Strict father v nurturing parent god

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
spin

Strict father v nurturing parent god

Post by spin »

A cognitive linguist, George Lakoff, has been arguing for a few decades that human thought is inseparable from the use of metaphor. He has used the notion to develop upon the theory of frames so as to explain the way people are manipulated by politicians. One of the deepest pairs of frames is based on the "strict father" and the "nurturing parent" metaphors. The strict father controls the wife, administers family justice, punishment, encouragement to excel, individuality, standing on your own feet, doesn't accept weakness, rejects anything that promotes others to lean. You can see that in Republican rhetoric and thought, and heightened in the tea party. The nurturing parent is not gendered, but provides protecting to allow all to grow in safety, it is not hierarchical/patriarchal, everyone is part of society and so is to be equally treated, the sick, the poor, the old, the sexually diverse. You can hear Democratic noise in there. The strict father wants you to achieve and do well in business and those who fail are not worthy. Policies tend to reflect the values implied by these two basic metaphors. Nurturers will tend to be welfare minded and want to protect the earth and so are environmentally minded. Strict favors business achievement. They also favor traditional marriage without deviation. There is no middle ground. No moderate position. Those one might try to consider moderate are those whose views have a selection from both metaphors. You'll find hardline business oriented people with environmental and perhaps welfare centered views. But no middle position. Just lack of interest. It is among those whose positions holder specific positions that dictate they way they vote that usually the swing in elections. Politicians tap into these metaphors to try to manipulate voters and control the political narrative. If the subject of metaphors that govern our political thought interests you, check out this video talk by Lakoff as a starter.

The thing that I'm wondering at the moment is about the presentation of the Judeo-Christian god-complex. We find god presented as a strict father at times, vengence is his, he will make the wicked suffer through plague, pestilence and war, you will need to find contrition, learn uprightness, suffer when necessary to be made a better person. The lovingkindness of the nurturing god is found in other parts of the biblical tradition. He protects his people, yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. He gives me what I need and I should have compassion toward my fellows. Blessed are the cheesemakers. What I wonder is which god the Republican knows and which the Democrats know. They've heard both sides of the narrative. Does god reflect your moral politics?
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Leucius Charinus

Re: Strict father v nurturing parent god

Post by Leucius Charinus »

An interesting discussion on the political use of Orwellian language 47:30 to 48:00 and following how to counter this.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Thor

Re: Strict father v nurturing parent god

Post by Thor »

spin wrote:A cognitive linguist, George Lakoff, has been arguing for a few decades that human thought is inseparable from the use of metaphor. He has used the notion to develop upon the theory of frames so as to explain the way people are manipulated by politicians. One of the deepest pairs of frames is based on the "strict father" and the "nurturing parent" metaphors. The strict father controls the wife, administers family justice, punishment, encouragement to excel, individuality, standing on your own feet, doesn't accept weakness, rejects anything that promotes others to lean. You can see that in Republican rhetoric and thought, and heightened in the tea party. The nurturing parent is not gendered, but provides protecting to allow all to grow in safety, it is not hierarchical/patriarchal, everyone is part of society and so is to be equally treated, the sick, the poor, the old, the sexually diverse. You can hear Democratic noise in there.
One of my approaches to better understand mythology and religion was actually linguistics, so I am somewhat familiar with elements presented by George Lakoff.

I am not sure if you noticed a certain view expressed even within the framework labeled as "strict father" and the "nurturing parent" metaphors. You see the Republicans would most likely see their views as nurturing, while Democrats would frame it as the "strict father". In other words, there are not two groups of people using different metaphors. But people using the same metaphors, only they are applied differently.

It is in fact ironic to hear Lakoff at the end, when he describes the "evil" of the right, and how the "good" left unfortunately have made it possible for "evil" to prevail. But it is to be expected that language and our cognitive functions, as shared internal biological systems, should display the same effects regardless of political affiliation. Internalizing the good, while externalizing the evil. Cast your sins upon a goat, and chase it into the desert. Free yourself from sin with salvation granted by one who serves as sacrificial offer. Concepts framed by the mind which you probably have heard before.

The idea of science, morality or some greater truth reside within some specific political ideology. A narrow path revealed to some, which leads to the promised land. :problem: