Oh! The (Minim) Genistae = Genos

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
billd89

Oh! The (Minim) Genistae = Genos

Post by billd89 »

c.155 AD Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho, 80:
"...as one, if he would rightly consider it, would not admit that the Sadducees, or similar sects of Genistæ, Meristæ, Galilæans, Hellenists, Pharisees, Baptists, are Jews (do not hear me impatiently when I tell you what I think), but are [only] called Jews and children of Abraham, worshipping God with the lips, as God Himself declared, but the heart was far from Him."

'Genos' ='The Race' (Kind) in the Judeo-Hermetica.

C.H.1.29:
...I became a leader of the Race towards home, teaching the words (logoi), how and in what way they shall be saved.

C.H. 1.32: αἰτουμένῳ τὸ μὴ σφαλῆναι τῆς γνώσεως τῆς κατ΄ οὐσίαν ἡμῶν ἐπίνευσόν μοι καὶ ἐνδυνάμωσόν με͵ καὶ τῆς χάριτος ταύτης φωτίσω τοὺς ἐν ἀγνοίᾳ τοῦ γένους͵ μοῦ ἀδελφούς͵ υἱοὺς δὲ σοῦ.

Melchizedek and the Teacher of Righteous, a personal saviour of men, the Man-Shepherd.

The Genos: primarily in Egypt, Jewish renegade philosophers (students of Hermes, Tat, Ammon, Asclepius) who remained nominally Jewish but read & wrote philosophically 'deviant' (fascinated by Graeco-Egyptian mystery cults and magic: healing, astrology, alchemy, etc.) from the perspective of orthodox cosmopolitan Judaism in the Diaspora. From the standpoint of whatever early 2nd C. normative Judaism, the Kind were perhaps considered mentally ill, 'went hippie', dropped out to esoteric collegia, followed street-preachers, joined new-fangled dissident synagogues of radical allegorizers c.25 BC - 120 AD?

I also suppose the heyday of the 'Hermetic cult' in Egypt was c.25 -150 AD; later elsewhere.