For atheist to answer

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
Eric

For atheist to answer

Post by Eric »

The question I ask, is to see what responses are given by atheist. I am not looking to refute the answers, only to observe the replies. The question is simple: How do we know that evil and suffering exists?
To become fully human is divine.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: For atheist to answer

Post by Peter Kirby »

I am feeling Clintonian: "depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Eric

Post by Eric »

LMAO
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Have you ever put your hand on a pile of suffering? Or perhaps caught a photograph of evil in its natural habitat? References to Clinton aside, the ontological status of these concepts is a legitimate question. It appears that they are properties attributed to processes in living things (suffering) and actions affecting people (evil). As such, perhaps we could say that evil or suffering exists but only in the same way that sarcasm and humor exist.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Eric wrote:The question I ask, is to see what responses are given by atheist. I am not looking to refute the answers, only to observe the replies. The question is simple: How do we know that evil and suffering exists?
Suffering has an objective definition. Suffering is physical or emotional pain. I can know it exists, if for no other reason, because I suffer myself. If I suffer myself, then suffering exists. As far as "evil," goes, you'll have to give a definition of what that word means before I can say whether it objectively exists or not.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:
Eric wrote:The question I ask, is to see what responses are given by atheist. I am not looking to refute the answers, only to observe the replies. The question is simple: How do we know that evil and suffering exists?
Suffering has an objective definition. Suffering is physical or emotional pain. I can know it exists, if for no other reason, because I suffer myself. If I suffer myself, then suffering exists. As far as "evil," goes, you'll have to give a definition of what that word means before I can say whether it objectively exists or not.
There is no definition that I could give you on evil without answering what I perceive or others perceive as evil. I do appreciate your answer on suffering. Thank you.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Peter Kirby wrote:Have you ever put your hand on a pile of suffering? Or perhaps caught a photograph of evil in its natural habitat? References to Clinton aside, the ontological status of these concepts is a legitimate question. It appears that they are properties attributed to processes in living things (suffering) and actions affecting people (evil). As such, perhaps we could say that evil or suffering exists but only in the same way that sarcasm and humor exist.
I agree there is the ontological side of it used by religion and/or intelligent design apologetically debating against atheism. I like the sarcasm and humor :thumbup: . But those questions point more than just to the existence or non-existence of a deity.
spin

Post by spin »

Though I'm not an atheist, here is my response: the notion of evil is reified nonsense—that shields people from closer access to reality—, while suffering in a physiological sense is a well-observed phenomenon.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Eric

Post by Eric »

spin wrote:Though I'm not an atheist, here is my response: the notion of evil is reified nonsense—that shields people from closer access to reality—, while suffering in a physiological sense is a well-observed phenomenon.
:banghead: You know that is an interesting response. Thank you Spin.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Suffering exists because remaining alive necessitates a mechanism to produce the sensation of pain: pain is therefore a protective sensation giving notice of danger. Life is the protective pain of existence and death is the cessation of pain.

Evil is the name given to the cause of pain; evil is whatever threatens our well-being as determined by the absence of pain. We all are the cause of pain to others at some time or another.

The dead are free from pain and are no longer evil: life exits no more, except in morbid fantasies in which the lifeless corpses are punished with pain in hells and the like. Religion is hence an eternal factory of pain and hence evil