The Biblical God is not infinite

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

mlinssen

Re: The Biblical God is not infinite

Post by mlinssen »

Irish1975 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:01 am What you call the "semantic constructions" that I am supposedly "misreading," I call scripture.

But go ahead and tell me that I'm making it all up, and that saying doesn't make it so. That's a fantastic argument.
I once had a discussion with a religiot, that also was my last attempt at reasoning with "the type". It was about the wonderful Luke 17:21 - For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst, copy of Thomas of course, and the word is ἐντὸς, present only elsewhere in Matthew 23:36, cleaning the inside of the cup

The response to that?

No, that needs to be read as ... etc

I turned around and walked away
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

Irish1975 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:01 am What you call the "semantic constructions" that I am supposedly "misreading," I call scripture.

But go ahead and tell me that I'm making it all up, and that saying doesn't make it so. That's a fantastic argument.
well i didnt mean that exactly, sorry, i just meant you might keep an open mind there; for instance, what if Genesis says ...the earth became void, how might that change your perspective?
Arent we told elsewhere that Yah created darkness too?

and fwiw im not completely against your arg, although i might take off from the ...and Yah was sorry passage maybe
Last edited by bbyrd009 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:02 am

I once had a discussion with a religiot, that also was my last attempt at reasoning with "the type". It was about the wonderful Luke 17:21 - For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst, copy of Thomas of course, and the word is ἐντὸς, present only elsewhere in Matthew 23:36, cleaning the inside of the cup

The response to that?

hopefully the diff in that and "what if" is apparent?

love the avatar :)
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

bbyrd009 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am

The response to that?

Thanks! It reflects very well my current position on Thomas, and the position of all others LOL

Both standpoints are quite understandable, given the depth of knowledge on both sides. Still, it's lonely at the bottom ROFL
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

mlinssen wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 am
bbyrd009 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am

The response to that?

Thanks! It reflects very well my current position on Thomas, and the position of all others LOL

Both standpoints are quite understandable, given the depth of knowledge on both sides. Still, it's lonely at the bottom ROFL
ah, the tree of knowledge, that we have all eaten the fruit of! lol
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

bbyrd009 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 am ah, the tree of knowledge, that we have all eaten the fruit of! lol
Have you read Don Miguel Ruiz? I love his story, that eating from that tree indeed does give you knowledge - opinions, truths, blah blah.
People interpret it as a tree of wisdom, but wisdom is merely knowing that knowledge isn't bringing you any closer to yourself

We all have our own knowledge, or own opinions which we call truths - we all are always right, in that extent.
Hence why we fight over words, anything, both sides - because they both feel that they are right, and in their own right everyone always is always right
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

mlinssen wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:36 am
bbyrd009 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 am ah, the tree of knowledge, that we have all eaten the fruit of! lol
Have you read Don Miguel Ruiz? I love his story, that eating from that tree indeed does give you knowledge - opinions, truths, blah blah.
havent read him, just saw a coworker with a copy of The Four Agreements last night though...is that his best work iyo? "Four" struck me as pretty...arbitrary? Esp after The Fifth came out, so ive been kinda waiting for reviews :)
"truths" i gotta wonder, what truths? Absolute Truths?
People interpret it as a tree of wisdom, but wisdom is merely knowing that knowledge isn't bringing you any closer to yourself

We all have our own knowledge, or own opinions which we call truths - we all are always right, in that extent.
He who says he knows anything, doesn't :D
Hence why we fight over words, anything, both sides - because they both feel that they are right, and in their own right everyone always is always right
ha, yeh
i guess manna isn't called "what is it?" for nothing
and i wonder if you havent just summarized speaking in tongues

"I don't know anything. Ever. It's really quite relaxing."
Dirk Gently
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

oh and apropos of nothing, your attachment to Thomas i guess, i just recently read a dispute of "doubting Thomas" that struck me, as Thomas was under direct orders to not be believing of any Sightings claims re Jesus, thought that was pretty interesting. You know the v, ...if someone says "look, here He is," don't go looking paraphrased
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

bbyrd009 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 am

oh and apropos of nothing, your attachment to Thomas i guess, i just recently read a dispute of "doubting Thomas" that struck me, as Thomas was under direct orders to not be believing of any Sightings claims re Jesus, thought that was pretty interesting. You know the v, ...if someone says "look, here He is," don't go looking paraphrased
Four is an arbitrary number indeed, but it is his whole story behind it that is so very worthy of reading, concise and to the point

I see the gospel of Thomas not in the context of any religion, certainly not Christianity. John just tries to make its author look bad, giving away which text was earlier
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

mlinssen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:11 am
bbyrd009 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 am

Four is an arbitrary number indeed, but it is his whole story behind it that is so very worthy of reading, concise and to the point

I see the gospel of Thomas not in the context of any religion, certainly not Christianity. John just tries to make its author look bad, giving away which text was earlier
ok well ill check out DMR, ty
the gospel of Thomas im skeptible of tbh, prolly the usual misgivings
but may i suggest that John was hiding wisdom from the wise, less than trying to trash Thomas?