A New Topic for my researches - Ramana Maharshi

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.

Moderator: JoeWallack

ABuddhist

A New Topic for my researches - Ramana Maharshi

Post by ABuddhist »

I have, throughout this forum, attracted some interest (and notoriety) through comparing Christianity's origins to the origins of Mahayana Buddhism. I remain what my user's name is. But I found recently a copy of the book "Ramana Maharshi: Interpretations of his Enlightenment", by J. Glenn Friesen. Reading through its beginning online, I think that this book will be a very useful source for my further discussions about Jesus. Friesen, although apparently some type of Hindu or tolerant Christian, provides a fascinating example of how to critically evaluate even sources with definite dates, authors, and provenances writing about charismatic religious figures. For what it is worth, he is not willing to treat as credible even an account of Ramana Maharshi written by a known person while Ramana Maharshi was still alive. He also discusses how the religious biases from the biographers distorted what they said about Ramana Maharshi.

How vast a contrast this is from the Christians' gospels, which are (excepting GJohn), seemingly assumed by mainstream biblical scholarship to be credible despite being undated, anonymous, and from no definite provenance.