Atheists Used to Take the Idea of God Seriously

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
andrewcriddle

Re: Atheists Used to Take the Idea of God Seriously

Post by andrewcriddle »

ficino wrote:The article seems to be saying that without belief in God, life and society are really bad.

I don't agree that theists are at the margins of culture. Worldwide, they control a hell of a lot.

If the conversation between atheism and theism should not be about whether or not God exists, I don't know what it should be about. How we can all get along, maybe.
What the book and the review are suggesting (in rather different ways) is that an argument about whether religion is good or bad for you, good or bad for society, is being conducted as if it was an argument about the strengths and weaknesses of technical arguments for and against the existence of God.

This ends up confusing the real issues.

Andrew Criddle
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

John T wrote:The article was a well written reflection on modern evangelical atheists.
Hardly.

But it offers some interesting lateral, philosophical views.

John T wrote:These so-called atheists are hijacking science so that they can inject their own religion into it.
Atheism is not a religion.

Religion cannot be injected into science.
Thor

Post by Thor »

MrMacSon wrote:
John T wrote:These so-called atheists are hijacking science so that they can inject their own religion into it.
Atheism is not a religion.

Religion cannot be injected into science.
I am not sure, but to me it seems like he perceives things according to a specific situation. He implies his own religion represents a certain political ideology, and opposing political ideology is supported in some way by imagined relation with atheism.

It probably follows something like : Political left = Communist = Atheist.

The problem is that he does not understand atheism have no relation to any political ideology, and neither do science. I have seen this lack of understanding expressed by religious people and atheists, but it seems to me like it is a kind of "American" situation.
Tonto Goldstein

Post by Tonto Goldstein »

John T wrote:@Stephan,

Thanks for the link. The article was a well written reflection on modern evangelical atheists.
These so-called atheists are hijacking science so that they can inject their own religion into it.

"The Bible shows the way to go to heaven, not the way the heavens go."...Galileo Galilei
John T,

Do you think it's possible the "New Atheists" are responding to an effort to impose "Biblical Teachings" in the science classroom? The fact is the religious make many claims that can be countered through scientific understanding. In those cases it's entirely appropriate to use science to dispel the illusions woven by the demon haunted minds of the religious. Furthermore the article makes several ignorant assertions that amount to nothing more than bigotry. For instance, atheism does not in any way mandate an adherence to moral nihilism.

Regards,
Rich
John T

Post by John T »

Tonto Goldstein wrote:
John T wrote:@Stephan,

Thanks for the link. The article was a well written reflection on modern evangelical atheists.
These so-called atheists are hijacking science so that they can inject their own religion into it.

"The Bible shows the way to go to heaven, not the way the heavens go."...Galileo Galilei
John T,

Do you think it's possible the "New Atheists" are responding to an effort to impose "Biblical Teachings" in the science classroom? The fact is the religious make many claims that can be countered through scientific understanding. In those cases it's entirely appropriate to use science to dispel the illusions woven by the demon haunted minds of the religious. Furthermore the article makes several ignorant assertions that amount to nothing more than bigotry. For instance, atheism does not in any way mandate an adherence to moral nihilism.

Regards,
Rich
No.
The "New Atheists" claim they believe in separation of church and state yet they sue the state to outlaw all religious views but their own.
The article exposes the hypocrisy of the militant atheists and I'm sure the book does more of the same.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

John T wrote:The "New Atheists" claim they believe in separation of church and state yet they sue the state to outlaw all religious views but their own.
Good morning.

Nonsense.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tonto Goldstein

Post by Tonto Goldstein »

No.
The "New Atheists" claim they believe in separation of church and state yet they sue the state to outlaw all religious views but their own.
The article exposes the hypocrisy of the militant atheists and I'm sure the book does more of the same.
What are their "religious views"? Maybe you can give an example of a case where the New Atheists sued the state as an example of what you're talking about. Thanks.
John T

Post by John T »

Tonto Goldstein wrote:
No.
What are their "religious views"? Maybe you can give an example of a case where the New Atheists sued the state as an example of what you're talking about. Thanks.
Please pick-up a copy of the WSJ dated Tuesday, July 15, 2014.

"Ministers of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a parody religion meant to protest the mingling of of church and state (its congregants identify as "pastafarians") believe the decision [recent SCOTUS ruling] could help their mission. Bobby Henderson, who started the group in 2005, says "I see [the ruling] as good news for the church of FSM, as we're always looking for captive audiences to evangelize..."...WSJ

Now that is non-sense.

Please don't go down the road that I claimed "all" atheists are mocking Christianity and are trying to force their own religious views onto others like Bobby Henderson because I didn't. I was referring to evangelical/militant atheists.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:
Tonto Goldstein wrote:
No.
Please pick-up a copy of the WSJ dated Tuesday, July 15, 2014.

"Ministers of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a parody religion meant to protest the mingling of of church and state (its congregants identify as "pastafarians") believe the decision [recent SCOTUS ruling] could help their mission. Bobby Henderson, who started the group in 2005, says "I see [the ruling] as good news for the church of FSM, as we're always looking for captive audiences to evangelize..."...WSJ

Now that is non-sense.

Please don't go down the road that I claimed "all" atheists are mocking Christianity and are trying to force their own religious views onto others like Bobby Henderson because I didn't. I was referring to evangelical/militant atheists.
Henderson's schlock is in origin a college pisstake and hasn't progressed beyond that. Citing it is not advancing your previous comments in any way. Try again.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
ghost

Post by ghost »

John T wrote:Please pick-up a copy of the WSJ dated Tuesday, July 15, 2014.
It's this article?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/supreme- ... 1405391861