My review of Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
archibald

Re: My review of Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus"

Post by archibald »

Yes. I could have added 'using bayseian probabilities for ancient history' or 'bayseian probabilities as used by Carrier'.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

I am not impressed. That seems to be excessively literal-minded. If one interpreted Lord Raglan's hero profile like that for other legendary heroes, then it would be hard for anyone to have a high score.
The difference between me and Carrier is, when the gMark or gMatthew Jesus meets a point of the Rank-Raglan scale with a 10% agreement, I score a 0 but Carrier scores a 1.
I would score a 1 if the agreement is at least 50%.
Long ago, on one of Carrier blogs (http://richardcarrier.blogspot.ca/2010/ ... lgary.html ), I did a Rank-Raglan scoring of Romulus, Hercules and Jesus (according to gMark).
I found respectively 15.5, 14, 6.5 (in these days, I used fractional numbers which take in account on how close a hero's attributes meet each point of the scale).
I since increased gMark score to 8, because Jesus as "Son of God" in very close to son of a king.

So here we are. Using the same criteria, I did score legendary heroes more than Jesus according to gMark but close to my scoring according to gMatthew (13). However gMatthew was written later than gMark, so there are more myths (and also because gMatthew "covers" the conception up to the early years of Jesus).

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
JGC

Post by JGC »

Mr. "Hendrix"
I, and probably many others, would appreciate it if you would upload your reviews of Carrier on Internet Archive so that they could be downloaded freely.
best
JGC