσω ἡ σάρξ μού ἐστιν ὑπὲρ τῆς τοῦ κόσμου ζωῆς. 52 ἐμάχοντο οὖν πρὸς ἀλλήλους οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι, λέγοντες· Πῶς δύναται οὗτος ἡμῖν δοῦναι τὴν σάρκα αὐτοῦ φαγεῖν; 53 εἶπεν οὖν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Ἀμὴν, ἀμὴν, λέγω ὑμῖν, ἐὰν μὴ φάγητε τὴν σάρκα τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου καὶ πίητε αὐτοῦ τὸ αἷμα, οὐκ ἔχετε ζωὴν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς. 54 ὁ τρώγων μου τὴν σάρκα καὶ πίνων μου τὸ αἷμα ἔχει ζωὴν αἰώνιον, κἀγὼ ἀναστήσω αὐτὸν τῇ ἐσχάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ· 55 ἡ γὰρ σάρξ μου ἀληθής ἐστιν βρῶσις, καὶ τὸ αἷμά μου ἀληθής ἐστιν πόσις. 56 ὁ τρώγων μου τὴν σάρκα καὶ πίνων μου τὸ αἷμα ἐν ἐμοὶ μένει κἀγὼ ἐν αὐτῷ. 57 καθὼς ἀπέστειλέν με ὁ ζῶν πατὴρ κἀγὼ ζῶ διὰ τὸν πατέρα, καὶ ὁ τρώγων με κἀκεῖνος ζήσει δι᾿ ἐμέ. 58 οὗτός ἐστιν ὁ ἄρτος ὁ ἐξ οὐρανοῦ καταβάς, οὐ καθὼς ἔφαγον οἱ πατέρες καὶ ἀπέθανον· ὁ τρώγων τοῦτον τὸν ἄρτον ζήσει εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα. / 51 I am the living bread that descended out of heaven. If anyone eats from this bread, he will live unto the age. And indeed the bread which I shall give on behalf of the life of the world is my flesh. 52 The Jews therefore were arguing with each other, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53 Jesus therefore said to them: Amen, amen, I say to you, if you do not eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, you do not have life in yourselves. 54 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has life eternal, and I shall resurrect him at the last day. 55 For my flesh truly is food, and my blood truly is drink. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. 57 Just as the living father sent me and I live on account of the father, also he who eats me, that man also will live on account of me. 58 This is the bread that descended from heaven, not just as the fathers ate and died. He who eats this bread will live unto the age.

Didache 11.3-6; 13.1-2 (apostles, prophets, and teachers).
1 Corinthians 9.14: 14 οὕτως καὶ ὁ κύριος διέταξεν τοῖς τὸ εὐαγγέλιον καταγγέλλουσιν ἐκ τοῦ εὐαγγελίου ζῆν. / So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel.
1 Corinthians 10.27: 27 εἴ τις καλεῖ ὑμᾶς τῶν ἀπίστων καὶ θέλετε πορεύεσθαι, πᾶν τὸ παρατιθέμενον ὑμῖν ἐσθίετε μηδὲν ἀνακρίνοντες διὰ τὴν συνείδησιν. / If one of the unbelievers invites you, and you wish to go, eat anything that is set before you, without asking questions for conscience ' sake.
Thomas 14: 14. ⲡⲉϫⲉ <ⲓⲥ> ⲛⲁⲩ ϫⲉ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ϣⲁⲛⲣ̅ⲛⲏⲥⲧⲉⲩⲉ ⲧⲉⲧⲛⲁϫⲡⲟ ⲛ̅ⲏⲧⲛ̅ ⲛ̅ⲛⲟⲩⲛⲟⲃⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ϣⲁⲛϣⲗⲏⲗ' ⲥⲉⲛⲁⲣ̅ⲕⲁⲧⲁⲕⲣⲓⲛⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ϣⲁⲛϯ ⲉⲗⲉⲏⲙⲟⲥⲩⲛⲏ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛⲁⲉⲓⲣⲉ ⲛ̅ⲟⲩⲕⲁⲕⲟⲛ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉⲧⲙ̅<ⲡⲛⲁ> ⲁⲩⲱ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ϣⲁⲛⲃⲱⲕ' ⲉϩⲟⲩⲛ ⲉⲕⲁϩ ⲛⲓⲙ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲧⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲟϣⲉ ϩⲛ̅ ⲛ̅ⲭⲱⲣⲁ ⲉⲩϣⲁⲣ̅ⲡⲁⲣⲁⲇⲉⲭⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲡⲉⲧⲟⲩⲛⲁⲕⲁⲁϥ ϩⲁⲣⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲟⲩⲟⲙϥ̅ ⲛⲉⲧϣⲱⲛⲉ ⲛ̅ϩⲏⲧⲟⲩ ⲉⲣⲓⲑⲉⲣⲁⲡⲉⲩⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲟⲩ ⲡⲉⲧⲛⲁⲃⲱⲕ ⲅⲁⲣ' ⲉϩⲟⲩⲛ ϩⲛ̅ ⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲁⲡⲣⲟ ϥⲛⲁϫⲱϩⲙ̅ ⲧⲏⲩⲧⲛ̅ ⲁⲛ' ⲁⲗⲗⲁ ⲡⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲛⲏⲩ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ' ϩⲛ̅ ⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲁⲡⲣⲟ ⲛ̅ⲧⲟϥ ⲡⲉⲧⲛⲁϫⲁϩⲙ̅ ⲧⲏⲩⲧⲛ̅ / 14. Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves; and if you pray, you will be condemned; and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits. When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you." [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]
Matthew 10.1, 5-16 = Mark 6.7-13 = Luke 9.1-6 (mission of the twelve).
Luke 10.1-12 (mission of the seventy).
Matthew 18.1-5 = Mark 9.33-37 = Luke 9.46-48; Matthew 10.40-42 = Luke 10.16 (receiving the sender).
John 5.23b: ὁ μὴ τιμῶν τὸν υἱὸν οὐ τιμᾷ τὸν πατέρα τὸν πέμψαντα αὐτόν. / He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
John 12.44-50: 44 Ἰησοῦς δὲ ἔκραξεν καὶ εἶπεν· Ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ οὐ πιστεύει εἰς ἐμὲ ἀλλὰ εἰς τὸν πέμψαντά με, 45 καὶ ὁ θεωρῶν ἐμὲ θεωρεῖ τὸν πέμψαντά με. 46 ἐγὼ φῶς εἰς τὸν κόσμον ἐλήλυθα, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ μὴ μείνῃ. 47 καὶ ἐάν τίς μου ἀκούσῃ τῶν ῥημάτων καὶ μὴ φυλάξῃ, ἐγὼ οὐ κρίνω αὐτόν, οὐ γὰρ ἦλθον ἵνα κρίνω τὸν κόσμον ἀλλ᾿ ἵνα σώσω τὸν κόσμον. 48 ὁ ἀθετῶν ἐμὲ καὶ μὴ λαμβάνων τὰ ῥήματά μου ἔχει τὸν κρίνοντα αὐτόν· ὁ λόγος ὃν ἐλάλησα ἐκεῖνος κρινεῖ αὐτὸν ἐν τῇ ἐσχάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ, 49 ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐξ ἐμαυτοῦ οὐκ ἐλάλησα, ἀλλ᾿ ὁ πέμψας με πατὴρ αὐτός μοι ἐντολὴν δέδωκεν τί εἴπω καὶ τί λαλήσω. 50 καὶ οἶδα ὅτι ἡ ἐντολὴ αὐτοῦ ζωὴ αἰώνιός ἐστιν. ἃ οὖν ἐγὼ λαλῶ, καθὼς εἴρηκέν μοι ὁ πατήρ, οὕτως λαλῶ. / 44 But Jesus shouted and said: He who puts faith in me puts faith not in me but rather in the one who sent me, 45 and he who looks on me looks on the one who sent me. 46 I have come as a light into the world, so that everyone who puts faith in me might not remain in the darkness. 47 And, if anyone listens to my words and does not guard them, I do not judge him, for I came not in order to judge the world but rather in order to save the world. 48 He who rejects me and does not accept my words has one who judges him; the word which I spoke, that is what judges him on the last day, 49 since I did not speak from my own, but rather the one who sent me, the father himself, has given me a commandment on what I should say and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things that I speak, therefore, I speak thus, just as the father has told me.
John 13.20: 20 Ἀμὴν, ἀμὴν, λέγω ὑμῖν, ὁ λαμβάνων ἄν τινα πέμψω ἐμὲ λαμβάνει, ὁ δὲ ἐμὲ λαμβάνων λαμβάνει τὸν πέμψαντά με. / 20 Amen, amen, I say to you, he who accepts whoever I send accepts me, but he who accepts me accepts the one who sent me.
1 Timothy 5.18: λέγει γὰρ ἡ γραφή· βοῦν ἀλοῶντα οὐ φιμώσεις, καί· ἄξιος ὁ ἐργάτης τοῦ μισθοῦ αὐτοῦ. / For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages."
Ignatius to the Ephesians 6.1: 1. Καὶ ὅσον βλέπει τις σιγῶντα ἐπίσκοπον, πλειόνως αὐτὸν φοβείσθω· πάντα γάρ, ὃν πέμπει ὁ οἰκοδεσπότης εἰς ἰδίαν οἰκονομίαν, οὕτως δεῖ ἡμᾶς αὐτὸν δέχεχθαι, ὡς αὐτὸν τὸν πέμψαντα. τὸν οὖν ἐπίσκοπον δῆλον ὅτι ὡς αὐτὸν κύριον δεῖ προσβλέπειν. / Now the more any one sees the bishop keeping silence, the more ought he to revere him. For we ought to receive every one whom the Master of the house sends to be over His household, as we would do Him that sent him.
Dialogue of the Savior 53b: Mary said, "Thus with respect to 'the wickedness of each day,' and 'the laborer is worthy of his food,' and 'the disciple resembles his teacher.'" She uttered this as a woman who had understood completely.

Didache 11.7 (the unforgivable sin).
Matthew 12.31-32 = Mark 3.28-30 = Luke 12.10 (sin against the spirit).
Thomas 44: 44. ⲡⲉϫⲉ <ⲓⲥ> ϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲁϫⲉ ⲟⲩⲁ ⲁⲡⲉⲓⲱⲧ' ⲥⲉⲛⲁⲕⲱ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲛⲁϥ' ⲁⲩⲱ ⲡⲉⲧⲁϫⲉ ⲟⲩⲁ ⲉⲡϣⲏⲣⲉ ⲥⲉⲛⲁⲕⲱ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲛⲁϥ' ⲡⲉⲧⲁϫⲉ ⲟⲩⲁ ⲇⲉ ⲁⲡ<ⲡⲛⲁ> ⲉⲧⲟⲩⲁⲁⲃ ⲥⲉⲛⲁⲕⲱ ⲁⲛ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲛⲁϥ' ⲟⲩⲧⲉ ϩⲙ̅ ⲡⲕⲁϩ ⲟⲩⲧⲉ ϩⲛ̅ ⲧⲡⲉ / 44. Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the Son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven either on earth or in heaven." [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]

Didache 14.2 (prayer and forgiveness).
Matthew 5.23-24: 23 ἐὰν οὖν προσφέρῃς τὸ δῶρόν σου ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον κἀκεῖ μνησθῇς ὅτι ὁ ἀδελφός σου ἔχει τι κατὰ σοῦ, 24 ἄφες ἐκεῖ τὸ δῶρόν σου ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου καὶ ὕπαγε πρῶτον διαλλάγηθι τῷ ἀδελφῷ σου, καὶ τότε ἐλθὼν πρόσφερε τὸ δῶρόν σου. / 23 "If therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering."

Didache 16 (eschatological material).
1 Thessalonians 4.13-5.11: 4.13 Οὐ θέλομεν δὲ ὑμᾶς ἀγνοεῖν, ἀδελφοί, περὶ τῶν κοιμωμένων, ἵνα μὴ λυπῆσθε καθὼς καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ οἱ μὴ ἔχοντες ἐλπίδα. 14 εἰ γὰρ πιστεύομεν ὅτι Ἰησοῦς ἀπέθανεν καὶ ἀνέστη, οὕτως καὶ ὁ θεὸς τοὺς κοιμηθέντας διὰ τοῦ Ἰησοῦ ἄξει σὺν αὐτῷ. 15 Τοῦτο γὰρ ὑμῖν λέγομεν ἐν λόγῳ κυρίου, ὅτι ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι εἰς τὴν παρουσίαν τοῦ κυρίου οὐ μὴ φθάσωμεν τοὺς κοιμηθέντας· 16 ὅτι αὐτὸς ὁ κύριος ἐν κελεύσματι, ἐν φωνῇ ἀρχαγγέλου καὶ ἐν σάλπιγγι θεοῦ, καταβήσεται ἀπ᾽ οὐρανοῦ καὶ οἱ νεκροὶ ἐν Χριστῷ ἀναστήσονται πρῶτον, 17 ἔπειτα ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι ἅμα σὺν αὐτοῖς ἁρπαγησόμεθα ἐν νεφέλαις εἰς ἀπάντησιν τοῦ κυρίου εἰς ἀέρα· καὶ οὕτως πάντοτε σὺν κυρίῳ ἐσόμεθα. 18 Ὥστε παρακαλεῖτε ἀλλήλους ἐν τοῖς λόγοις τούτοις. 5.Περὶ δὲ τῶν χρόνων καὶ τῶν καιρῶν, ἀδελφοί, οὐ χρείαν ἔχετε ὑμῖν γράφεσθαι, 2 αὐτοὶ γὰρ ἀκριβῶς οἴδατε ὅτι ἡμέρα κυρίου ὡς κλέπτης ἐν νυκτὶ οὕτως ἔρχεται. 3 ὅταν λέγωσιν· εἰρήνη καὶ ἀσφάλεια, τότε αἰφνίδιος αὐτοῖς ἐφίσταται ὄλεθρος ὥσπερ ἡ ὠδὶν τῇ ἐν γαστρὶ ἐχούσῃ, καὶ οὐ μὴ ἐκφύγωσιν. 4 ὑμεῖς δέ, ἀδελφοί, οὐκ ἐστὲ ἐν σκότει, ἵνα ἡ ἡμέρα ὑμᾶς ὡς κλέπτης καταλάβῃ· 5 πάντες γὰρ ὑμεῖς υἱοὶ φωτός ἐστε καὶ υἱοὶ ἡμέρας. Οὐκ ἐσμὲν νυκτὸς οὐδὲ σκότους· 6 ἄρα οὖν μὴ καθεύδωμεν ὡς οἱ λοιποί ἀλλὰ γρηγορῶμεν καὶ νήφωμεν. 7 Οἱ γὰρ καθεύδοντες νυκτὸς καθεύδουσιν καὶ οἱ μεθυσκόμενοι νυκτὸς μεθύουσιν· 8 ἡμεῖς δὲ ἡμέρας ὄντες νήφωμεν ἐνδυσάμενοι θώρακα πίστεως καὶ ἀγάπης καὶ περικεφαλαίαν ἐλπίδα σωτηρίας· 9 ὅτι οὐκ ἔθετο ἡμᾶς ὁ θεὸς εἰς ὀργὴν ἀλλὰ εἰς περιποίησιν σωτηρίας διὰ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ 10 τοῦ ἀποθανόντος ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν, ἵνα εἴτε γρηγορῶμεν εἴτε καθεύδωμεν ἅμα σὺν αὐτῷ ζήσωμεν. 11 Διὸ παρακαλεῖτε ἀλλήλους καὶ οἰκοδομεῖτε εἷς τὸν ἕνα, καθὼς καὶ ποιεῖτε. / 4.13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve, as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, and remain until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words. 5.1 Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of anything to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night. 3 While they are saying, "Peace and safety!" then destruction will come upon them suddenly like birth pangs upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day should overtake you like a thief; 5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness; 6 so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober. 7 For those who sleep do their sleeping at night, and those who get drunk get drunk at night. 8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with Him. 11 Therefore encourage one another, and build up one another, just as you also are doing.
Revelation 1.7: 7 Ἰδοὺ ἔρχεται μετὰ τῶν νεφελῶν, καὶ ὄψεται αὐτὸν πᾶς ὀφθαλμὸς καὶ οἵτινες αὐτὸν ἐξεκέντησαν, καὶ κόψονται ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸν πᾶσαι αἱ φυλαὶ τῆς γῆς. ναί, ἀμήν. / 7 Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. Even so. Amen.
Revelation 14.14: 14 Καὶ εἶδον, καὶ ἰδοὺ νεφέλη λευκή, καὶ ἐπὶ τὴν νεφέλην καθήμενον ὅμοιον υἱὸν ἀνθρώπου, ἔχων ἐπὶ τῆς κεφαλῆς αὐτοῦ στέφανον χρυσοῦν καὶ ἐν τῇ χειρὶ αὐτοῦ δρέπανον ὀξύ. / 14 And I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and sitting on the cloud was one like a son of man, having a golden crown on His head, and a sharp sickle in His hand.
Matthew 24.1-25.46 = Mark 13.1-37 = Luke 21.5-36 (Olivet discourse).
Luke 12.35-38: 35 Ἔστωσαν ὑμῶν αἱ ὀσφύες περιεζωσμέναι καὶ οἱ λύχνοι καιόμενοι· 36 καὶ ὑμεῖς ὅμοιοι ἀνθρώποις προσδεχομένοις τὸν κύριον ἑαυτῶν πότε ἀναλύσῃ ἐκ τῶν γάμων, ἵνα ἐλθόντος καὶ κρούσαντος εὐθέως ἀνοίξωσιν αὐτῷ. 37 μακάριοι οἱ δοῦλοι ἐκεῖνοι, οὓς ἐλθὼν ὁ κύριος εὑρήσει γρηγοροῦντας· ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι περιζώσεται καὶ ἀνακλινεῖ αὐτοὺς καὶ παρελθὼν διακονήσει αὐτοῖς. 38 κἂν ἐν τῇ δευτέρᾳ κἂν ἐν τῇ τρίτῃ φυλακῇ ἔλθῃ καὶ εὕρῃ οὕτως, μακάριοί εἰσιν ἐκεῖνοι. / 35 "Be dressed in readiness, and keep your lamps alight. 36 And be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks. 37 Blessed are those slaves whom the master shall find on the alert when he comes; truly I say to you, that he will gird himself to serve, and have them recline at the table, and will come up and wait on them. 38 Whether he comes in the second watch, or even in the third, and finds them so, blessed are those slaves."
Barnabas 4.9: 9 πολλὰ δὲ θέλων γράφειν, οὐχ ὡς διδάσκαλος, ἀλλ’ ὡς πρέπει ἀγαπῶντι ἀφ’ ὧν ἔχομεν μὴ ἐλλείπειν, γράφειν ἐσπούδασα, περίψημα ὑμῶν. διὸ προσέχωμεν ἐν ταῖς ἐσχάταις ἡμέραις· οὐδὲν γὰρ ὠφελήσει ἡμᾶς ὁ πᾶς χρόνος τῆς πίστεως ἡμῶν, ἐὰν μὴ νῦν ἐν τῷ ἀνόμῳ καιρῷ καὶ τοῖς μέλλουσιν σκανδάλοις, ὡς πρέπει υἱοῖς θεοῦ, ἀντιστῶμεν, ἵνα μὴ σχῇ παρείσδυσιν ὁ μέλας. / 9 Now, being desirous to write many things to you, not as your teacher, but as becometh one who loves you, I have taken care not to fail to write to you from what I myself possess, with a view to your purification. We take earnest heed in these last days; for the whole [past] time of your faith will profit you nothing, unless now in this wicked time we also withstand coming sources of danger, as becometh the sons of God, that the Black One may find no means of entrance.

Attestation

Clement of Alexandria, Miscellanies 1.20: ἔμπαλιν οὖν ἀδικεῖ ὁ σφετερισάμενος τὰ βαρβάρων καὶ ὡς ἴδια αὐχῶν, τὴν ἑαυτοῦ δόξαν αὔξων καὶ ψευδόμενος τὴν ἀλήθειαν. οὗτος «κλέπτης» ὑπὸ τῆς γραφῆς εἴρηται. φησὶ γοῦν· «υἱέ, μὴ γίνου ψεύστης· ὁδηγεῖ γὰρ τὸ ψεῦσμα πρὸς τὴν κλοπήν.» / Again, therefore, the one who has adopted the things of the barbarians, and vaunts them as his own, does unjustly, and has falsified the truth. This man is said to be a thief by the scripture. It says therefore: Son, do not become false; for falsehood is the road to thievery. [Refer to Didache 3.5.]
Clement of Alexandria, Miscellanies 7.12: οἶδεν αὐτὸς καὶ τῆς νηστείας τὰ αἰνίγματα τῶν ἡμερῶν τούτων, τῆς τετράδος καὶ τῆς παρασκευῆς λέγω. ἐπιφημίζονται γὰρ ἣ μὲν Ἑρμοῦ, ἣ δὲ Ἀφροδίτης. .... οὗτος ἐντολὴν τὴν κατὰ τὸ εὐαγγέλιον διαπραξάμενος κυριακὴν ἐκείνην τὴν ἡμέραν ποιεῖ, ὅταν ἀποβάλλῃ φαῦλον νόημα καὶ γνωστικὸν προσλάβῃ, τὴν ἐν αὑτῷ τοῦ κυρίου ἀνάστασιν δοξάζων. / [The gnostic] himself knows also the enigmas of the fasting of those days, I mean the fourth [day] and the [day of] preparation. For the one is so called from Hermes, but the other from Aphrodite. .... This man, practicing the commandment according to the gospel, keeps that lordly day whenever he should cast away the wrong mindset and takes hold of the gnostic [mindset], glorifying the resurrection of the Lord within himself. [The fourth day is Wednesday; the day of preparation is Friday. The lordly day is evidently the first day of the week, or Sunday, the Christian day of worship. Refer to Didache 8.1; 13.7; 14.1.]
Clement of Alexandria, Salvation of the Rich Man 29: οὗτος <ὁ> τὸν οἶνον, τὸ αἷμα τῆς ἀμπέλου τῆς Δαβίδ, ἐκχέας ἡμῶν ἐπὶ τὰς τετρωμένας ψυχάς. / This is the one who has poured out the wine, the blood of the vine of David, upon our wounded souls. [Refer to Didache 9.2.]
Origen, On First Things 3.2.7: Propterea docet nos Scriptura divina omnia quae accidunt nobis tanquam a Deo illata suscipere, scientes quod sine Deo nihil fit. / And therefore holy Scripture teaches us to receive all that happens as sent by God, knowing that without Him no event occurs.
Proceedings Before Zenophilus, circa 320: Quae sit charitas iuxta omnes collegas; certus sum, peculiariter tamen secundum Dei voluntatem, qui dixit: Quosdam diligo super animam meam, Silvanum te coluisse. / How great is your charity according to the witness of all your colleagues, I know very well but that you have had a special friendship with Silvanus, according to the will of God, who has said, "Some I love above my soul." [Refer to Didache 2.7].
Optatus, Against Parmenianus the Donatist 7.1.21: Denique inter cetera praecepta etiam haec tria iussio divina prohibuit: non occides, non ibis post deos alienos, et in capitibus mandatorum, non facies scisma. / Finally, among other precepts, the divine command prohibited these three also: you shall not kill, you shall not go after alien gods, and in the Chapters of Mandates, you shall not make a schism. [Refer to Didache 4.3.]
Epistle of Pseudo-Titus 262-263: ...praeconante prudencia gesta futura hoc est quod mandat semper dicens: Fuge, filiole, omnem malum et ab omne simile illi. / ...while prudence endeavors beforehand things that will be done, this is what it always commands, saying, "Flee, young son, every evil one and away from everyone like him." [Refer to Didache 3.1.]
Eusebius, History of the Church 3.25.4: 4 Among the rejected writings must be reckoned also the Acts of Paul, and the so called Shepherd, and the Apocalypse of Peter, and in addition to these the extant epistle of Barnabas and the so called Teachings of the Apostles; and besides, as I said, the Apocalypse of John, if it seem proper, which some, as I said, reject, but which others class with the accepted books. / 4 ἐν τοῖς νόθοις κατατετάχθω καὶ τῶν Παύλου Πράξεων ἡ γραφὴ ὅ τε λεγόμενος Ποιμὴν καὶ ἡ Ἀποκάλυψις Πέτρου καὶ πρὸς τούτοις ἡ φερομένη Βαρναβᾶ ἐπιστολὴ καὶ τῶν ἀποστόλων αἱ λεγόμεναι Διδαχαὶ ἔτι τε, ὡς ἔφην, ἡ Ἰωάννου Ἀποκάλυψις, εἰ φανείη· ἥν τινες, ὡς ἔφην, ἀθετοῦσιν, ἕτεροι δὲ ἐγκρίνουσιν τοῖς ὁμολογουμένοις.
Apostolic Constitutions, Book VII.
Pseudo-Boniface, Renunciation (sermon XV).

Works Consulted and Links

B. P. Grenfell and A. S. Hunt, The Oxyrhynchus Papyri.
Philip Schaff, The Oldest Church Manual Called the Teaching of the Twelve Apostles.
Huub van de Sandt and David Flusser, The Didache.
Alan Garrow, The Gospel of Matthew's Dependence on the Didache.
John Dominic Crossan, The Historical Jesus.
David Robert Palmer, The Teaching of the Apostles.
Kata Pi, The Didache.
Boniface, English translation of the Renunciation (Sermon XV).
Florentino García Martínez, The Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition.
Early Christian Writings: The Didache.
TextExcavation: The Didache.
Biblical Criticism & History Forum: Other Gospel Texts.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:41 am, edited 10 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Re: The Didache.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

De Doctrina Apostolorum, Codex Monacensis 6264 I-II
(Versified According to the Didache)
Doctrina Apostolorum, Codex Mellicensis 597 I-II
I
1 Viae duae sunt in saeculo, vitae et mortis, lucis et tenebrarum. In his constituti sunt angeli duo, unus aequitatis, alter iniquitatis. Distantia autem magna est duarum viarum.
2 Via ergo vitae haec est : Primo diliges Deum aeternum, qui te fecit. Secundo proximum tuum, ut te ipsum. Omne autem, quod tibi fieri non vis, alii ne feceris.
3 Interpretatio autem horum verborum haec est:
4 -
5 -
6 -
I
1 Viæ duæ sunt in seculo, vitæ et mortis, lucis et tenebrarum. In his constituti sunt Angeli duo, unus æquitatis, alter iniquitatis. Distantia autem magna est duarum viarum.
2 Via ergo vitæ hæc est: Primo dileges Deum æternum, qui te fecit. Secundo proximum tuum, ut te ipsum. Omne autem, quod tibi non vis fieri, alii ne feceris.
3 Interpretatio autem horum verborum hæc est:
4 -
5 -
6 -
II
1 -
2 Non moechaberis, non homicidium facies, non falsum testimonium dices, non puerum violaberis, non fornicaberis, non magica facies, non medicamenta mala facies, non occides filium in avortum, nec natum succides, non concupisces quicquam de re proximi tui.
3 Non peiurabis, non male loqueris, non eris memor malorum factorum.
4 Nec eris duplex in consilium dandum, neque bilinguis, tendiculum enim mortis est lingua.
5 Non erit verbum tuum vacuum nec mendax.
6 Non eris cupidus, nec avarus, nec rapax, nec adolator, nec contentiosus, nec malemoris. Non accipies consilium malum adversus proximum tuum.
7 Neminem hominum oderis, quosdam amabis super animam tuam.
II
1 -
2 Non mæchaberis, non homicidium facies, non falsum testimonium dices, no puerum violaveris, non fornicaveris, non mag<ica> facies, non medicamenta mala facies, non occides filium in abortum, nec natum succides, non concupisces quidquam de re proximi tui.
3 Non periurabis. Non male loqueris. Non eris memor malorum factorum.
4 Non eris duplex in consilium dandum, neque bilinguis, tendiculum enim mortis est lingua.
5 Non erit verbum tuum vacum nec mendax.
6 Non eris cupidus nec avarus, nec rapax, nec adolator, nec conten[tiosus ....]

~ Cætera in Codice desiterantar. ["The rest in the codex is lacking."]

De Doctrina Apostolorum, Codex Monacensis 6264 III-VI
III
1 Fili, fuge ab homine malo et homine simulatore.
2 Noli fieri iracundus, quia iracundia ducit ad homicidium, nec appetens eris malitiae nec animosus, de his enim omnibus ir<a>e nascuntur.
3 -
4 Noli esse mathematicus neque delustrator, quae res ducunt ad vanam superstitionem; nec velis ea videre nec audire.
5 Noli fieri mendax, quia mendacium ducit ad furtum; neque amator pecuiae, nec vanus, de his enim omnibus furta nascuntur.
6 Noli fieri murmuriosus, quia ducit ad maledictionem. Noli fieri audax nec male sapiens, de his enim omnibus maledictiones nascuntur.
7 Esto autem mansuetus, quia mansueti possidebunt sanctam terram.
8 Esto patiens ut tui negotii, bonus et tremens omnia verba quae audis.
9 Non altabis te nec honorabis te apud homines nec dabis animae tuae superbiam, non iunges te animo cum altioribus, sed cum iustis humilibusque conversaberis.
10 Quae tibi contraria contingunt, pro bonis excipies, sciens nihil sine deo fieri.

IV
1 Qui loquitur tibi verbum domini dei, memineris die ac nocte, revereberis eum quasi dominum; unde enim dominica procedunt, ibi et dominus est.
2 Require autem facies sanctorum, ut te reficias verbis illorum.
3 Non facies dissensiones, pacifica litigantes, iudica iuste, sciens quod tu iudicaberis. Non deprimos quemquam in casu suo.
4 Nec dubitabis, verum erit an non erit.
5 Noli esse ad accipiendum extendens manum et ad reddendum subtrahens.
6 Si habes per manus tuas redemptionem peccatorum.
7 Non dubitabis dare nec dans murmuraveris, sciens, quis sit huius mercedis bonus redditor.
8 Non avertes te ab egente, communicabis autem omnia cum fratribus tuis nec dices tua esse; si enim <in im>mortalibus socii sumus, quanto magis hinc initiantes esse debemus? Omnibus enim dominus dare vult de donis suis.
9 Non tolles manum tuam a filiis, sed a iuventute docebis eos timorem domini.
10 Seruo tuo vel ancillae, qui in eundem sperant dominum, in ira tua non imperabis, timeat utrumque, dominum et te; non enim venit, ut personas invitaret, sed in quibus spiritum invenit.
11. Vos autem servi subiecti dominis vestris estote tamquam formae dei cum pudore et tremore.
12 Oderis omnem affectationem et quod deo non placet, non facies.
13 Custodi ergo, fili, quae audisti neque appones illis contraria neque diminues.
14 Non accedas ad orationem cum conscientia mala. Haec est via vitae.

V
1 Mortis autem via est illi contraria. Primum nequam et maledictis plena: moechationes, homicidia, falsa testimonia, fornicationes, desideria mala, magicae, medicamenta iniqua, furta, vanae superstitiones, rapinae, affectationes, fastidia, malitia, petulantia, cupiditas, impudica loquela, zelus, audacia, superbia, altitudo, vanitas.
2 Non timentes, persequentes bonos, odio habentes veritatatem, amantes mendacium, non scientes mercedem veritatis, non applicantes se bonis, non habentes iudicium iustum, pervigilantes non in bono, sed in malo, quorum longe est mansuetudo et superbia proxima, persequentes remuneratores, non miserantes pauperum, non dolentes pro dolente, non scientes genitorem suum, peremptores filiorum suorum, avortuantes, avertentes se a bonis operibus, deprimentes laborantem, advocationes iustorum devitantes. Abstine te, fili, ab istis omnibus.

VI
1 Et vide, ne quis te ab hac doctrina avocet, et si minus, extra disciplinam doceberis.
2 -
3 -
4 Haec in consulendo si cottidie feceris, prope eris vivo deo; quod si non feceris, longe eris a veritate.
5 Haec omnia tibi in animo pone et non deceperis de spe tua, sed per haec sancta certamina pervenies ad coronam.
6 Per dominum Iesum Christum regnantem et dominantem cum deo patre et spiritu sancto in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

ΔΙΔΑΧΑΙ ΤΩΝ ΔΩΔΕΚΑ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ
Codex Hierosolymitanus
Teaching of the Twelve Apostles
English Translation
Διδαχὴ κυρίου διὰ τῶν δώδεκα ἀποστόλων τοῖς ἔθνεσιν.Teaching of the Lord Through the Twelve Apostles to the Gentiles.
I
1 Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου, διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ μεταξὺ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν.
2 Ἡ μὲν οὖν ὁδὸς τῆς ζωῆς ἐστιν αὕτη· πρῶτον ἀγαπήσεις τὸν θεὸν τὸν ποιήσαντά σε, δεύτερον τὸν πλησίον σου ὡς σεαυτόν· πάντα δὲ ὅσα ἐὰν θελήσῃς μὴ γίνεσθαί σοι, καὶ σὺ ἄλλῳ μὴ ποίει.
3 Τούτων δὲ τῶν λόγων ἡ διδαχή ἐστιν αὕτη· Εὐλογεῖτε τοὺς καταρωμένους ὑμῖν καὶ προσεύχεσθε ὑπὲρ τῶν ἐχθρῶν ὑμῶν, νηστεύετε δὲ ὑπὲρ τῶν διωκόντων ὑμᾶς· ποία γὰρ χάρις, ἐὰν ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἀγαπῶντας ὑμᾶς; οὐχὶ καὶ τὰ ἔθνη τὸ αὐτὸ ποιοῦσιν; ὑμεῖς δὲ ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς μισοῦντας ὑμᾶς καὶ οὐχ ἕξετε ἐχθρόν.
4 Ἀπέχου τῶν σαρκικῶν καὶ σωματικῶν ἐπιθυμιῶν. Ἐάν τις σοι δῷ ῥάπισμα εἰς τὴν δεξιὰν σιαγόνα, στρέψον αὐτῷ καὶ τὴν ἄλλην, καὶ ἔσῃ τέλειος· ἐὰν ἀγγαρεύσῃ σέ τις μίλιον ἕν, ὕπαγε μετ' αὐτοῦ δύο· ἐὰν ἄρῃ τις τὸ ἱμάτιόν σου, δὸς αὐτῷ καὶ τὸν χιτῶνα· ἐὰν λάβῃ τις ἀπὸ σοῦ τὸ σόν, μὴ ἀπαίτει· οὐδὲ γὰρ δύνασαι.
5 Παντὶ τῷ αἰτοῦντί σε δίδου καὶ μὴ ἀπαίτει· πᾶσα γὰρ θέλει δίδοσθαι ὁ πατὴρ ἐκ τῶν ἰδίων χαρισμάτων. Μακάριος ὁ διδοὺς κατὰ τὴν ἐντολήν· ἀθῷος γάρ ἐστιν. Οὐαὶ τῷ λαμβάνοντι· εἰ μὲν γὰρ χρείαν ἔχων λαμβάνει τις, ἀθῷος ἔσται· ὁ δὲ μὴ χρείαν ἔχων δώσει δίκην, ἵνα τί ἔλαβε καὶ εἰς τί· ἐν συνοχῇ δὲ γενόμενος ἐξετασθήσεται περὶ ὧν ἔπραξε καὶ οὐκ ἐξελεύσεται ἐκεῖθεν, μέχρις οὗ ἀποδῷ τὸν ἔσχατον κοδράντην.
6 Ἀλλὰ καὶ περὶ τούτου δὲ εἴρηται· Ἱδρωσάτω ἡ ἐλεημοσύνη σου εἰς τὰς χεῖράς σου, μέχρις ἂν γνῷς, τίνι δῷς.
1:1 There are two paths, one of life and one of death, and the difference is great between the two paths.
1:2 Now the path of life is this -- first, thou shalt love the God who made thee, thy neighbour as thyself, and all things that thou wouldest not should be done unto thee, do not thou unto another.
1:3 And the doctrine of these maxims is as follows. Bless them that curse you, and pray for your enemies. Fast on behalf of those that persecute you; for what thank is there if ye love them that love you? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? But do ye love them that hate you, and ye will not have an enemy.
1:4 Abstain from fleshly and worldly lusts. If any one give thee a blow on thy right cheek, turn unto him the other also, and thou shalt be perfect; if any one compel thee to go a mile, go with him two; if a man take away thy cloak, give him thy coat also; if a man take from thee what is thine, ask not for it again, for neither art thou able to do so.
1:5 Give to every one that asketh of thee, and ask not again; for the Father wishes that from his own gifts there should be given to all. Blessed is he who giveth according to the commandment, for he is free from guilt; but woe unto him that receiveth. For if a man receive being in need, he shall be free from guilt; but he who receiveth when not in need, shall pay a penalty as to why he received and for what purpose; and when he is in tribulation he shall be examined concerning the things that he has done, and shall not depart thence until he has paid the last farthing.
1:6 For of a truth it has been said on these matters, let thy almsgiving abide in thy hands until thou knowest to whom thou hast given.
II
1 Δευτέρα δὲ ἐντολὴ τῆς διδαχῆς·
2 Οὐ φονεύσεις, οὐ μοιχεύσεις, οὐ παιδοφθορήσεις, οὐ πορνεύσεις, οὐ κλέψεις, οὐ μαγεύσεις, οὐ φαρμακεύσεις, οὐ φονεύσεις τέκνον ἐν φθορᾷ οὐδὲ γεννηθέντα ἀποκτενεῖς, οὐκ ἐπιθυμήσεις τὰ τοῦ πλησίον.
3 Οὐκ ἐπιορκήσεις, οὐ ψευδομαρτυρήσεις, οὐ κακολογήσεις, οὐ μνησικακήσεις.
4 Οὐκ ἔσῃ διγνώμων οὐδὲ δίγλωσσος· παγὶς γὰρ θανάτου ἡ διγλωσσία.
5 Οὐκ ἔσται ὁ λόγος σου ψευδής, οὐ κενός, ἀλλὰ μεμεστωμένος πράξει.
6 Οὐκ ἔσῃ πλεονέκτης οὐδὲ ἅρπαξ οὐδὲ ὑποκριτὴς οὐδὲ κακοήθης οὐδὲ ὑπερήφανος. Οὐ λήψῃ βουλὴν πονηρὰν κατὰ τοῦ πλησίον σου,
7 Οὐ μισήσεις πάντα ἄνθρωπον, ἀλλὰ οὓς μὲν ἐλέγξεις, περὶ δὲ ὧν προσεύξῃ, οὓς δὲ ἀγαπήσεις ὑπὲρ τὴν ψυχήν σου.
2:1 But the second commandment of the teaching is this.
2:2 Thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not commit adultery; thou shalt not corrupt youth; thou shalt not commit fornication; thou shalt not steal; thou shalt not use soothsaying; thou shalt not practise sorcery; thou shalt not kill a child by abortion, neither shalt thou slay it when born; thou shalt not covet the goods of thy neighbour;
2:3 thou shalt not commit perjury; thou shalt not bear false witness; thou shalt not speak evil; thou shalt not bear malice;
2:4 thou shalt not be double-minded or double-tongued, for to be double tongued is the snare of death.
2:5 Thy speech shall not be false or empty, but concerned with action.
2:6 Thou shalt not be covetous, or rapacious, or hypocritical, or malicious, or proud; thou shalt not take up an evil design against thy neighbour;
2:7 thou shalt not hate any man, but some thou shalt confute, concerning some thou shalt pray, and some thou shalt love beyond thine own soul.
III
1 Τέκνον μου, φεῦγε ἀπὸ παντὸς πονηροῦ καὶ ἀπὸ παντὸς ὁμοίου αὐτοῦ.
2 Μὴ γίνου ὀργίλος· ὁδηγεῖ γὰρ ἡ ὀργὴ πρὸς τὸν φόνον· μηδὲ ζηλωτὴς μηδὲ ἐριστικὸς μηδὲ θυμικός· ἐκ γὰρ τούτων ἁπάντων φόνοι γεννῶνται.
3 Τέκνον μου, μὴ γίνου ἐπιθυμητής· ὁδηγεῖ γὰρ ἡ ἐπιθυμία πρὸς τὴν πορνείαν· μηδὲ αἰσχρολόγος μηδὲ ὑψηλόφθαλμος· ἐκ γὰρ τούτων ἁπάντων μοιχεῖαι γεννῶνται.
4 Τέκνον μου, μὴ γίνου οἰωνοσκόπος, ἐπειδὴ ὁδηγεῖ εἰς τὴν εἰδωλολατρ<ε>ίαν· μηδὲ ἐπαοιδὸς μηδὲ μαθηματικὸς μηδὲ περικαθαίρων, μηδὲ θέλε αὐτὰ βλέπειν [μηδὲ ἀκούειν]· ἐκ γὰρ τούτων ἁπάντων εἰδωλολατρ<ε>ία γεννᾶται.
5 Τέκνον μου, μὴ γίνου ψεύστης, ἐπειδὴ ὁδηγεῖ τὸ ψεῦσμα εἰς τὴν κλοπήν· μηδὲ φιλάργυρος μηδὲ κενόδοξος· ἐκ γὰρ τούτων ἁπάντων κλοπαὶ γεννῶνται.
6 Τέκνον μου, μὴ γίνου γόγγυσος, ἐπειδὴ ὁδηγεῖ εἰς τὴν βλασφημίαν· μηδὲ αὐθάδης μηδὲ πονηρόφρων· ἐκ γὰρ τούτων ἁπάντων βλασφημίαι γεννῶνται.
7 Ἴσθι δὲ πραΰς, ἐπεὶ οἱ πραεῖς κληρονομήσουσι τὴν γῆν.
8 Γίνου μακρόθυμος καὶ ἐλεήμων καὶ ἄκακος καὶ ἡσύχιος καὶ ἀγαθὸς καὶ τρέμων τοὺς λόγους διὰ παντός, οὓς ἤκουσας.
9 Οὐχ ὑψώσεις σεαυτὸν οὐδὲ δώσεις τῇ ψυχῇ σου θράσος. Οὐ κολληθήσεται ἡ ψυχή σου μετὰ ὑψηλῶν, ἀλλὰ μετὰ δικαίων καὶ ταπεινῶν ἀναστραφήσῃ.
10 Τὰ συμβαίνοντά σοι ἐνεργήματα ὡς ἀγαθὰ προσδέξῃ, εἰδὼς ὅτι ἄτερ θεοῦ οὐδὲν γίνεται.
3:1 My child, fly from everything that is evil, and from everything that is like to it.
3:2 Be not wrathful, for wrath leadeth unto slaughter; be not jealous, or contentious, or quarrelsome, for from all these things slaughter ensues.
3:3 My child, be not lustful, for lust leadeth unto fornication; be not a filthy talker; be not a lifter up of the eye, for from all these things come adulteries.
3:4 My child, be not an observer of omens, since it leadeth to idolatry, nor a user of spells, nor an astrologer, nor a travelling purifier, nor wish to see these things, for from all these things idolatry ariseth.
3:5 My child, be not a liar, for lying leadeth unto theft; be not covetous or conceited, for from all these things thefts arise.
3:6 My child, be not a murmurer, since it leadeth unto blasphemy; be not self-willed or evil-minded, for from all these things blasphemies are produced;
3:7 but be thou meek, for the meek shall inherit the earth;
3:8 be thou longsuffering, and compassionate, and harmless, and peaceable, and good, and fearing alway the words that thou hast heard.
3:9 Thou shalt not exalt thyself, neither shalt thou put boldness into thy soul. Thy soul shall not be joined unto the lofty, but thou shalt walk with the just and humble.
3:10 Accept the things that happen to thee as good, knowing that without God nothing happens.
IV
1 Τέκνον μου, τοῦ λαλοῦντός σοι τὸν λόγον τοῦ θεοῦ μνη<σ>θήσῃ νυκτὸς καὶ ἡμέρας, τιμήσεις δὲ αὐτὸν ὡς κύριον· ὅθεν γὰρ ἡ κυριότης λαλεῖται, ἐκεῖ κύριός ἐστιν.
2 Ἐκζητήσεις δὲ καθ' ἡμέραν τὰ πρόσωπα τῶν ἁγίων, ἵνα ἐπαναπαῇς τοῖς λόγοις αὐτῶν.
3 Οὐ ποθήσεις σχίσμα, εἰρηνεύσεις δὲ μαχομένους· κρινεῖς δικαίως, οὐ λήψῃ πρόσωπον ἐλέγξαι ἐπὶ παραπτώμασιν.
4 Οὐ διψυχήσεις, πότερον ἔσται ἢ οὔ.
5 Μὴ γίνου πρὸς μὲν τὸ λαβεῖν ἐκτείνων τὰς χεῖρας, πρὸς δὲ τὸ δοῦναι συσπῶν.
6 Ἐὰν ἔχῃς διὰ τῶν χειρῶν σου, δώσεις λύτρωσιν ἁμαρτιῶν σου.
7 Οὐ διστάσεις δοῦναι οὐδὲ διδοὺς γογγύσεις· γνώσῃ γὰρ τίς ἐστιν ἡ τοῦ μισθοῦ καλὸς ἀνταποδότης.
8 Οὐκ ἀποστραφήσῃ τὸν ἐνδεόμενον, συγκοινωνήσεις δὲ πάντα τῷ ἀδελφῷ σου καὶ οὐκ ἐρεῖς ἴδια εἶναι· εἰ γὰρ ἐν τῷ ἀθανάτῳ κοινωνοί ἐστε, πόσῳ μᾶλλον ἐν τοῖς θνητοῖς.
9 Οὐκ ἀρεῖς τὴν χεῖρά σου ἀπὸ τοῦ υἱοῦ σου ἢ ἀπὸ τῆς θυγατρός σου, ἀλλὰ ἀπὸ νεότητος διδάξεις <αὐτοὺς> τὸν φόβον τοῦ θεοῦ.
10 Οὐκ ἐπιτάξεις δούλῳ σου ἢ παιδίσκῃ, τοῖς ἐπὶ τὸν αὐτὸν θεὸν ἐλπίζουσιν, ἐν πικρίᾳ σου, μήποτε οὐ μὴ φοβηθήσονται τὸν ἐπ' ἀμφοτέροις θεόν· οὐ γὰρ ἔρχεται κατὰ πρόσωπον καλέσαι, ἀλλ' ἐφ' οὓς τὸ πνεῦμα ἡτοίμασεν.
11 Ὑμεῖς δὲ <οἱ> δοῦλοι ὑποταγήσεσθε τοῖς κυρίοις ἡμῶν ὡς τύπῳ θεοῦ ἐν αἰσχύνῃ καὶ φόβῳ.
12 Μισήσεις πᾶσαν ὑπόκρισιν καὶ πᾶν ὃ μὴ ἀρεστὸν τῷ κυρίῳ.
13 Οὐ μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς ἐντολὰς κυρίου, φυλάξεις δὲ ἃ παρέλαβες, μήτε προστιθεὶς μήτε ἀφαιρῶν.
14 Ἐν ἐκκλησίᾳ ἐξομολογήσῃ τὰ παραπτώματά σου, καὶ οὐ προσελεύσῃ ἐπὶ προσευχήν σου ἐν συνειδήσει πονηρᾷ. – Αὕτη ἐστὶν ἡ ὁδὸς τῆς ζωῆς.
4:1 My child, thou shalt remember both night and day him that speaketh unto thee the Word of God; thou shalt honour him as thou dost the Lord, for where the teaching of the Lord is given, there is the Lord;
4:2 thou shalt seek out day by day the favour of the saints, that thou mayest rest in their words;
4:3 thou shalt not desire schism, but shalt set at peace them that contend; thou shalt judge righteously; thou shalt not accept the person of any one to convict him of transgression;
4:4 thou shalt not doubt whether a thing shall be or not.
4:5 Be not a stretcher out of thy hand to receive, and a drawer of it back in giving.
4:6 If thou hast, give by means of thy hands a redemption for thy sins.
4:7 Thou shalt not doubt to give, neither shalt thou murmur when giving; for thou shouldest know who is the fair recompenser of the reward.
4:8 Thou shalt not turn away from him that is in need, but shalt share with thy brother in all things, and shalt not say that things are thine own; for if ye are partners in what is immortal, how much more in what is mortal?
4:9 Thou shalt not remove thine heart from thy son or from thy daughter, but from their youth shalt teach them the fear of God.
4:10 Thou shalt not command with bitterness thy servant or thy handmaid, who hope in the same God as thyself, lest they fear not in consequence the God who is over both; for he cometh not to call with respect of persons, but those whom the Spirit hath prepared.
4:11 And do ye servants submit yourselves to your masters with reverence and fear, as being the type of God.
4:12 Thou shalt hate all hypocrisy and everything that is not pleasing to God;
4:13 thou shalt not abandon the commandments of the Lord, but shalt guard that which thou hast received, neither adding thereto nor taking therefrom;
4:14 thou shalt confess thy transgressions in the Church, and shalt not come unto prayer with an evil conscience. This is the path of life.
V
1 Ἡ δὲ τοῦ θανάτου ὁδός ἐστιν αὕτη· πρῶτον πάντων πονηρά ἐστι καὶ κατάρας μεστή· φόνοι, μοιχεῖαι, ἐπιθυμίαι, πορνεῖαι, κλοπαί, εἰδωλολατρ<ε>ίαι, μαγεῖαι, φαρμακ<ε>ίαι, ἁρπαγαί, ψευδομαρτυρίαι, ὑποκρίσεις, διπλοκαρδία, δόλος, ὑπερηφανία, κακία, αὐθάδεια, πλεονεξία, αἰσχρολογία, ζηλοτυπία, θρασύτης, ὕψος, ἀλαζονεία·
2 Διῶκται ἀγαθῶν, μισοῦντες ἀλήθειαν, ἀγαπῶντες ψεῦδος, οὐ γινώσκοντες μισθὸν δικαιοσύνης, οὐ κολλώμενοι ἀγαθῷ οὐδὲ κρίσει δικαίᾳ, ἀγρυπνοῦντες οὐκ εἰς τὸ ἀγαθόν, ἀλλ' εἰς τὸ πονηρόν· ὧν μακρὰν πραΰτης καὶ ὑπομονή, μάταια ἀγαπῶντες, διώκοντες ἀνταπόδομα, οὐκ ἐλεοῦντες πτωχόν, οὑ πονοῦντες ἐπὶ καταπονουμένῳ, οὑ γινώσκοντες τὸν ποιήσαντα αὐτούς, φονεῖς τέκνων, φθορεῖς πλάσματος θεοῦ, ἀποστρεφόμενοι τὸν ἐνδεόμενον, καταπονοῦντες τὸν θλιβόμενον, πλουσίων παράκλητοι, πενήτων ἄνομοι κριταί, πανθαμαρτητοί. – Ῥυσθείητι, τέκνον, ἀπὸ τούτων ἁπάντων.
5:1 But the path of death is this. First of all, it is evil, and full of cursing; there are found murders, adulteries, lusts, fornication, thefts, idolatries, soothsaying, sorceries, robberies, false witnessings, hypocrisies, double-mindedness, craft, pride, malice, self-will, covetousness, filthy talking, jealousy, audacity, pride, arrogance;
5:2 there are they who persecute the good -- lovers of a lie, not knowing the reward of righteousness, not cleaving to the good nor to righteous judgment, watching not for the good but for the bad, from whom meekness and patience are afar off, loving things that are vain, following after recompense, having no compassion on the needy, nor labouring for him that is in trouble, not knowing him that made them, murderers of children, corrupters of the image of God, who turn away from him that is in need, who oppress him that is in trouble, unjust judges of the poor, erring in all things. From all these, children, may ye be delivered.
VI
1 Ὅρα μή τις σε πλανήσῃ ἀπὸ ταύτης τῆς ὁδοῦ τῆς διδαχῆς, ἐπεἰ<δὴ> παρεκτὸς θεοῦ σε διδάσκει.
2 Εἰ μὲν γὰρ δύνασαι βαστάσαι ὅλον τὸν ζυγὸν τοῦ κυρίου, τέλειος ἔσῃ· εἰ δ' οὐ δύνασαι, ὃ δύνῃ, τοῦτο ποίει.
3 Περὶ δὲ τῆς βρώσεως, ὃ δύνασαι, βάστασον· ἀπὸ δὲ τοῦ εἰδωλοθύτου λίαν πρόσεχε· λατρεία γάρ ἐστι θεῶν νεκρῶν.
6:1 See that no one make thee to err from this path of doctrine, since he who doeth so teacheth thee apart from God.
6:2 If thou art able to bear the whole yoke of the Lord, thou wilt be perfect; but if thou art not able, what thou art able, that do.
6:3 But concerning meat, bear that which thou art able to do. But keep with care from things sacrificed to idols, for it is the worship of the infernal deities.
VII
1 Περὶ δὲ τοῦ βαπτίσματος, οὕτω βαπτίσατε, ταῦτα πάντα προειπόντες, βαπτίσατε εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ πατρὸς καὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος ἐν ὕδατι ζῶντι.
2 Ἐὰν δὲ μὴ ἔχῃς ὕδωρ ζῶν, εἰς ἄλλο ὕδωρ βάπτισον· εἰ δ' οὐ δύνασαι ἐν ψυχρῷ, ἐν θερμῷ.
3 Ἐὰν δὲ ἀμφότερα μὴ ἔχῃς, ἔκχεον εἰς τὴν κεφαλὴν τρὶς ὕδωρ εἰς ὄνομα πατρὸς καὶ υἱοῦ καῖ ἁγίου πνεύματος.
4 Πρὸ δὲ τοῦ βαπτίσματος προνηστευσάτω ὁ βαπτίζων καὶ ὁ βαπτιζόμενος καὶ εἴ τινες ἄλλοι δύνανται· κελεύεις δὲ νηστεῦσαι τὸν βαπτιζόμενον πρὸ μιᾶς ἢ δύο.
7:1 But concerning baptism, thus baptize ye: having first recited all these precepts, baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in running water;
7:2 but if thou hast not running water, baptize in some other water, and if thou canst not baptize in cold, in warm water;
7:3 but if thou hast neither, pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
7:4 But before the baptism, let him who baptizeth and him who is baptized fast previously, and any others who may be able. And thou shalt command him who is baptized to fast one or two days before.
VIII
1 Αἱ δὲ νηστεῖαι ὑμῶν μὴ ἔστωσαν μετὰ τῶν ὑποκριτῶν· νηστεύουσι γὰρ δευτέρᾳ σαββάτων καὶ πέμπτῃ· ὑμεῖς δὲ νηστεύσατε τετράδα καὶ παρασκευήν.
2 Μηδὲ προσεύχεσθε ὡς οἱ ὑποκριταί, ἀλλ' ὡς ἐκέλευσεν ὁ κύριος ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ αὐτοῦ, οὕτως προσεύχεσθε· Πάτερ ἡμῶν ὁ ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ, ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου, ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου, γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς· τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον, καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὴν ὀφειλὴν ἡμῶν, ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφίεμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν, καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ· ὅτι σοῦ ἐστιν ἡ δύναμις καὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
3 Τρὶς τῆς ἡμέρας οὕτω προσεύχεσθε.
8:1 But as for your fasts, let them not be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and fifth days of the week, but do ye fast on the fourth and sixth days.
8:2 Neither pray ye as the hypocrites, but as the Lord hath commanded in his gospel so pray ye: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done as in heaven so on earth. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debt, as we also forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil: for thine is the power, and the glory, for ever.
8:3 Thrice a day pray ye in this fashion.
IX
1 Περὶ δὲ τῆς εὐχαριστίας, οὕτω<ς> εὐχαριστήσατε·
2 Πρῶτον περὶ τοῦ ποτηρίου· Εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, πάτερ ἡμῶν, ὑπὲρ τῆς ἁγίας ἀμπέλου Δαβὶδ τοῦ παιδός σου, ἧς ἐγνώρισας ἡμῖν διὰ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ παιδός σου· σοὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
3 Περὶ δὲ τοῦ κλάσματος· Εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, πάτερ ἡμῶν, ὑπὲρ τῆς ζωῆς καὶ γνώσεως, ἧς ἐγνώρισας ἡμῖν διὰ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ παιδός σου· σοὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
4 Ὥσπερ ἦν τοῦτο <τὸ> κλάσμα διεσκορπισμένον ἐπάνω τῶν ὀρέων καὶ συναχθὲν ἐγένετο ἕν, οὕτω συναχθήτω σου ἡ ἐκκλησία ἀπὸ τῶν περάτων τῆς γῆς εἰς τὴν σὴν βασιλείαν· ὅτι σοῦ ἐστιν ἡ δόξα καὶ ἡ δύναμις διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
5 Μηδεὶς δὲ φαγέτω μηδὲ πιέτω ἀπὸ τῆς εὐχαριστίας ὑμῶν, ἀλλ' οἱ βαπτισθέντες εἰς ὄνομα κυρίου· καὶ γὰρ περὶ τούτου εἴρηκεν ὁ κύριος· Μὴ δῶτε τὸ ἅγιον τοῖς κυσί.
9:1 But concerning the Eucharist, after this fashion give ye thanks.
9:2 First, concerning the cup. We thank thee, our Father, for the holy vine, David thy Son, which thou hast made known unto us through Jesus Christ thy Son; to thee be the glory for ever.
9:3 And concerning the broken bread. We thank thee, our Father, for the life and knowledge which thou hast made known unto us through Jesus thy Son; to thee be the glory for ever.
9:4 As this broken bread was once scattered on the mountains, and after it had been brought together became one, so may thy Church be gathered together from the ends of the earth unto thy kingdom; for thine is the glory, and the power, through Jesus Christ, for ever.
9:5 And let none eat or drink of your Eucharist but such as have been baptized into the name of the Lord, for of a truth the Lord hath said concerning this, Give not that which is holy unto dogs.
X
1 Μετὰ δὲ τὸ ἐμπλησθῆναι οὕτως εὐχαριστήσατε·
2 Εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, πάτερ ἅγιε, ὑπὲρ τοῦ ἁγίου ὀνόματός σου, οὗ κατεσκήνωσας ἐν ταῖς καρδίαις ὑμῶν, καὶ ὑπὲρ τῆς γνώσεως καὶ πίστεως καὶ ἀθανασίας, ἧς ἐγνώρισας ἡμῖν διὰ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ παιδός σου· σοὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
3 Σύ, δέσποτα παντοκράτορ, ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα ἕνεκεν τοῦ ὀνόματός σου, τροφήν τε καὶ ποτὸν ἔδωκας τοῖς ἀνθρώποις εἰς ἀπόλαυσιν, ἵνα σοι εὐχαριστήσωσιν, ἡμῖν δὲ ἐχαρίσω πνευματικὴν τροφὴν καὶ ποτὸν εἰς ζωὴν αἰώνιον διὰ τοῦ παιδός σου.
4 Πρὸ πάντων εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, ὅτι δυνατὸς εἶ σύ· ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
5 Μνήσθητι, κύριε, τῆς ἐκκλησίας σου, τοῦ ῥύσασθαι αὐτὴν ἀπὸ παντὸς πονηροῦ καὶ τελειῶσαι αὐτὴν ἐν τῇ ἀγάπῃ σου, καὶ σύναξον αὐτὴν ἀπὸ τῶν τεσσάρων ἀνέμων, τὴν ἁγιασθεῖσαν, εἰς τὴν σὴν βασιλείαν, ἣν ἡτοίμασας αὐτῇ· ὅτι σοῦ ἐστιν ἡ δύναμις καὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας.
6 Ἐλθέτω χάρις καὶ παρελθέτω ὁ κόσμος οὗτος. ὡσ ἀννὰ τῷ θεῳ Δαβίδ. Εἴ τις ἅγιός ἐστιν, ἐρχέσθω· εἴ τις οὐκ ἐστι, μετανοείτω· μαραναθά. Ἀμήν.
7 Τοῖς δὲ προφήταις ἐπιτρέπετε εὐχαριστεῖν, ὅσα θέλουσιν.
10:1 But after it has been completed, so pray ye.
10:2 We thank thee, holy Father, for thy holy name, which thou hast caused to dwell in our hearts, and for the knowledge and faith and immortality which thou hast made known unto us through Jesus thy Son; to thee be the glory for ever.
10:3 Thou, Almighty Master, didst create all things for the sake of thy name, and hast given both meat and drink, for men to enjoy, that we might give thanks unto thee, but to us thou hast given spiritual meat and drink, and life everlasting, through thy Son.
10:4 Above all, we thank thee that thou art able to save; to thee be the glory for ever.
10:5 Remember, Lord, thy Church, to redeem it from every evil, and to perfect it in thy love, and gather it together from the four winds, even that which has been sanctified for thy kingdom which thou hast prepared for it; for thine is the kingdom and the glory for ever.
10:6 Let grace come, and let this world pass away. Hosanna to the God of David. If any one is holy let him come (to the Eucharist); if any one is not, let him repent. Maranatha. Amen.
10:7 But charge the prophets to give thanks, so far as they are willing to do so.
XI
1 Ὃς ἂν οὖν ἐλθὼν διδάξῃ ὑμᾶς ταῦτα πάντα τὰ προειρημένα, δέξασθε αὐτόν·
2 Ἐὰν δὲ αὐτὸς ὁ διδάσκων στραφεὶς διδάσκῃ ἄλλην διδαχὴν εἰς τὸ καταλῦσαι, μὴ αὐτοῦ ἀκούσητε· εἰς δὲ τὸ προσθεῖναι δικαιοσύνην καὶ γνῶσιν κυρίου, δέξασθε αὐτὸν ὡς κύριον.
3 Περὶ δὲ τῶν ἀποστόλων καὶ προφητῶν κατὰ τὸ δόγμα τοῦ εὐαγγελίου, οὕτως ποιήσατε.
4 Πᾶς δὲ ἀπόστολος ἐρχόμενος πρὸς ὑμᾶς δεχθήτω ὡς κύριος·
5 Οὐ μενεῖ δὲ ἡμέραν μίαν· ἐὰν δὲ ᾗ χρεία, καὶ τὴν ἄλλην· τρεῖς δὲ ἐὰν μείνῃ, ψευδοπροφήτης ἐστίν.
6 Ἐξερχόμενος δὲ ὁ ἀπόστολος μηδὲν λαμβανέτω εἰ μὴ ἄρτον, ἕως οὗ αὐλισθῇ· ἐὰν δὲ ἀργύριον αἰτῇ, ψευδοπροφήτης ἐστί<ν>.
7 Καὶ πάντα προφήτην λαλοῦντα ἐν πνεύματι οὐ πειράσετε οὐδὲ διακρινεῖτε· πᾶσα γὰρ ἁμαρτία ἀφεθήσεται, αὕτη δὲ ἡ ἁμαρτία οὐκ ἀφεθήσεται.
8 Οὐ πᾶς δὲ ὁ λαλῶν ἐν πνεύματι προφήτης ἐστίν, ἀλλ' ἐὰν ἔχῃ τοὺς τρόπους κυρίου. ἀπὸ οὖν τῶν τρόπων γνωσθήσεται ὁ ψευδοφροφήτης καὶ ὁ προφήτης.
9 Καὶ πᾶς προφήτης ὁ ρίζων τράπεζαν ἐν πνεύματι, οὐ φάγεται ἀπ' αὐτῆς, εἰδὲ μήγε, ψευδοπροφήτης ἐστί<ν>.
10 Πᾶς δὲ προφήτης διδάσκων τὴν ἀλήθειαν, εἰ ἃ διδάσκει οὐ ποιεῖ, ψευδοπροφήτης ἐστί<ν>.
11 Πᾶς δὲ προφήτης δεδοκιμασμένος ἀληθινός, ποιῶν εἰς μυστήριον κοσμικὸν ἐκκλησίας, μὴ διδάσκων δὲ ποιεῖν, ὅσα αὐτὸς ποιεῖ, οὐ κριθήσεται ἐφ' ὑμῶν· μετὰ θεοῦ γὰρ ἔχει τὴν κρίσιν· ὡσαύτως γὰρ ἐποίησαν καὶ οἱ ἀρχαῖοι προφῆται.
12 Ὃς δ' ἂν εἴπῃ ἐν πνεύματι· δός μοι ἀργύρια, ἢ ἕτερά τινα, οὐκ ἀκούσεσθε αὐτοῦ· ἐὰν δὲ περὶ ἄλλων ὑστερούντων εἴπῃ δοῦναι, μηδεὶς αὐτὸν κρινέτω.
11:1 Whosoever, therefore, shall come and teach you all these things aforesaid, him do ye receive;
11:2 but if the teacher himself turn and teach another doctrine with a view to subvert you, hearken not to him; but if he come to add to your righteousness, and the knowledge of the Lord, receive him as the Lord.
11:3 But concerning the apostles and prophets, thus do ye according to the doctrine of the Gospel.
11:4 Let every apostle who cometh unto you be received as the Lord.
11:5 He will remain one day, and if it be necessary, a second; but if he remain three days, he is a false prophet.
11:6 And let the apostle when departing take nothing but bread until he arrive at his resting-place; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.
11:7 And ye shall not tempt or dispute with any prophet who speaketh in the spirit; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven.
11:8 But not every one who speaketh in the spirit is a prophet, but he is so who hath the disposition of the Lord; by their dispositions they therefore shall be known, the false prophet and the prophet.
11:9 And every prophet who ordereth in the spirit that a table shall be laid, shall not eat of it himself, but if he do otherwise, he is a false prophet;
11:10 and every prophet who teacheth the truth, if he do not what he teacheth is a false prophet;
11:11 and every prophet who is approved and true, and ministering in the visible mystery of the Church, but who teacheth not others to do the things that he doth himself, shall not be judged of you, for with God lieth his judgment, for in this manner also did the ancient prophets.
11:12 But whoever shall say in the spirit, Give me money, or things of that kind, listen not to him; but if he tell you concerning others that are in need that ye should give unto them, let no one judge him.
XII
1 Πᾶς δὲ ὁ ἐρχόμενος ἐν ὀνόματι κυρίου δεχθήτω, ἔπειτα δὲ δοκιμάσαντες αὐτὸν γνώσεσθε, σύνεσιν γὰρ ἕξεται, δεξιὰν καὶ ἀριστεράν.
2 Εἰ μὲν παρόδιός ἐστιν ὁ ἐρχόμενος, βοηθεῖτε αὐτῷ, ὅσον δύνασθε· οὐ μενεῖ δὲ πρὸς ὑμᾶς εἰ μὴ δύο ἢ τρεῖς ἡμέρας, ἐὰν ᾖ ἀνάγκη.
3 Εἰ δὲ θέλει πρὸς ὑμᾶς καθῆσθαι, τεχνίτης ὤν, ἐργαζέσθω καὶ φαγέτω.
4 Εἰ δὲ οὐκ ἔχει τέχνην, κατὰ τὴν σύνεσιν ὑμῶν προνοήσατε, πῶς μὴ ἀργὸς μεθ' ὑμῶν ζήσεται χριστιανός.
5 Εἰ δ' οὐ θέλει οὕτω ποιεῖν, χριστέμπορός ἐστι<ν>· προσέχετε ἀπὸ τῶν τοιούτων.
12:1 Let every one that cometh in the name of the Lord be received, but afterwards ye shall examine him and know his character, for ye have knowledge both of good and evil.
12:2 If the person who cometh be a wayfarer, assist him so far as ye are able; but he will not remain with you more than two or three days, unless there be a necessity.
12:3 But if he wish to settle with you, being a craftsman, let him work, and so eat;
12:4 but if he know not any craft, provide ye according to you own discretion, that a Christian may not live idle among you;
12:5 but if he be not willing to do so, he is a trafficker in Christ. From such keep aloof.
XIII
1 Πᾶς δὲ προφήτης ἀληθινός, θέλων καθῆσθαι πρὸς ὑμᾶς, ἄξιός ἐστι τῆς τροφῆς αὐτοῦ.
2 Ὡσαύτως διδάσκαλος ἀληθινός ἐστιν ἄξιος καὶ αὐτὸς ὥσπερ ὁ ἐργάτης τῆς τροφῆς αὐτοῦ.
3 Πᾶσαν οὖν ἀπαρχὴν γεννημάτων ληνοῦ καὶ ἅλωνος, βοῶν τε καὶ προβάτων λαβὼν δώσεις τήν ἀπαρχὴν τοῖς προφήταις· αὐτοὶ γάρ εἰσιν οἱ ἀρχιερεῖς ὑμῶν.
4 Ἐὰν δὲ μὴ ἔχητε προφήτην, δότε τοῖς πτωχοῖς.
5 Ἐὰν σιτίαν ποιῇς, τὴν ἀπαρχὴν λαβὼν δὸς κατὰ τὴν ἐντολήν.
6 Ὡσαύτως κεράμιον οἴνου ἢ ἐλαίου ἀνοίξας, τὴν ἀπαρχὴν λαβὼν δὸς τοῖς προφήταις.
7 Ἀργυρίου δὲ καὶ ἱματισμοῦ καὶ παντὸς κτήματος λαβὼν τὴν ἀπαρχήν, ὡς ἄν σοι δόξῃ, δὸς κατὰ τὴν ἐντολήν.
13:1 But every true prophet who is willing to dwell among you is worthy of his meat,
13:2 likewise a true teacher is himself worthy of his meat, even as is a labourer.
13:3 Thou shalt, therefore, take the firstfruits of every produce of the wine-press and threshing-floor, of oxen and sheep, and shalt give it to the prophets, for they are your chief priests;
13:4 but if ye have not a prophet, give it unto the poor.
13:5 If thou makest a feast, take and give the firstfruits according to the commandment;
13:6 in like manner when thou openest a jar of wine or of oil, take the firstfruits and give it to the prophets;
13:7 take also the firstfruits of money, of clothes, and of every possession, as it shall seem good unto thee, and give it according to the commandment.
XIV
1 Κατὰ κυριακὴν δὲ κυρίου συναχθέντες κλάσατε ἄρτον καὶ εὐχαριστήσατε, προεξομολογησάμενοι τὰ παραπτώματα ὑμῶν, ὅπως καθαρὰ ἡ θυσία ἡμῶν ᾖ.
2 Πᾶς δὲ ἔχων τὴν ἀμφιβολίαν μετὰ τοῦ ἑταίρου αὐτοῦ μὴ συνελθέτω ὑμῖν, ἕως οὗ διαλλαγῶσιν, ἵνα μὴ κοινωθῇ ἡ θυσία ἡμῶν.
3 Αὕτη γάρ ἐστιν ἡ ῥηθεῖσα ὑπὸ κυρίου· Ἐν παντὶ τόπῳ καὶ χρόνῳ προσφέρειν μοι θυσίαν καθαράν· ὅτι βασιλεὺς μέγας εἰμί, λέγει κύριος, καὶ τὸ ὄνομά μου θαυμαστὸν ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσι.
14:1 But on the Lord's day, after that ye have assembled together, break bread and give thanks, having in addition confessed your sins, that your sacrifice may be pure.
14:2 But let not any one who hath a quarrel with his companion join with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be polluted,
14:3 for it is that which is spoken of by the Lord. In every place and time offer unto me a pure sacrifice, for I am a great King, saith the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the Gentiles.
XV
1 Χειροτονήσατε οὖν ἑαυτοῖς ἐπισκόπους καὶ διακόνους ἀξίους τοῦ κυρίου, ἄνδρας πραεῖς καὶ ἀφιλαργύρους καὶ ἀληθεῖς καὶ δεδοκιμασμένους· ὑμῖν γὰρ λειτουργοῦσι καὶ αὐτοὶ τὴν λειτουργίαν τῶν προφητῶν καὶ διδασκάλων.
2 Μὴ οὖν ὑπερίδητε αὐτούς· αὐτοὶ γάρ εἰσιν οἱ τετιμημένοι ὑμῶν μετὰ τῶν προφητῶν καὶ διδασκάλων.
3 Ἐλέγχετε δὲ ἀλλήλους μὴ ἐν ὀργῇ, ἀλλ' ἐν εἰρήνη, ὡς ἔχετε ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ· καὶ παντὶ ἀστοχοῦντι κατὰ τοῦ ἑτέρου μηδεὶς λαλείτω μηδὲ παρ' ὑμῶν ἀκουέτω, ἕως οὗ μετανοήσῃ.
4 Τὰς δὲ εὐχὰς ὑμῶν καὶ τὰς ἐλεημοσύνας καὶ πάσας τὰς πράξεις οὕτως ποιήσατε, ὡς ἔχετε ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν.
15:1 Elect, therefore, for yourselves bishops and deacons worthy of the Lord, men who are meek and not covetous, and true and approved, for they perform for you the service of prophets and teachers.
15:2 Do not, therefore, despise them, for they are those who are honoured among you, together with the prophets and teachers.
15:3 Rebuke one another, not in wrath but peaceably, as ye have commandment in the Gospel; and, but let no one speak to any one who walketh disorderly with regard to his neighbour, neither let him be heard by you until he repent.
15:4 But your prayers and your almsgivings and all your deeds so do, as ye have commandment in the Gospel of our Lord.
XVI
1 Γρηγορεῖτε ὑπὲρ τῆς ζωῆς ὑμῶν· οἱ λύχνοι ὑμῶν μὴ σβεσθήτωσαν, καὶ αἱ ὀσφύες ὑμῶν μὴ ἐκλυέσθωσαν, ἀλλὰ γίνεσθε ἕτοιμοι· οὐ γὰρ οἴδατε τὴν ὥραν, ἐν ᾗ ὁ κύριος ἡμῶν ἔρχεται.
2 Πυκνῶς δὲ συναχθήσεσθε ζητοῦντες τὰ ἀνήκοντα ταῖς ψυχαῖς ὑμῶν· οὐ γὰρ ὠφελήσει ὑμᾶς ὁ πᾶς χρόνος τῆς πίστεως ὑμῶν, ἐὰν μὴ ἐν τῷ ἐσχάτῳ καιρῷ τελειωθῆτε.
3 Ἐν γὰρ ταῖς ἐσχάταις ἡμέραις πληθυνθήσονται οἱ ψευδοπροφῆται καὶ οἱ φθορεῖς, καὶ στραφήσονται τὰ πρόβατα εἰς λύκους, καὶ ἡ ἀγάπη στραφήσεται εἰς μῖσος·
4 Αὐξανούσης γὰρ τῆς ἀνομίας μισήσουσιν ἀλλήλους καὶ διώξουσι καὶ παραδώσουσι καὶ τότε φανήσεται ὁ κοσμοπλάνος ὡς υἱὸς θεοῦ καὶ ποιήσει σημεῖα καὶ τέρατα καὶ ἡ γῆ παραδοθήσεται εἰς χεῖρας αὐτοῦ, καὶ ποιήσει ἀθεμίτα, ἃ οὐδέποτε γέγονεν ἐξ αἰῶνος.
5 Τότε ἥξει ἡ κτίσις τῶν ἀνθρώπων εἰς τὴν πύρωσιν τῆς δοκιμασίας, καὶ σκανδαλισθήσονται πολλοὶ καὶ ἀπολοῦνται· οἱ δὲ ὑπομείναντες ἐν τῇ πίστει αὐτῶν σωθήσονται ὑπ' αὐτοῦ τοῦ καταθέματος.
6 Καὶ τότε φανήσεται τὰ σημεῖα τῆς ἀληθείας· πρῶτον σημεῖον ἐκπετάσεως ἐν οὐρανῷ, εἶτα σημεῖον φωνῆς σάλπιγγος, καὶ τὸ τρίτον ἀνάστασις νεκρῶν·
7 Οὐ πάντων δέ, ἀλλ' ὡς ἐρρέθη· Ἥξει ὁ κύριος καὶ πάντες οἱ ἅγιοι μετ' αὐτοῦ.
8 Τότε ὄψεται ὁ κόσμος τὸν κύριον ἐρχόμενον ἐπάνω τῶν νεφελῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ....
16:1 Watch concerning your life; let not your lamps be quenched or your loins be loosed, but be ye ready, for ye know not the hour at which our Lord cometh.
16:2 But be ye gathered together frequently, seeking what is suitable for your souls; for the whole time of your faith shall profit you not, unless ye be found perfect in the last time.
16:3 For in the last days false prophets and seducers shall be multiplied, and the sheep shall be turned into wolves, and love shall be turned into hate;
16:4 and because iniquity aboundeth they shall hate each other, and persecute each other, and deliver each other up; and then shall the Deceiver of the world appear as the Son of God, and shall do signs and wonders, and the earth shall be delivered into his hands; and he shall do unlawful things, such as have never happened since the beginning of the world.
16:5 Then shall the creation of man come to the fiery trial of proof, and many shall be offended and shall perish; but they who remain in their faith shall be saved by the rock of offence itself.
16:6 And then shall appear the signs of the truth; first the sign of the appearance in heaven, then the sign of the sound of the trumpet, and thirdly the resurrection of the dead
16:7 -- not of all, but as it has been said, The Lord shall come and all his saints with him;
16:8 then shall the world behold the Lord coming on the clouds of heaven....

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

4Q473 (Two Ways)

1 [....]ה ת[...]
2 בה [....]והואה נותן [...]
3 [שתי] דרכים אחת טוב[ה ואחת רעה אם תלך בדרך הטובה ...]
4 ויברככה ואם תלך בדרך [הרעה ...]
5 יב[יא ע]ליכה והשמידכה [...]
6 וירקון שלג קרח ובר[ד ...]
7 עם כול [......]
8 [......]

[...]? ?[.......] in it [...] and he gives [... two] ways, one good and [one evil. If you walk in the good way ...] and he will bless you; but if you walk in [the evil] way [...] he will br[ing up]on you, and he will destroy you [...] and blight, snow, ice, and hai[l ...] with all [............]

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

ΒΑΡΝΑΒΑ ΕΠΙΣΤΟΛΗ XVIII-XX
Epistle of Barnabas 18-20
XVIII
1. Μεταβῶμεν δὲ καὶ ἐπὶ ἑτέραν γνῶσιν καὶ διδαχήν. Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσὶν διδαχῆς καὶ ἐξουσίας, ἥ τε τοῦ φωτὸς καὶ ἡ τοῦ σκότους. διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν. ἐφ’ ἧς μὲν γάρ εἰσιν τεταγμένοι φωταγωγοὶ ἄγγελοι τοῦ θεοῦ, ἐφ’ ἧς δὲ ἄγγελοι του σατανᾶ. 2. καὶ ὁ μέν ἐστιν κύριος ἀπὸ αἰώνων καὶ εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ὁ δὲ ἄρχων καιροῦ τοῦ νῦν τῆς ἀνομίας.
18:1 Let us pass on now to another kind of knowledge and instruction. There are two paths of instruction and authority -- the one that of light, and the other that of darkness. But there is a great difference between the two paths. For over the one are appointed as illuminators the angels of God, over the other the angels of Satan; 18:2 on the one side is he who is Lord from everlasting to everlasting, on the other is the ruler of the world that now lieth in wickedness.
XIX
1. Ἡ οὖν ὁδὸς τοῦ φωτός ἐστιν αὕτη· ἐάν τις θέλων ὁδὸν ὁδεύειν ἐπὶ τὸν ὡρισμένον τόπον, σπεύσῃ τοῖς ἔργοις αὐτοῦ. ἔσιν οὖν ἡ δοθεῖσα ἡμῖν γνῶσις τοῦ περιπατεῖν ἐν αὐτῇ τοιαύτη. 2. ἀγαπήσεις τὸν ποιήσαντά σε, φοβηθήσῃ τόν σε πλασαντα, δοξάσεις τόν σε λυτρωσάμενον ἐκ θανάτου· ἔσῃ ἁπλοῦς τῇ καρδίᾳ καὶ πλούσιος τῷ πνεύματι· οὐ κολληθήσῃ μετὰ τῶν πορευομένων ἐν ὁδῷ θανάτου, μισήσεις πᾶν, ὃ οὐκ ἔστιν ἀρεστὸν τῷ θεῷ, μισήσεις πᾶσαν ὑπόκρισιν· οὐ μὴ ἐγκαταλιπῃς ἐντολὰς κυρίου. 3. οὐχ ὑψώσεις σεαυτόν, ἔσῃ δὲ ταπεινόφρων κατὰ πάντα· οὐκ ἀρεῖς ἐπὶ σεαυτὸν δόξαν. οὐ λήμψῃ βουλὴν πονηρὰν κατὰ τοῦ πλησίον σου, οὐ δώσεις τῇ ψυχῇ σου θράσος. 4. οὐ πορνεύσεις, οὐ μοιχεύσεις, οὐ παιδοφθορήσεις. οὐ μή σου ὁ λόγος τοῦ θεοῦ ἐξέθῃ ἐν ἀκαθαρσίᾳ τινῶν. οὐ λήμωψῃ πρόσωπον ἐλέγξαι τινὰ ἐπὶ παραπτώματι. ἔσῃ πραΰς, ἔσῃ ἡσύχιος, ἔσῃ τρέμων τοὺς λόγους οὓς ἤκουσας, οὐ μνησικακήσεις τῷ ἀδελφῷ σου. 5. οὐ μὴ διψυχήσῃς, πότερον ἔσται ἢ οὔ. οὐ μὴ λάβῃς ἐπὶ ματάῳ τὸ ὄνομα κυρίου. ἀγαπήσεις τὸν πλησίον σου ὑπὲρ τὴν ψυχήν σου. οὐ φονεύσεῖς τέκνον ἐν φθορᾷ, οὐδὲ πάλιν γεννηθὲν ἀποκτενεῖς. οὐ μὴ ἄρῃς τὴν χεῖρά σου ἀπὸ τοῦ υἱοῦ σου ἢ ἀπὸ τῆς θυγατρός σου, ἀλλὰ ἀπὸ νεότητος διδάξεις φόβον θεοῦ. 6. οὐ μὴ γένῃ ἐπιθυμῶν τὰ τοῦ πλησίον σου, οὐ μὴ γένῃ πλεονέκτης. οὐδὲ κολληθήσῃ ἐκ ψυχῆς σου μετὰ ὑψηλῶν, ἀλλὰ μετὰ ταπεινῶν καὶ δικαίων ἀναστραφήσῃ, τὰ συμβαίνοντά σοι ἐνεργήματα ὡς ἀγαθὰ προσδέξῃ, εἰδώς ὅτι ἄνευ θεοῦ οὐδὲν γίνεται. 7. οὐκ ἔσῃ διγνώμων οὐδὲ γλωσσώδης, ὑποταγήσῃ κυρίοις ὡς τύπῳ θεοῦ ἐν αἰσχύνῃ καὶ φόβῳ· οὐ μὴ ἐπιτάξῃς δούλῳ σου ἢ παιδίσκῃ ἐν πικρίᾳ, τοῖς ἐπὶ τὸν αὐτὸν θεὸν ἐλπίζουσιν, μή ποτε οὐ μὴ φοβηθήσονται τὸν ἐπ’ ἀμφοτέροις θεόν· ὅτι οὐκ ἦλθεν κατὰ πρόσωπον καλέσαι, ἀλλ’ ἐφ’ οὓς τὸ πνεῦμα ἡτοίμασεν. 8. κοινωνήσεις ἐν πᾶσιν τῷ πλησίον σου καὶ οὐκ ἐρεῖς ἴδια εἶναι· εἰ γὰρ ἐν τῷ ἀφθάρτῳ κοινωνοί ἐστε, πόσῳ μᾶλλον ἐν τοῖς φθαρτοῖς; οὐκ ἔσῃ πρόγλωσσος· παγὶς γὰρ τὸ στόμα θανάτου. ὅσον δύνασαι, ὑπὲρ τῆς ψυχῆς σου ἁγνεύσεις. 9. μὴ γίνου πρὸς μὲν τὸ λαβεῖν ἐκτείνων τὰς χεῖρας, πρὸς μὲν τὸ λαβεῖν ἐκτείνων τὰς χεῖρας, πρὸς δὲ τὸ δοῦναι συσπῶν. ἀγαπήσεις ὡς κόρην τοῦ ὀφθαλμοῦ σου πάντα τὸν λαλοῦντά σοι τὸν λόγον κυρίου. 10. μνησθήσῃ ἡμέραν κρίσεως νυκτὸς και ἡμέρας, καὶ ἐκζητήσεις καθ’ ἑκάστην ἡμέραν τὰ πρόσωπα τῶν ἁγίων, ἢ διὰ λόγου κοπιῶν καὶ πορευόμενος εἰς λύτρωσιν ἁμαρτιῶν σου. 11. οὐ διστάσεις μισθοῦ καλὸς ἀνταποδότης. φυλάξεις ἃ παρέλαβες, μήτε προστιθεὶς μήτε ἀφαιρῶν, εἰς τέλος μισήσεις τὸ πονηρόν. κρινεῖς δικαίως. 12. οὐ ποιήσεις σχίσμα, εἰρηνεύσεις δὲ μαχομένους συαγαγών. ἐξομολογήσῃ ἐπὶ ἁμαρτίαις σου. οὐ προσήξεις ἐπὶ προσευχὴν ἐν συνειδήσει πονηρᾷ. αὑτη ἐστὶν ὁδὸς τοῦ φωτός.
19:1 Now, the path of life is this: If any one wishes to travel to the appointed place, let him hasten by means of his works. Now, the knowledge of walking in it that is given unto us is of this kind: 19:2 Thou shalt love him that made thee, thou shalt fear him that formed thee, thou shalt glorify him that redeemed thee from death. Thou shalt be simple in heart, and rich in spirit; thou shalt not cleave unto them that go in the path of death. Thou shalt hate whatever is not pleasing unto God; thou shalt hate all hypocrisy; thou shalt not abandon the commandments of the Lord; 19:3 thou shalt not exalt thyself; thou shalt be humble in all things; thou shalt not take glory unto thyself; thou shalt not take evil counsel against thy neighbour; thou shalt not take audacity into thy soul. 19:4 Thou shalt not commit fornication, thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not pollute thyself with mankind: let not the word of God go forth from thee in corruption. Thou shalt not accept the person of any to reprove any man for transgression. Thou shalt be gentle, thou shalt be quiet; thou shalt tremble at the words that thou hast heard; thou shalt not bear malice against thy brother; 19:5 thou shalt not doubt whether a thing shall be or not; thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain. Thou shalt love thy neighbour beyond thine own soul; thou shalt not kill a child by abortion, neither shalt thou destroy it after it is born. Thou shalt not remove thy hand from thy son or thy daughter, but shalt teach them from their youth the fear of the Lord. 19:6 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods; thou shalt not be an extortioner; thou shalt not cleave with thy soul unto the proud, but thou shalt have thy conversation with the lowly and the just. Receive as blessings the troubles that come unto thee, knowing that without God nothing happens. 19:7 Thou shalt not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is the snare of death. Thou shalt submit thyself to thy masters as to the image of God, with shame and fear. Thou shalt not give commands with bitterness to thy servant and thy handmaid, who hope in the same God as thou dost, lest, perchance, thou cease to fear God, who is over both. For he came not to call men with respect of persons, but to call those whom the Spirit had prepared. 19:8 Thou shalt communicate in all things with thy neighbour, and shalt not say that things are thine own. For if ye be partners in that which is incorruptible, how much more in the things that are corruptible? Thou shalt not be hasty of speech, for the mouth is a snare of death. As far as thou art able, thou shalt be pure concerning thy soul. 19:9 Be not a stretcher forth of thy hand in receiving, and a drawer back of it in giving. Thou shalt love, as the apple of thine eye, every one that speaketh unto thee the word of the Lord. 19:10 Thou shalt remember the day of judgment by night and by day; and thou shalt seek out every day the persons of the saints. 19:11 Thou shalt not doubt to give, nor shalt thou murmur in giving. Give to every one that asketh thee, and thou shalt know who is the good recompenser of the reward. Thou shalt take care of that which thou hast received, neither adding thereto, nor taking therefrom. Thou shalt hate the evil man unto the end, and shalt judge justly. 19:12 Thou shalt not make a schism, but shalt make peace by bringing adversaries together. Thou shalt make confession of thy sins. Thou shalt not go unto prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life, either labouring by means of the word and proceeding to exhort, and practising to save the soul by the word, or thou shalt work by thy hands for the redemption of thy sins.
XX
1. Ἧ δὲ τοῦ μέλαος ὁδός ἐστιν σκολιὰ καὶ κατάρας μεστή. ὁδὸς ἐστιν θανάτου αἰωνίου μετὰ τιμωρίας, ἐν ᾗ ἐστιν τὰ ἀπολλύντα τὴ ψυχὴν αὐτῶν· εἰδωλολατρεία, θρασύτης, ὕψος δυνάμεως, ὑπόκρισις, διπλοκαρδία, μοιχεία, φόνος, ἁρπαγή, ὑπερηφανία, μαγεία, πλεονεξία, ἀφοβία θεοῦ· 2. διῶκται τῶν ἀγαθῶν, μισοῦντες ἀλήθειαν, ἀγαπῶντες ψεῦδος, οὐ γινώσκοντες μισθὸν δικαιοσύνης, οὐ κολλώμενοι ἀγαθῷ, οὐ κρίσει δικαίᾳ, χήρᾳ καὶ ὀρφανῷ οὐ προσέχοντες, ἀγρυπνοῦντες μάταια, διώκοντες ἀνταπόδομα, οὐκ ἐλεῶντες πτωχόν, οὐ πονοῦντες ἐπὶ καταπονουμένῳ, εὐχερεῖς ἐν καταφονεῖς τέκνων, φθορεῖς πλάσματος θεοῦ, ἀποστρεφόμενοι τὸν ἐνδέμενον, καταπονοῦντες τὸν θλιβόμενον, πλουσίων παράκλητοι, πενήτων ἄνομοι κριταί, πανθαμάρτητοι.
20:1 But the path of darkness is crooked and full of cursing, for it is the path of eternal death and punishment, in which way are the things that destroy the soul. Idolatry, boldness, the pride of power, hypocrisy, double-heartedness, adultery, murder, rape, haughtiness, transgression, deceit, malice, self-will, witchcraft, sorcery, covetousness, want of the fear of God. 20:2 Here are they who are persecutors of the good, haters of truth, lovers of lies; they who know not the reward of righteousness, who cleave not to what is good nor unto just judgment; who attend not to the widow and the orphan; who are awake not unto the fear of God, but unto evil; from whom meekness and patience are afar off; who love the things that are vain, who follow after recompense, who pity not the poor, who labour not for him who is in trouble; who are prompt to evil-speaking, who know not him that made them; murderers of children, corruptors of the image of God; who turn away from the poor man and oppress the afflicted; advocates of the rich, unjust judges of the poor, sinners in all things.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Pseudo-Boniface, De Abrenuntiatione in Baptismate
(Sermo XV; Migne, PL 89, 0870A-0872A)
Pseudo-Boniface, Renunciation
(Sermon XV)
Codex Palatinus Latinus 485
(Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana)
1. Audite, fratres, et attentius cogitetis quid in baptismo renuntiastis. Abrenuntiastis enim diabolo, et omnibus operibus eius et omnibus pompis eius. Quid sunt ergo opera diaboli? Haec sunt superbia, idololatria, invidia, homicidium, detractio, mendacium, periurium, odium, fornicatio, adulterium, omnis pollutio, furta, falsum testimonium, rapina, gula, ebrietas, turpiloquia, contentiones, ira, veneficia, incantationes et sortilegos exquirere, strigas et fictos lupos credere, abortum facere, Dominis inobedientes esse, phylacteria habere. Haec et his similia mala opera sunt diaboli, et his omnibus in baptismo renuntiastis, et, sicut Apostolus dicit: Qui talia agunt digni sunt morte, et regnum Dei non consequentur. Sed quia credimus per Dei misericordiam ut his omnibus superius dictis corde et opere renuntietis, ut veniam consequi mereamini, admoneo vos, fratres charissimi, ut reminiscamini quod omnipotenti Deo promisistis.1. Listen, my brethren, and consider well what you have solemnly renounced in your baptism. You have renounced the devil and all his works, and all his pomp. But what are the works of the devil? They are pride, idolatry, envy, murder, calumny, lying, perjury, hatred, fornication, adultery, every kind of lewdness, theft, false witness, robbery, gluttony, drunkenness, Slander, fight, malice, philters, incantations, lots, belief in witches and were-wolves, abortion, disobedience to the Master, amulets. These and other such evil things are the works of the devil, all of which you have forsworn by your baptism, as the apostle says: Whosoever doeth such things deserves death, and shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven. But as we believe that, by the mercy of God, you will renounce all these things, with heart and hand, in order to become fit for grace, I admonish you, my dearest brethren, to remember what you have promised Almighty God.1. Audite, fratres, et adtentius cogitetis quid in baptismo renuntiastis. Abrenuntiastis enim diabulo, et omnibus operibus eius. Haec sunt opera eius quae renuntiastis, superbiam, invidiam, odium, detractionem, mendacium, periurium, fornicationem, adulterium, homicidium, furtum, falsum testimonium, rapinam, avaritiam, gulam, et ebrietatem; turpiloquiam, contentiones, ira, veneficia, incantationes, et sortilegos exquirere, strigas et fictos lupos credere, Dominis inobedientes esse, philacteria habere. Haec et his similia mala opera sunt diaboli, et his omnibus in baptismo renuntiastis, et sicut Apostolus dicit: Qui talia agunt digni sunt morte, et regnum Dei non consequentur. Sed credimus per misericordiam Dei ut his omnibus malis superius conprehensis corde et opere renuntietis et per confessionem et dignam paenitentiam emendetis ut veniam consequi mereamini.
2. Primitus enim promisistis credere in Deum omnipotentem, et in Iesum Christum Filium eius, et in Spiritum sanctum, unum omnipotentem Deum in Trinitate perfecta.2. For, first, you have promised to believe in Almighty God, and in his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit, one almighty God in perfect trinity.2. Haec sunt ergo quae in baptismo promisistis et custodire debetis, primitus enim promisistis credere in Deum Patrem omnipotentem, et in Iesum Christum Filium eius, et in Spiritum sanctum, qui est unus Deus omnipotens in Trinitate perfecta.
3. Haec sunt mandata Dei quae facere et conservare debetis, ut Deum, quem confessi estis, diligatis ex toto corde, ex tota mente, et ex tota virtute. Deinde proximos vestros tanquam vosmetipsos. In his omnibus mandatis tota lex pendet et prophetae. Estote patientes, estote misericordes, benigni, casti, impolluti. Filios docete ut Deum timeant, familiam similiter. Discordes pacate. Qui causas audit, iuste iudicet, munera non accipiat, quia munera obcaecant etiam sapientes.3. And these are the commandments which you shall keep and fulfil: to love God, whom you profess, with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourselves; for on these commandments hang the whole law and the prophets. Be patient, have mercy, be benevolent, chaste, pure. Teach your sons to fear God; teach your whole family to do so. Make peace where you go, and let him who sits in court; give a just verdict and take no presents, for presents make even a wise man blind.3. Haec sunt ergo mandata Dei quae facere et custodire debetis, ut ipsum Deum, quem confessi estis, diligatis ex toto corde, ex tota anima, ex tota virtute, ex tota mente. Deinde proximos vestros tamquam vosmetipsos, quia in his duobus mandatis tota lex pendet et prophetae. Estote patientes, estote misericordes, benigni, casti, impolluti. Filios ac filias vestras docete ut Deum timeant, filiam [familiam?] vestram similiter. Discordes pacate, iuste iudicate, munera iniusta non accipiatis, quia munera obcecant etiam sapientes.
4. Diem Dominicum observate, ad ecclesiam convenite, ibi orantes et non verbositantes. Eleemosynas date iuxta vires, quia sicut aqua exstinguit ignem, ita eleemosyna exstinguit peccatum. Hospitales invicem peregrinos suscipite, infirmos visitate, viduis et pupillis ministrate, decimas reddite ecclesiis, et quod tibi non vis, alii ne facias. Deum solum ubique timete. Servi subditi estote dominis, et domini iustitiam conservate servis. Orationem Dominicam et Symbolum tenete, et filiis vestris tradite et filiolis vestris, quorum in baptismo fideiussores exstitistis. Ieiunium amate, iustitiam diligite, diabolo resistite, Eucharistiam per tempora sumite. Haec sunt opera quae Deus iussit facere et conservare, et his similia.4. Keep the Sabbath and go to church-to pray, but not to prattle. Give alms according to your power, for alms extinguish sins as water does fire. Show hospitality to travelers, visit the sick, take care of widows and orphans, pay your tithes to the church, and do to nobody what you would not have done to yourself. Fear God above all. Let the servants be obedient to their masters, and the masters just to their servants. Cling to the Lord’s Prayer and the Creed, and communicate them to your own children and to those whose baptismal sponsors you are. Keep the fast, love what is right, stand up against the devil, and partake from time to time of the Lord’s Supper. Such are the works which God commands you to do and fulfil.4. Diem Dominicum observate, ad ecclesiam convenite, ibi orantes et non verbositantes. Elimosinas date iuxta vires, hospitales invicem, peregrinos suscipite, infirmos visitate, viduis et pupillis ministrate, decimas ad ecclesias reddite, et quod tibi non vis, alio ne facias. Deum solum ubique timete. Servi subditi estote dominis, et domini iustitiam conservate servis. Orationem Dominicam et Symbolum tenete, et filiis vestris tradite et filiolis vestris, quos in baptismo fide iussores extitistis. Ieiunium amate, iustitiam diligite, diabolo semper resistite, Eucharistiam per tempora sumite. Haec sunt opera quae Deus iussit facere et conservare, et his similia.
5. Venturum Christum credite, et carnis resurrectionem, et iudicium omnium hominum. Ibi discernuntur impii in ignem aeternum, iusti autem in vitam aeternam. Ibi est vita cum Deo sine morte, lux sine tenebris, salus sine aegritudine, satietas sine fame, felicitas sine timore, gaudium sine tristitia. Ibi aeterna gloria, ibi fulgebunt iusti sicut sol, quoniam oculus non vidit, nec auris audivit, nec in cor hominis ascendit quantum praeparavit Deus diligentibus se.5. Believe in the advent of Christ, the resurrection of the body, and the judgment of all men. For then the impious shall be separated from the just, the one for the everlasting fire, the others for the eternal life. Then begins a life with God without death, a light without shadows, a health without sickness, a plenty without hunger, a happiness without fear, a joy with no misgivings. Then comes the eternal glory, in which the just shall shine like suns, for no eye has ever seen, no ear has ever heard, no heart has ever dreamed, of all that which God has prepared for those whom he loves.5. Venturum Christum credite, et carnis resurrectionem, et iudicium omnium hominum. Ibi discernuntur impii a sorte iustorum et mittuntur in ignem aeternum, iusti autem in vitam aeternam. Ibi est vita cum Deo sine morte, ibi aeterna gloria sine fine, ibi fulgebunt iusti sicut sol, ibi omnia bona quae oculus non vidit, nec auris audivit, nec in cor hominis ascendit quantum praeparavit Deus diligentibus se, quod ipse praestare dignetur qui in trinitate perfecta vivit et regnat Deus in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
6. Hoc etiam vos moneo, fratres charissimi, quia natalis Domini imminet, ut abstineatis vos ab omni luxuria et ab omni fornicatione, et ab omni immunditia, et ab omnibus operibus malis. Iracundiam et odium et invidiam velut venenum de vestris cordibus respuite. Castitatem etiam cum propriis uxoribus conservate. Ornate vos bonis operibus. Eleemosynas pauperibus Christi erogate. Ad convivia lautiora pauperes frequenter revocate. Pacem cum omnibus custodite, discordes pacate. Hoc si fideliter, Christo adiuvante, volueritis adimplere, et in hoc saeculo ad altare Domini securiter potestis accedere, et in futuro ad aeternam beatitudinem feliciter pervenire.6. I also remind you, my beloved brethren, that the birth-day of our Lord is approaching, in order that you may abstain from all that is worldly or lewd or impure or bad. Spit out all malice and hatred and envy; it is poison to your heart. Keep chaste even with respect to your own wives. Clothe yourselves with good works. Give alms to the poor who belong to Christ; invite them often to your feasts. Keep peace with all, and make peace between those who are at discord. If, with the aid of Christ, you will truly fulfil these commands, then in this life you can with confidence approach the altar of God, and in the next you shall partake of the everlasting bliss.6 -

Images

Codex Palatinus Latinus 485, Folio 91 Recto: http://bibliotheca-laureshamensis-digit ... 5eca3f60b5

Codex Palatinus Latinus 485, Folio 91 Verso: http://bibliotheca-laureshamensis-digit ... 5eca3f60b5

Codex Palatinus Latinus 485, Folio 92 Recto: http://bibliotheca-laureshamensis-digit ... 5eca3f60b5
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

There are various commentaries about this work, some summarized on early-christian-writings' webpage about it

Didache passages are associated with a wide range of other texts. From wikipedia -

Didache 'Early References' -
  • The section Two Ways shares the same language with the Epistle of Barnabas, chapters 18–20, sometimes word for word, sometimes added to, dislocated, or abridged, and Barnabas iv, 9 either derives from Didache, 16, 2–3, or vice versa. There can also be seen many similarities to the Epistles of both Polycarp and Ignatius of Antioch.The Shepherd of Hermas seems to reflect it, and Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, and Origen of Alexandria also seem to use the work, and so in the West do Optatus and the Gesta apud Zenophilum. The Didascalia Apostolorum are founded upon the Didache. The Apostolic Church-Ordinances has used a part, the Apostolic Constitutions have embodied the Didascalia. There are echoes in Justin Martyr, Tatian, Theophilus of Antioch, Cyprian, and Lactantius.
Thomas O'Loughlin noted in his 2011 book - The Didache: a window on the earliest Christians - similarities between the Didache's 'Two Ways' and passages in Matthew & Mark -
  • O'Loughlin T. The Didache a window on the earliest Christians 2.JPG
    O'Loughlin T. The Didache a window on the earliest Christians 2.JPG (79.5 KiB) Viewed 13161 times
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote:Didache passages are associated with a wide range of other texts. From wikipedia -

Didache 'Early References' -
The section Two Ways shares the same language with the Epistle of Barnabas, chapters 18–20, sometimes word for word, sometimes added to, dislocated, or abridged, and Barnabas iv, 9 either derives from Didache, 16, 2–3, or vice versa. There can also be seen many similarities to the Epistles of both Polycarp and Ignatius of Antioch.The Shepherd of Hermas seems to reflect it, and Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, and Origen of Alexandria also seem to use the work, and so in the West do Optatus and the Gesta apud Zenophilum. The Didascalia Apostolorum are founded upon the Didache. The Apostolic Church-Ordinances has used a part, the Apostolic Constitutions have embodied the Didascalia. There are echoes in Justin Martyr, Tatian, Theophilus of Antioch, Cyprian, and Lactantius.
It is my suspicion that didactic documents such as the Didache provided much teaching material that was later put onto the lips of Jesus. A good example is Didache 16, an apocalyptic prediction attributed to no one in particular, but which finds many parallels in the Olivet discourse of Matthew 24-25, Mark 13, and Luke 21.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

The ending to the Didache (and thus to the apocalyptic section of chapter 16) has been lost in Codex Hierosolymitanus:

16.6 And then shall appear the signs of the truth; first the sign of the appearance in heaven, then the sign of the sound of the trumpet, and thirdly the resurrection of the dead 7 -- not of all, but as it has been said, The Lord shall come and all his saints with him; 8 then shall the world behold the Lord coming on the clouds of heaven....

But both sermon XV (De Abrenuntiatione in Baptismate) of Pseudo-Boniface and its sibling text in Codex Palatinus Latinus 485 offer parallels to the Didache, ending as follows:

Believe in the advent of Christ, the resurrection of the body, and the judgment of all men. For then the impious shall be separated from the just, the one for the everlasting fire, the others for the eternal life. Then begins a life with God without death, a light without shadows, a health without sickness, a plenty without hunger, a happiness without fear, a joy with no misgivings. Then comes the eternal glory, in which the just shall shine like suns, for no eye has ever seen, no ear has ever heard, no heart has ever dreamed, of all that which God has prepared for those whom he loves.

This is a possible ending to the Didache; if so, it is also possible that the final line, "no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart has dreamed of all that God has prepared for those whom he loves," was a very early part of Christian didactic materials, and was actually quoted by Paul in 1 Corinthians 2.9 (where he specifically says he is quoting something).

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Ben C. Smith wrote:The ending to the Didache (and thus to the apocalyptic section of chapter 16) has been lost in Codex Hierosolymitanus:

16.6 And then shall appear the signs of the truth; first the sign of the appearance in heaven, then the sign of the sound of the trumpet, and thirdly the resurrection of the dead 7 -- not of all, but as it has been said, The Lord shall come and all his saints with him; 8 then shall the world behold the Lord coming on the clouds of heaven....

But both sermon XV (De Abrenuntiatione in Baptismate) of Pseudo-Boniface and its sibling text in Codex Palatinus Latinus 485 offer parallels to the Didache, ending as follows:

Believe in the advent of Christ, the resurrection of the body, and the judgment of all men. For then the impious shall be separated from the just, the one for the everlasting fire, the others for the eternal life. Then begins a life with God without death, a light without shadows, a health without sickness, a plenty without hunger, a happiness without fear, a joy with no misgivings. Then comes the eternal glory, in which the just shall shine like suns, for no eye has ever seen, no ear has ever heard, no heart has ever dreamed, of all that which God has prepared for those whom he loves.

This is a possible ending to the Didache; if so, it is also possible that the final line, "no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart has dreamed of all that God has prepared for those whom he loves," was a very early part of Christian didactic materials, and was actually quoted by Paul in 1 Corinthians 2.9 (where he specifically says he is quoting something).

Ben.
Did you mean to say that that Paul may have quoted the Didache? Or perhaps quoted something much like it, at least in this part, such as a common source? We also have a two-ways narrative very similar to the one in the Didache in Barnabas.

From the standpoint of my own POV*, it seems that 2:9a is a quote, with 2:9b being an aside to the quote, and these two represent a unit.

IMHO, 2:9a-b do not seem to relate well to my proposed interpolations, but does seem related to, but not essential to, the text in the preceding column. So 2:9a-b could well be original to "Paul", or just as easily could be a gloss by a copyist.

DCH

*FYI Only. I find the passages and parts of passages in the column marked "Interpolations proposed" to be a kind of commentary to the text that I had left in the preceding column.

Προς Κορινθίους Α΄ (NA 27th ed)
1 Corinthians (RSV, with changes required by this analysis)
Interpolations, proposed by myself, that appears to hijack the original text to left.
2:1 Κἀγὼ ἐλθὼν πρὸς ὑμᾶς, ἀδελφοί, ἦλθον οὐ καθ᾽ ὑπεροχὴν λόγου ἢ σοφίας καταγγέλλων ὑμῖν τὸ *μυστήριον* τοῦ θεοῦ. 2:1 When I came to you, brethren, I did not come proclaiming to you the *mystery* of God in lofty words or wisdom. 2:1 […]
2:2 οὐ γὰρ ἔκρινά τι εἰδέναι ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ μὴ Ἰησοῦν Χριστὸν καὶ τοῦτον ἐσταυρωμένον. 2:2a For I decided to know nothing among you […] 2:2b […] except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
2:3 κἀγὼ ἐν ἀσθενείᾳ καὶ ἐν φόβῳ καὶ ἐν τρόμῳ πολλῷ ἐγενόμην πρὸς ὑμᾶς, 2:3 And I was with you in weakness and in much fear and trembling; 2:3 […]
2:4 καὶ ὁ λόγος μου καὶ τὸ κήρυγμά μου οὐκ ἐν *πειθοῖ[ς] σοφίας [λόγοις]* ἀλλ᾽ ἐν ἀποδείξει πνεύματος καὶ δυνάμεως, 2:4 and my speech and my message were not in *persuasive words of wisdom*, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 2:4 […]
2:5 ἵνα ἡ πίστις ὑμῶν μὴ ᾖ ἐν σοφίᾳ ἀνθρώπων ἀλλ᾽ ἐν δυνάμει θεοῦ. 2:5 […] 2:5 that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
2:6 Σοφίαν δὲ λαλοῦμεν ἐν τοῖς τελείοις, σοφίαν δὲ οὐ τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου οὐδὲ τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου τῶν καταργουμένων· 2:6 […] 2:6 Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away.
2:7 ἀλλὰ λαλοῦμεν θεοῦ σοφίαν ἐν μυστηρίῳ τὴν ἀποκεκρυμμένην, ἣν προώρισεν ὁ θεὸς πρὸ τῶν αἰώνων εἰς δόξαν ἡμῶν, 2:7b […] which God decreed before the ages for our glorification. 2:7a But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, […]
2:8 ἣν οὐδεὶς τῶν ἀρχόντων τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου ἔγνωκεν· εἰ γὰρ ἔγνωσαν, οὐκ ἂν τὸν κύριον τῆς δόξης ἐσταύρωσαν. 2:8 […] 2:8 None of the rulers of this age understood this; for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
2:9a ἀλλὰ καθὼς γέγραπται· ἃ ὀφθαλμὸς οὐκ εἶδεν καὶ οὖς οὐκ ἤκουσεν (Isa 64:3 OG) 2:9a But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard," (Isa 64:4 RSV) 2:9a […]
2:9b καὶ ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἀνέβη, 2:9b nor the heart of man conceived, 2:9b […]
2:9c ἃ ἡτοίμασεν ὁ θεὸς τοῖς ἀγαπῶσιν αὐτόν. 2:9c what God has prepared for those who love him, 2:9b […]
2:10 ἡμῖν *δὲ* ἀπεκάλυψεν ὁ θεὸς διὰ τοῦ πνεύματος· τὸ γὰρ πνεῦμα πάντα ἐραυνᾷ, καὶ τὰ βάθη τοῦ θεοῦ. 2:10 *but* God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 2:10 […]
2:11 τίς γὰρ οἶδεν ἀνθρώπων τὰ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου εἰ μὴ τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ ἀνθρώπου τὸ ἐν αὐτῷ; οὕτως καὶ τὰ τοῦ θεοῦ οὐδεὶς ἔγνωκεν εἰ μὴ τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ θεοῦ. 2:11 For what person knows a man's thoughts except the spirit of the man which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 2:11 […]
2:12 ἡμεῖς δὲ οὐ τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ κόσμου ἐλάβομεν ἀλλὰ τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ, ἵνα εἰδῶμεν τὰ ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ χαρισθέντα ἡμῖν· 2:12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. 2:12 […]
2:13 ἃ καὶ λαλοῦμεν οὐκ ἐν διδακτοῖς ἀνθρωπίνης σοφίας λόγοις ἀλλ᾽ ἐν διδακτοῖς πνεύματος, πνευματικοῖς πνευματικὰ συγκρίνοντες. 2:13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who possess the Spirit. 2:13 […]
2:14 ψυχικὸς δὲ ἄνθρωπος οὐ δέχεται τὰ τοῦ πνεύματος *τοῦ θεοῦ*, μωρία γὰρ αὐτῷ ἐστιν καὶ οὐ δύναται γνῶναι, ὅτι πνευματικῶς ἀνακρίνεται. 2:14 The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 2:14 […]
2:15 ὁ δὲ πνευματικὸς ἀνακρίνει *[τὰ] πάντα*, αὐτὸς δὲ ὑπ᾽ οὐδενὸς ἀνακρίνεται. 2:15 The spiritual man judges *all things*, but is himself to be judged by no one. 2:15 […]
2:16a τίς γὰρ ἔγνω νοῦν κυρίου, ὃς συμβιβάσει αὐτόν; (Isa 40:13) 2:16a "For who has known the mind of the LORD so as to instruct him?" (Isa 40:13) 2:16a […]
2:16b ἡμεῖς δὲ νοῦν Χριστοῦ ἔχομεν. 2:16b […] 2:16b But we have the mind of Christ.

Them asterisks (*) represent parts of passages where there is a fair degree of textual variety.