sentenced to death for atheism’

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Secret Alias

Re: sentenced to death for atheism’

Post by Secret Alias »

BTW that's my understanding of what Christianity was designed to promote and why I am never very harsh about the 'truth' of Christianity - even I am not and have never been a Christian. I think the message of early Christianity - gleaned from various sources - was developed from Adam being split from Eve in the beginning. It's a kind of play on a riff from Aristophanes in the Symposium which marks the uniqueness of Christianity (again not in the alt-right sense of the 'superiority' of an idealized Western 'race' but rather a Judeo-Christian culture which was deeply mixed with Greco-Roman tradition) which we see manifest itself even in late sources like Cervantes, Goethe etc. Find yourself a life partner, see your brother, see your god. This is the best way to make the world a better place. It is not good for man to be alone, the premise behind our entire religious tradition.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
iskander

Post by iskander »

outhouse wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm
iskander wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 am
outhouse wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 am sharia law must be banned globally as it is very primitive

Outhouse
This kind of response is typical of ' rational sceptic' forums .
You think Sharia is not primitive?
I think sharia is primitive :)

I dislike Sharia and also Halacha and also Manu-smrit and also the Law of Karma, and ...

May I suggest that , on occasions, you come across as one too intense?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

iskander wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am
As a strong atheist, I publically denounce primitive ideology that chooses to murder atheist.

Do you think orthodox jews, and YEC, and islam should be pointed out for their severe idiocy??
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

The problem here is not religion.

It Is the lack of moderation used in each religion, and the ideology that promotes lack of moderation.

Fact is islam has the most primitive ideology and requires a complete lack of moderation and requires a 100% commitment to live a myth.
iskander

Post by iskander »

outhouse wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 am
iskander wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am
As a strong atheist, I publically denounce primitive ideology that chooses to murder atheist.

Do you think orthodox jews, and YEC, and islam should be pointed out for their severe idiocy??
Orthodox Jews , Islam and YEK, those names mean little to me.

I do not want religious laws of any kind to govern the society in which I live, but I do not mind taking into consideration the wishes of religious groups whenever their expectation is reasonable. I do not have to share in their beliefs to collaborate with them.
I support a freely elected Parliament and anyone is free to join it. I do not want to know the religion of our MPs.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

outhouse wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 am The problem here is not religion.

It Is the lack of moderation used in each religion, and the ideology that promotes lack of moderation.

Fact is islam has the most primitive ideology and requires a complete lack of moderation and requires a 100% commitment to live a myth.
outhouse, there is enough ignorance and hatred in the world without you adding to it.

What can you do, do you think, to lower the level of your hate and ignorance of Muslims?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
spin

Post by spin »

outhouse wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 amFact is islam has the most primitive ideology and requires a complete lack of moderation and requires a 100% commitment to live a myth.
This simpletonification of islam is like pointing out that the old testament advocates stoning wayward children and straying women, and saying—just as meaningfully—that the judeo-christian religion has the most primitive ideology... etc.

In the 1950s muslim Iran was progressing just fine thank you very much—that was until the Brits and the US decided they topple the elected govt, giving money to conservative groups including the ayatollahs and eventually installing Reza Pahlevi. This was the start of the process that radicalized significant numbers of Iranians, so the West was responsible for this new radicalization. In Afghanistan, the decades of Soviet-US tensions played out there followed by the Soviet debacle helped spawn the Taliban, a group of extremists who were able to survive in decades-long war against the western onslaught. Al-Qaeda?—another modern development stimulated by western intervention. IS, the same.

The trend before recent western intervention was a slow liberalization in muslim countries. Tiny radical groups do not represent the vast majority of muslims, but they want people to think that they do. They want you to be angry with all muslims, so that muslims become alienated and seek solace with extremism. The American military for example has been happy to help. Nevertheless, the perpetrator of horrific acts is the extremist and not the average muslim. This is not a matter of primitive religious ideology but of modern politics dressed in religious robes.
Last edited by spin on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
iskander

Post by iskander »

outhouse wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 am The problem here is not religion.

The problem is religion, imho. :)
Christianity has shown to be very capable of changing from bad to better, once the papal political power was ended.
Other religions seem to be less flexible.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Saudi Arabia carries out 100th execution so far this year
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 80916.html
Tuesday 3 October 2017 14:45 BST|

Prime Minister Theresa May meets King Salman bin Abdulaziz al Saud of Saudi Arabia in December 2016 PA Archive/PA Images
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

More primitive Islamic violence. It is cancer to humanity.

MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — The most powerful bomb blast ever witnessed in Somalia's capital killed 276 people with around 300 others injured, the country's information minister said early Monday, making it the deadliest single attack in this Horn of Africa nation. The toll was expected to rise.

In a tweet, Abdirahman Osman called the attack "barbaric" and said countries including Turkey and Kenya had already offered to send medical aid. Hospitals were overwhelmed a day after a truck bomb targeted a crowded street near key government ministries, including foreign affairs.

As angry protesters gathered near the scene of the attack, Somalia's government blamed the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab extremist group for what it called a "national disaster."