Would an omnipotent God need to create a hell?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Main Entry:
1 often capitalized : almighty 1
2 : having virtually unlimited authority or influence <an omnipotent ruler>

A loving God, with unlimited influence, at judgment time, would have no trouble influencing a soul to believe and repent.
That would make the following quote true.

2 Peter 3:9 KJ
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

If God is somehow not able to change the attitude or ideas of the soul, the reason for punishment, then to send it to eternal torture or death would serve no purpose and that would mean that punishment would be immoral and no moral God would ever do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM3FXlLMug

For those who believe in everlasting punishment or death for souls, I would ask.

What does an omnipotent God need with a hell?

God would cure all afflicted and never lose what could only be perfect as everything has emanated from a perfect God. If the Christian God exists that is.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect:

Regards
DL
SteveSchlichter

Re: Would an omnipotent God need to create a hell?

Post by SteveSchlichter »

[quote="Gnostic Bishop"]Would an omnipotent God need to create a hell?

If God is somehow not able to change the attitude or ideas of the soul, the reason for punishment, then to send it to eternal torture or death would serve no purpose and that would mean that punishment would be immoral and no moral God would ever do so.
[/quote]

Perhaps your concept of hell is incorrect. What if is not a form of punishment but a means of separation for those who do not want God and would consider eternity with him to be hell. God would not have to be unable to change attitudes but unwilling to override decisions and whatever torture exists in hell is self-inflicted.

~Steve
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

SteveSchlichter wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Would an omnipotent God need to create a hell?

Perhaps your concept of hell is incorrect. What if is not a form of punishment but a means of separation for those who do not want God and would consider eternity with him to be hell. God would not have to be unable to change attitudes but unwilling to override decisions and whatever torture exists in hell is self-inflicted.

~Steve
Why would someone who gained freedom from God inflict torture on himself?
Is that how you celebrate escape from those you do not like?

Seems you assume that all those who reject God and end in hell would all think and act like masochists.

Where would all those souls get the power to inflict torture onto themselves?

If they can manipulate conditions in hell, can those in heaven also manipulate conditions in heaven?

Regards
DL
SteveSchlichter

[quote="Gnostic Bishop"]
Why would someone who gained freedom from God inflict torture on himself?

Seems you assume that all those who reject God and end in hell would all think and act like masochists.

If they can manipulate conditions in hell, can those in heaven also manipulate conditions in heaven?

Regards
DL[/quote]

People torture themselves all the time. People with self image problems torture themselves. People who have gone thru trauma can become dysfunctional and severely torture themselves. I would not refer to it as a power; more of a lack of power or a self-made prison.

~Steve
SteveSchlichter

I am torturing myself right now wondering why these quote tags don't take.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

SteveSchlichter wrote:
Make sure "disable bbcode" isn't checked in the options below the post.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
SteveSchlichter

Peter Kirby wrote:
SteveSchlichter wrote:
Make sure "disable bbcode" isn't checked in the options below the post.
thanks Peter, I will try that.
Bold

Italic

Underline

Preview is working! thx
Thor

Post by Thor »

SteveSchlichter wrote:God would not have to be unable to change attitudes but unwilling to override decisions and whatever torture exists in hell is self-inflicted.

~Steve
But why unwilling to change the attitudes caused?
SteveSchlichter

Thor wrote:But why unwilling to change the attitudes caused?
The only two ways I can imagine that happening is 1) by forcing certain attitudes and 2) by removing moral choices altogether. Neither of those seem like good options. Perhaps the world you see is the best possible world where moral choices still exist.

Which of those options would you consider more God-like? or do you see another?
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

SteveSchlichter wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: Why would someone who gained freedom from God inflict torture on himself?

Regards
DL
People torture themselves all the time. People with self image problems torture themselves. People who have gone thru trauma can become dysfunctional and severely torture themselves. I would not refer to it as a power; more of a lack of power or a self-made prison.

~Steve
Yes but we are not talking of those. We are talking of the more intelligent part of humanity.

Now answer the question properly.

Why would such people do damage to themselves without a reason?

Regards
DL