Apollinari(u)s of Hierapolis on the gospel of Matthew.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Apollinari(u)s of Hierapolis on the gospel of Matthew.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

The Chronicon Paschale appears to still lack a thoroughgoing English translation; sections and excerpts have been translated, but apparently not the entire thing. Accordingly, it can be difficult to access some of its testimonia to early Christian texts.

So here is one such testimonium, one apparently concerned with Quartodecimanism and purportedly penned by Apollinaris Claudius of Hierapolis in Phrygia (middle of to late century II). The Greek text is from the TLG, which I believe reproduces the Dindorf edition, though I have occasionally modified the punctuation. The English translation is my own, and may be used freely.

Chronicon Paschale, TLG/Dindorf Edition
Chronicon Paschale, Translation Mine
Καὶ Ἀπολλινάριος δὲ ὁ ὁσιώτατος ἐπίσκοπος Ἱεραπόλεως τῆς Ἀσίας, ὁ ἐγγὺς τῶν ἀποστολικῶν χρόνων γεγονώς, ἐν τῷ περὶ τοῦ πάσχα λόγῳ τὰ παραπλήσια ἐδίδαξε, λέγων οὕτως· «Εἰσὶ τοίνυν οἳ δι' ἄγνοιαν φιλονεικοῦσι περὶ τούτων, συγγνωστὸν πρᾶγμα πεπονθότες· ἄγνοια γὰρ οὐ κατηγορίαν ἀναδέχεται, ἀλλὰ διδαχῆς προσδεῖται· καὶ λέγουσιν ὅτι τῇ ιδʹ τὸ πρόβατον μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν ἔφαγεν ὁ κύριος, τῇ δὲ μεγάλῃ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν ἀζύμων αὐτὸς ἔπαθεν, καὶ διηγοῦνται Ματθαῖον οὕτω λέγειν ὡς νενοήκασιν· ὅθεν ἀσύμφωνός τε νόμῳ ἡ νόησις αὐτῶν καὶ στασιάζειν δοκεῖ κατ' αὐτοὺς τὰ εὐαγγέλια.» And Apollinarius also, the most hallowed bishop of Hierapolis of Asia, who was near apostolic times, in the volume concerning the Passover taught similar things, speaking thus: "There are some, then, who raise disputes about these things through ignorance, thus suffering from a pardonable circumstance, for ignorance does not admit of accusation but rather requires further teaching; and they say that on the 14th the Lord ate the lamb with the disciples, and that on the great day of Unleavened Bread he himself suffered, and they report Matthew as speaking thus, just as they opine. Wherefore their opinion is at discord with the law, and the gospels seem to be at variance against them."
Καὶ πάλιν ὁ αὐτὸς ἐν τῷ αὐτῷ λόγῳ γέγραφεν αὕτως· «Ἡ ιδʹ τὸ ἀληθινὸν τοῦ κυρίου πάσχα, ἡ θυσία ἡ μεγάλη, ὁ ἀντὶ τοῦ ἀμνοῦ παῖς θεοῦ, ὁ δεθείς, ὁ δήσας τὸν ἰσχυρόν, καὶ ὁ κριθεὶς κριτὴς ζώντων καὶ νεκρῶν, καὶ ὁ παραδοθεὶς εἰς χεῖρας ἁμαρτωλῶν ἵνα σταυρωθῇ, ὁ ὑψωθεὶς ἐπὶ κεράτων μονοκέρωτος καὶ ὁ τὴν ἁγίαν πλευρὰν ἐκκεντηθείς, ὁ ἐκχέας ἐκ τῆς πλευρᾶς αὐτοῦ τὰ δύο πάλιν καθάρσια, ὕδωρ καὶ αἷμα, λόγον καὶ πνεῦμα, καὶ ὁ ταφεὶς ἐν ἡμέρᾳ τῇ τοῦ πάσχα, ἐπιτεθέντος τῷ μνήματι τοῦ λίθου.» And again the same man in the same volume has written likewise: "The 14th is the true Passover of the Lord, the great sacrifice, the child of God instead of the lamb, the one bound, the one who has bound the strong, and the judge who has judged living and dead; even the one who has been delivered into the hands of sinners in order to be crucified, the unicorn lifted up on horns and pierced in his holy side, the one who had pour out from his side the two things which are cleansing again: water and blood, word and spirit; and the one buried on the day of the Passover, a stone having been placed upon the memorial."

That weird business in the second excerpt about the unicorn on horns is similar to the mystic symbolism that we find in Justin Martyr, Dialogue With Trypho 91.

At any rate, the first excerpt is usually taken as referring to the gospel of Matthew, though the text does not specifically call it a gospel, reserving that term for the next clause, in which the unnamed opponents using Matthew in this way are said to be out of tune with "the law and the gospels". I imagine various interpretations are possible here.

Part of the above text, with an alternate translation that you can compare to and contrast with mine as needed, is offered (in little snippets) in chapter 4 of Edouard Massaux, The Influence of the Gospel of Saint Matthew on Christian Literature Before Saint Irenaeus.

Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Re: Apollinari(u)s of Hierapolis on the gospel of Matthew.

Post by Secret Alias »

Notice the musical terminology. Was quite common in the period (Clement, Tatian). Diatessaron and Gospel of Concord (Ephrem) were musical terms. Not sure why that was.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Isn't there a translation in the Liverpool university press series "Translated Texts for Historians"?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Yes, for the years 284-628 there is a translation in that series. This volume is listed as a "partial English translation" of the Chronicon Paschale in some bibliographies, and I cannot find anything nearly so extensive for the other years. If you know of others, I would love to see them.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

No, that's the volume I have. There must be a Latin translation around, surely?
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Dindorf's 19th century text has a Latin translation at the bottom. Vol.1, p.13 is here, and has the Apollinaris text:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N3A ... &q&f=false
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Roger Pearse wrote:Dindorf's 19th century text has a Latin translation at the bottom. Vol.1, p.13 is here, and has the Apollinaris text:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N3A ... &q&f=false
Well, quite. I gave a link to the Internet Archive's version of this same volume and page in the OP.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Curious - I posted the Latin and it has vanished. Very odd.

Et Apollinarius sanctissimus Hierapoleos Asiae Episcopus, qui Apostolicis temporibus proximus fuit, in libro quem de Paschate conscripsit, consentanea docuit, hisce verbis: Quidam igitur sunt qui ex ignorantia de hisce excitant contentiones, rem venia dignam passi (neque enim accusationem admittit ignorantia, sed eget doctrina) aiuntque xiv agnum cum Discipulis manducasse Dominum, magna vero Azymorum die passum esse, atque ita dicere Matthaeum, uti illum intelligunt, unde legi contraria est eorum interpretatio, iisque adversari videntur Evangelia.

Rursum in eodem libro sic ille scripsit: Decima quarta veri Paschatis Domini, sacrificium magnum, pro agno Dei filius, qui vinctus fortem vinxit et qui judicatus est, judex est vovorum et mortuorum, et qui traditus est in manus peccatorum ut crucifigeretur, qui super cornua unicornis est exaltus, et qui in sacro latere percusses est, qui ex latere suo duo fudit purgatoria, aquam et sanguinem, verbum et spiritum, et qui Paschatis die sepultus est, lapide monumento imposito.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Which certainly refers to unicorns.

Sorry - I didn't see your link to Dindorf, for some reason, but was just looking for a translation of some sort.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Don't let the mythicists know that ALL the early Christian sources seemed to have believed in unicorns. God knows what that's going to say about their critical thinking abilities and capacity to believe in fables. Next your going to tell me that there is no such thing as the phoenix, a bird which dies and is reborn in fire in the region of Arabia where they collect cinnamon. I just saw a Simcha documentary on this bird. Apparently it still lives in Jesus's tomb ...
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote