Zeus is the Jewish God.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Re: Zeus is the Jewish God.

Post by Ethan »

Seven is an interesting word, in Latin SEPTUM , Greek EPTA or EBDOM and Phoenician, SHEBA ( Shebta) , We get the
word Sabbath from here, note that September was the original Seventh month , counting from March.

March(1)
April(2)
May(3)
June(4)
July(5)
August(6)
September(7) = Sabbath-Month * Gen 2:2
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

Let's look at Hebrew and Arabic personal pronouns. Appendix:Hebrew pronouns - Wiktionary, Arabic subject & object pronouns (الضمائر العربية), Arabic possessive pronouns (ضمائر الملكية)

Both languages have two forms of these pronouns: standalone or subject, and suffixed or object. The standalone ones are used as subjects, while the suffixed ones are used as objects of prepositions, objects of verbs, and as possessors -- the same way in both languages. Here is a comparison of Hebrew and Arabic ones. Standalone, then suffixed.
  • 1s ... ani, anokhi ... ana
  • 2sm ... ata ... anta
  • 2sf ... at ... anti
  • 3sm ... hu ... howwa
  • 3sf ... hi ... heyya
  • 1p ... anakhnu, anu ... naHnu
  • 2pm ... atem ... antum
  • 2pf ... aten ... antunna
  • 3pm ... hem ... homa
  • 3pf ... hen ... hunna
  • 1s ... -i ... -ni (obj) -i (poss)
  • 2sm ... -kha, -ekha ... -ka
  • 2sf ... -akh, -ekh ... -ki
  • 3sm ... -o ... -u
  • 3sf ... -ah ... -ha
  • 1p ... -anu, -enu ... -na
  • 2pm ... -khem ... -kum
  • 2pf ... -khen ... -kunna
  • 3pm ... -am ... -hum
  • 3pf ... -an ... -hunna
In most Indo-European languages, the personal pronouns have no suffix forms, but instead had noun-case standalone forms. I'll give the reconstructed ancestral nominative and oblique-case stems:
  • 1s ... *ego- ... *me-
  • 2s ... *tu- .... *te-
  • 1p ... *we- ... *nos-, *ns-
  • 2p ... *yu- ... *wos-, *us-
Proto-Indo-European had no third-person pronouns. Instead, it used demonstratives ("this" and "that"), and those are rather difficult to reconstruct.

It's rather evident that Indo-European and Semitic personal pronouns have very little in common. So Greek is descended from some earlier Indo-European language, not from Phoenician/Hebrew.
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

Ethan wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm Words and Order
(quotes with no explanation snipped) Ethan, you don't even bother to try to show that Greek noun cases are derived from Hebrew, let alone Greek verb inflections from Hebrew ones.
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

Ethan wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:52 pm Seven is an interesting word, in Latin SEPTUM , Greek EPTA or EBDOM and Phoenician, SHEBA ( Shebta) , We get the
word Sabbath from here, note that September was the original Seventh month , counting from March.
Seventh month in the early Roman calendar.

BTW, the Latin word is "septem".

As to the similarity between Indo-European and Semitic words for "six" and "seven", some early borrowings have long been suspected.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Your using an hypothetical PIE language, I am using the real languages, Hebrew & Greek.

An example was given in Ecclesiastes 1:12
- ἐγὼ(אני ) Ἐκκλησιαστὴς(קהלת ) " I, Kohelet

אנכה , אני , אנה
ἐγώ: Pronoun of the first person - ἐγών, ἰών , ἐγώγε * נ/γ
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

Ethan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:26 am Your using an hypothetical PIE language, I am using the real languages, Hebrew & Greek.
That's no excuse for shoddy methodology. BTW, I can cite lots of real languages in connection with Indo-European and Semitic, and I have done so. Why is Greek more recognizably similar to other members of the Indo-European family than to Hebrew? Why is Hebrew more recognizably similar to Arabic than to any member of the Indo-European family?
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

The problem is that theologians classified languages using the 'Sons of Noah' ,

Shem is the Son of Noah, Hebrew must be a Semitic language, that's the flawed logic and yet, Canaan is listed under 'Ham'

Isaiah 19:18 - Language of Canaan
Isaiah 36:11 - Language of Syria & Judea

Nehemiah 13:24
their children spake half in the speech of Ashdod, and could not speak in the Jews' language, but according to the language of each people.

Psalms 114:1
When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language;
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

Totally beside the point. Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Akkadian, and Ethiopian languages are classified as Semitic because of their resemblances to each other. The term Semitic is, of course, from Shem, and it's less long-winded than "Middle Eastern".

Also, Ethan, you still have not addressed the resemblances that I discussed. Why does Greek resemble English, Latin, Russian and Sanskrit much more than Hebrew? Why does Hebrew resemble Arabic much more than any of these?
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Sanskrit resembles Greek because Alexander the Great deposited colonies in Western India

Ancient Romans & Phoenicians have a long history together, Punic Wars, Phoenician colonies were also deposited around Sicily and Italy, , you assume the Phoenician colonies throughout the Mediterraneans vanished leaving no trace of it's culture behind?

There was a Greek colony in Elephantine, deposited during the reign of Pstamik I

They was a Greek colony in the Persian Gulf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failaka_Island
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikaros_(Failaka_Island)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characene

Colonies grow and become there own people.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ethan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:03 pm Sanskrit resembles Greek because Alexander the Great deposited colonies in Western India
What??
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ