History of the Koine Language

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Jax

History of the Koine Language

Post by Jax »

Can anyone here recommend a good book on the use/nature and or evolution of the Greek language from Alexander to the Byzantine era?

Thanks.

Λῆν
Ben C. Smith

Re: History of the Koine Language

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 am Can anyone here recommend a good book on the use/nature and or evolution of the Greek language from Alexander to the Byzantine era?

Thanks.

Λῆν
You may have to settle for a more comprehensive history of ancient Greek overall, with chapters dedicated to Koine. There are lots of books outlining the development of Greek, say, from Homeric or Mycenaean times up through late antiquity. I do not have any specific recommendations, though, since I have done no more than to skim any of them.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 am
Jax wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 am Can anyone here recommend a good book on the use/nature and or evolution of the Greek language from Alexander to the Byzantine era?

Thanks.

Λῆν
You may have to settle for a more comprehensive history of ancient Greek overall, with chapters dedicated to Koine. There are lots of books outlining the development of Greek, say, from Homeric or Mycenaean times up through late antiquity. I do not have any specific recommendations, though, since I have done no more than to skim any of them.
Shame. I would really like a better understanding of the Koine language.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Well, maybe try some of those broader treatments and scan the Koine chapters for footnotes; maybe they will point to books more dedicated to Koine on its own.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am Well, maybe try some of those broader treatments and scan the Koine chapters for footnotes; maybe they will point to books more dedicated to Koine on its own.
Standard practice. :thumbup:

Maybe I'll get lucky.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Huh! Guess they only need to sell a couple of these to recover their costs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all

I love that they have the balls to include shipping. Anyone want to go in on it with me?