Is Jesus's "getting angry" in Papyrus Egerton 2 the same greek word "ὀργισθεὶς" as the textual variant of Mark 1:41?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
toejam

Is Jesus's "getting angry" in Papyrus Egerton 2 the same greek word "ὀργισθεὶς" as the textual variant of Mark 1:41?

Post by toejam »

Mark 1:41 contains an infamous textual variant. Jesus's response to a leper's begging to be healed is described in some manuscripts as σπλαγχνισθεὶς (being moved with compassion), and in other manuscripts as ὀργισθεὶς (becoming angry).

I'm looking at English translations of Papyrus Egerton 2's scene where Jesus is asked about paying taxes and it also describes Jesus as "becoming angry". I can't find a greek text of the fragment however. Does anyone know, does Papyrus Egerton 2 use the same word ὀργισθεὶς as in the Markan textual variant?
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: Is Jesus's "getting angry" in Papyrus Egerton 2 the same greek word "ὀργισθεὶς" as the textual variant of Mark 1:41?

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Perhaps you mean this verse?
Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:29 pm
Egerton Gospel
Information
Fragment 2 Recto
1 [................ παραγε-]
9 τοις ἢ μ̣[ή;] ὁ δὲ Ἰη(σοῦς) εἰδὼς [τὴν δι-]
10 άνοιαν [αὐτ]ῶν ἐμβρειμ[ησάμενος]
11 εἴπεν α[ὐτοῖς·] τί με καλεῖτ[ε τῷ στό-]
Fragment 2 Recto
1 [................ having ar-]
9 (it) to
em or n[ot?] But Je(sus) knew [the]ir
10 [m]ind and became enrag[ed] and
11 said [to] t[hem,] "Why do yo[ú] call me [te]acher[/td]

toejam

Re: Is Jesus's "getting angry" in Papyrus Egerton 2 the same greek word "ὀργισθεὶς" as the textual variant of Mark 1:41?

Post by toejam »

So that's a NO then...
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm .
Perhaps you mean this verse?
Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:29 pm
Egerton Gospel
Information
Fragment 2 Recto
1 [................ παραγε-]
9 τοις ἢ μ̣[ή;] ὁ δὲ Ἰη(σοῦς) εἰδὼς [τὴν δι-]
10 άνοιαν [αὐτ]ῶν ἐμβρειμ[ησάμενος]
11 εἴπεν α[ὐτοῖς·] τί με καλεῖτ[ε τῷ στό-]
Fragment 2 Recto
1 [................ having ar-]
9 (it) to
em or n[ot?] But Je(sus) knew [the]ir
10 [m]ind and became enrag[ed] and
11 said [to] t[hem,] "Why do yo[ú] call me [te]acher[/td]

Sorry for the awful formatting there, Kunigunde. The recent changes to the forum activated some codes that were not in effect before, making nonsense of some of my tables. I have fixed that page, and quite a few others; if you find any more of my pages with weird formatting like that, please feel free to let me know. The changes are quick and easy.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ