Would an omnipotent God need to create a hell?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

SteveSchlichter

Re: Would an omnipotent God need to create a hell?

Post by SteveSchlichter »

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
SteveSchlichter wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:All those that God had not warned of before A & E ate.

Like their eyes being opened for one. You likely know the rest.

Regards
DL
Why is that immoral and arbitrary?
Get the rest just so I know you can find information and I will deal with all of them at once.

Regards
DL
Gen 3:5 is the one you are referring to.

to Satan, Gen 3:14-15 the attraction between the serpent and the woman are replaced with enmity for the women's sake (a play on the natural relationship between women and snakes)
to Eve, 3:16, labor pains and hindered relationship with the man (a natural consequence and extension of the shame that resulted from their claim to moral autonomy)
to Adam 3:17-19, curse of the ground, the joy of purposeful work as the image bearers of Gods work (in 6 creative days) (from chapter 2) is now hindered, frustrated, and thwarted. the delegates of God no longer (adequately) represent God.

Gen 3:21 is foreshadowing of a substitutionary death.

Gen 3:24, driven away from the tree that represents the choice they did not make (obedience). I.e. the promised death.

~Steve
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Thank you.

As above, so below.

We are all to emulate God. That is scripture.

Let's go to you now. Since you are bellow and are to do as God does.

If you have a child and warn it of one consequence to an action, and when that action is done, would you think it moral and fair to arbitrarily add on consequences that are unknown to your child?

For instance, if you say you will ground him for a day for not making his bed, and when he disobeys, you add in a spanking and no supper and curse all his efforts and his future land, have you acted in a moral way?

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

"the natural relationship between women and snakes"

What is this natural relationship you speak of?

Regards
DL
SteveSchlichter

Gnostic Bishop wrote:"the natural relationship between women and snakes"

What is this natural relationship you speak of?

Regards
DL
stereotypically speaking, women don't like snakes. If they see one, they stay away fom it.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Thanks. I look forward to your next.

Regards
DL
SteveSchlichter

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Thank you.

As above, so below.

We are all to emulate God. That is scripture.

Let's go to you now. Since you are bellow and are to do as God does.

If you have a child and warn it of one consequence to an action, and when that action is done, would you think it moral and fair to arbitrarily add on consequences that are unknown to your child?

For instance, if you say you will ground him for a day for not making his bed, and when he disobeys, you add in a spanking and no supper and curse all his efforts and his future land, have you acted in a moral way?

Regards
DL
I think the issue is that you are not selecting an example that is analogous to the fall of man.

If we were going to work on your analogy, I suggest we change the not making the bed to emancipating yourself so you are legally an adult, moving out, blowing all your money on prostitutes, and getting addicted to crack.

We would also need to replace the spanking and no supper with a desire to keep the child in the family business but not in their current state of mind. So, you get him in a program where he can manage his addiction and the program involves a lot of hard work.

We also need to replace the curse of his efforts with the fact that the work is even harder now because you entrusted him with taking care of something and he blew all the resources you gave him on crack, so that part of the business is suffering and the work is hard to get it back on track. You could fix it yourself from your vast resources but it is better to have him get well and manage it - in fact, you started that part of the business specifically for him. He is the end, not the means.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

The analogy was quite good and you decided not to use it becaus4e it showed you you were wrong.

We are done I think.

Regards
DL
SteveSchlichter

Gnostic Bishop wrote:The analogy was quite good and you decided not to use it becaus4e it showed you you were wrong.

We are done I think.

Regards
DL
That's a curious response. If your analogy is good then defend it.

I think the weakness in your analogy is in respect to the offended party.

When you disobey your parents, you might be scolded or sent to bed, etc.
When you disobey your boss, you might be fired and experience the resulting financial hardship
When you disobey a judge, you might be sent to jail
When you disobey a commanding officer in a war, you might be shot

When you disobey the omnipotent creator of the universe? I don't know. I cannot claim to be omnipotent and omniscient so I do not have the knowledge of what is good and evil in that situation.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

You spoke of many but the question was of you and what you would do.

Getting you to address a question properly is boring when all you are doing is trying to deflect.

As I said, looks like we are done here.

Regards
DL
SteveSchlichter

Gnostic Bishop wrote:You spoke of many but the question was of you and what you would do.

Getting you to address a question properly is boring when all you are doing is trying to deflect.

As I said, looks like we are done here.

Regards
DL
ok, God bless

~Steve