An Illustration for DCH (Two Powers and Marcionism)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

An Illustration for DCH (Two Powers and Marcionism)

Post by Secret Alias »

The most common criticism against the Marcionites is that they presumed there to be two powers in heaven. Let's just take a quick look at the first book Against Marcion:
[Marcion] presumed that there ought to be another god, after the analogy of the good tree producing its good fruit. [Adv Marc 1.2]

But some one may contend that two great Supremes may exist, distinct and separate in their own departments; and may even adduce, as an example, the kingdoms of the world, which, though they are so many in number, are yet supreme in their several regions. Such a man will suppose that human circumstances are always comparable with divine ones. Now, if this mode of reasoning be at all tolerable, what is to prevent our introducing, I will not say a third god or a fourth, but as many as there are kings of the earth? Now it is God that is in question, whose main property it is to admit of no comparison with Himself. Nature itself, therefore, if not an Isaiah, or rather God speaking by Isaiah, will deprecatingly ask, "To whom will ye liken me? " Human circumstances may perhaps be compared with divine ones, but they may not be with God. God is one thing, and what belongs to God is another thing. Once more: you who apply the example of a king, as a great supreme, take care that you can use it properly. For although a king is supreme on his throne next to God, he is still inferior to God; and when he is compared with God, he will be dislodged from that great supremacy which is transferred to God. Now, this being the case, how will you employ in a comparison with God an object as your example, which fails in all the purposes which belong to a comparison? Why, when supreme power among kings cannot evidently be multifarious, but only unique and singular, is an exception made in the case of Him (of all others) who is King of kings, and (from the exceeding greatness of His power, and the subjection of all other ranks to Him) the very summit, as it were, of dominion? But even in the case of rulers of that other form of government, where they one by one preside in a union of authority, if with their petty prerogatives of royalty, so to say, they be brought on all points59 into such a comparison with one another as shall make it clear which of them is superior in the essential features and powers of royalty, it must needs follow that the supreme majesty will redound to one alone,--all the others being gradually, by the issue of the comparison, removed and excluded from the supreme authority. Thus, although, when spread out in several hands, supreme authority seems to be multifarious, yet in its own powers, nature, and condition, it is unique. It follows, then, that if two gods are compared, as two kings and two supreme authorities, the concentration of authority must necessarily, according to the meaning of the comparison, be conceded to one of the two; because it is clear from his own superiority that he is the supreme, his rival being now vanquished, and proved to be not the greater, however great. Now, from this failure of his rival, the other is unique in power, possessing a certain solitude, as it were, in his singular pre-eminence. The inevitable conclusion at which we arrive, then, on this point is this: either we must deny that God is the great Supreme, which no wise man will allow himself to do; or say that God has no one else with whom to share His power. [Adv Marc 1.4]

But on what principle did Marcion confine his supreme powers to two? I would first ask, If there be two, why not more? Because if number be compatible with the substance of Deity, the richer you make it in number the better. Valentinus was more consistent and more liberal; for he, having once imagined two deities, Bythos and Sige,62 poured forth a swarm of divine essences, a brood of no less than thirty Aeons, like the sow of Aeneas.63 [2] Now, whatever principle refuses to admit several supreme begins, the same must reject even two, for there is plurality in the very lowest number after one. After unity, number commences. So, again, the same principle which could admit two could admit more. After two, multitude begins, now that one is exceeded. In short, we feel that reason herself expressly64 forbids the belief in more gods than one, because the self-same rule lays down one God and not two, which declares that God must be a Being to which, as the great Supreme, nothing is equal; and that Being to which nothing is equal must, moreover, be unique. [3] But further, what can be the use or advantage in supposing two supreme beings, two co-ordinate65 powers? What numerical difference could there be when two equals differ not from one? For that thing which is the same in two is one. Even if there were several equals, all would be just as much one, because, as equals, they would not differ one from another. [4] So, if of two beings neither differs from the other, since both of them are on the supposition66 supreme, both being gods, neither of them is more excellent than the other; and so, having no pre-eminence, their numerical distinction67 has no reason in it. Number, moreover, in the Deity ought to be consistent with the highest reason, or else His worship would be brought into doubt. For consider68 now, if, when I saw two Gods before me (who, being both Supreme Beings, were equal to each other), I were to worship them both, what should I be doing? [5] I should be much afraid that the abundance of my homage would be deemed superstition rather than piety. Because, as both of them are so equal and are both included in either of the two, I might serve them both acceptably in only one; and by this very means I should attest their equality and unity, provided that I worshipped them mutually the one in the other, because in the one both are present to me. If I were to worship one of the two, I should be equally conscious of seeming to pour contempt on the uselessness of a numerical distinction, which was superfluous, because it indicated no difference; in other words, I should think it the safer course to worship neither of these two Gods than one of them with some scruple of conscience, or both of them to none effect. [Adv Marc 1.5]

Thus far our discussion seems to imply that Marcion makes his two gods equal. For while we have been maintaining that God ought to be believed as the one only great Supreme Being, excluding from Him every possibility69 of equality, we have treated of these topics on the assumption of two equal Gods; but nevertheless, by teaching that no equals can exist according to the law70 of the Supreme Being, we have sufficiently affirmed the impossibility that two equals should exist. For the rest, however,71 we know full well72 that Marcion makes his gods unequal: one judicial, harsh, mighty in war; the other mild, placid, and simply73 good and excellent. [2] Let us with similar care consider also this aspect of the question, whether diversity (in the Godhead) can at any rate contain two, since equality therein failed to do so. Here again the same rule about the great Supreme will protect us, inasmuch as it settles74 the entire condition of the Godhead. Now, challenging, and in a certain sense arresting75 the meaning of our adversary, who does not deny that the Creator is God, I most fairly object76 against him that he has no room for any diversity in his gods, because, having once confessed that they are on a par,77 he cannot now pronounce them different; not indeed that human beings may not be very different under the same designation, be because the Divine Being can be neither said nor believed to be God, except as the great Supreme. [3] Since, therefore, he is obliged to acknowledge that the God whom he does not deny is the great Supreme, it is inadmissible that he should predicate of the Supreme Being such a diminution as should subject Him to another Supreme Being. For He ceases (to be Supreme), if He becomes subject to any. Besides, it is not the characteristic of God to cease from any attribute78 of His divinity--say, from His supremacy. For at this rate the supremacy would be endangered even in Marcion's more powerful god, if it were capable of depreciation in the Creator. [4] When, therefore, two gods are pronounced to be two great Supremes, it must needs follow that neither of them is greater or less than the other, neither of them loftier or lowlier than the other. If you deny79 him to be God whom you call inferior, you deny80 the supremacy of this inferior being. But when you confessed both gods to be divine, you confessed then both to be supreme. Nothing will you be able to take away from either of them; nothing will you be able to add. By allowing their divinity, you have denied their diversity. [Adv Marc 1.6]

But this argument you will try to shake with an objection from the name of God, by alleging that that name is a vague81 one, and applied to other beings also; as it is written, "God standeth in the congregation of the mighty;82 He judgeth among the gods." And again, "I have said, Ye are gods."83 As therefore the attribute of supremacy would be inappropriate to these, although they are called gods, so is it to the Creator. [2] This is a foolish objection; and my answer to it is, that its author fails to consider that quite as strong an objection might be urged against the (superior) god of Marcion: he too is called god, but is not on that account proved to be divine, as neither are angels nor men, the Creator's handwork. If an identity of names affords a presumption in support of equality of condition, how often do worthless menials strut insolently in the names of kings--your Alexanders, Caesars, and Pompeys!84 This fact, however, does not detract from the real attributes of the royal persons, Nay more, the very idols of the Gentiles are called gods. Yet not one of them is divine because he is called a god. [3] It is not, therefore, for the name of god, for its sound or its written form, that I am claiming the supremacy in the Creator, but for the essence85 to which the name belongs; and when I find that essence alone is unbegotten and unmade--alone eternal, and the maker of all things--it is not to its name, but its state, not to its designation, but its condition, that I ascribe and appropriate the attribute of the supremacy. [4] And so, because the essence to which I ascribe it has come86 to be called god, you suppose that I ascribe it to the name, because I must needs use a name to express the essence, of which indeed that Being consists who is called God, and who is accounted the great Supreme because of His essence, not from His name. In short, Marcion himself, when he imputes this character to his god, imputes it to the nature,87 not to the word. [5] That supremacy, then, which we ascribe to God in consideration of His essence, and not because of His name, ought, as we maintain, to be equal88 in both the beings who consist of that substance for which the name of God is given; because, in as far as they are called gods (i.e. supreme beings, on the strength, of course, of their unbegotten and eternal, and therefore great and supreme essence), in so far the attribute of being the great Supreme cannot be regarded as less or worse in one than in another great Supreme. [6] If the happiness, and sublimity, and perfection89 of the Supreme Being shall hold good of Marcion's god, it will equally so of ours; and if not of ours, it will equally not hold of Marcion's. Therefore two supreme beings will be neither equal nor unequal: not equal, because the principle which we have just expounded, that the Surpeme Being admits of no comparison with Himself, forbids it; not unequal, because another principle meets us respecting the Supreme Being, that He is capable of no diminution.

[7] So, Marcion, you are caught90 in the midst of your own Pontic tide. The waves of truth overwhelm you on every side. You can neither set up equal gods nor unequal ones. For there are not two; so far as the question of number is properly concerned. Although the whole matter of the two gods is at issue, we have yet confined our discussion to certain bounds, within which we shall now have to contend about separate peculiarities. [Adv Marc 1.7] ...
I could continue to go down chapter by chapter in Book One but I presume you can read. The argument is clearly the Marcionites argued from the Jewish scriptures that there were two gods in the Jewish pantheon. What is so difficult to understand about this? What is the fucking obstacle to taking the next step and identifying the two powers group with Marcionism? Segal just about did it. Pity he didn't spend enough time familiarizing himself with the sect a little better. At least you have that opportunity given that you are still alive and he did.

I am certain that the late second century references to the Marcion and the Marcionites 'crime' for venerating another god besides the cosmocrator closely parallel the two powers sect (= the circle of R Ishmael). Both had before them a Samaritan edition of the Book of Exodus which makes explicit just that - viz. that there were two powers manifest at Sinai. The two don't have to be identical beyond that detail. There may at one time have been a number of Jewish sects who differed in terms of the application of the same Torah. But the circle of R Ishmael and the Marcionites retained the use of the 'un-monarchian' (?) Samaritan edition of Exodus (i.e. a narrative which denied any quarter for monotheism).
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: An Illustration for DCH (Two Powers and Marcionism)

Post by Secret Alias »

The 'crime' of the Marcionites was denying Caesar the status of highest god in their pantheon (as the cosmocrator was necessarily the second god). Arianism succumbed to this charge (= treason?). The Samaritans were punished for this crime (see the long story in Abu'l Fath in the very same period i.e. the reign of Commodus when Irenaeus was active). So too must we imagine that the various Jewish sects (Sadducees) disappeared. The actual text of Exodus was changed at the beginning of the Common Era to allow for the possibility of monotheism in order to satisfy Caesar. Traditional Judaism, Samaritanism and Christianity developed from an understanding of the godhead which necessarily subordinated Caesar to a 'second power' below the 'Jewish god.' That's why the 'heresies' were marginalized. Orthodoxy inevitably meant openness to monarchianism and allowing for a formula which identified the one god with the cosmocrator (and no 'higher power'). Who was the first Jewish teacher identified as introducing the cosmocrator in the liturgy? R Judah haNasi who just happens to be remembered as being (a) close to Caesar (b) friendly with Roman customs bathing etc and (c) living in the exact same era as Irenaeus was actively defining 'heresy' in the Christian community as opposition to monarchianism (i.e. dividing the godhead) and Abu'l Fath quotes a horrendous persecution of Samaritans after a 'debate' about the divine monarchia with an Imperial appointed philosopher (Alexander of Aphrodisias http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/alexander-aphrodisias) and the head of the Samaritan community.

Marcionism 'dies' in the Commodian period. Traditional Samaritanism in the Commodian period (the blood line of priests is ended and all their books burned). The Jewish tradition is refounded with an emphasis on venerating the 'ruler of the world' in the liturgy as well as Christianity (via Irenaeus). All of this is mere coincidence? Or is it - as I would contend - clear proof that as the Empire disintegrated at the end of the Commodian period it forced monarchian ideas onto the three Palestinian traditions via textual corruption and infiltration of the various religious orders within each community.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I was just reading Lieu's new book Marcion and the Making of a Heretic and came across this p335
he concludes that it was appropriate for God to
use assistants in creating a being capable of evil choices for which God
could not be responsible (Philo, De Provid. I ¼ Eusebius, PE VII. 21;
De Opif. 24 [72–5]).38 Philo was not alone in wrestling with the scriptural
conundrum; elsewhere in Jewish thought this finds expression in ideas that
attributed creation to a mediating power or agent of God. It seems likely that
rabbinic references to those who taught ‘two powers in heaven’ belong here;
Genesis Rabbah shows repeated concern that the Genesis narrative, including
the first person plural of Genesis 1.26–7, might give room for an
interpretation that said ‘two powers created the world’ (Gen.R. 1.7; 8.8–9).
Justin himself attributes to his Jewish opponents a number of interpretations
of the ‘let us make’, before asserting that God was speaking to the first
created offspring (Justin, Dial. 62). Although it is difficult to date the ‘two
powers’ traditions, and to identify with any precision the ‘heretics’ (minim)
held responsible, the sources of such views have been traced back to the end
of the Second Temple period, and perhaps to apocalyptic and other circles
later deemed heterodox.39
39 On the two powers in heaven see Alan F. Segal, Two Powers in Heaven: Early Rabbinic
Reports about Christianity and Gnosticism (Leiden: Brill, 1977). Adiel Schremer, ‘Midrash,
Theology and History: Two Powers in Heaven Revisited’, JSJ 39 (2008), 230–54, is much
more cautious about supposed references to an actual ‘theology’, especially in tannaitic
sources. Although some have traced the gnostic demiurge to this tradition, Marcion in no
way fits it
Last edited by perseusomega9 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

pp340-1
Other evidence suggests a similar complex network of exegesis and
tradition, while excluding simple lines of dependency. Marcion’s complaint
that the Demiurge was jealous was part of a catalogue of other charges:
Tertullian initially states that Marcion was preoccupied by the problem of
evil, ‘as are most people, especially heretics’, but he then suggests that
Marcion’s own understanding was inspired by combining the Creator’s
claim, ‘I am the one who creates evils’, with Jesus’ parable of the fruits of
the good and bad trees (Isa. 45.7; Luke 6.43; Tertullian, AM I. 2.2; cf. II. 14.1).
Marcion’s appeal to the parable is well-established, but that he combined it
with the divine claim in Isaiah is not; even so, although the latter is
important for Tertullian’s own argument, this need not mean that he
invented it (AM II. 24.4).57 The issue is complicated by Tertullian’s appeal
to the similar passage in Deuteronomy 32.39, ‘I kill and I make alive’; here,
however, he implies that Marcion was more concerned with the Creator’s
apparent self-contradiction, although once again Tertullian’s own delight in
the passage as evidence of the ‘antithesis’ that is integral to the one God may
suggest that he is supplying Marcion with arguments that would serve his
own cause (AM I. 16.4; IV. 1.10; cf. II. 13.4; 14.1; III. 24.1; V. 11.4). Yet these
scriptural passages readily provoked controversy: Within Jewish tradition
the Deuteronomy passage was used in debates with those who held some
version of a ‘two powers in heaven’ theology, and also, defensively, against
those who denied the resurrection.58 Again, the complex network of exegetical
debate cannot be reduced to a single narrative; it would be difficult to
accommodate Marcion into a simple linear trajectory, and arguably an
appeal to these verses came at a second stage either in the polemical tradition
or in the development of his thought by his followers.
58 See Sifre Deut. 329; Segal, Two Powers, 241–3, who discusses the relationship with Marcion;
idem, ‘Dualism in Judaism, Christianity and Gnosticism: A Definitive Issue’, in The Other
Judaisms of Late Antiquity (BJS 127; Atlanta, GA: Scholars, 1987), 1–40; Schremer, ‘Midrash,
Theology and History’, argues that this is one element in a more fundamental debate about
the ability of God to defend his people. Jacques T. A. G. van Ruiten, ‘The Use of
Deuteronomy 32:39 in Monotheistic Controversies in Rabbinic Literature’, ed. Florentino
García Martinez, Anton Hilhorst, Jacques T. A. G. van Ruiten, and Adam S. van der
Woude, Studies in Deuteronomy: In Honour of C. J. Labuschagne on the Occasion of his 65th
Birthday (VTSup. 53; Leiden: Brill, 1994), 223–41, 234–40, argues that a number of alternative
positions may have been in view in the tradition but that the main focus in Sifre is on
the unity of God; see also Catrin H. Williams, I Am He: The Interpretation of ’Anî Hû’ in
Jewish and Early Christian Literature (WUNT 2.113; Tübingen: Mohr-Siebeck, 2000), 135–9.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

-Giuseppe
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

This reminded me of the Bartimaeus healing in Mark and the way he throws away his (philospher's?) cloak to follow Jesus and regain his sight.
For many, the most troubling aspect of the question of human responsibility
was that of the origin of their capacity for the wrong choices. Again,
Plato’s Timaeus offered a multilayered myth whose primary goal was to
ensure that the Demiurge would be ‘guiltless of any future evil in any of
them’ (Plato, Tim. 41D–44D, esp. 42D). In hellenistic Judaism both Wisdom
literature and apocalyptic sought solutions that would also distance the
Creator from responsibility for human as well as for angelic evil, and
such ideas, particularly of heavenly rebellion, were readily adopted by the
early Christians:
p342

-Giuseppe
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Thank you. Very useful (especially the first one). And you have to wonder - how exactly would venerating the Father and the Son as separate powers be 'heretical' in earliest Christianity? At first glance we think to ourselves 'the impetus couldn't have come from the Imperial government because - after all - they were pagan.' But a key mistake is that we forget to consider that this transformation of Christianity into a monotheistic or monarchian religion took place in the late second century - exactly the time that Brent identifies similar efforts to reshape all religions to make them compatible with the worship of the Emperor.

It wasn't then that 'the Roman government' literally 'changed' the religions but rather various courtiers and asskissers within the religion reshaped ancient faiths to gain favor of the Imperial court. And those that didn't take hold of the opportunity were viewed with suspicion and ultimately punished (especially in the Commodian period).

If we imagine (as is typical) that 'in the beginning' Christian communities just sprouted up everywhere, it is really like being hit by a mack truck when we reach the point that monarchian concerns creep into Christianity. There are saying where Jesus clearly infers many powers in heaven such as
They showed Jesus a piece of money and said to him: "The people who belong to Caesar ask us for taxes." He said to them: "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, give to God what is God's, and what is mine give me!"
Ah ha. 'God' and Jesus. Two powers in heaven. There can be no doubt that Christianity was not monotheistic originally. Ask any Muslim. They know better than these western people. Christianity developed from two powers in heaven but for Irenaeus this is the clearest sign that Marcion was a heretic!

People have this naive notion of a divide between 'Christianity' and 'paganism' as 'monotheism' versus 'many gods.' In reality paganism was being reshaped by monarchian concerns coming from the Imperial government and Christianity just happened to be closer to what Caesar wanted.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

pp345-6
Philo uses a variety of terms to express the two modes of divine action:
goodness, and graciousness, on the one side, and authority, law-giving, and
even retribution, on the other. Yet there does seem to be a firm connection
between his ideas and the more consistent rabbinic tradition which divides
between the goodness and the retribution (tḅ ’wt’, pwr‘nwt’), or, perhaps at a
later date, between the mercy and the justice (rhṃ ym, dyn), of God; although
in the dominant tradition the assignation of these to the divine names is the
reverse of Philo’s – so that elohim represents justice, the tetragrammaton
mercy – the oldest pattern may have agreed with him.69 Necessarily,
throughout such discussions these are the two attributes of the one God.
Yet, what for Philo is a unity in tension could become more fundamentally
divisive. There may be hints that the tension could be aligned with the belief
in two powers (mBer. 5.3; Mek on Exod. 15.3).70 In the Targumic traditions
Cain and Abel dispute whether the world is created through mercy and
whether it is judged by standards of justice and/or of mercy; the positions
ascribed to each protagonist vary, and it is not evident whether this is a
matter of literary variation, of development, or of a change in implicit
opponents.71 However, a consistent theme is that Abel affirms that the world
is judged according to justice, while Cain denies this;72 the problem, then, is
not the fact of judgement but the accountability of the judge. Despite the late
date of the final form of the Targumim, other parallels suggest that such
traditions go back at least to the second century CE. Originating in the same
period, the Apocryphon of John probably echoes similar traditions when it
identifies Yahve with Cain and Elohim with Abel; even here the different
recensions of the text disagree as to whether it is Yahweh who is righteous
and Elohijm who is unrighteous, or the reverse.73
69 So Arthur Marmorstein, ‘Philo and the Names of God’, JQR 22 (1932), 295–306. He finds a
reaction against Marcionism in subsequent debates about the identification of elohim with
judgement (300). See also Nils A. Dahl and Alan F. Segal, ‘Philo and the Rabbis on the
Name of God’, JSJ 9 (1978), 1–28, who, however, reject any explicit reaction against
Marcion.

-Giuseppe
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

You see, Lieu is obvious a deep thinker. Aren't too many of those in academia so far. I promised her husband I would buy this book. I guess I will.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And at some point Marcionite dualism was insinuated to have within it Persian dualistic leanings. Gee I wonder what that was designed to do for the Imperial court in an age when the Roman state was at war with Parthia.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Earlier in the book she is highly skeptical of any reconstructions of Marcion's text and basically concludes that Tertullian and others didn't actually have any Marcionite texts in front of them when writing.

-Giuseppe