if Mark is heretic, which heretic in particular?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

if Mark is heretic, which heretic in particular?

Post by Giuseppe »

Aspects of Mark that I find curious.

- Mark used the portrait of Paul persecutor (coming from 'Judaism') in need of conversion ('a Son in me') in Gal 1 in order to describe a sinner Jesus (coming from 'Nazaret') in need of baptism (adoption by Spirit).

- 'Mark' denigrates the 12 disciples, but not condemns them totally, because always offers a way of redemption, if not to 'them', to their followers his contemporaries (and readers of Mark) so to redeem themselves following the gospel of Paul.

- 'Mark' seems pessimist about the world but allows the possibility that there can be established, however, the kingdom, although only spiritually.

- 'adoptionism' in Mark: Jesus is a mere sinner man insofar he comes from Nazaret (and only from Nazaret - davidic root, therefore kata sarka - he takes the right to messianism) to John the Baptist.

- the incipit with John the Baptist as anti-marcionite link to Jewish scriptures.

Which particular potential heretical view you see in Mark?

If the Paul persecutor of Gal 1 is interpolation (see for example Vridar for evidence), then Mark is written after that Galatians is interpolated, therefore after at least the birth of another gospel.

If Mark is heretic, then I would see Mark as a heretic that, on the one hand pretends to accept catholicized letters (and Galatians with 'Paul persecutor' is a catholicized letter) and on the other, however, tries to convey a point that is anti-Petrine in essentia and therefore anti-catholic.

I know that the Valentinians were heretics who are camouflaged in the nascent Catholic Church using their scriptures through particular complicated exegesis (a kind of cherry-picking by which they took what they wanted to take from any official proto-catholic document).

Do you have in mind a best heretic candidate for the author of Mark (if a heretic author was there at all) ???
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: if Mark is heretic, which heretic in particular?

Post by Giuseppe »

the perfect identikit of a hypothetical heretic Mark is:

- one that accepts allegorically the Jewish scriptures

- one that reveres the Creator god.

- one that hates the material world

- one that pretends to use Catholicized letters.

- one that is anti-Judaizer in line of principle.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.