Conan the Barbarian (1982)

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

billd89

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Post by billd89 »

Fiction, of course: Robert E. Howard's sword and sorcery hero was created c.1931 as 'Conan the reaver*' and first appeared in a short story "People of the Dark", published in Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror.

* a 'reaver' is a border raider. The Cimmerian is a Crimean, the Cossaks were border-raiders, etc.

Crimea has been famous for battles:

From antiquity:

...and in the news lately:

Never Surrender - Never Forget!
yakovzutolmai

Re: Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Post by yakovzutolmai »

So you're supporting Ukrainian Nazis? I like your scholarship, but here we have an "opinion, disregarded" moment.
yakovzutolmai

Re: Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Post by yakovzutolmai »

billd89 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:06 am Image
I am fascinated by the two snakes facing each other.

You have monstrous, primordial titans in the shadows of polytheistic, late bronze age religion. Typhon. Himself correlated for some reason to Seth.

And in Persian and Kurdish myth, Typhon is merely a king. Zahhak the rival of Kaveh. Kaveh who is Kothar-wa-Khasis, Daedalus, Ptah and even Weylund of the Anglo-Saxons (how does that happen).

Zahhak has two snakes coming from his shoulders, and in contrast to Typhon's snake-arms, this comes closer to what in my imagination is a Caduceus staff.

So here you have the hermetic king, who becomes Typhon-Seth. What a lineage, certainly not as clear and convenient as that seems. And yet far deeper than the level of even ancient myth, you have a hermetic villain, whom Oliver Stone somehow knows.

How does he know about the Two Snakes Facing Each Other?