Didn't Know This Was Controversial - Schools Get Rid of BC and AD

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
spin

Re: Didn't Know This Was Controversial - Schools Get Rid of BC and AD

Post by spin »

:banghead:
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Sometimes, BC is even controversial for Christians:

https://youtu.be/psGLXqW1kUs
iskander

Post by iskander »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm One way of looking at it would be to interpret the evidently deeply offended religious "conservatives" as an indication that the BC/AD label did indeed serve an ideological agenda and therefore should indeed be banished.
Common era means the same as AD , but with one difference , namely : common era is an arrogant imprecise statement.

AD is fixing the year one on the occurrence of a chosen event , which is taken as important enough to signify the beginning of a new era for some.

The roman calendar started counting from the foundation of Rome. The Islamic calendar employs the Hijri era ...
The Jewish calendar is the only one common to all humanity.

Why your odd reaction to AD and BC?
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 am The Jewish calendar is the only one common to all humanity.
What?
iskander

Post by iskander »

Ulan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 am
iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 am The Jewish calendar is the only one common to all humanity.
What?

" In the century following the fall of Jerusalem (AD 70), certain Jewish scholars took the date 3761/3760 BC and assigned it to the time described in Genesis 1 and 2. Thus, the Jews preserved the correct date for calendar calculation but mistakenly associated it with Creation week."
https://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseactio ... lendar.htm
spin

Post by spin »

iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 am
neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm One way of looking at it would be to interpret the evidently deeply offended religious "conservatives" as an indication that the BC/AD label did indeed serve an ideological agenda and therefore should indeed be banished.
Common era means the same as AD , but with one difference , namely : common era is an arrogant imprecise statement.
Certainly not. Christ was born in 4 before Christ was born in 4 before Christ. So AD began in 4 before Christ. Or should we simply admit that the AD/BC thingy is just erroneous and we fix it...
iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 amAD is fixing the year one on the occurrence of a chosen event , which is taken as important enough to signify the beginning of a new era for some.
Well, that's the theory, but it is simply wrong. Herod was alive when Christ was born. Herod died 4 years before the BC/AD change over. BCE/CE simply doesn't entail the error.
iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 amThe roman calendar started counting from the foundation of Rome. The Islamic calendar employs the Hijri era ...
The Jewish calendar is the only one common to all humanity.
That is plain nonsense.
iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 amWhy your odd reaction to AD and BC?
Contrary reactions to the christian biased terms BC & AD are certainly not odd. The rest of the world mainly uses the western dating convention. This is because of the one time hegemony of the west, which in turn carried christian zeal to the rest of the world. We are a somewhat more enlightened world in respect to oecumenical issues. Using BC/AD purveys christian values in a multi-religious and non-religious world. BCE/CE does not. It is neutral terminology which causes no problems to anyone across the globe who accepts that there are other points of view than a dead christian hegemony.
spin

Post by spin »

iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am
What?

" In the century following the fall of Jerusalem (AD 70), certain Jewish scholars took the date 3761/3760 BC and assigned it to the time described in Genesis 1 and 2. Thus, the Jews preserved the correct date for calendar calculation but mistakenly associated it with Creation week."
The site is confessional. It doesn't set out to be meaningful to anyone outside the faith it supports. The views expressed in the page you linked to are not based on Genesis but on much later eisegesis.
Last edited by spin on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

What?
This still doesn't make it "common to all humanity". My Chinese and my Indian friends wouldn't be the only ones to deny that. The only calendar that is in common use, even if only for official business, is the Christian one.

To be honest, I thought you were making some kind of joke that I didn't get. It looks as if you were serious :scratch:
iskander

Post by iskander »

Ulan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:56 am
What?
This still doesn't make it "common to all humanity". My Chinese and my Indian friends wouldn't be the only ones to deny that. The only calendar that is in common use, even if only for official business, is the Christian one.

To be honest, I thought you were making some kind of joke that I didn't get. It looks as if you were serious :scratch:
the calendar of different cultures begin on a date of significance to a particular culture and only to them. Some calendars have starting dates which seem to be earlier than others. The Jewish calendar is associated by some with the creation of the world and hence ' common era' includes the eras of any other culture. Common era is an arrogant and imprecise statement

Other cultures have different calendars which are as good as any other calendar from any different culture. I would have used the Chinese or the Indian calendars for an illustration, but I did not explicitly remember them.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am Common era is an arrogant and imprecise statement
It's definitely not imprecise, and I do not necessarily see any arrogance behind the statement. It's the common calendar that is used in business and science all over the world. It's a de facto standard, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.