USA religious decline exaggerated

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

andrewcriddle

USA religious decline exaggerated

Post by andrewcriddle »

https://cps.isr.umich.edu/news/religion ... revisited/ A bizarre technical issue caused the real and substantial decline in religion in the US in this century to be seriously exaggerated.

Andrew Criddle
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: USA religious decline exaggerated

Post by Peter Kirby »

The corrected dataset contains numerous small changes, mostly of less than one percent. The largest of these changes involves responses to the question “Do you believe in God?” As recently as 1999, only 4 percent of the U.S. public said that they did not believe in God, but in the 2011 WVS survey the figure had risen to 11 percent. The corrupted 2017 U.S. data indicated that the figure had risen from 11 percent to 22 percent but the revised data indicated that the figure actually had risen from 11 percent to 18 percent.
Instead of reading “Since then, the United States has shown the largest move awayfrom religion of any country for which we have data,” it should read: “Since then, the United States has shown one of the largest moves away from religion of any country for which we have data.” ... with the American public showing the fourth largest amount of secularization to be found among these 49 countries.
billd89

Re: USA religious decline IS REAL

Post by billd89 »

Very unfortunate, but here's the consequence of mad-dog Republicans politicizing religion. Tens of millions alienated, in short order. It only gets worse from here.

I think some spirituality is necessary for most ppl, and very important to establish a foundational morality and shared value set, but the USA is (has been) racing towards a deadly cliff and point from which there's no return, or an animalistic orgy of national self-destruction.

Secularization is moral degeneracy (I am NOT a rightwing Republican), the garbage-in/garbage-out brainwashing of Hollywood/Madison Av "culture" over the last three generations has utterly depraved America. It's now an attack on reality.

The generational tipping point is a decade or less from now - then the Chinese will eat our lunch.

(I'm socially-tolerant. Leave trans alone; yes they have a right to exist, but that's all). Consider: this should NOT and will NEVER be 'normal'. It's a fair example of the delusional 'Freedom' derangement, among countless head-slappers of the last decade or so: "No, you're TRANS - not a real woman!" Truth has been destroyed by the Left and Right in the USA.

bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

Peter Kirby wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:12 pm
The corrected dataset contains numerous small changes, mostly of less than one percent. The largest of these changes involves responses to the question “Do you believe in God?” As recently as 1999, only 4 percent of the U.S. public said that they did not believe in God, but in the 2011 WVS survey the figure had risen to 11 percent. The corrupted 2017 U.S. data indicated that the figure had risen from 11 percent to 22 percent but the revised data indicated that the figure actually had risen from 11 percent to 18 percent.
Instead of reading “Since then, the United States has shown the largest move awayfrom religion of any country for which we have data,” it should read: “Since then, the United States has shown one of the largest moves away from religion of any country for which we have data.” ... with the American public showing the fourth largest amount of secularization to be found among these 49 countries.
guess I’m not getting it, the two sentences appear the same; am i meant to add in the “with the American public” phrase? Isn’t the American public showing the sixth largest secularization, per the graph? ty
Chile, wow, who’d have guessed?

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

bbyrd009 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:06 pm Isn’t the American public showing the sixth largest secularization, per the graph?
The graph shows a slightly different date range (2007-2019 in the graph, ending in 2017 in the paragraph).

You should read the article if you want more clarification.
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:55 pm
bbyrd009 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:06 pm Isn’t the American public showing the sixth largest secularization, per the graph?
The graph shows a slightly different date range (2007-2019 in the graph, ending in 2017 in the paragraph).

You should read the article if you want more clarification.
ok, ty
bbyrd009

Re: USA religious decline IS REAL

Post by bbyrd009 »

billd89 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:45 am Very unfortunate, but here's the consequence of mad-dog Republicans politicizing religion. Tens of millions alienated, in short order. It only gets worse from here.

I think some spirituality is necessary for most ppl, and very important to establish a foundational morality and shared value set, but the USA is (has been) racing towards a deadly cliff and point from which there's no return, or an animalistic orgy of national self-destruction.
im not sure what other end a country with a manipulated unit of exchange could ever hope for tbh? But then i guess we’ve even had leaders assassinated for trying to end the fed eh, no one seems to care
Secularization is moral degeneracy
hmm, i dunno bill; Jesus had the highest praise for the atheist (Samaritan) and the pagan (Roman centurion) in the Bible, and nothing but dis for the religious types?

(I am NOT a rightwing Republican), the garbage-in/garbage-out brainwashing of Hollywood/Madison Av "culture" over the last three generations has utterly depraved America. It's now an attack on reality.

The generational tipping point is a decade or less from now - then the Chinese will eat our lunch.

(I'm socially-tolerant. Leave trans alone; yes they have a right to exist, but that's all). Consider: this should NOT and will NEVER be 'normal'. It's a fair example of the delusional 'Freedom' derangement, among countless head-slappers of the last decade or so: "No, you're TRANS - not a real woman!" Truth has been destroyed by the Left and Right in the USA.