the Doctrine of Original Sin

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

the Doctrine of Original Sin

Post by MrMacSon »

The history of the doctrine of Original Sin, as outlined in wikipedia, is interesting -
Original sin, also called ancestral sin, is the Christian doctrine of humanity's state of sin resulting from the fall of man, namely the sin of consuming from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, stemming from Adam's 'rebellion' in Eden.
  • This condition has been characterized in many ways, ranging from something as insignificant as a slight deficiency, or a tendency toward sin yet without collective guilt, referred to as a "sin nature", to something as drastic as total depravity, or 'automatic guilt' of all humans through 'collective guilt'.
History of the doctrine

The doctrine of ancestral fault (προγονικὸν ἁμάρτημα progonikon harmatema), i.e. the sins of the forefathers leading to punishment of their descendants, was presented as a tradition of immemorial antiquity in ancient Greek religion by Celsus in his True Doctrine, a polemic attacking Christianity. Celsus is quoted as attributing to "a priest of Apollo or of Zeus" the saying that "the mills of the gods grind slowly, even to children's children, and to those who are born after them."[10] The idea of divine justice taking the form of collective punishment is also ubiquitous in the Hebrew Bible.[11]
  • 10 Ὀψὲ, φησι, θεῶν ἀλέουσι μύλοι, και Ἐς παίδων παῖδας τοί κεν μετόπισθη γένωνται. Gagné, Renaud (2013). Ancestral Fault in Ancient Greece. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 60. ISBN 978-1-107-03980-3.
    • Note the reference to the Iliad and "ancestral fault as a major doctrine of Greek religion" [p.61]
St Paul's idea of redemption hinged on the contrast between the sin of Adam and the death and resurrection of Jesus. "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned".[Rom. 5:12] "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive."[1 Cor. 15:22] Up till then the transgression in the Garden of Eden had not been given great significance. As the Jesus scholar, Geza Vermes has said:
  • Paul believed that Adam's transgression in a mysterious way affected the nature of the human race. The primeval sin, a Pauline creation with no biblical or post-biblical Jewish precedent, was irreparable by ordinary human effort.[14]
The formalized Christian doctrine of original sin was first developed in the 2nd century by Irenaeus, the Bishop of Lyon, in his struggle against Gnosticism.[2] Irenaeus contrasted [Gnostic] doctrine with the view that the Fall was a step in the wrong direction by Adam, with whom, Irenaeus believed, his descendants had some solidarity or identity.[15] Irenaeus believed that Adam's sin had grave consequences for humanity, that it is the source of human sinfulness, mortality and enslavement to sin, and that all human beings participate in his sin and share his guilt.[16]

The Greek Fathers emphasized the cosmic dimension of the Fall, namely that since Adam human beings are born into a fallen world, but held fast to belief that man, though fallen, is free.[2] They thus did not teach that human beings are deprived of free will and involved in total depravity, which is one understanding of original sin.[17][18] During this period the doctrines of human depravity and the inherently sinful nature of human flesh were taught by Gnostics, and orthodox Christian writers took great pains to counter them.[19][20]

Historian Robin Lane Fox argues that the foundation of the doctrine of original sin, as accepted by the Church, was ultimately based on a mistranslation of ... Romans 5:12–21 by Augustine, in his "On the Grace of Christ, and on Original Sin".[23]

23 Fox, Robin Lane (2006). The Unauthorized Version: Truth and Fiction in the Bible. London: Penguin. ISBN 9780141022963.

Last edited by MrMacSon on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrMacSon

Re: the Doctrine of Original Sin

Post by MrMacSon »

Interestingly,
Although not named in the Bible, the doctrine of 'the Fall' [of Mam] comes from a 'biblical' interpretation of Genesis chapter 3. At first, Adam and Eve lived with God in the Garden of Eden, but the serpent tempted them into eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, which God had forbidden. After doing so, they became ashamed of their nakedness and God expelled them from the Garden to prevent them from eating from the tree of life and becoming immortal.

For many Christian denominations the doctrine of the fall is closely related to that of original sin. They believe that the fall brought sin into the world, corrupting the entire natural world, including human nature, causing all humans to be born into original sin, a state from which they cannot attain eternal life without the grace of God. The Eastern Orthodox Church accepts the concept of the fall but rejects the idea that the guilt of original sin is passed down through generations, based in part on the passage Ezekiel 18:20 that says a son is not guilty of the sins of his father. Calvinist Protestants believe that Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice for the elect, so they may be redeemed from their sin. Judaism does not have a concept of "the fall" or "original sin" and has varying other interpretations of the Eden narrative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_man
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Augustine [354–430AD/CE]... developed the doctrine, seeing it as based on the New Testament teaching of Paul the Apostle (Romans 5:12–21 and 1 Corinthians 15:22) and the Old Testament verse of Psalm 51:5.
  • Augustine used Ciceronian Stoic concept of passions, to interpret St. Paul's doctrine of universal sin and redemption. In that view, also sexual desire itself as well as other bodily passions were consequence of the original sin,....

Humanity will be liberated from passions, and pure affections will be restored only when all sin has been washed away and ended, that is in the resurrection of the dead.
Tertullian, Cyprian, Ambrose and Ambrosiaster considered that humanity shares in Adam's sin, transmitted by human generation.

Church reaction
Opposition to Augustine's ideas about original sin, which he had developed in reaction to Pelagianism, arose rapidly.[48] After a long and bitter struggle the general principles of Augustine's teaching were confirmed within Western Christianity by many councils, especially the Second Council of Orange in 529.[2] However, while the Church condemned Pelagius, it did not endorse Augustine entirely[49] and, while Augustine's authority was accepted, he was interpreted in the light of writers such as Cassian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin
Romans 5 refers to sinners before vv. 12-21;

Romans 5:6-7
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person —though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
  • (Previously, Romans 5:1-5 refers to peace and being "justified by faith"; endurance; and "God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.")
Romans 5:12-21 (ESV)
12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all anthropoi/people because all sinned— 13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

15 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. 16 And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. 17 For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.

18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men/people, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men/people. 19 For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. 20 Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21 so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
1 Corinthians 15:22 (ESV) -
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
- sits within a passage about the resurrection and doctrine around it, including that people are 'still in sin' even if the key tenet of Christianity - the resurrection - did not happen -
17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.
18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
19 If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.
20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first-fruits of those who have fallen asleep.
21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But each in his own order: Christ the first-fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.
24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power.
25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Likewise, Psalm 51 has more references to sin than that single passage referred to in the passage that wikipedia says others often cite ie. Psalm 51:5 (and Psalm 51 also focuses on salvation & sacrifice) -

1. Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your steadfast love;
    according to your abundant mercy
    blot out my transgressions.
  2. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin!
  3. For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is ever before me.
  4. Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
    so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment.
  5. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
  6. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.
  7. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
  8. Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
  9. Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.
  10. Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right/steadfast spirit within me.
  11. Cast me not away from your presence,
    and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
  12. Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and uphold me with a willing spirit.
  13. Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    and sinners will return to you.
  14. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
    O God of my salvation,
    and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.
  15. O Lord, open my lips,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
  16. For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
    you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
  17. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
  18. Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
    build up the walls of Jerusalem;
  19. then will you delight in right sacrifices,
    in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings;
    then bulls will be offered on your altar.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Religions say that humanity was created to dwell in a perfect world . The world we know, not being perfect, requires an explanation for its deterioration; the fall from a position of privilege.

Ovid in The Metamorphoses tells the story of creation.

BK I:68-88 HUMANKIND
"As yet there was no animal capable of higher thought that could be ruler of all the rest. Then Humankind was born. Either the creator god, source of a better world, seeded it from the divine, or the newborn earth just drawn from the highest heavens still contained fragments related to the skies, so that Prometheus [p. 633], blending them with streams of rain, moulded them into an image of the all-controlling gods. While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."
The newly made humans lived in a paradise during the first Golden Era of human history.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

I guess "original sin" was the first "guilt trip" imposed on young minds raised in the Christian tradition.

All major religions seem to have at least one oppressive doctrine based on the social mores prevalent in whatever corner of the earth they originated, some hundreds and some thousands of years ago.

This has got to be the most unpleasant side effect of the human mind's tendency to create gods to "explain" what seems unexplainable to mankind in any given age and place. While most folks eventually decide to just work with them, rather than reject them as a kind of neurosis that produces nothing productive, just endless stomach knots, hand wringing and sleepless nights (not the pleasant kind, mind you, but nightmares).

DCH
iskander

Post by iskander »

One hideous nightmare

" 1.3. The Latin Fathers
16. In countering Pelagius, Augustine was led to state that infants who die without Baptism are consigned to hell.[24] He appealed to the Lord's precept, John 3:5, and to the Church's liturgical practice. Why are little children brought to the baptismal font, especially infants in danger of death, if not to assure them entrance into the Kingdom of God? Why are they subjected to exorcisms and exsufflations if they do not have to be delivered from the devil?[25]

Why are they born again if they do not need to be made new? Liturgical practice confirms the Church's belief that all inherit Adam's sin and must be transferred from the power of darkness into the kingdom of light (Col 1:13).[26]There is only one Baptism, the same for infants and adults, and it is for the forgiveness of sins.[27]

If little children are baptized, then, it is because they are sinners. Although they clearly are not guilty of personal sin, according to Romans 5:12 (in the Latin translation available to Augustine), they have sinned “in Adam”.[28] “Why did Christ die for them if they are not guilty?”[29] All need Christ as their Saviour. "

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congr ... ts_en.html
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Cheers, iskander. The previous passage is interesting from a historical perspective -
15. The fate of unbaptised infants first became the subject of sustained theological reflection in the West during the anti-Pelagian controversies of the early 5th century. St. Augustine addressed the question because Pelagius was teaching that infants could be saved without Baptism. Pelagius questioned whether St. Paul's letter to the Romans really taught that all human beings sinned “in Adam” (Rom 5:12) and that concupiscence, suffering, and death were a consequence of the Fall.[22] Since he denied that Adam's sin was transmitted to his descendants, he regarded newborn infants as innocent. Pelagius promised infants who died unbaptised entry into “eternal life” (not, however, into the “Kingdom of God” [Jn 3:5]), reasoning that God would not condemn to hell those who were not personally guilty of sin.[23]

[22] Cf. PELAGIUS, Expositio in epistolam ad Romanos, in Expositiones XIII epistolarum Pauli, A. SOUTER (ed.), Cambridge, 1926.

[23] Cf. AUGUSTINE, Epistula 156, Corpus scriptorum ecclesiasticorum latinorum (hereafter CSEL), 44, 448f.; 175.6 (CSEL 44, 660-62); 176.3, (CSEL 44, 666f.); De peccatorum meritis et remissione et de baptismo parvulorum 1.20.26; 3. 5.11-6.12 (CSEL 60, 25f. and 137 – 139); De gestis Pelagii 11, 23-24 (CSEL 42, 76-78).
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

as is the way that document refers to 'Solidarity with Christ' -
3.3. Solidarity with Christ

88. There is a fundamental unity and solidarity between Christ and the whole human race. By his Incarnation, the Son of God has united himself, in some way (“quodammodo”), with every human being (GS 22).[119] There is, therefore, no one who is untouched by the mystery of the Word made flesh. Humanity, and indeed all creation, has been objectively changed by the very fact of the Incarnation and objectively saved by the suffering, death and resurrection of Christ.[120] However, that objective salvation must be subjectively appropriated (cf. Acts 2:37-38; 3:19), ordinarily by the personal exercise of free will in favour of grace in adults, with or without sacramental Baptism, or by infants’ reception of sacramental Baptism. The situation of unbaptised infants is problematic precisely because of their presumed lack of free will.[121] Their situation acutely raises the question of the relationship between the objective salvation won by Christ and original sin, and the question also of the exact import of the Conciliar word, “quodammodo”.

89. Christ lived, died and rose again for all. Pauline teaching is that “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,... and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord” (Phil 2:10-11); “to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living”; “we shall all stand before the judgement seat of God” (Rom 14:9-11). Likewise Johannine teaching stresses that “The Father judges no one, but has given all judgement to the Son, that all may honour the Son, even as they honour the Father” (Jn 5:22-23); “I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all therein, saying: ‘To him who sits upon the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honour and glory and might for ever and ever!’” (Rev 5:13).

and previously reference to the Byzantine liturgy in relation to God's philanthropy -
3.2. God's Merciful Philanthropia

80. God is rich in mercy, dives in misericordia (Eph 2:4). The Byzantine liturgy frequently praises God's philanthropy; God is the “lover of man”.[107] Moreover, God’s loving purpose, now revealed through the Spirit, is beyond our imagining: “what God has prepared for those who love him” is something “no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived” (1 Cor 2:9-10, quoting Is 64:4).
Besides [107] being an elaboration (rather than a citation/reference) [107] is an elaboration of the Byzantine liturgy
[107] In all its ceremonies and celebrations, the Byzantine liturgy praises God’s merciful love: “For You are a merciful God who loves mankind, and we glorify You, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever”.

and [106] also makes reference to the Byzantine liturgy (though the body of the article did not (at the point it cited [106])-
[106] “Christ is risen from the dead. By death He conquered death, and to those in the grave he granted life” (Easter troparion* of the Byzantine liturgy ). This paschal verse is sung many times on each of the forty days of the Easter season in the Byzantine tradition. It is, thus, the principal Easter hymn.
* Troparion (also tropar; plural troparia) is a type of hymn in Byzantine music, in the Orthodox Church and other Eastern Christian churches. It is a short hymn of one stanza, or one of a series of stanzas; this may carry the further connotation of a hymn interpolated between psalm verses ...

Troparia are also found as the stanzas of canons. Such troparia are modeled on the irmoi of the ode.

Troparia are also sometimes used as refrains for chanted psalm verses...

History
A famous example, whose existence is attested as early as the 4th century, is the Vespers hymn, Phos Hilaron, usually translated as "Gladsome Light" in English; another, O Monogenes Yios, "Only Begotten Son," ascribed to Justinian I (527-565), figures in the introductory portion of the Divine Liturgy.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Troparion
iskander

Post by iskander »

The doctrine of the original sin is a specific Catholic Heresy which originated with the diabolic teachings of Augustine of Hippo in the 5th, century of the Common Era. The Eastern Orthodox Church disregarded this teaching as heresy.

It is amusing that the one church, which was so adept at destroying heretics should have succumbed to the persuasive power of heresy. The Church fell under the power of one heretic who had hid his true identity under the name of Sunday. As the character in the novel , The man who was Thursday by Chesterton

When Paul says that the sin of Adam was bad business for everyone he is repeating a Jewish understanding of the same event. The Orthodox Church, Islam and Judaism do not believe in the Original Sin, but they all three want to undo the consequence of the sin of Adam and return to the Paradise from which their ancestors were expelled.

A Jewish opinion on the sin of Adam
Attachments
eden 22.PNG
eden 22.PNG (283.47 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote:The doctrine of the original sin is a specific Catholic Heresy which originated with the diabolic teachings of Augustine of Hippo in the 5th, century of the Common Era.
Yes, note the text at the bottom of the OP -
Historian Robin Lane Fox argues that the foundation of the doctrine of original sin, as accepted by the Church, was ultimately based on a mistranslation of ... Romans 5:12–21 by Augustine, in his "On the Grace of Christ, and on Original Sin".

23 Fox, Robin Lane (2006). The Unauthorized Version: Truth and Fiction in the Bible. London: Penguin. ISBN 9780141022963.
Yes,
iskander wrote:It is amusing that the one church, which was so adept at destroying heretics, should have succumbed to ... heresy
although I'm not sure whether heresy has any more the "persuasive power" than any other theology.

iskander wrote:The Eastern Orthodox Church disregarded this teaching as heresy.
Yes -
The Eastern Orthodox's version of original sin is the view that sin originates with the Devil, "for the devil sinneth from the beginning. (1 John iii. 8)".[65] They acknowledge that the introduction of ancestral sin into the human race affected the subsequent environment for humanity (see also 'traducianism'). However, they never accepted Augustine of Hippo's notions of original sin and hereditary guilt

Orthodox Churches accept the teachings of John Cassian, as do Catholic Churches eastern and western,[43] in rejecting the doctrine of Total Depravity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_ ... _Orthodoxy
and it's interesting that Christian theology initially developed in the East: the 1st & 2nd Ecumenical councils - the Council of Nicea (325CE) and the Council of Constantinople (381CE), respectively - were in the East. In fact, all Seven Ecumenical Councils were in the East!

I don't understand your reference to "the name of Sunday" -
iskander wrote:The Church fell under the power of one heretic who had hid his true identity under the name of Sunday.