On the silence of 2century apologists

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: On the silence of 2century apologists

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon and Jax, is the proposition on the table simply that Christianity started as a Greek/Hellenistic sect, with little to no Jewish/Semitic influence at all, and only later spread to Jewish/Semitic people groups?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 pm .
The suggestion is that Pauline/Hellenistic Christianity thrived away from the ruins, as it were, while the Jerusalem group faded away.
In a way, it sort of depends what sort of group you're expecting to find evidence for.

Is there any indication where that Pauline/Hellenistic Christianity thrived?
archibald

Post by archibald »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm Is there any indication where that Pauline/Hellenistic Christianity thrived?
Is that a serious question?

Rome, Antioch, Alexandria, Syria, Greece, Turkey......the sorts of places the early church fathers came from or wrote from.
archibald

Post by archibald »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm MrMacSon and Jax, is the proposition on the table simply that Christianity started as a Greek/Hellenistic sect, with little to no Jewish/Semitic influence at all, and only later spread to Jewish/Semitic people groups?
Seems like it.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 pm
MrMacSon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm Is there any indication where that Pauline/Hellenistic Christianity thrived?

Rome, Antioch, Alexandria, Syria, Greece, Turkey......the sorts of places the early church fathers came from or wrote from.
Yes, we have accounts about where the early church fathers came from or wrote from.

What accounts of church communities in those places in those times do we have? What accounts of church communities do the church fathers provide?
archibald

Post by archibald »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm
archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, we have accounts about where the early church fathers came from or wrote from.

What accounts of church communities in those places in those times do we have? What accounts of church communities do the church fathers provide?
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding the question. You think maybe church leaders were writing from these places when there were no christians other than them, the writers, there?

Clement, for example, apparently wrote to the christian community in Corinth, to address a dispute among presbyters.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:49 pm ... You think maybe church leaders were writing from these places when there were no Christians other than them, the writers, there?
No, I'm thinking Christian church fathers would be part of Christian communities, and would have written about their communities.

archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:49 pm Clement, for example, apparently wrote to the christian community in Corinth, to address a dispute among presbyters.
Are you aware of Clement writing to or about Christians in his community?
archibald

Post by archibald »

I only used Clement as one example. I am not here to spoon feed you at every turn. What is your alternative version of The Spread of Christianity?

I think you need to cough up what exactly you're getting at here. I am not the only one who has read your posts as suggesting you doubt if Christianity had Judean Jewish origins.
archibald

Post by archibald »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:55 pm No, I'm thinking Christian church fathers would be part of Christian communities, and would have written about their communities.
Why? Do you write letters to your own family that live with you? Clement (apparently) wrote to another community. Point is, that would appear to be evidence for that other community, which is what you were seeking. He probably had to write a letter because it was another community quite a long way away, otherwise he could have preached to them using words from his mouth, with the sound going directly into their ears. :)
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm
MrMacSon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:55 pm No, I'm thinking Christian church fathers would be part of Christian communities, and would have written about their communities.
Clement (apparently) wrote to another community. Point is, that would appear to be evidence for that other community, which is what you were seeking.
No, evidence for an other community was not what I was seeking. I was seeking information about a record about 'Clement's own community', or about other church fathers' own communities.

archibald wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm Do you write letters to your own family that live with you?
Writing letters to family members (in the same vicinity) is different to writing or developing sermons for one's community, or writing accounts about how the community was faring.