Biblindex is Working Again

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Biblindex is Working Again

Post by Secret Alias »

To hell with explaining this to people. If you can't figure out the title of the thread you're not going to care. http://www.biblindex.info/citation_biblique/?lang=en
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Biblindex is Working Again

Post by Peter Kirby »

Good news, thanks
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

It would be helpful if it would be clearer in its pointing of where to go to find the citations that it gives.

For example, for John 21, it points to:
Papias Hierapolitanus
Explanationes uerborum dominicorum (1) (p.138, l.4) BP1
Date: ca.101 - ca.150
Genre: -
Theme: Exegesis, Scripture Commentaries
Clavis: 1047
Biblio:
FUNK F.X., BIHLMEYER K., Die apostolischen Väter, Neubearbeitung der Funkschen Ausgabe, 2e éd., Tübingen 1956, 133-140.

So then I go look at Papias' work online, which is 10 sections long and I don't see any direct quotations of John 21.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0125.htm

Besides that, it isn't clear to me where exactly the database is pointing me to inside the work.
For example, does " l.4 BP1" mean Book 1, chapter 4, or Chapter 1, verse 4?
Either way, I don't see it.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

It doesn't work. The search button remains greyed out no matter what I choose in the "Corpus of ancient author(s) to be investigated" section.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Worked for me. Must have child-proof mechanism activated.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

davidbrainerd wrote:It doesn't work. The search button remains greyed out no matter what I choose in the "Corpus of ancient author(s) to be investigated" section.
You have to play around with it a ton. It's tricky. You have to fill in everything even the dots the "perfect" way. It's extremely picky.
If it came with a guide book it would be easier.
I did get it to work and its a great database, but... like I wrote earlier, I can't figure out exactly what it is pointing to. :/

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

rakovsky wrote:It would be helpful if it would be clearer in its pointing of where to go to find the citations that it gives.

For example, for John 21, it points to:
Papias Hierapolitanus
Explanationes uerborum dominicorum (1) (p.138, l.4) BP1
Date: ca.101 - ca.150
Genre: -
Theme: Exegesis, Scripture Commentaries
Clavis: 1047
Biblio:
FUNK F.X., BIHLMEYER K., Die apostolischen Väter, Neubearbeitung der Funkschen Ausgabe, 2e éd., Tübingen 1956, 133-140.

So then I go look at Papias' work online, which is 10 sections long and I don't see any direct quotations of John 21.
You have to look at the correct version, which is given above. I highlighted it for you. The relevant fragments appear on pages 133-140 of that work, and you can see from the "hit" that the fragment you want is on page 138 specifically. If you do not have access to that book, then it will be more difficult for you, I myself do not usually have access to that version of Papias' fragments, so when I use Biblindex I have to apply a bit of savvy, and even then it does not always work. My best guess in this case is that the allusion is based on Jesus calling the disciples "children" in John 21.5, which corresponds to a preserved fragment from Maximus the Confessor, Scholia on Dionysius the Areopagite, On the Ecclesiastical Heirarchy 2 (Lightfoot-Holmes fragment 15; Roberts-Donaldson fragment 2): "They would call children those who practiced no evil according to God, as Papias makes clear in the first book of the Exegeses of the Lord, along with Clement the Alexandrian in the Pedagogue." But I may be wrong.

(It is important to note that Biblindex includes allusions or parallels as well as direct quotes. Of course you will not find a direct quote of the gospel of John in Papias; our extant fragments of Papias contain no direct quotes of any extant gospels, and mention only two of them by name: Mark and Matthew, assuming these are the same texts that we now possess by those titles, which is not necessarily clear. Possible allusions are all that we have.)

Biblindex is a tool for scholars at universities with complete libraries. If you are not a scholar, or if you are not at such a university, then it may take some doing to use it properly.
davidbrainerd wrote:It doesn't work. The search button remains greyed out no matter what I choose in the "Corpus of ancient author(s) to be investigated" section.
You have to click the + key in each section to add your selections to the search.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

Thanks for writing Ben.

The form looks defective at the moment. It requires you to pick "3.Corpus of ancient author(s) to be investigated"
One possibility is:

3.c Date(s) selection : every works written between : _______ and _______

Two problems. First, It doesn't let me put in anything below 100 on the left blank.
Second, there is no + sign on the right, so there is no way to search based on date.

rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

What do you type into the DATES section in case you want to search all writings made before 100 AD, such as 1 Clement and the Didache?
It says:
Date(s) selection : every works written between : ____________ and______________

When I put in 50 on the left hand, it doesn't let me put in anything higher than 99 on the right hand. And even when I do that, it doesn't bring up any results, despite the fact that this same database lists 1 Clement as having a starting date of c. 95 AD.