Plato was a traitor

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
MrMacSon

Re: Plato was a traitor

Post by MrMacSon »

I think they made the comment about monotheism starting in Egypt in the context that there was still a lot to discover about ancient Egyptian societies & philosophies. It is likely these things ebbed & flowed in various localities. Canaan was once under control of the Egyptian Empire* (1500-1200 BCE), among others (I wonder if that is where the story of the Egyptian exile comes from). Judaism would have been powerful in the late Bronze Age and Israel & Judea in the [early] Iron Age. It got overtaken ...

* In the centuries preceding the appearance of the biblical Hebrews, parts of Canaan and southwestern Syria became tributary to the Egyptian Pharaohs,
Clive

Post by Clive »

Francis Pryor Home contrasts British late stone age early bronze age Britain and Egypt. A burial in Britain had two quite close relatives - either brothers or father and son, with some gold showing they were quite wealthy and flint arrows, compared with a similar aged Egyptian burial of quite clearly a master and slave.

I think these can clearly be tied to hierarchical and egalitarian traditions. Pryor comments that David and Goliath is actually a very important description of life in the bronze age! The Egyptian tradition eventually evolved into the one god beliefs.

So Plato was a traitor, moving from the egalitarian Greek many gods to the imperial one god traditions.

The discussions in Kings etc about should Israel have a king is also evidence of these worldviews.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive

Post by Clive »

Which raises another question, do towns and cities have to have kings?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"