Grateful Dead

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

theeternaliam

Re: Grateful Dead

Post by theeternaliam »

John2 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:39 am You know, I never got into JGB (or New Riders or Old and in the Way). And I know people who like JGB and don't like the Dead. To each their own, I guess. But it was interesting to see those videos nevertheless. And it amazes me how much Jerry played in and outside of the Dead. And who knows, maybe someday I'll come around to that other stuff.

I do like what Jerry did with David Grisman though and had three of their albums. I don't know why Jerry's other stuff doesn't strike me the same way, but oh, well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-8ymDg8pQ
JGB took me a while to like, but once i got to know their tunes well enough, i started to like em probably more than the Dead. And perhaps more than JGB, even, i love NRPS. The only living avatar of the Dead i saw was a few years ago at the capitol theater. Phil and Friends played with Dave Nelson of the New Riders. As i said, im a huge new riders fan, more so than the dead, and maybe more so than JGB. They only played 2 new riders songs though. Was funny cause during a dead song i hardly knew and wasnt really into, i went out for a smoke and chatted with an OG. Told him, i didnt really know the song that was currently playin and he was surprised. So i told him i was mostly there for there for the new riders, who he hardly and didnt know any of their songs. That was the 1st time i noticed deadheads dont necessarily know much about or get into the new riders. Which is ok wit me, but i still think ya should give em a chance. Yes they're country, but COSMIC country.

One of the only new riders songs i heard live, in honor of devotion to our Mother who is currently being oppressed and disrespected and exploited as we speak and its a real shame and i dont understand why we think its ok for our mother to be treated so:
But anyways:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R6zOnMpLYxE
John2

Post by John2 »

There's just something about New Riders that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's the era, since I don't care much for the Dead in 1971 either. Or maybe, like Old and in the Way strikes me, there are too many chefs in the kitchen. I'll keep them in mind though, and as I said, maybe I'll come around to them someday, and I appreciate your links.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Just like the prodigal son, when he was far from home He wanted to go back and tell his father he had done wrong He fell on his knees, the Lord answered his pleas Said "If you go back home I'll go with thee" Just like the Israelites, who were Pharaoh's slaves They suffered in bondage and they prayed for days The Lord said, "Moses, go set them free" "I am the Lord, thy God, and I'll go with thee" Just like old Joshua at Jericho The Jericho walls, he wanted to overthrow The Lord said, "Fight, and I'll give you victory" "I am the Lord thy God, and I'll go with thee" He said I'll be with thee I'll be with thee (You don't have to worry) I'll be with thee I'll be with thee Through the water, through the flood Through the fire, through the blood I am the Lord, thy God, and I'll be with thee I'll be with thee I'll be with thee (You may be far away) I'll be with thee I'll be with thee I'll be with thee I'll be with thee Through failure, success I'll understand when you done your best I am the Lord, thy God, and I'll be with thee I'll be with thee Just like the Israelites, who were Pharaoh's slaves They suffered in bondage and they prayed for days The Lord said, "Moses, go set them free" "I am the Lord, thy God, and I'll go with thee" Just like old Joshua at Jericho The Jericho walls, he wanted to overthrow The Lord said, "Fight, and I'll give you victory" "I am the Lord thy God, and I'll go with thee" He said I'll be with thee I'll be with thee (You don't have to worry) I'll be with thee I'll be with thee Through the water, through the flood Through the fire, through the blood I am the Lord, thy God, and I'll be with thee I'll be with thee I'll be with thee (You don't have to worry) I'll be with thee I'll be with thee (You don't have to be discouraged) I'll be with thee I'll be with thee Through failure, success I'll understand when you done your best I am the Lord, thy God, and I'll be with thee I'll be with thee
John2

Post by John2 »

Hey, I like that one, arnoldo. And after looking it up I was delighted to learn that's Maria Muldaur (of Midnight at the Oasis fame) singing with Donna. I had no idea she was in JGB.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

I had a dream about a cat last night so why not start at the beginning (and I'd previously only heard the Dead do Reuben and Cherise):

The record was not a financial success, but it remained Garcia's favorite, as he said in an interview in the late 1980s: "The record I worked hardest at and liked best was Cats Under the Stars. That was kind of like my baby. It did worse than any other record I ever did. I think I probably gave away more copies than I sold. It was amazingly, pathetically bad. But I’ve learned not to invest a lot of importance in 'em, although it's nice to care about your work."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_Under_the_Stars
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

In fact, the Dead only played Reuben and Cherise a few times in 1991, and I like this one the most.

Last edited by John2 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

I'm still digging this 1973 show so I'm putting it here for easier access.

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-11-1 ... d3t04.flac

For me the highlights are my new favorite Jack Straw and Black Throated Wind, the transition starting about 7 minutes into China Cat Sunflower, and that three part Other One sandwich (with a great Big River and Eyes).

And after listening to the first show the Dead did in 1973 (2/9), which I'd never heard before and has some mixing issues ("get the bugs out night," as Bob Weir puts it), I found my new favorite version of They Love Each Other (and it's the first time they played it).

I've been enjoying that 11/14 show and looking for something else from 1973 that does it for me like that, and so far, while nothing else does on the whole, I'm finding some more individual songs I like along the way, like this Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodleloo from 4/2.

You know, thus far in my exploration of 1973 the only show I like more than what I've heard from 1974 is 11/14, so even though that one takes the cake, I guess I prefer 1974 on the whole. And it's hard to find shows I like when they all more or less have reviews that say, "This is the best show I've ever heard in my life." But I'm still looking (and 4/2 has yet another nice Jack Straw too).

Oh, 9/8 is sounding interesting enough to explore more. It has some mixing issues ("It is bumpy in the first set, but don't be deterred initially like I was," as a reviewer says), but thus far it passes the Jack Straw test and has a great Let it Grow.

https://archive.org/details/gd73-09-08. ... 8d1t11.shn

Maybe I'm hard to please (or not getting it yet), but I'm only liking some songs in this show too (Jack Straw, Let it Grow, China Doll and One More Saturday Night, which are all great) and not the show on the whole. Oh, well.
Last edited by John2 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Alright, I'm about 1973-ed out now, but it has been great to be able to explore it and 1974 on the Archive. Now I'm curious to hear some new shows from one of my other favorite years, 1990 (which might be my favorite of them all), and right off the bat (just from the opening notes and the set list) I have a good feeling about this one from 7/12, a week before one of my all-time favorite shows that I've linked to upthread (7/19), in the midst of that hot, hot summer tour (and their last tour with keyboardist Brent Mydland). So I will be shocked if this one doesn't "do it" for me.

https://archive.org/details/gd90-07-12. ... 2d1t01.shn

Good "feel" on the whole so far. First set highlights for me are Let the Good Times Roll, Feel Like a Stranger, Just a Little Light (a Brent song), Queen Jane Approximately, Cassidy and The Music Never Stopped, and so far in the second set I like that Foolish Heart (after the five minute mark), and I'm saving that Dark Star for later.

Wow, that's a great Dark Star (followed by a great Drums and Space), and a great show all in all. And I like how it had rained but people made the most of it. As a reviewer who was there writes:

I became Jesus and Moses all at once, pushing the water aside whilst walking on the flying dollops of watery mud, giggling like a madman and dancing in my own private epileptic way.
Last edited by John2 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arnoldo

Grateful Dead - Here Comes Sunshine

Post by arnoldo »

John2

Post by John2 »

You know, I hadn't heard the studio version of Here Comes Sunshine before. Thanks, arnoldo.