The gospel of Mary.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

The gospel of Mary.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Gospel of Mary
Information

Sources: Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 3525, Papyrus Rylands 463, Codex Berolinensis Gnosticus 8502.
The gospel of Mary comes to us in two Greek fragments and part of a Coptic codex. It seems to have escaped the notice of the ecclesiastical writers and heresiologists.
Index to other gospel texts.

Text and Translation

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 3525
1 [....]
2 [....]
3 [.................................] οὐδ' ἐνο̣μ̣ο̣[θέτησα ὡς ὁ νομοθέτης]
4 [....]
5 [..............................τ]αῦτα εἰπὼ̣ν ἐ̣ξ[ῆλθεν. οἱ δὲ ἐλυπήθησαν]
6 [δακρύοντες πολλὰ καὶ] λέγοντες· πῶς π[ορευώμεθα πρὸς τὰ ἔθνη]
7 [κηρύσσοντες τὸ εὐα]γγέλιον τῆς βα̣[σιλείας τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀν(θρώπ)ου; εἰ]
8 [γὰρ μηδ' ἐκείνου ἐφείσα]ν̣τ̣ο πῶς ἡμῶν ἀ̣φ̣[έξονται· τότε ἀναστᾶσα Μαρι-]
9 [άμμη καὶ ἀσπαζομένη] αὐτοὺς κατεφίλησε̣ [πάντας καὶ λέγει· ἀδελφοί,]
10 [μὴ δακρύετε, μὴ λυπ]εῖσθε μηδὲ διστάζετε̣. ἡ̣ [γὰρ χάρις αῦτοῦ ἔσται]
11 [μ]ε̣θ̣' ὑ̣μῶν σ̣κ̣έπουσα ὑμᾶς. μᾶλλον εὐχαρι̣[στῶμεν τῇ μεγαλει-]
12 [ότ]η̣τι αὐτ(οῦ), ὅτι σ̣υ̣ν̣ήρτηκεν ἡμᾶς καὶ ἀν(θρώπ)ου̣[ς πεποίηκεν. ταῦτα εἰποῦσα]
13 [Μαριά]μ̣μ̣η μετέστρεψεν τὸν νοῦν αὐτῶν ἐ̣[π' ἀγαθὸν καὶ ἦρξαν συν-]
14 [ζη]τ̣[εῖ]ν περὶ τῶν ἀποφθεγμάτων τοῦ σωτῆρ[ος. λέγει Πέτρος]
15 [πρὸ]ς̣ Μαριάμμην· ἀδέλφη, οἶδαμε̣ν ὅτι πολλ[ὰ ἠγαπήθης ὑπὸ τοῦ]
16 [σωτ]ῆ̣ρος, ὡς οὐκ ἄλλη γυνή. εἶπον οὖν ἡμῖν ὅσ[ους σὺ γινώσκεις]
17 [λόγο]υ̣ς τοῦ σωτῆρος ο̣ὓ̣ς ἡ̣μεῖς οὐκ ἠκούσαμε̣ν̣. ὑ̣π̣έ̣[λαβε Μαριάμμη λέγου-]
18 [σα· ὅσα] ὑ̣μ̣ᾶ̣ς̣ λανθάνει καὶ ἀπομνημονεύω ἀ̣π̣α̣[γγελῶ ὑμῖν. καὶ ἦρχεν αὐ-]
19 [τοῖς τοὺ]τ̣ω̣ν̣ τῶν λό̣γ̣[ων·] ἐμ[οῦ] ποτε ἐν ὁράματι ἰδ[ούσης τὸν κύριον]
20 [εἶπον·] κ̣ύ̣ρ̣ι̣ε̣, σήμερόν σ[ε εἶδον.] ὑ̣π̣έ̣λ̣α̣βε λ̣έ̣γ[ων· μακαρία εἶ σύ ....]

1 [....]
2 [....]
3 [.................................] nor [did I] legislate [as the legislator]
4 [....]
5 [..............................] having said [t]hese things, he [went] out. [But they grieved,]
6 [weeping much and] saying, "How [are we to] g[o to the gentiles]
7 [preaching the go]spel the ki[ngdom of the son of m(a)n? For,]
8 [if] they did [not even spare that one,] how will they sp[are] us?" [Then Mary arose]
9 [and greeted] them and kissed [them all and says, "Brethren,]
10 [neither weep nor gri]eve, nor be of two minds. [For his grace will be]
11 [w]ith you, watching over you. Rather, [let us] give thank[s to] hi(s) [great-]
12 [ne]ss, since he has joined us together and [made] us h(uma)n[s." In saying these things,]
13 [Mar]y turned their mind u[pon the good and began to see]k [together]
14 concerning the the apothegms of the savi[or. Peter says]
15 [towar]d Mary, "Sister, we know that [you were] muc[h loved by the]
16 [sav]ior, as no other woman. Say to us, therefore, as [much as you know of]
17 [the word]s the savior, which we have not heard." [Mary] re[plied, say-]
18 [ing, "As much as] eludes you and I remember, [I shall] ann[ounce to you. And she began]
19 [with th]ese wor[ds to them:] "Once when I s[aw the Lord] in a vision
20 [I said,] 'Lord, today [I saw] y[ou.'] He replied, saying, 'Blessed are you....'"]

Papyrus Rylands 463
Papyrus Rylands 463
Recto
0 [..................]κα
1 … τὸ λοιπὸν δρ̣όμου και̣[ροῦ] χρόνου
2 αἰ̣ῶ̣νος ἀνάπαυσιν ἐ̣[ν] σιγῇ· ταῦ-
3 τ[α] ε̣ἰποῦσα ἡ Μαρι̣άμμη ἐσιώπη-
4 σε[ν,] ὡς τοῦ σωτῆρος μέχρι ᾦδε
5 εἰρηκότος. Ἀνδρέας λέγε[ι· ἀ]δελ-
6 φοί, τι ὑμῖν δοκεῖ̣ πε-
7 [ρ]ὶ τῶν λαληθέντων; ἐγὼ̣ μ̣ὲν
8 γὰρ οὐ πιστεύω ταῦτα <τ>[ὸ]ν σ[ω-]
9 τῆρα εἰρηκέναι· ἐδόκει γ[ὰρ ἑτε-]
10 ρογνωμονεῖν τῇ ἐκ[ε]ίν[ου δια-]
11 νοίᾳ. περὶ τοιούτ[ω]ν πρα[γμά-]
12 των ἐξεταζόμενος <λέγει Πέτρος·> ὁ̣ σω[τὴρ]
13 λάθρα γυν[α]ι̣κὶ ἐλάλει καὶ <οὐ> φ[α-]
14 νερῶς ἵνα πάντες ἀκούσω̣[μεν·]
15 [μὴ ἀ]ξιολογωτέρα̣ν̣ ἡ̣[μ]ῶ̣ν̣ [αὐτὴν]
16 [ἀποδεῖξαι ἤθ]ε[λε; ....]
Recto
0 [..................]??
1 "… the remainder of the course of the ri[ght] time
2 of the age a pausing i[n] silence." Having
3 said thes[e] things, Mary became sil-
4 en[t,] as if until now the savior
5 had spoken. Andrew say[s, "B]reth-
6 ren, what do you suppose conce[r]n-
7 ing the things that have been spoken? For
8 I do not believe that <t>[h]e s[a]vior
9 had said these things. F[or] they seemed
10 [to dif]fer from h[í]s [mind-]
11 set. Having scrutinized concerning su[c]h ma[t-]
12 ters, <Peter says,> "Did the sa[vior]
13 speak secretly to a wom[a]n, and <not> o[pen-]
14 ly so that [we] all might hear?
15 [She did not w]i[sh to show that she]
16 [is w]orthier of mention than w[e, did she? ....]
Verso
0 [...]
1 τοῦ σωτῆρος; Λευε[ὶ]ς λέγει Πέτρ̣ῳ·
2 Πετρε, ἀ[εί] σο[ι] τὸ ὀργίλον̣ παράκει-
3 ται· καὶ ἄρ̣τ̣ι οὕτως συνζητεῖ[ς] τ̣ῇ̣
4 γυναικὶ ὡς ἀντικείμενος α̣ὐ̣τ̣ῇ̣.
5 εἰ ὁ σωτὴ[ρ] ἀξίαν αὐτὴν ἡγήσατο,
6 σὺ τ̣ίς εἶ ἐ̣ξουθενῶν αὐτήν· πάν-
7 τως̣ γὰρ ἐ̣κεῖνος εἰδὼς αὐτὴν ἀ̣σ̣-
8 φ[αλ]ῶ̣[ς] ἠγάπησεν· μᾶλλ[ο]ν αἰ̣σχυ(ν-)
9 θ̣ῶ̣[μεν] καὶ ἐνδυσάμενο̣[ι] τὸν
10 τ̣[έλειο]ν ἄν(θρωπ)ον, ἐκεῖνο τὸ προστα<χ->
11 θ[ὲν ἡ]μῖν π[ο]ι̣ήσωμεν· κηρύξω-
12 μ̣[εν τὸ] εὐαγγ[έ]λ̣ιον, μ̣ηδὲν ὁ[ρ]ί̣ζον-
13 τ̣[ες μη]δὲ νομ̣οθε̣τ[ο]ῦντ̣ες, ὡς εἶ-
14 π̣[εν ὁ] σ̣ωτήρ. [ταῦ]τα ει̣π̣ὼν ὁ Λε̣υ-
15 [εὶς μὲ]ν̣ ἀπ̣[ελθὼν] ἦρχεν κη[ρύσ-]
16 [σειν τὸ εὐαγγέλι]ο̣ν̣.
17 [εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Μαριάμμην]
Verso
0 ["...]
1 of the savior?" Lev[í] says to Peter,
2 "Peter, it a[lways] falls to yo[u] to be prone to
3 anger; and now you are thus disputin[g] with this
4 woman as if you were her adversary.
5 If the savio[r] considered her worthy,
6 who are you to set her at naught? For
7 in all ways he knew her and loved her
8 de[ar]l[y.] Rath[e]r, let [us] be as(h-)
9 amed and, clothe[d] with the
10 p[erfec]t h(um)an, d[o] that which he has
11 comma<n>d[ed u]s. Let u[s] preach
12 [the] gosp[e]l, neither layi[ng down] r[u]les
13 [no]r legislat[í]ng, as [the]
14 savior sa[id."] Having said] [the]se things,
15 Lev[i went] away [and] began to
16 pr[each the gosp]el.
17 [Gospel according to Mary]

Codex Berolinensis 8502
Codex Berolinensis 8502
[Pages 1-6 are missing.][Pages 1-6 are missing.]
7 [.].[ 8+- ]..ⲑ̣[ⲩ]ⲗ̣ⲏ ϭⲉ ⲛⲁⲟⲩⲱ̣[ϭ]ⲡ̣ ϫⲛ ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ϫⲉ ⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲓⲙ ⲡⲗⲁⲥⲙⲁ ⲛⲓⲙ ⲕⲧⲓⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲓⲙ ⲉⲩϣⲟⲡ ϩⲛ̅ ⲛⲉⲩⲉⲣⲏⲩ {ⲙ}ⲛⲙ̅ⲙⲁⲩ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲟⲛ ⲉⲩⲛⲁⲃⲱⲗ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲉⲧⲟⲩⲛⲟⲩⲛⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲓⲛ ⲙⲙⲟⲟⲩ ϫⲉ ⲧⲉⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲑⲩⲗⲏ ⲉⲥⲃⲱⲗ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲉⲛ̣ⲁ ⲧⲉⲥⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲟⲩⲁⲁⲥ ⲡⲉⲧⲉ ⲟⲩⲛ ⲙⲁⲁϫⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϥ ⲉⲥⲱⲧⲙ̅ ⲙⲁⲣⲉϥⲥⲱⲧⲙ̅ ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲟⲥ ⲛⲁϥ ϫⲉ ϩⲱⲥ ⲁⲕⲧⲁ̣ⲙⲟⲛ ⲉϩⲱⲃ ⲛⲓⲙ ϫⲱ ⲙⲡⲓⲕⲉⲟⲩⲁ ⲉⲣⲟⲛ ⲟⲩ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲛⲟⲃⲉ ⲙⲡⲕⲟⲥⲙⲟ̣ⲥ̣ ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ϫⲉ ⲙⲛ̅ ⲛⲟⲃⲉ ϣⲟⲡ ⲁⲗⲗⲁ ⲛ̅ⲧⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲡⲉϯⲣⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲛⲟⲃⲉ ⲉⲧ̣ⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲉⲓⲣⲉ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉϯⲛⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲧⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲛⲟⲉⲓⲕ ⲉⲧ<ⲟⲩ>ⲙⲟⲩⲧⲉ ⲉⲣⲟⲥ ϫⲉ ⲡⲛⲟ̣ⲃⲉ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲡⲁϊ ⲁϥⲉⲓ ⲛ̅ϭⲓ ⲡⲁⲅⲁⲑ̣ⲟ̣̅ ϩⲛ ⲧⲉⲧⲙ̅ⲙⲏⲧⲉ ϣⲁ ⲛⲁ ⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲛⲓⲙ ⲉϥⲛⲁⲕⲁⲑⲓⲥⲧⲁ ⲙⲙⲟⲥ ⲉϩⲟ̣ⲩ̣̅ ⲉⲧⲉⲥⲛⲟⲩⲛⲉ ⲉⲧⲓ ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϩ ⲉⲧⲟⲧ̣ϥ̣ ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ϫⲉ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲡⲁⲓ ⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ϣⲱ[ⲛ]ⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲉⲧⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲩ ϫⲉ [ⲧ]7 "… Will m[a]tter then be utterly [destr]oyed or not?" The Savior replied, "Every nature, every modeled form, every creature, exists in and with each other. They will dissolve again into their own proper root. For the nature of matter is dissolved into what belongs to its nature. Anyone with two ears able to hear should listen!" Then Peter said to him, "You have been explaining every topic to us; tell us one other thing. What is the sin of the world?" The Savior replied, "There is no such thing as sin; rather you yourselves are what produces sin when you act in accordance with the nature of adultery, which is called 'sin.' For this reason, the Good came among you, pursuing (the good) which belongs to every nature. It will set it within its root." Then he continued. He said, "This is why you get si[c]k and die: because [you love]
8 ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲧⲁⲣ̣̅.ⲡ̣ⲁ̣[ 7+- ⲡ]ⲉ̣ⲧ̣[ⲡ̅]ⲛⲟϊ ⲙⲁⲣⲉϥⲣ̅ⲛⲟⲉⲓ [ⲁⲑ]ⲩⲗ̣ⲏ̣ ϫ̣[ⲡ]ⲉ̣ ⲟⲩⲡⲁⲑⲟⲥ ⲉⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲁϥ ⲙⲙⲁⲩ ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲓⲛⲉ ⲉⲁϥⲉⲓ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ϩⲛ ⲟⲩⲡⲁⲣⲁⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲧⲟⲧⲉ ϣⲁⲣⲉⲟⲩⲧⲁⲣⲁⲭⲏ ϣⲱⲡⲉ ϩ̣ⲙ̅ ⲡⲥⲱⲙⲁ ⲧⲏⲣϥ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲡⲁϊ ⲁϊϫⲟⲥ ⲛⲏⲧⲛ̅ ϫⲉ ϣⲱⲡⲉ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲏⲧ ⲛ̅ϩⲏⲧ̣ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲟ ⲛ̅ⲛⲁⲧⲧⲱⲧ ⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲏⲧ ⲙⲉⲛ ⲛ̅ⲛⲁϩⲣⲙ̅ ⲡⲓⲛⲉ ⲡⲓⲛⲉ ⲛⲧⲉⲫⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲡⲉⲧⲉ ⲟⲩⲛ ⲙⲁⲁϫⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϥ ⲉⲥⲱⲧⲙ̅ ⲙⲁⲣⲉϥⲥⲱⲧⲙ̅ ⲛⲧⲁⲣⲉϥϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲛϭⲓ ⲡⲙⲁⲕⲁⲣⲓⲟⲥ ⲁϥⲁⲥⲡⲁⲍⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲟⲩ ⲧⲏⲣⲟⲩ ⲉϥϫⲱ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟ→ⲥ← ϫⲉ ⲟⲩⲉⲓⲣⲏⲛⲏ ⲛⲏⲧⲛ̅ ⲧⲁⲉⲓⲣⲏⲛⲏ ϫⲡⲟⲥ ⲛⲏⲧⲛ̅ ⲁⲣⲉϩ ⲙⲡⲣ̅ⲧⲣⲉⲗⲁⲁⲩ ⲣ̅ⲡⲗⲁⲛⲁ ⲙⲙⲱⲧⲛ̣̅ ⲉϥϫⲱ ⲙⲙⲟⲥ ϫⲉ ⲉⲓⲥ ϩⲏⲡⲉ ⲙⲡⲉϊⲥⲁ ⲏ̣ ⲉⲓⲥ ϩⲏⲡⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲉⲓⲙⲁ ⲡϣⲏⲣⲉ ⲅⲁⲣ ⲙⲡⲣⲱⲙⲉ ⲉϥϣⲟⲡ ⲙⲡⲉⲧⲛ̅ϩⲟⲩⲛ ⲟⲩⲉϩⲧⲏⲩⲧⲛ̅ ⲛ̅ⲥⲱϥ ⲛⲉⲧϣⲓⲛⲉ ⲛ̅ⲥⲱϥ ⲥⲉⲛⲁϭ̣ⲛⲧϥ̅ ⲃⲱⲕ ϭⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲁϣⲉⲟⲉⲓϣ̣ ⲙⲡⲉⲩⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲓⲟⲛ ⲛ̅ⲧⲙⲛⲧⲉⲣⲟ ⲙⲡⲣ̣̅-8 what de[c]ei[ve]s [you]. [Anyone who] thinks should consider (these matters)! "[Ma]tter gav[e bi]rth to a passion which has no Image because it derives from what is contrary to nature. A disturbing confusion then occurred in the whole body. That is why I told you, 'Become content at heart, while also remaining discontent and disobedient; indeed become contented and agreeable (only) in the presence of that other Image of nature.' Anyone with two ears capable of hearing should listen!" When the Blessed One had said these things, he greeted them all. "Peace be with you!" he said. "Acquire my peace within yourselves! "Be on your guard so that no one deceives you by saying, 'Look over here!' or 'Look over there!' For the child of true Humanity exists within you. Follow it! Those who search for it will find it. "Go then, preac[h] the good news about the Realm. [Do] not
9 ⲕⲁ ⲗⲁⲩ ⲛ̅ϩⲟⲣⲟⲥ ⲉϩⲣⲁϊ ⲡⲁⲣⲁ ⲡⲉⲛⲧⲁϊⲧⲟϣϥ̅ ⲛⲏⲧⲛ̅ ⲟⲩⲇⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲣ̅ϯ ⲛⲟⲙⲟⲥ ⲛ̅ⲑⲉ ⲙⲡⲛⲟⲙⲟⲑⲉⲧⲏⲥ ⲙⲏⲡⲟⲧⲉ ⲛ̅ⲥⲉⲁⲙⲁϩⲧⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲛϩⲏⲧϥ ⲛⲧⲁⲣⲉϥϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲁϥⲃⲱⲕ ⲛⲧⲟⲟⲩ ⲇⲉ ⲛⲉⲩⲣ̅ⲗⲩⲡⲉⲓ ⲁⲩⲣⲓⲙⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡϣⲁ ⲉⲩϫⲱ ⲙⲙⲟⲥ ϫⲉ ⲛⲛⲁϣ ⲛ̅ϩⲉ ⲉⲛⲛⲁⲃⲱⲕ ϣⲁ ⲛϩⲉⲑⲛⲟⲥ ⲛ̅ⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲁϣⲉⲟⲉⲓϣ ⲛ̅ⲡⲉⲩⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲓⲟⲛ ⲛⲧⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲣⲟ ⲙⲡϣ→ⲏ←ⲣⲉ ⲙⲡⲣⲱⲙⲉ ⲉϣϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲙ̅ⲙⲁⲩ ⲙ̅ⲡⲟⲩϯⲥⲟ ⲉⲣⲟϥ ⲛⲁϣ ⲛ̅ϩⲉ ⲁⲛⲟⲛ ⲉⲩⲛⲁϯⲥⲟ ⲉⲣⲟⲛ ⲧⲟⲧⲉ ⲁⲙⲁⲣⲓϩⲁⲙ ⲧⲱⲟⲩⲛ ⲁⲥⲁⲥⲡⲁⲍⲉ ⲙⲙⲟⲟⲩ ⲧⲏⲣⲟⲩ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲥ ⲛⲛⲉⲥ→ⲥ←ⲛⲏⲩ ϫⲉ ⲙⲡⲣ̅ⲣⲓⲙⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲙⲡⲣ̅ⲣ̅ⲗⲩⲡⲉⲓ ⲟⲩⲇⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲣ̅ⲣ̅ ϩⲏ̣ⲧ ⲥⲛⲁⲩ ⲧⲉϥⲭⲁⲣⲓⲥ ⲅⲁⲣ ⲛⲁϣⲱⲡⲉ ⲛⲙ̅ⲙⲏⲧⲛ̅ ⲧⲏⲣⲥ̣ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲛⲥⲣ̅ⲥⲕⲉⲡⲁⲍⲉ ⲙⲙⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲙⲁⲗⲗⲟⲛ ⲇⲉ ⲙⲁⲣⲛ̅ⲥⲙⲟⲩ ⲉⲧⲉϥⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲛⲟϭ ϫⲉ ⲁϥⲥⲃ̅ⲧⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲁϥⲁⲁⲛ ⲛ̅ⲣⲱⲙⲉ ⲛⲧⲁⲣⲉⲙⲁⲡ'̣ⲟϩⲁⲙ ϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲁⲥⲕⲧⲉ ⲡⲉⲩϩⲏⲧ [ⲉϩ]ⲟⲩⲛ ⲉⲡⲁⲅⲁ̣ⲑⲟⲛ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲁⲩⲣ̅ⲁⲣⲭⲉ[ⲥⲑⲁⲓ] ⲛ̣ⲣ̅ⲅⲩⲙ[ⲛ]ⲁⲍⲉ ϩⲁ ⲡⲣⲁ ⲛⲛ̅ϣⲁ[ϫ]ⲉ ⲙⲡ̣[<ⲥⲱⲣ>9 lay down any rule beyond what I determined for you, nor promulgate law like the lawgiver, or else you might be dominated by it." After he had said these things, he departed from them. But they were distressed and wept greatly. "How are we going to go out to the rest of the world to announce the good news about the Realm of the child of true Humanity?" they said. "If they did not spare him, how will they spare us?" Then Mary stood up. She greeted them all, addressing her brothers and sisters, "Do not weep and be distressed nor let your hearts be irresolute. For his grace will be with you all and will shelter you. Rather we should praise his greatness, for he has prepared us and made us true Human beings." When Mary had said these things, she turned their heart [to]ward the Good, and they began to deba[t]e about the wor[d]s of [the Savior].
10 ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲟⲥ ⲙⲙⲁⲣⲓϩⲁⲙ ϫⲉ ⲧⲥⲱⲛⲉ ⲧⲛ̅ⲥⲟⲟⲩⲛ ϫⲉ ⲛⲉⲣⲉⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ⲟⲩⲁϣⲉ̣ ⲛϩⲟⲩⲟ ⲡⲁⲣⲁ ⲡⲕⲉⲥⲉⲉⲡⲉ ⲛⲥ̅ϩϊⲙⲉ ϫⲱ ⲛⲁⲛ ⲛⲛ̅ϣⲁϫⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ⲉⲧⲉⲉⲓⲣⲉ ⲙⲡⲉⲩⲙⲉⲉⲩⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲉⲧⲉⲥⲟⲟⲩⲛ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲟⲩ ⲛ̅ⲛⲁⲛⲟⲛ ⲁⲛ ⲟⲩⲇⲉ ⲙⲡⲛ̅ⲥⲟⲧⲙ→ⲟ←ⲩ ⲁⲥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛϭⲓ ⲙⲁⲣⲓϩⲁⲙ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲥ ϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲑⲏⲡ ⲉⲣⲱⲧⲛ̅ ϯⲛⲁⲧⲁⲙⲁ ⲧⲏⲩⲧⲛ̅ ⲉⲣⲟϥ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲁⲥⲁⲣⲭⲉⲓ ⲛ̅ϫⲱ ⲛⲁⲩ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉϊϣⲁϫⲉ ϫⲉ ⲁ{ϊ}ⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲥ ⲁⲓⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲡ<ϫⲥ> ϩⲛ ⲟⲩϩⲟⲣⲟⲙⲁ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲁⲉⲓϫⲟⲟⲥ ⲛⲁϥ ϫⲉ ⲡ<ϫⲥ> ⲁϊⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟⲕ ⲙ̅ⲡⲟⲟⲩ ϩⲛ ⲟⲩϩⲟⲣⲟⲙⲁ ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ⲛⲁϊ ϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊⲁⲧⲉ ϫⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲕⲓⲙ ⲁⲛ ⲉⲣⲉⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟⲉⲓ ⲡⲙⲁ ⲅⲁⲣ ⲉⲧⲉⲣⲉⲡⲛⲟⲩⲥ ⲙ̅ⲙⲁⲩ ⲉϥⲙⲙⲁⲩ ⲛϭⲓ ⲡⲉϩⲟ ⲡⲉϫⲁϊ ⲛⲁϥ ϫⲉ ⲡ<ϫⲥ> ⲧ̣ⲉ̣ⲛ̣ⲟⲩ ⲡ̣ⲉⲧⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲫⲟⲣⲟⲙⲁ ⲉϥⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟϥ <ϩⲛ̅> ⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ <ⲏ> ⲡⲉⲡ<ⲛⲁ> ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛ̅ϭⲓ ⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ϫⲉ ⲉϥⲛⲁⲩ ⲁⲛ ϩⲛ̅ ⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ ⲟⲩⲇⲉ ϩⲙ ⲡⲉ<ⲡⲛⲁ> ⲁⲗⲗⲁ ⲡⲛⲟⲩⲥ ⲉⲧϣ̣[ⲟⲡ] ϩⲛ ⲧⲉⲩⲙⲏⲧⲉ ⲙⲡⲉⲩⲥ̣ⲛⲁⲩ ⲛ̣̅ⲧⲟ̣[ϥ ⲡⲉⲧ̅] ⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲫⲟⲣⲟⲙⲁ ⲁⲩ[ⲱ] ⲛ̅ⲧⲟϥ ⲡ̣[ⲉⲧ]10 Peter said to Mary, "Sister, we know that the Savior loved you more than all other women. Tell us the words of the Savior that you remember, the things which you know that we don't because we haven't heard them." Mary responded, "I will teach you about what is hidden from you." And she began to speak these words to them. She said, "I saw the Lord in a vision and I said to him, 'Lord, I saw you today in a vision.' He answered me, 'How wonderful you are for not wavering at seeing me! For where the mind is, there is the treasure.' I said to him, 'So now, Lord, does a person who sees a vision see it <with> the soul <or> with the spirit?' The Savior answered, 'A person does not see with the soul or with the spirit. 'Rather the mind, which exists between these two, sees the vision an[d] that is w[hat … ]'
[Pages 11-14 are missing.][Pages 11-14 are missing.]
15 ⲙⲙⲟϥ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲧⲉⲡⲓⲑⲩⲙⲓⲁ ϫⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲓⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟ ⲉⲣⲉⲃⲏⲕ ⲉⲡⲓⲧⲛ̅ ⲧⲉⲛⲟⲩ ⲇⲉ ϯⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟ ⲉⲣⲉⲃⲏⲕ ⲉⲧⲡⲉ ⲡⲱⲥ ⲇⲉ ⲧⲉϫⲓ ϭⲟⲗ ⲉⲣⲉⲏⲡ) ⲉⲣⲟⲉⲓ ⲁⲥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛϭⲓ ⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲥ ϫⲉ ⲁϊⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟ ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟϊ ⲟⲩⲇⲉ ⲙⲡⲉⲉⲓⲙⲉ ⲉⲣⲟⲉⲓ ⲛⲉⲉⲓϣⲟⲟⲡ ⲛⲉ ⲛ̅ϩⲃ̅ⲥⲱ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲙⲡⲉⲥⲟⲩⲱⲛⲧ ⲛ̅ⲧⲁⲣⲉⲥϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲁⲥⲃⲱⲕ ⲉⲥⲧⲉⲗⲏⲗ ⲛ̅ϩⲟⲩⲟ ?? ⲡⲁⲗⲓⲛ ⲁⲥⲉⲓ ⲉⲧⲛ̅ ⲧⲙⲉϩ??ϣⲟⲙⲛⲧⲉ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉⲝⲟⲩⲥⲓⲁ ⲧⲉⲧⲟⲩⲙ→ⲟ←ⲩⲧⲉ ⲉⲣⲟⲥ ϫⲉ ⲧⲙⲛⲧⲁⲧⲥⲟⲟⲩⲛ [ⲁⲥ]ⲣ̣̅ⲉⲝⲉⲧⲁⲍⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ ⲉⲥϫ[ⲱ ⲙ̅]ⲙⲟⲥ ϫⲉ ⲉⲣⲉⲃⲏⲕ ⲉⲧⲱⲛ ϩⲛ̣ [ⲟ] ⲩⲡ̣ⲟ̣ⲛ̣ⲏⲣⲓⲁ ⲁⲩⲁⲙⲁϩⲧⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟ ⲁⲩ[ⲁ]ⲙ̣ⲁ̣ϩ̣ⲧⲉ ⲇⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟ ⲙ̅ⲡⲣ̅ⲕⲣⲓⲛⲉ ⲁⲩ[ⲱ] ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ ϫⲉ ⲁϩⲣⲟ ⲉⲣⲉⲕⲣ̣ⲓ̣ⲛ̣ⲉ̣ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϊ ⲉⲙⲡⲓⲕⲣⲓⲛⲉ ⲁⲩⲉⲙⲁϩⲧⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϊ ⲉⲙⲡⲓⲁⲙⲁϩⲧⲉ ⲙⲡⲟⲩⲥ̣ⲟ̣ⲩⲱⲛⲧ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲇⲉ ⲁϊⲥⲟⲩⲱⲛⲟⲩ ⲉⲩⲃⲱⲗ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲙⲡⲧⲏⲣϥ ⲉⲓⲧⲉ ⲛⲁ ⲡ̣ⲕ̣ⲁ̣ϩ̣15 … it. "And Desire said, 'I did not see you go down, yet now I see you go up. So why do you lie since you belong to me?' "The soul answered, 'I saw you. You did not see me nor did you know me. You (mis)took the garment (I wore) for my (true) self. And you did not recognize me.' "After it had said these things, it left rejoicing greatly. "Again, it came to the third Power, which is called 'Ignorance.' [It] examined the soul closely, saying, 'Where are you going? You are bound by wickedness. Indeed you are bound! Do not judge!' "And the soul said, 'Why do you judge me, since I have not passed judgement? I have been bound, but I have not bound (anything). They did not recognize me, but I have recognized that the universe is to be dissolved, both the things of earth
16 ⲉⲓⲧⲉ ⲛⲁ ⲧⲡ[ⲉ] ⲛ̣̅ⲧⲉⲣⲉⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ ⲟⲩⲱⲥϥ̅ ⲛ̅ⲧⲙⲉϩϣⲟⲙⲛⲧⲉ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉⲝⲟⲩⲥⲓⲁ ⲁⲥⲃⲱⲕ ⲉⲡⲥⲁ ⲛⲧⲡⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲁⲥⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲧⲙⲁϩϥⲧⲟⲉ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉⲝⲟⲩⲥⲓⲁ ⲁⲥⲣ̅ ⲥⲁϣϥⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲣⲫⲏ ⲧϣⲟⲣⲡ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲣⲫⲏ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲕⲁⲕⲉ ⲧⲙⲉϩⲥⲛ̅ⲧⲉ ⲧⲉⲡⲓⲑⲩⲙⲓⲁ ⲧⲙⲉϩϣⲟⲙⲛⲧⲉ ⲧⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲁⲧⲥⲟⲟⲩⲛ ⲧⲙⲉϩϥⲧⲟⲉ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲕⲱϩ ⲙ̅ⲡⲙⲟⲩ ⲧⲙⲉϩϯⲉ ⲧⲉ ⲧⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲣⲟ ⲛ̅ⲧⲥⲁⲣⲝ ⲧⲙⲉϩⲥⲟⲉ ⲧⲉ ⲧⲙⲛ̅ⲧⲥⲁⲃⲏ ⲛⲥⲉϭⲏ ⲛ̅ⲥⲁⲣⲝ ⲧⲙⲉϩⲥⲁϣϥⲉ ⲧⲉ ⲧⲥⲟⲫⲓⲁ [ⲛ̅]ⲣ̣ⲉϥⲛⲟⲩϭⲥ ⲛⲁϊ ⲛⲉ ⲧⲥⲁϣϥⲉ ⲛ̅ⲛ̣ⲉ̣[ⲝ]ⲟⲩⲥⲓⲁ ⲛⲧⲉ ⲧⲟⲣⲅⲏ ⲉⲩϣⲓⲛⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲯ̣ⲩⲭⲏ ϫⲉ ⲉⲣⲉⲛⲏⲩ ϫⲓⲛ ⲧⲱⲛ ⲧϩⲁⲧ̣ⲃⲣⲱⲙⲉ ⲏ ⲉⲣⲉⲃⲏⲕ ⲉⲧⲱⲛ ⲧⲟⲩⲁ̣ⲥϥⲙⲁ ⲁⲥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛ̅ϭⲓ ⲧⲉⲯⲩⲭⲏ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲥ ϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲉⲙⲁϩⲧⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϊ ⲁⲩⲕⲟⲛⲥϥ̅ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲡⲉⲧⲕⲧⲟ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟϊ ⲁⲩⲟⲩⲟⲥϥ<ϥ> ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲁⲉⲡⲓⲑⲩⲙⲓⲁ ⲁⲥϫⲱⲕ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲙⲛⲧⲁⲧⲥⲟⲟⲩ̅ ⲁⲥⲙⲟⲩ →ϩ̣ⲛ̅← ⲟ̣ⲩ̣ⲕ̣ⲟ̣ⲥ̣ⲙ̣ⲟⲥ ⲛ̅ⲧⲁⲩⲃⲟⲗⲧ) ⲉ-16 and those of heaven.' "When the soul had brought the third Power to naught, it went upward and saw the fourth Power. It had seven forms. The first form is darkness; the second is desire; the third is ignorance; the fourth is zeal for death; the fifth is the realm of the flesh; the sixth is the foolish wisdom of the flesh; the seventh is the wisdom of the wrathful person. These are the seven Powers of Wrath. "They interrogated the soul, 'Where are you coming from, human-killer, and where are you going, space-conqueror?' "The soul replied, saying, 'What binds me has been slain, and what surrounds me has been destroyed, and my desire has been brought to an end, and ignorance has died. In a [wor]ld, I was set loose
17 ⲃⲟⲗ ϩⲛ̅ⲛ ⲟⲩⲕⲟⲥⲙⲟⲥ [ⲁⲩ]ⲱ ϩⲛ̅ ⲟⲩⲧⲩⲡⲟⲥ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ϩⲛ ⲟⲩⲧⲩⲡⲟⲥ ⲉⲧⲙ̅ⲡⲥⲁ ⲛⲧⲡⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲧⲙⲣ̅ⲣⲉ ⲛⲧⲃ̅ϣⲉ ⲉⲧϣⲟⲟⲡ ⲡⲣⲟⲥ ⲟⲩⲟϊϣ ϫⲓⲛ ⲙ̅ⲡⲓⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲉⲓⲛⲁϫⲓ ⲛⲧⲁⲛⲁⲡⲁⲩⲥⲓⲥ ⲙⲡⲉⲭⲣⲟⲛⲟⲥ ⲙⲡⲕⲁⲓⲣⲟⲥ ⲙⲡ→ⲁⲓ←ⲱⲛ ϩⲛ̅ ⲛⲟⲩⲕⲁⲣⲱϥ ⲛⲧⲉⲣⲉⲙⲁⲣⲓϩⲁⲙ ϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲁⲥⲕⲁ ⲣⲱⲥ ϩⲱⲥⲧⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲁⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ϣⲁϫⲉ ⲛⲙ̅ⲙⲁⲥ ϣⲁ ⲡⲉⲉⲓⲙⲁ ??ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲇⲉ ⲛ̅ϭⲓ ⲁⲛⲇⲣⲉⲁⲥ ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ϥ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉⲥⲛⲏⲩ ϫⲉ ⲁϫⲓ ⲡⲉⲧⲉⲧⲛ̅ϫⲱ ⲙⲙⲟϥ ϩⲁ ⲡⲣⲁ ⲛ̅ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲁⲥϫ[ⲟ]ⲟⲩ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲙⲉⲛ ϯⲣ̅ⲡⲓⲥⲧⲉⲩⲉ ⲁⲛ ϫ̣ⲉ ⲁⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ϫⲉ ⲛⲁϊ ⲉϣϫⲉ ⲛⲓⲥⲃⲟⲟⲩⲉ ⲅⲁⲣ ϩⲛ̅ⲕⲉⲙⲉⲉⲩⲉ ⲛⲉ ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛϭⲓ ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲟⲥ ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ϩⲁ ⲡⲣⲁ ⲛⲛⲉⲉⲓϩⲃⲏⲩⲉ ⲛⲧⲉⲉⲓⲙⲓⲛⲉ ⲁϥϫⲛⲟⲩⲟⲩ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ϫⲉ ⲙⲏⲧⲓ̣ ⲁϥϣⲁϫⲉ ⲙⲛ̅ ⲟⲩⲥϩϊⲙⲉ ⲛϫⲓⲟⲩⲉ ⲉⲣⲟⲛ ϩⲛ ⲟⲩⲱⲛϩ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲁⲛ ⲉⲛⲛ̣ⲁ̣ⲕⲧⲟⲛ ϩⲱⲱⲛ ⲛ̅ⲧⲛ̅ⲥⲱⲧⲙ̅ ⲧⲏ̣ⲣ̣ⲛ̅ ⲛⲥⲱⲥ ⲛ̅ⲧ<ⲁ>ϥⲥⲟⲧⲡⲥ ⲛϩⲟⲩⲟ ⲉⲣ̣ⲟⲛ17 from a world [an]d in a type, from a type which is above, and (from) the chain of forgetfulness which exists in time. From this hour on, for the time of the due season of the aeon, I will receive rest i[n] silence.' " After Mary had said these things, she was silent, since it was up to this point that the Savior had spoken to her. Andrew responded, addressing the brothers and sisters, "Say what you will about the things she has said, but I do not believe that the S[a]vior said these things, f[or] indeed these teachings are strange ideas." Peter responded, bringing up similar concerns. He questioned them about the Savior: "Did he, then, speak with a woman in private without our knowing about it? Are we to turn around and listen to her? Did he choose her over us?"
18 ⲧⲟⲧⲉ ⲁ̣[ⲙ]ⲁⲣⲓϩⲁⲙ ⲣⲓⲙⲉ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲥ ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲟⲥ ⲡⲁⲥⲟⲛ ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲉ ϩϊⲉ ⲉⲕⲙⲉⲉⲩⲉ ⲉⲟⲩ ⲉⲕⲙⲉⲉⲩⲉ ϫⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲁϊⲙⲉⲉⲩⲉ ⲉⲣⲟⲟⲩ ⲙⲁⲩⲁⲁⲧ ϩⲙ̅ ⲡⲁϩⲏⲧ ⲏ ⲉⲉⲓϫⲓ ϭⲟⲗ ⲉⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛ̅ϭⲓ ⲗⲉⲩⲉⲓ ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲟ→ⲥ← ϫⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲉ ϫⲓⲛ ⲉⲛⲉϩ ⲕϣⲟⲡ ⲛⲣⲉϥⲛⲟⲩϭⲥ ϯⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲣⲟⲕ ⲧⲉⲛⲟⲩ ⲉⲕⲣ̅ⲅⲩⲙⲛⲁⲍⲉ ⲉϩⲛ ⲧⲉⲥϩϊⲙⲉ ⲛ̅ⲑⲉ ⲛ̅ⲛⲓⲁⲛⲧⲓⲕⲉⲓⲙⲉⲛⲟⲥ ⲉϣϫⲉ ⲁⲡⲥⲱⲧⲏⲣ ⲇⲉ ⲁⲁⲥ ⲛⲁⲝⲓⲟⲥ ⲛ̅ⲧⲕ ⲛⲓⲙ ⲇⲉ̣ ϩⲱⲱⲕ ⲉⲛⲟϫⲥ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲡⲁⲛⲧⲱ→ⲥ← ⲉⲣ̣ⲉⲡⲥⲱⲧⲏⲣ ⲥⲟⲟⲩⲛ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲥ ⲁⲥⲫⲁⲗⲱⲥ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲡⲁϊ ⲁϥⲟⲩⲟϣⲥ̅ ⲛ̅ϩⲟⲩⲟ ⲉⲣⲟⲛ ⲙⲁⲗⲗⲟⲛ ⲙⲁⲣⲛ̅ϣⲓⲡⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧⲛ̅ϯ ϩϊⲱⲱⲛ ⲙⲡⲣⲱⲙⲉ ⲛⲧⲉⲗⲓⲟⲥ ⲛ̣ⲧⲛ̣̅ϫⲡⲟ̣ϥ̣ ⲛ̣ⲁ̣ⲛ̣ ⲕ̣ⲁ̣ⲧ̣ⲁ ⲑ̣ⲉ ⲛ̅ⲧ̣ⲁϥϩⲱⲛ ⲉⲧⲟⲟⲧⲛ̅ ⲛ̅ⲧⲛ̅ⲧⲁϣⲉⲟⲉⲓϣ ⲙⲡⲉⲩⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲓⲟⲛ ⲉⲛⲕⲱ ⲁⲛ ⲉϩⲣⲁϊ ⲛⲕⲉϩⲟⲣⲟⲥ ⲟⲩⲇⲉ ⲕⲉⲛⲟⲙⲟⲥ̣ ⲡⲁⲣⲁ ⲡⲉⲛⲧⲁⲡ<ⲥⲱⲣ> ϫⲟⲟϥ ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲣⲉ18 Then [M]ary wept and said to Peter, "My brother Peter, what are you imagining? Do you think that I have thought up these things by myself in my heart or that I am telling lies about the Savior?" Levi answered, speaking to Peter, "Peter, you have always been a wrathful person. Now I see you contending against the woman like the Adversaries. For if the Savior made her worthy, who are you then for your part to reject her? Assuredly the Savior's knowledge of her is completely reliable. That is why he loved her more than us. Rather we should be ashamed. We should clothe ourselves with the perfect Human, acquire it for ourselves as he commanded us, and announce the good news, not laying down any other rule or law that differs from what the Savior said." After
19 [ 8+- ]ⲁ̣ϊ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲁⲩⲣ̅ⲁⲣⲭⲉⲓ ⲛ̅ⲃⲱⲕ [ⲉⲧⲣⲉⲩⲧ]ⲁⲙⲟ ⲛ̅ⲥⲉⲧⲁϣⲉⲟⲉⲓ̣ϣ

ⲡ̣[ⲉ]ⲩ̣ⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲓⲟⲛ ⲕⲁⲧⲁ ⲙⲁ̣ⲣⲓϩⲁⲙⲙ
19 [he had said these] things, they started going out [to] teach and to preach.

[The Gos]pel according to Mary

Notes and Quotes

Context and Textual Parallels

Page 7
Matthew 11.15; Mark 4.9 = Luke 8.8; Mark 4.23; 7.16; Luke 14.35 (ears to hear).
Philip 46c: ⲕⲟⲓⲛⲱⲛⲓⲁ ⲇⲉ ⲛⲓⲙ' ⲛ̅ⲧⲁϩϣⲱⲡⲉ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ϩⲛ̅ ⲛⲉϯⲛⲉ ⲁⲛ' ⲛ̅ⲛⲟⲩⲉⲣⲏⲩ ⲟⲩ<ⲙⲛⲧ>ⲛⲟⲉⲓⲕ' ⲧⲉ' / “Every union that has occurred between those unlike each other is adultery.” [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]

Page 8
Luke 24.37; John 14.27; 20.19, 21, 26 (peace to you).
Luke 17.21b (the kingdom is within you).
Matthew 4.23; 9.35; 24.14; Luke 16.16 (the gospel of the kingdom).

Page 9
Matthew 27.55-56, 61 = Mark 15.40-41, 47; Matthew 28.1 = Mark 16.1; Mark 16.9; Luke 8.1-3; 24.10-11; John 19.25; 20.1-18 (Mary Magdalene).
Matthew 28.19-20 (make disciples of all nations/gentiles).
Matthew 28.17 (some doubted).

Page 10
Philip 59-60: ⲧⲥⲟⲫⲓⲁ ⲉⲧⲟⲩⲙⲟⲩⲧ̣[ⲉ ⲉⲣⲟ]ⲥ̣ ϫⲉ ⲧⲥⲧⲓⲣⲁ ⲛ̅ⲧⲟⲥ ⲧⲉ ⲧⲙⲁⲁ[ⲩ ⲛ̅ⲛ̅ⲁⲅ]ⲅ̣ⲉⲗⲟⲥ ⲁⲩⲱ̣ [ⲧ]ⲕⲟⲓ̣- ⲛⲱⲛⲟⲥ ⲙ̅ⲡⲥ[... ⲙⲁ]ⲣ̣ⲓⲁ ⲧⲙⲁⲅ̣[ⲇⲁ]ⲗⲏⲛⲏ ⲛⲉⲣⲉ ⲡ.[..... ⲙⲉ] ⲙ̣̅ⲙⲟ̣[ⲥ ⲛ̅]ϩⲟⲩⲟ ⲁⲙ̅ⲙⲁⲑⲏⲧ[ⲏⲥ ⲧⲏⲣⲟⲩ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲛⲉϥ]ⲁⲥⲡⲁⲍⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲥ ⲁⲧⲉⲥ̣[...... ⲛ̅ϩⲁϩ] ⲛ̅ⲥⲟⲡ' ⲁⲡⲕⲉⲥⲉⲉⲡⲉ ⲙ̣̅[ⲙⲁⲑⲏⲧⲏⲥ ..].ⲉⲣⲟ.[.].[..]ⲙⲁ ⲡⲉϫⲁⲩ ⲛⲁϥ' ϫⲉ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲟⲩ ⲕⲙⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲥ ⲡⲁⲣⲁⲣⲟⲛ' ⲧⲏⲣⲛ̅ ⲁϥ'ⲟⲩⲱϣⲃ̅ ⲛ̅ϭⲓ ⲡⲥⲱⲧⲏⲣ' ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ⲛⲁⲩ {ⲡⲉ- ϫⲁϥ ⲛⲁⲩ} ϫⲉ ⲉⲧⲃⲉ ⲟⲩ ϯⲙⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲁⲛ' ⲛ̅ⲧⲉⲥϩⲉ ⲟⲩⲃ̅ⲗⲗⲉ ⲙⲛ̅ ⲟⲩⲁ ⲉϥⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲉⲩϩⲙ̅ ⲡⲕⲁⲕⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡⲉⲥⲛⲁⲩ ⲥⲉϣⲟⲃⲉ ⲉⲛⲟⲩⲉⲣⲏⲩ ⲁⲛ ϩⲟⲧⲁⲛ' ⲉⲣϣⲁ ⲡⲟⲩⲟⲉⲓⲛ ⲉⲓ' ⲧⲟⲧⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲛⲁⲃⲟⲗ' ϥⲛⲁⲛⲁⲩ ⲉⲡⲟⲩⲟⲉⲓⲛ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲡⲉⲧⲟ ⲃ̅ⲃⲗ̅ⲗⲉ ⲉϥⲛⲁϭⲱ ϩⲙ̅ ⲡⲕⲁⲕⲉ / As for the Wisdom who is called "the barren," she is the mother of the angels. And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene [...] loved her more than all the disciples, and used to kiss her often on her mouth. The rest of the disciples [...]. They said to him "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them,"Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness." [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]
Matthew 6.21 = Luke 12.34 (where your treasure is, your heart too).

Page 15
Matthew 7.1 = Luke 6.37a (do not judge).

Page 16
1 Corinthians 1.19-20, 26 (wisdom of the world).
2 Corinthians 1.12 (wisdom of the flesh).

Page 17
Matthew 4.18-20 = Mark 1.16–18; Matthew 10.2 = Mark 3.18 = Luke 6.14; John 1.35-42, 44; Acts 1.13 (Andrew).
Luke 24.10-11: 10 ἦσαν δὲ ἡ μαγδαληνὴ μαρία καὶ ἰωάννα καὶ μαρία ἡ ἰακώβου· καὶ αἱ λοιπαὶ σὺν αὐταῖς ἔλεγον πρὸς τοὺς ἀποστόλους ταῦτα. 11 καὶ ἐφάνησαν ἐνώπιον αὐτῶν ὡσεὶ λῆρος τὰ ῥήματα ταῦτα, καὶ ἠπίστουν αὐταῖς. / 10 Now they were Mary Magdalene and Joanna and Mary the mother of James; also the other women with them were telling these things to the apostles. 11 But these words appeared to them as nonsense, and they would not believe them.
Thomas 114: 114 ⲡⲉϫⲉ ⲥⲓⲙⲱⲛ ⲡⲉⲧⲣⲟⲥ ⲛⲁⲩ ϫⲉ ⲙⲁⲣⲉ ⲙⲁⲣⲓϩⲁⲙ ⲉⲓ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲛ̅ϩⲏⲧⲛ̅ ϫⲉ ⲛ̅ⲥϩⲓⲟⲙⲉ ⲙ̅ⲡϣⲁ ⲁⲛ' ⲙ̅ⲡⲱⲛϩ ⲡⲉϫⲉ <ⲓⲥ> ϫⲉ ⲉⲓⲥϩⲏⲏⲧⲉ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ' ϯⲛⲁⲥⲱⲕ' ⲙ̅ⲙⲟⲥ ϫⲉⲕⲁⲁⲥ ⲉⲉⲓⲛⲁⲁⲥ ⲛ̅ϩⲟⲟⲩⲧ' ϣⲓⲛⲁ ⲉⲥⲛⲁϣⲱⲡⲉ ϩⲱⲱⲥ ⲛ̅ⲟⲩⲡ<ⲛⲁ> ⲉϥⲟⲛϩ ⲉϥⲉⲓⲛⲉ ⲙ̅ⲙⲱⲧⲛ̅ ⲛ̅ϩⲟⲟⲩⲧ ϫⲉ ⲥϩⲓⲙⲉ ⲛⲓⲙ' ⲉⲥⲛⲁⲁⲥ ⲛ̅ϩⲟⲟⲩⲧ' ⲥⲛⲁⲃⲱⲕ' ⲉϩⲟⲩⲛ ⲉⲧⲙ<ⲛⲧ>ⲉⲣⲟ ⲛⲙ̅ⲡⲏⲩⲉ / 114 Simon Peter said to Him, "Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of Life." Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the Kingdom of Heaven." [Download the New Athena Unicode font to view Coptic.]

Page 18
Matthew 9.9 = Mark 2.14 (Levi).
Galatians 3.27 (clothed with Christ).
Ephesians 4.13; Colossians 1.28; James 3.2 (perfection of humans).

Page 19
Preaching of Peter apud Clement of Alexandria, Miscellanies 6.5 (43.3): διὰ τοῦτό φησιν ὁ Πέτρος εἰρηκέναι τὸν κύριον τοῖς ἀποστόλοις· «ἐὰν μὲν οὖν τις θελήσῃ τοῦ Ἰσραὴλ μετανοήσας διὰ τοῦ ὀνόματός μου πιστεύειν ἐπὶ τὸν θεόν, ἀφεθήσονται αὐτῷ αἱ ἁμαρτίαι. μετὰ <δὲ> δώδεκα ἔτη ἐξέλθετε εἰς τὸν κόσμον. μή τις εἴπῃ· οὐκ ἠκούσαμεν.» / Wherefore Peter says that the Lord said to the apostles: "If anyone of Israel then wishes to repent and by my name to believe in God, his sins shall be forgiven him. After twelve years go forth into the world so that no one may say: 'We have not heard.'"

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 3525, translation by Ehrman and Plese:“. . . nor have I set forth any law like the lawgiver . . . .” When he said these things, he departed. But they were distressed, weeping greatly and saying, “How can we go to the nations preaching the gospel of the kingdom of the Son of Man? If indeed they did not spare him, how will they spare us?” Then Mary arose and, greeting them, kissed each one and said, “Brothers, do not weep nor grieve nor be of two minds. For his grace will be with you, watching over you. Rather, let us give thanks to his greatness, for he has joined us together and made us human beings.” Having said this, Mary turned their mind over to the good, and they began to discuss with one another the sayings of the Savior. Peter said to Mary, “Sister, we know that you were greatly loved by the Savior, as no other woman. Tell us, therefore, whatever you know of the words of the Savior, which we have not heard.” Mary replied, saying, “Whatever is hidden from you and I remember, I will proclaim to you.” She began with these words to them: “One time when I saw the Lord in a vision, I said, ‘Lord, today I saw you.’ He replied, saying, ‘Blessed are you . . . .’”

Papyrus Rylands 463 Recto, translation by Ehrman and Plese: (“‘. . . I will receive,) . . . for the remaining course of the appointed time of the age, repose in silence.’” Having said these things, Mary fell silent, as though the Savior had spoken up to this point. Andrew said, “Brothers, what do you think about that which has been said? I for one do not believe that the Savior said these things; for they seem different from what he himself taught.” Pondering these matters, (Peter said,) “Did the Savior speak secretly to a woman and not openly, that we all might hear? That she was more worthy than us, is this what he wished to show?” . . . .

Papyrus Rylands 463 Verso, translation by Ehrman and Plese: “. . . of the Savior?” Levi said to Peter, “Peter, you are always prone to anger. And now you are disputing with this woman as if you were her adversary. If the Savior considered her worthy, who are you to despise her? For surely he knew her, and loved her dearly. Let us rather be ashamed and, clothed with the perfect human, do what we have been commanded. Let us preach the gospel, setting no rules nor establishing any laws, as the Savior said.” Having said these things, Levi left and began to preach the gospel. ~ The gospel according to Mary.

Works Consulted and Links

Bart Ehrman and Zlatko Plese, The Apocryphal Gospels: Texts and Translations.
Mark M. Mattison, The Gospel of Mary Coptic-English Interlinear.
Early Christian Writings: The Gospel of Thomas.
Biblical Criticism & History Forum: Other Gospel Texts.

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 3525: http://163.1.169.40/gsdl/collect/POxy/i ... .hires.jpg.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Re: The gospel of Mary.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Andrew and Peter come off as sexist jerks.

But Levi I like.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Peter is a little less harsh here than in GThomas 114.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... as114.html
(114) Simon Peter said to them, "Mary should leave us, for females are not worthy of life." Jesus said, "See, I am going to attract her to make her male so that she too might become a living spirit that resembles you males. For every female (element) that makes itself male will enter the kingdom of heaven."

I wonder if 'Peter' represents the same opposition in each case, or whether in the Gospel of Mary the reference is to 'Catholics' and in gThomas the reference is to stricter gnostics.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:Peter is a little less harsh here than in GThomas 114.

(114) Simon Peter said to them, "Mary should leave us, for females are not worthy of life." Jesus said, "See, I am going to attract her to make her male so that she too might become a living spirit that resembles you males. For every female (element) that makes itself male will enter the kingdom of heaven."

I wonder if 'Peter' represents the same opposition in each case, or whether in the Gospel of Mary the reference is to 'Catholics' and in gThomas the reference is to stricter gnostics.

Will ask your personal opinion here Peter.

When they are talking about making her a Male. Are they talking about her "conscious thought" ?

Making her think like a male.

[ben could answer if he was inclined]
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

outhouse wrote:

When they are talking about making her a Male. Are they talking about her "conscious thought" ?

No ... The angels are male. Adam is made in the image of God, and Eve is made from the rib of Adam.

And even today it is easy to make the "sexist" remark that the feminine part of humanity cares more about material things and kiddos. Most consumer spending is by females. All kids are born to females.

So the disagreement in gThomas wasn't about whether females could ascend to heaven. They could not. It was whether females could be made like males, so that they could ascend to heaven.

The gnostic salvation comes from spurning material things and carnal urges, in order to unburden the rational soul from its fetters here.

PS -- Most were also believers in reincarnation, so even the 'strict' ones (usually) thought females could be given another chance when born as males (an idea straight out of Plato).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Good question, and one I am not well positioned to answer yet.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:
outhouse wrote:

No ... The angels are male. Adam is made in the image of God, and Eve is made from the rib of Adam.

And even today it is easy to make the "sexist" remark that the feminine part of humanity cares more about material things and kiddos. Most consumer spending is by females. All kids are born to females.

So the disagreement in gThomas wasn't about whether females could ascend to heaven. They could not. It was whether females could be made like males, so that they could ascend to heaven.

The gnostic salvation comes from spurning material things and carnal urges, in order to unburden the rational soul from its fetters here.

PS -- Most were also believers in reincarnation, so even the 'strict' ones (usually) thought females could be given another chance when born as males (an idea straight out of Plato).
Thank you.

I had a feeling it was not simple. :notworthy: