A Buddhist equivalent to this website?

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.
Jagd

A Buddhist equivalent to this website?

Post by Jagd »

Is there a forum similar to this in activity/depth but with a focus on Buddhism?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: A Buddhist equivalent to this website?

Post by Peter Kirby »

Jagd wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:10 pm Is there a forum similar to this in activity/depth but with a focus on Buddhism?
If you find something, feel free to crosspost here. I'd love to see some interesting stuff about Buddhism.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Jagd wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:10 pm Is there a forum similar to this in activity/depth but with a focus on Buddhism?
The closest thing in the anglophone world, as far as I am aware, is https://discourse.suttacentral.net/

It is filled with people who delight in studying old Buddhist texts (many of which are very obscure) in order to deflate/deconstruct various later Buddhist texts/traditions as not authentic and later accretions.

However, I offer the following caveats. Its inhabitants, myself included, tend to be Buddhists regarding this as a way to reconstruct Buddhist faith. One of the most prominent moderators is a Buddhist monk who wrote an interesting reconstruction of the historical Buddha Shakyamuni.

That having been said, for people who want to understand what the earliest Buddhist texts say, absent later commentarial glossing, this is a valuable website.
Jagd

Post by Jagd »

Great! I'll check it out right away.
ABuddhist wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:22 pm One of the most prominent moderators is a Buddhist monk who wrote an interesting reconstruction of the historical Buddha Shakyamuni.
Can you share a link to this moderator's reconstruction? Sounds very interesting.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Jagd wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:48 pm Great! I'll check it out right away.
ABuddhist wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:22 pm One of the most prominent moderators is a Buddhist monk who wrote an interesting reconstruction of the historical Buddha Shakyamuni.
Can you share a link to this moderator's reconstruction? Sounds very interesting.
Here is a link [ https://ocbs.org/the-authenticity-of-th ... t-texts-2/ ] to what I was referring to, viz., "The Authenticity of the Early Buddhist Texts", by Bhikkhus Sujato and Brahmali.
Jagd

Post by Jagd »

ABuddhist wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:53 pm Here is a link [ https://ocbs.org/the-authenticity-of-th ... t-texts-2/ ] to what I was referring to, viz., "The Authenticity of the Early Buddhist Texts", by Bhikkhus Sujato and Brahmali.
This is incredible, I'm reading the sections about the biographical information of the Buddha and so far it is as helpful as Ñāṇamoli Bhikkhu's The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon on the same subject.