Another Gematria ανομος μαρκος = 431

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Another Gematria ανομος μαρκος = 431

Post by Secret Alias »

Curious this one.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
lsayre

Re: Another Gematria ανομος μαρκος = 431

Post by lsayre »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:12 am Curious this one.
I give. What is the significance for this one?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Well I've always thought some tampering took place in the important passage:
To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law ... so as to win those under the law. To the lawless I became as a lawless one so as to win the lawless
I never understood why Jews and those under the law appear side by side here. Surely Jews = those under the law unless the latter signifies the proselytes.

But I think that is unnecessary. I find the "like a Jew" strange too. Either one is a Jew or one is not a Jew. The Jews are not "of a Jew" but "of Judah" or Judas in Greek. I wonder whether the original text read I appeared as Judas ... I appeared as a lawless one.

There is a docetic character to the passage smoothed over I fear by an orthodox redactor.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

On top of being worked over by a Catholic redactor, it looks as if several pesharim (likely initially placed into a margin) have been inserted into the text. See my bolding below.
20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.