Source materials for the Christian gospels.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Source materials for the Christian gospels.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Recent discussions on this forum have made me want to try to determine just what kinds of materials can plausibly be posited as sources for the Christian gospels (not just the canonical ones: all of them). I do not intend this thread to be about debating the merits of each item, and my initial list is going to include a couple of possibilities I consider to be marginal candidates. But I want to answer the question, given any particular verse in the gospels: "What might the immediate source of this juicy tidbit be?"

Here is my list; I will add to it if others have good ideas. Each item will come with a possible example of that kind of sourcing (in parentheses):
  • Jewish scriptural prophecies fulfilled (the birth of the Jesus based on Isaiah 7.14).
  • Jewish scriptural models imitated (Jesus as a new or better Moses or Elijah/Elisha).
  • Jewish scriptural types exploited (Jesus as the Passover lamb).
  • Jewish traditions now ensconced in the Mishnah/Talmud, the Targumim, the DSS, and other texts (Jesus pronounces the divine name in Mark 14.62).
  • Jewish traditions emanating from contemporary or near contemporary religious figures (John the Baptist, Gamaliel).
  • Anecdotes or experiences from Jewish history/historians (a detachment from Legio X Fretensis becomes a herd of swine).
  • Anecdotes or experiences from Christian life among the readers of the gospel (inroads by "false prophets" framed as dominical predictions).
  • Anecdotes or experiences from pagan history/historians (Jesus as a miracle worker based on Apollonius of Tyana).
  • Christian liturgy (the Lord's prayer; the Last Supper as eucharist; the baptismal formula in John 3.3).
  • Christian prophecy (a prophetic prediction of the end becomes the Olivet discourse).
  • Christian teaching (a catechismic catena much like Didache 1.3b-5a becomes Matthew 5.38-48; 7.12a and Luke 6.27-36).
  • Christian praxis (concern for the poor).
  • Christian gospel writings (Q, Signs Source, Passion Narrative).
  • Christian nongospel writings (influence from the Pauline epistles).
  • Jewish, Christian, or pagan gnostic speculations in story form (the Word made flesh in the Johannine prologue).
  • Eyewitness testimony (Mark basing his gospel on Petrine or similar preaching).
  • Sheer invention for the sake of storytelling (the beloved disciple reclines on Jesus' breast "like so" [οὕτως] in John 13.25).
  • Sheer invention for the sake of theology or prejudice (the Jews condemn themselves in Matthew 27.25 or implicate themselves in Peter 7.25).
  • Confusion or intermixing of Jesus of Nazareth with other figures named Jesus (Joshua, Jesus ben Ananias).
  • Visions, dreams, revelations, hallucinations, or divine signs or encounters (the resurrection appearances).
  • Specialized popular traditions (magical protocols as found in the magical papyri inform the synoptic exorcism stories).
  • Generalized popular traditions (a Galilean feast tradition becomes the feeding of the 5000/4000).
  • Classical or Greco-Roman texts (influences from the Odyssey and the Iliad).
  • Linguistic puns, transliterations, translations, or idioms (translations from Aramaic to Greek or from Greek to Latin).
  • Imperial propaganda (Mark 1.1 a counter both to the spirit and to the letter of the Priene inscription).
  • Numerology or gematria (the number of fish in John 21.11 is a triangular number and much more).
This list is off the top of my head. No way can it be exhaustive. What are some others? (Please include an example with each item so I know for certain what is meant.)

Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 15 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Re: Source materials for the Christian gospels.

Post by Bernard Muller »

What about eyewitness(es) testimony?
What about true present & past events affecting Christian communities?

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Healing pericopes - parallels with descriptions of Vespasian's healings (Tacitus Histories 4:81; Seutonius Vita Vespasian);
Song of Songs passages
Last edited by MrMacSon on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote:What about eyewitness(es) testimony?

Cordially, Bernard
Doesn't really apply.

People that may have had a passing view of crucified men and heard the theology and mythology surrounding the martyrdom?

This you have something with as a foundation to what Ben started
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Ben C. Smith wrote:What are some others?

Ben.
Maybe Honi circle drawer

Apollonius of Tyana

Martyrdom of a crucified Aramaic Galilean

Progression of Johns teachings by means of oral tradition received at Passover yearly.

Typical Aramaic Galilean theology adopted through cross cultural oral tradition.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Good one. I will add it.
Can you give an example from the gospels? (I am not sure what you mean.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

outhouse wrote:

Cordially, Bernard
Doesn't really apply.
It certainly does in this case. This is just a list of possibilities. I actually intended to include a similar item on the list for which Rufus and Alexander was going to be the example, but simply forgot in the process of compiling the list. But "eyewitness testimony" is better put than what I was going to use, anyway.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Psychedelic hallucinations
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

outhouse wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:What are some others?

Ben.
Maybe Honi circle drawer
This one fits under "anecdotes from Jewish history/historians". So would drawing inspiration from Jesus of Ananias.
Apollonius of Tyana
Good one. I will add it as an example for a new category.
Martyrdom of a crucified Aramaic Galilean
This would fall under either eyewitness testimony or anecdotes from Jewish history.
Progression of Johns teachings by means of oral tradition received at Passover yearly.
Can you give an example from the gospels of a pericope or verse or theme that may fall into this category?
Typical Aramaic Galilean theology adopted through cross cultural oral tradition.
This sounds like a Jewish version of my category "Christian teaching". Does that sound right? And can you give an example?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Can you give an example from the gospels? (I am not sure what you mean.)
The fall of Jerusalem, its destruction and killing of its people (Mk 12:1, 9: 13:1-2, 14).
False Christs and prophets threatening to destroy Mark's community (Mk 13:6, 21-22).

There are many more, as shown in gMark parables (disguised prophecies in order to address concerns in the Christian community:
http://historical-jesus.info/appd.html

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed