Codex Sinaiticus - the white parchment Friderico-Augustanus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ulan

Re: Codex Sinaiticus - the white parchment Friderico-Augustanus

Post by Ulan »

Steven Avery wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:13 am
Ulan wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:44 amYou also forget about those parts of the manuscript which still had been stored in different parts of the monastery up to the year 2009..
Nothing you say makes sense. Are you talking about the New Finds of 1975 in the back dump room?
My post says 2009. Sinaiticus had been used by the monks as garbage parchment for fixing other books. It wouldn't be overly surprising if we saw more fragments show up in the coming years.
Steven Avery wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:13 am Your claim that the Brit stains corroborate Tischendorf's version (while Leipzig is unstained) is one of the dumbest Sinaiticus claims anyone has made, which jumps you over a very high bar.
At least we now know that you don't have any arguments. If you don't understand the connection between the points I made, I can't really help it. It's hard to get through to someone who is a staunch believer of his own truth.

Anyway, from the points you pick up from my posts and your last comment about the binding, you are aware of how this gels together into a concise explanation. You just don't like it.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Was reading Tommy Wassermann's Facebook page today. Steve's name came up. Lots of love for Steve in the academic community. :banghead:
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Steven Avery

Tischendorf rushes to Sinai concerned about the "stories told by Simonides" in 1859

Post by Steven Avery »

Tommy Wasserman wrote a generally very good article on the Mayer papyri and Simonides.

Simonides’ New Testament Papyri: Their Production and Purported Provenance - July 6, 2018 -
Tommy Wasserman
https://marginalia.lareviewofbooks.org/ ... rovenance/

There was a Facebook posting glitch that led to some confusion. No biggie.

The spot that needs closer examination is the intersection of Simonides and Sinaiticus and Tischendorf.

Some of the information that was not covered by Tommy Wasserman can be read here:

Tischendorf rushes to Sinai concerned about the "stories told by Simonides" in 1859
http://www.purebibleforum.com/showthrea ... 9#post1799

Why was Tischendorf concerned about Simonides when he was rushing to get the Sinaiticus ms. from Sinai?
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Ulan wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 pmMy post says 2009. Sinaiticus had been used by the monks as garbage parchment for fixing other books. It wouldn't be overly surprising if we saw more fragments show up in the coming years.
Are you talking about anything other than the Nikolas Sarris fragment, which has rather sketchy scholarship?
Ulan wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 pmAt least we now know that you don't have any arguments. If you don't understand the connection between the points I made, I can't really help it. It's hard to get through to someone who is a staunch believer of his own truth. Anyway, from the points you pick up from my posts and your last comment about the binding, you are aware of how this gels together into a concise explanation. You just don't like it.
As usual, I will skip responding to the unclear.
Maestroh

Post by Maestroh »

Steven Avery wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 pm
Ulan wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 pmMy post says 2009. Sinaiticus had been used by the monks as garbage parchment for fixing other books. It wouldn't be overly surprising if we saw more fragments show up in the coming years.
Are you talking about anything other than the Nikolas Sarris fragment, which has rather sketchy scholarship?
Ulan wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 pmAt least we now know that you don't have any arguments. If you don't understand the connection between the points I made, I can't really help it. It's hard to get through to someone who is a staunch believer of his own truth. Anyway, from the points you pick up from my posts and your last comment about the binding, you are aware of how this gels together into a concise explanation. You just don't like it.
As usual, I will skip responding to the unclear.
You can continue to avoid me, too.

But it will speak to the people who actually use the brain God gave them.
Steven Avery

the Tischendorf lies about his 1844 theft have skewed the physical analysis history

Post by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Steven Avery wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:13 am
Ulan wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:44 amAlso, you forget about the point that the monks had been collecting all the different parts from the monastery in the time between.
A Tischendorf fabrication myth that does not have a scintilla of support evidence.
In fact the modern theorists went a step further. They conjectured an 1844-1845 Sinai binding. Just because they were stuck with the Tischendorf 1844 lies,
So how has Ulan and many others been duped by Tischendorf?

This is a fine example of circular misinformation based on Tischendorf lies.

The Collected Biblical Writings of T.C. Skeat (2004)
Introduction by James Keith Elliott
http://books.google.com/books?id=td_OLXo4RvkC&pg=PR12

James Keith Elliott:
In a letter to me dated 27.4.1999 Skeat, in anticipation of writing that article for Novum Testamentum wrote:
What, then, happened to the rest of the dump which the monks had collected and had intended to burn? Tischendorf had, before he left Sinai [SA: 1844], urged the monks to search for further fragments of Sinaiticus, and it is clear that they did just this, recovering in all further leaves of the Old Testament plus the complete New Testament, the Epistle of Barnabas and the earlier part of Hermas. These the monks attempted to bind. This is the 'second binding' described by Cockerell on pp.82-3 of Scribes and Correctors and, as he showed, a very incompetent job it was indeed so faulty that it looks as if they abandoned the attempt to complete it by attaching boards. Their efforts did, however, succeed in keeping the surviving leaves together. That this binding was after Tischendorf's 1844 visit is proved by the fact that it includes the leaf containing Isaiah 66:12 - Jeremiah 1:7 which Tischendorf had been allowed to copy, though he was not permitted to take away. Furthermore, Uspensky claimed to have seen the volume during two visits to Sinai, in 1845 and 1850, and the binding applied by the monks must have been executed between Tischendorf's departure in May 1844 and 1845. This was the same binding which the manuscript possessed when Tischendorf finally found it in 1859 and still possessed when the manuscript reached the British Museum on 27 December, 1933. "(cf. the plates in Scribes and Correctors fig. 1) - Collected Writings of T. C. Skeat,
Now, I have placed a lot of the background on one page, to make it easy to understand how Ulan, and many others, have been duped by accepting as true the Tischendorf made up stories once again (here the key issue is the wondrous story he made up in 1859 to explain his 1844 theft.)

Pure Bible Forum - Sinaiticus
bindings and rebindings
https://www.purebibleforum.com/index.ph ... ndings.83/ (updated Xenforo url 10-2022)
Last edited by Steven Avery on Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Avery

Tischendorf red cloth fabric-ation leads to skewed history of ms.

Post by Steven Avery »

In other words:

1844 - Tischendorf claimed to only see 129-130 folia (and he took 43 to Leipzig, 86 pages, and he claimed he saved the folia from fire)
- what Tischendorf actually takes is from five complete quires and part of a contiguous sixth.
1845 - Porfiry Uspensky sees the whole ms (minus the folia that went to Leipzig) -
1856 - Uspensky writes of the 1845 analysis of the whole ms.
1859 - Tischendorf "discovers" the full ms. in the red cloth fabric-ation

So why was there a theory of a second rebinding? Done by the monks. There really is no physical evidence to support the theory. This theory arose because of the fake discovery story that Tischendorf created for the 1844 heist. He made up that story in 1859, when he needed political cover. (And it was thought that Uspensky had seen a bound codex.) That story is still part of "Sinaiticus science" today, even though it is quite absurd, and even contradicts his own letter to his brother Julius.

Once you understand that the Tischendorf 1844 story was phony, it becomes easier to do a real history. And the 1844 rebinding and/or recollection of the manuscript by the monks, mentioned by Ulan as history, goes kaput.

You also have to wonder why the ms. got dismantled. SImonides gives one explanation.
Maestroh

Post by Maestroh »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:06 am Was reading Tommy Wassermann's Facebook page today. Steve's name came up. Lots of love for Steve in the academic community. :banghead:
Yes, he's known as the head of the Tin Foil Hat wearing brigade.

He's soon to star in the "Wizard of Ave." He's going to play all the parts - no brains, no heart, no balls.
John T

Tischendorf, hero, thief, or scammer?

Post by John T »

In the Biblical History Daily section of the Biblical Archaeology Society, the question of the honesty of Tischendorf was brought up, yet again. Yet again, no mention if the Codex Sinaiticus will (or has been) c14 tested.

"The text of Codex Sinaiticus differs in numerous instances from that of the authorized version of the Bible in use during Tischendorf’s time. For example, the resurrection narrative at the end of Mark (16:9–20) is absent from the Codex Sinaiticus. So is the conclusion of the Lord’s Prayer: “For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen” (Matthew 6:13). The woman caught in adultery from John 8 is omitted in Codex Sinaiticus. According to James Bentley, Tischendorf was not troubled by the omission of the resurrection in Mark because he believed that Matthew was written first and that Mark’s gospel was an abridged version of Matthew’s gospel. If this were true, the absence of resurrection in Mark would not be a problem because it appears in the older Matthean gospel. Modern scholarship generally holds that Mark is in fact the oldest of the Synoptic Gospels, which could cause theological concerns over the omitted resurrection."...BAS staff.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... _at_Banias

I disagree with the claim that the Codex Sinaiticus has been accurately established to be mid-fourth century C.E. I could easily be persuaded to think otherwise that is, with proper c14 testing.

But I do agree Mark is the oldest Synoptic Gospel and that Tischendorf got that wrong which supports the theory Sinaiticus could be a modern forgery.

How is that c14 testing coming along anyway? :popcorn:

Yes, Steven Avery's investigation was well researched to the point I changed my view and I now agree with him that testing is in order.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Well if you like it chances are it's total fucking nonsense. We have every agenda driven lunatic possible here. It is hardly surprising but ultimately quite depressing to see how few people are capable of letting the evidence lead research