How does the mythical Jesus thing hang together?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Kapyong

Re: How does the mythical Jesus thing hang together?

Post by Kapyong »

Gday all :)
neilgodfrey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm Oh my goodness. No, you are quite correct. I cannot prove to you that there are no fairies at the bottom of my garden. Sheer dogmatism on my part.
It's a strange world - I just saw this story about the resurgence of the Fairy Investigation Society :

The rise, fall and rebirth of the Fairy Investigation Society.

Apparently the internet has been a boon to collecting stories about fairies / faeries.

Although it has still not yet produced a better picture than this classic that fooled Sir Arthur Conan Doyle :

Kapyong
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Kapyong wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm Gday all :)
neilgodfrey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm Oh my goodness. No, you are quite correct. I cannot prove to you that there are no fairies at the bottom of my garden. Sheer dogmatism on my part.
It's a strange world - I just saw this story about the resurgence of the Fairy Investigation Society :

The rise, fall and rebirth of the Fairy Investigation Society.

Apparently the internet has been a boon to collecting stories about fairies / faeries.

Although it has still not yet produced a better picture than this classic that fooled Sir Arthur Conan Doyle :

Kapyong
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm
Adler wrote:But the denial that the immaterial exists cannot be proved. Therefore when it is asserted it is sheer dogmatism
It's not about "proving" anything. It's about testing and falsifying and riding with what we have provisionally been able to establish and that works -- until we find new tests and falsifications lead us to new hypotheses.
Is there any way to test/falsify that Lucian of Samosata was a historical rather than a mythical person?

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/lucian.html
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

arnoldo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 am
Giuseppe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 am Strictly speaking, Jesus is mythical even in the Gospels and in the books of the Fathers of the Church, in the books of heretics as Marcion and the Gnostics, since in all these books you have a hero who does miracles.
So if someone alive today performs a miracle they are mythical?
What contradictory nonsense!! If someone is alive today they cannot be a myth at the same time.

Now, based on your absurdity, if Adam did not perform any miracles in the Christian Bible stories then he was a figure of history.

By the way did Romulus and Remus perform miracles when they were "alive" in the writings attributed to Plutarch?

Jesus in the Christian Bible was never ever a figure of history just like all the 12 disciples, his mother [ the virgin Mary] and Paul.
pavurcn

Post by pavurcn »

arnoldo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:15 pm From a materialistic perspective this makes sense.
Adler wrote: But the denial that the immaterial exists cannot be proved. Therefore when it is asserted it is sheer dogmatism
Hardly. The meaning of an assertion, the force of an assertion, the truth or falsity of an assertion, the assent or withholding of assent to an assertion--these are all immaterial, experienced, enacted. One must make a reasonable judgment about what one is actually doing in making or denying assent. It is therefore not sheer dogmatism but a reasonable conclusion based on experiential evidence. Assent is not a material thing. It is not an atom or a quark or a string. Materialism manifestly fails.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

hakeem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:42 pm
arnoldo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 am
Giuseppe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 am Strictly speaking, Jesus is mythical even in the Gospels and in the books of the Fathers of the Church, in the books of heretics as Marcion and the Gnostics, since in all these books you have a hero who does miracles.
So if someone alive today performs a miracle they are mythical?
What contradictory nonsense!! If someone is alive today they cannot be a myth at the same time.

Now, based on your absurdity, if Adam did not perform any miracles in the Christian Bible stories then he was a figure of history.

By the way did Romulus and Remus perform miracles when they were "alive" in the writings attributed to Plutarch?

Jesus in the Christian Bible was never ever a figure of history just like all the 12 disciples, his mother [ the virgin Mary] and Paul.
Eventually, somebody had to be historical for the gospel message to come into existence. Any idea whodunit?
gmx

Post by gmx »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:16 pm
gmx wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:33 am This theory requires that our NT has an alternative genesis and developmental history from the one described by the church and mainstream Christian scholarship. But doesn't the argument from silence apply equally well to this alternative history? That history (if it existed) has also left very few fingerprints for modern scholars to dust.
There is indeed evidence (not silence or absence of evidence) for the sources of the gospel narratives of Jesus' life and sayings. We can see the literary origins of many of the stories in the Old Testament. I think there is very little doubt that the miracles of Elijah, Elisha, Moses and others are the sources of many of the stories about Jesus. The evidence that the gospel Jesus was invented is on a par with the evidence that Rome's Aeneas was invented out of the stories of Homer.

... [deleted sections]

In the case of Jesus all our sources are arguably ultimately from "Christianity" itself -- they are not independent, they do not always corroborate each other even though not independent, and they are by unknown persons written for unknown reasons to unknown audiences.
Unknown persons, reasons and audiences does suggest a lot of silence / absence of evidence, does it not? Yet somehow, by the fourth century, Christianity is the state religion of the Roman Empire, but we can't get much of a read on it before that point in time. I think silence is a fair description. You obviously disagree.

And yes, I can definitely agree that the gospel writers found inspiration for their narrative in the OT, but that doesn't contradict historicity (in my view). It is compatible with the traditional view of a historical Jesus, whose followers believed him to be the messiah, and subsequent generations sought to evidence that claim via fullfilment of the scriptures.

And by way of disclosure, I haven't formed a view on historical vs myth. I'm just trying to understand the arguments, in my naive way.

Neil, I am interested in your view of one of the other points / questions in the OP.
If the epistles are unaware of Jesus' life of earth, because it hasn't been invented yet, then who wrote the deutero-Pauline epistles and why? What was the purpose of pretending to be Paul in the pre-historical-Jesus/pre-Gospel era? Or are we saying that there was genuine Paul, then Gospels, then deutero-Paul, and deutero-Paul was so expertly forged as to resist the temptation to include "evidence" from the gospels?
I think from your other reply, I can infer that your answer is "we don't know and we have no way of knowing", but anyway...
Last edited by gmx on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I saw a Naked girl ,Slowly emerge in front of me,Greek hairstyle,Very beautiful,She has a beautiful [fine] profile.; She is fine in profile. the view of profile,hard to tell.
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

arnoldo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm
Eventually, somebody had to be historical for the gospel message to come into existence. Any idea whodunit?
Any idea who actually invented the story that the God of the Jews was the Creator ? Whodunit?

The Jewish religion was not started by God Creator.

Any idea who first started to worship stones as God? Whodunit?

Stone God worship was not started by stones.

Any idea who first manufactured the story that Romulus was a God?

It wasn't Romulus.

The Jesus character and story were all invented just like the Jewish religion and those of the Greeks and Romans.

Justin's First Apology ---
And when we say also that the Word, who is the first-birth of God, was produced without sexual union, and that He, Jesus Christ, our Teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter.

Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Even if the gospels are unreliable, there is enough evidence in Paul's epistles to allow a historian (a la Neil) to be sure that Jesus existed as a man on earth in the near past (relative to Paul's times), and ending his life as crucified. His existence is corroborated by Tacitus & Josephus' Ant. 20.
And for the gospels, being unreliable does not mean they have to be rejected whole (the same goes for Acts).

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

gmx wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 pm
... Yet somehow, by the fourth century, Christianity is the state religion of the Roman Empire, but we can't get much of a read on it before that point in time. I think silence is a fair description ...
I do too. I think Christianity being made the religion of the resurgent Roman Empire, centred in a new capital in the east -- Byzantium/Constantinople -- has similar parallels to Ptolemy Soter I developing the cult of Serapis as a means to unify the Greeks and Egyptians in his realm after the death of Alexander the Great in the 4th to 3rd centuries BC/BCE.