Co-evolution

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
Clive

Co-evolution

Post by Clive »

I seem to be working from a sort of evolutionary theory of history! It is quite interactive - x meets y leading to z but both x and y are also changed. Classic examples are by the rivers of Babylon and the septuagint.

I would argue that the New World was a very significant change point - OK, things were happening before hand, but the new factor had huge effects.

We tend to look at only one of the parties, for example Judaism returning from captivity, but really we should look at all parties, the new ones and others nearby. What effect did the Jews in Babylon have on Persia?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
DCHindley

Re: Co-evolution

Post by DCHindley »

Clive wrote:I seem to be working from a sort of evolutionary theory of history! It is quite interactive - x meets y leading to z but both x and y are also changed. Classic examples are by the rivers of Babylon and the septuagint.

I would argue that the New World was a very significant change point - OK, things were happening before hand, but the new factor had huge effects.

We tend to look at only one of the parties, for example Judaism returning from captivity, but really we should look at all parties, the new ones and others nearby. What effect did the Jews in Babylon have on Persia?
On the contrary, I follow the theory of de-evolution, first proposed in the art of Kent State University ( Ohio, USA) artists Gerald Casale and Bob Lewis, eventually to turn up in the music of the Casale inspired 1970's+ punk/new wave band Devo. The philosophy states that "instead of continuing to evolve, mankind has actually begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society."1 I am sure even those down under remember that act.

Those who adhere to this philosophy must ask the deepest rhetorical question: "Are We Not Men?" and then provide the answer: "We Are Devo!" I remember looking at the parties of those times well. Cleveland, Ohio, had a great music scene the year or so I lived there between Los Angeles and Orlando, 1979-1980. Unfortunately, by the time I moved back, 1985, the music scene was dead as a doorknob.
I WENT BACK TO OHIO
BUT MY CITY WAS GONE
THERE WAS NO TRAIN STATION
THERE WAS NO DOWNTOWN
SOUTH HOWARD HAD DISAPPEARED
ALL MY FAVORITE PLACES
MY CITY HAD BEEN PULLED DOWN
REDUCED TO PARKING SPACES
A, O, WAY TO GO OHIO

WELL I WENT BACK TO OHIO
BUT MY FAMILY WAS GONE
I STOOD ON THE BACK PORCH
THERE WAS NOBODY HOME
I WAS STUNNED AND AMAZED
MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES
SLOWLY SWIRLED PAST
LIKE THE WIND THROUGH THE TREES
A, O, OH WAY TO GO OHIO

I WENT BACK TO OHIO
BUT MY PRETTY COUNTRYSIDE
HAD BEEN PAVED DOWN THE MIDDLE
BY A GOVERNMENT THAT HAD NO PRIDE
THE FARMS OF OHIO
HAD BEEN REPLACED BY SHOPPING MALLS
AND MUZAK FILLED THE AIR
FROM SENECA TO CUYAHOGA FALLS
SAID, A, O, OH WAY TO GO OHIO

The Pretenders (FWIW, Chrissie Hynde was from Akron, Ohio, before moving to London in 1973)

DCH

1. Devo Bio, clubdevo.com, Retrieved September 11, 2007, and quoted from the divine scriptures, Wikipedia.com
John T

Re: Co-evolution

Post by John T »

Clive wrote:We tend to look at only one of the parties, for example Judaism returning from captivity, but really we should look at all parties, the new ones and others nearby. What effect did the Jews in Babylon have on Persia?
That is a very good question. I can't think of any influence the Jewish religion/culture had on Persia. On the other hand, after the Jews returned from Persia they gave up idolatry for the most part and adopted monotheism. Also due to the influence of Zoroastrianism, the concept of heaven and hell began to take root in Judaism.

Sincerely,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift