Iulii tombs under Saint Peter's basilica

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Roger Pearse

Re: Iulii tombs under Saint Peter's basilica

Post by Roger Pearse »

Useful to have this - thank you.

But it seems clear that there is no real reason to suppose that this is Christ at all, even if we mean by this "Christ depicted as the sun", rather than as Helios the deity. Hijman's comments on the other figures bear examination.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Roger Pearse wrote:But it seems clear that there is no real reason to suppose that this is Christ at all, even if we mean by this "Christ depicted as the sun", rather than as Helios the deity.
I agree that the image itself give no reason to suppose that this is Christ. There seems to be agreement on the depiction being that of Helios. What this symbolic representation should or should not be interpreted as, is something I admit not being able to answer. The reason for why I quoted the article, was only to present the views and understanding of acknowledged higher academic circles. In other words, perceived drivel and lack of credentials are views one should consider carefully before presenting.

I know the "good shepherd" motif comes from ancient Sumerian concept represented as Marduk. Commonly known in Judaism and Christianity as Messiah/Christos. To those who found this confusing I refer to Cyrus the great, Cyrus the Messiah/Christos ( Bloodline of David? Ignore! Ignore! :problem: ). But before being diagnosed as a paralello maniac, I assure you I had accepted such motif as a christian representation.

Nonetheless I find it hard to argue either one or the other interpretation, as I end up as usual with more questions rather than answers when I look into things. Unfortunately I find me similar to a Phyrrian skeptic when it comes to approach and examination of information. My point with the synagogues with depictions of Helios, was not related to argumentation of any interpretation being more correct than the other. What I tried to point out, was the Helios image strange acceptance within directions of Judaism ( as Christianity originated from ).

To be more specific. I question necessity of "Christian" motifs proving/disproving Helios as Christ, and also question necessity of "Pagan" motifs like that of Helios proving/disproving other motifs as pagan or any other for that matter. My question is the connection between them, as evidence for such mix up can not be denied even if tombs under Saint Peter's basilica is difficult to argue with much certainty.
ghost

Post by ghost »

Here is a relief sculpture Carotta says shows the Divus Iulius ascension.

http://www.carotta.de/subseite/echo/tumult/17.jpg

http://www.carotta.de/subseite/echo/tumult-e.html