Iamblichus, De Vita Pythagorica ... DATED c.300 AD??

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
billd89

Iamblichus, De Vita Pythagorica ... DATED c.300 AD??

Post by billd89 »

I've searched and failed. From internal evidence, is there any clearer dating for this work by Iamblichus?

Link
Diogenes Laertius (c. 200-250 CE) and Porphyry (c. 234-305 CE) each wrote a Life of Pythagoras. Iamblichus’ (c. 245-325 CE) work is titled On the Pythagorean Life, which includes some limited biography but focuses more on the way of life supposedly established by Pythagoras for his followers.
andrewcriddle

Re: Iamblichus, De Vita Pythagorica ... DATED c.300 AD??

Post by andrewcriddle »

billd89 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:59 am I've searched and failed. From internal evidence, is there any clearer dating for this work by Iamblichus?

Link
Diogenes Laertius (c. 200-250 CE) and Porphyry (c. 234-305 CE) each wrote a Life of Pythagoras. Iamblichus’ (c. 245-325 CE) work is titled On the Pythagorean Life, which includes some limited biography but focuses more on the way of life supposedly established by Pythagoras for his followers.
Thomas Taylor's 1818 translation is online here Taylor suggests on internal evidence that this work was published by his disciples after his death. If this guess is right (and I'm dubious) then the work would date from the last years of Iamblichus maybe 315-320 CE.

Andrew Criddle
andrewcriddle

Re: Iamblichus, De Vita Pythagorica ... DATED c.300 AD??

Post by andrewcriddle »

Another possible basis for dating.

Some scholars emphasise the parallels between Iamblichus' De Vita Pythagorica and the Life of Plotinus by Porphyry. They would regard the works as written at around the same time, one responding to the other. Now on internal evidence the Life of Plotinus dates from very shortly after 300 CE. IF this line of argument is valid then De Vita Pythagorica would date from around 300 CE or a few years after.

Andrew Criddle
billd89

Re: De Vita Pythagorica ... DATED c.300 AD??

Post by billd89 »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:28 am Some scholars emphasise the parallels... works as written at around the same time {#1}, one responding to the other {#2}.
I ascribe to that conclusion.