Why six days after these sayings?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why six days after these sayings?

Post by Giuseppe »

I read this:

But I tell you truly, there be some of those that stand here,
which shall by no means taste death, till they see the kingdom of God.

(Luke 9:27)

This verse is not attested in Evangelion because it states that some of 12 would enjoy the vision of 'kingdom of God' before of (or with) Paul.

But when in our canonical Gospel is realized this prophecy?

The next six days are filled with silence, without word or deed.

But why that silence?

28 And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings,
he took Peter and John and James,
and went up into a mountain to pray.

The reason of a silence during six days may be in ''these sayings'':

What was the general tenor of those sayings?

20 He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Peter answering said, The Christ of God.
21 And he straightly reprimanded them,
and commanded them to tell none such a thing
;

That inquisitor silence was wished by Jesus as reprimenda against Peter & company.

But 'Luke' didn't like that anti-petrine reading and by inserting verse 27 he converted the silence of six days in an point of force, as allusion to the prophecy of Kingdom's vision, now realized with the Transfiguration.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Why six days after these sayings?

Post by Giuseppe »

Note also we have an apparent contradiction between 8 days in Luke (and Evangelion) and 6 days in Mark/Matthew.
MAT 17:1-2, And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
----------------------------
LUK 9:22, And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray. And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.
http://www.1001biblecontradictions.com/ ... 74%5D.html

If I'm not wrong, in gematria 6 is symbol of incompleteness.

While 8 is symbol of superabundance (the number 8 is often associated with the concepts of resurrection, new beginning, baptism and rebirth, for example the children Jesus was baptized at 8 years old).

I am not able to see what this passage from 8 to 6 may reflect.

8 days after: a more than sufficient time of total silence as punition against apostles?

6 days after: before the complete realization (number 7 symbol of perfection) of something (expected), something else (unexpected) is already happening.

Exodus 24:15 can well explain the number 6 in Mark and Matthew.

But what about 8?

the importance of eight days was the time of the festival of tabernacles.

Say to the Israelites: On the fifteenth day of the seventh month the Lord’s Feast of Tabernacles begins, and it lasts for seven days. … So beginning with the fifteenth day of the seventh month, after you have gathered the crops of the land, celebrate the festival to the Lord for seven days; the first day is a day of rest, and the eighth day also is a day of rest. On the first day you are to take choice fruit from the trees, and palm fronds, leafy branches and poplars, and rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days. Celebrate this as a festival to the Lord for seven days each year. This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come; celebrate it in the seventh month. Live in booths for seven days: All native-born Israelites are to live in booths so your descendants will know that l had the Israelites live in booths when I brought them out of Egypt. I am the Lord your God
(Lev. 23:34; 39-43).

But it's growing in me the suspect that that temporal allusion is not in Evangelion, since it, beyond if 6 or 8 days after, was only necessary in order to realize the prophecy of Luke 9:27 (not attested in Mcn).
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.