Markan Marcion: A Contrarian Synopsis

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
vocesanticae

Re: Markan Marcion: A Contrarian Synopsis

Post by vocesanticae »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:08 am This project will take time. I take Ben Smith's notes as my point of departure here. Expect edits to each of these posts to happen over time as I work on it. Eventually, expect some new posts after the initial editing is done.

I have, up until today, studiously avoided both the synoptic problem and speculation regarding the state of the Gospel in use by those called Marcionites (hereafter the Gospel). I consider this to be one of the thorniest of all problems, and I preferred to smell the flowers in less brambly patches of the early Christian literature. Today, with some trepidation, I am daring to take my chance at climbing this mountain, even while knowing that the result will almost certainly be both idiosyncratic and unconvincing, as proven by the many predecessors who have attempted the trek.

I have decided to start with providing a synopsis that I intend to work out for my own study. At least this might be somewhat more enduring and useful than whatever tentative conclusions I reach.

A synopsis must have an organizing principle. That organizing principle for me is Mark. This is intentionally contrarian, given that the witnesses that we have mainly (but not entirely) claim that the Gospel is a mutilated version of Luke. The fact is that it would not be useful for me to give yet another recapitulation of Against Marcion Book 4 with minor quibbles. This has been done several times, and we are now apparently converging on first 50%, maybe 80%, now 90%, then 95%, even 97% reconstruction of the underlying text. Simply amazing! What can I add to such an exact science? New dissertations on the same theme seem to be writing themselves annually.

This organizing principle is for me not a truth claim but an open question. How far can this be pushed? What would it imply? What new configurations would result? What, quite simply, is the alternative?

Longtime lurkers of the forum already know some of the personalities here that have ventured their thoughts. On the one column, let us say in the Lucan column, we have for example Stuart and Mark, who have provided inspiration for this exercise by way of making me wonder: what if you're wrong?
Stuart wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:33 am Overall quibbles. But in the main I think you did a good job shooting down those who somehow claim the text is Mark or Matthew or something other than a form of what became Luke.
vocesanticae wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:51 am Do you know of any scholar in any publication who has challenged the position that T had direct access to the Marcionite scriptures? If so, I'd be eager to know about it. If not, then it seems that your position is baseless contrarianism.
We also have the ever mercurial Stephan, who would no doubt laugh at this tentative attempt to discover the possible details of an alternative theory as being as baseless as the unchallenged consensus itself.

I would agree that I am motivated by the same vanity that has produced this academic juggernaut. I also have no delusions that I will be anything other than run over if I simply try to oppose it. So we will have to be crafty in our approach. We must take a careful study, notice any weaknesses, look for patterns, and slowly weave an alternative theoretical rope. Only then can we bind the strong man and plunder his house (Mark 3:27).
A comparable all-encompassing synopsis, done in Greek, with all relevant primary sources quoted and freshly translated, is the heart and core of my open science book that I've been building for 2.5 years. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3927056

I realize that the use of Greek and only Greek text in the synopsis itself can be a barrier to readers who aren't fluent in Greek, but for those who are willing to take the time and effort, it offers a precision which cannot be fully replicated in an English version.

Even so, if there is a general desire/request for the synopsis to be made available in English as well, that's something I can do, either immediately following the Greek synopsis page, or in a separate LODLIB.

Regarding your proposed methodology, using the canonical Gospel of Mark as the base text for a synopsis is inherently problematic, because it is sometimes the source of the Evangelion (Mk1), and very often reflects mid-2nd century, post-Marcion expansions (Mk2 and Mk3), frequently drawing on the canonical Luke redaction (Lk2). By presuming Markan priority (as a singular, one-off, early text) as the controlling principle of the synopsis, it instantly undermines and even obfuscates serious analysis of the evolutionary patterns evident in the signal transmissions and syntheses.
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:18 am (reserved)

Watch this space, I guess. I hope it's interesting.
I know from personal experience that can be difficult to tell if anyone, other than one's immediate dialogue partners/adversaries are reading or trying to understand one's posts. If readers don't comment, they're invisible. But I am watching this space to see what you come up with.

Best,

Ken
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Here is Roth's 2009 thesis: https://era.ed.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/1 ... sequence=1

There's a helpful table of "attested verses." I'd like to divide those between attestations in Tertullian, attestations in Epiphanius, attestations in Adamantius, attestations in Eznik, and other attestations. Then I will supplement the verse numbers in Luke with corresponding verse numbers in Mark or Matthew or Thomas. This is an open-ended search for any patterns that might result.

The order follows Mark primarily, Matthew secondarily after 9:1 (Luke otherwise) where there are parallels.

Starting with the "Other" attestations.

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas Attestation - "Other(s)" Parallels
3:1 Irenaeus, Haer. 1.27.2; 4.6.24
Hippolytus, Haer. 7.31.54
(Pseudo-)Ephrem, An Exposition of the Gospel
Origen, Ex libro Origenis in Epistolam ad Titum
Marc. 4.7.1
Pan. 42.11.5
Adam. 64.14–15 (2.3); 98.2–3 (2.18); 102.68–69 (2.19)
1:21 4:31 9:1 Origen, Ex libro Origenis in Epistolam ad Titum Hippolytus, Haer. 7.31.6
An anonymous Syriac manuscript preserved in the British Museum (cod. Add. 17215 fol. 30).
Marc. 4.7.1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7
2:18 5:33 9:14 6 Ephrem, Hymns Against Heresies, 47.4 Marc. 4.11.5
2:19 5:34 9:15 104 Ephrem, Hymns Against Heresies, 47.4
(Pseudo-)Ephrem, An Exposition of the Gospel 64
Marc. 4.11.6
2:21 5:36 9:16 47 Philastrius, Diversarum hereseon liber 45 Marc. 4.11.9, 10
Pan. 42.2.1
Adam. 90.8–9, 22–23 (2.16)
7:23 11:6 Ephrem, Against Marcion I, xxxix/86 Marc. 4.18.8
Pan. 42.11.6(8)
10:22 11:27 Irenaeus, Haer. 4.6.1 Marc. 4.25.7, 10
Adam. 44.1–2 (1.23)
Eznik, De deo 392
6:43 12:33 45 Origen, Princ. 2.5.453
Hippolytus, Haer. 10.19.3
Pseudo-Tertullian, Adversus omnes haereses, 6.2
Philastrius, Diversarum hereseon liber 45
Marc. 4.17.12
Adam. 56.14–16; 58.11–13 (1.28)
6:45 12:35 45 Origen, Princ. 2.5.4 Marc. 4.17.12
3:32 8:20 12:46 99 Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 11.9 Marc. 4.19.7
Pan. 42.11.6(12)
6:1 4:16 13:54 Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 11.23 Marc. 4.8.2
6:4 4:23 13:57 31 Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 11.23 Marc. 4.8.2
4:29 Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 11.23
Jerome, Contra Johannem 34
Marc. 4.8.2
4:30 Jerome, Contra Johannem 34 Marc. 4.8.3
9:4 9:30 17:3 Ephrem, Against Marcion I xxxix/87
Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 14.9
Marc. 4.22.1, 2, 3, 12
Pan. 42.11.6(17); 42.11.17 (e1l. 63)
9:4 9:31a 17:3 Ephrem, Against Marcion I xli/91 Marc. 4.22.12
Pan. 42.11.6(17); 42.11.17 (e1l. 63)
9:7 9:35 17:5 Ephrem, Against Marcion I xlii–xliii/93–95
Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 14.9
Marc. 4.22.1, 8, 10, 12
9:60 8:22 Clement of Alexandria, Strom. 3.4.25 Marc. 4.23.10
11:3 6:11 Origen, Fragment 180 Marc. 4.26.4
11:27 79 Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 11.9 Marc. 4.26.13
10:18 18:19 19:17 Origen, Princ. 2.5.1, 4
Hippolytus, Haer. 7.31.6
Marc. 4.36.3, 6
Pan. 42.11.6(50)
Adam. 2.18–19 (1.1); 92.26–27 (2.17)
23:34 Ephrem, Commentary on the Diatessaron 23.3 Marc. 4.42.4
Pan. 42.11.6(71)

And here are those texts. (This doesn't make any real effort to distinguish what might be in the Gospel.)

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas
3.1 In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea,...
1:21 And they went into Capernaum; and immediately on the sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught. 4:31 And he went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the sabbath; 9:1 And getting into a boat he crossed over and came to his own city
2:18 Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting; and people came and said to him, "Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?" 5:33 And they said to him, "The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink." 9:14 Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?" 6 His disciples questioned Him and said to Him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?" Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of Heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."
2:19 And Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast." 5:34 And Jesus said to them, "Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?" 9:15 And Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come, when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast." 104 They said [to Jesus], "Come, let us pray today and let us fast." Jesus said, "What is the sin that I have committed, or wherein have I been defeated? But when the bridegroom leaves the bridal chamber, then let them fast and pray."
2:21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; if he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made." 5:36 He told them a parable also: "No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it upon an old garment; if he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old." 9:16 And no one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch tears away from the garment, and a worse tear is made. 47 Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."
7:23 "And blessed is he who takes no offense at me." 11:6 "And blessed is he who takes no offense at me."
10:22 "All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." 11:27 "All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."
6:43 "For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit;" 12:33 "Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit." 45 Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
6:45 "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure produces evil; for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." 12:35 "The good man out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth evil." 45 Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
3:32 And a crowd was sitting about him; and they said to him, "Your mother and your brothers are outside, asking for you." 8:20 And he was told, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see you." 12:46 While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. 99 The disciples said to Him, "Your brothers and Your mother are standing outside." He said to them, "Those here who do the will of My Father are My brothers and My mother. It is they who will enter the Kingdom of My Father."
6:1 He went away from there and came to his own country; and his disciples followed him. 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the sabbath day. And he stood up to read; 13:54 and coming to his own country he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?"
6:4 And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house." 4:23 And he said to them, "Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, 'Physician, heal yourself; what we have heard you did at Capernaum, do here also in your own country.'" 13:57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house." 31 Jesus said, "No prophet is accepted in his own village; no physician heals those who know him."
4:29 And they rose up and put him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw him down headlong.
4:30 But passing through the midst of them he went away.
9:4 And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses; and they were talking to Jesus. 9:30 And behold, two men talked with him, Moses and Elijah, 17:3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him.
9:4 And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses; and they were talking to Jesus. 9:31a who appeared in glory and spoke of his departure... 17:3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Eli'jah, talking with him.
9:7 And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, "This is my beloved Son; listen to him." 9:35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!" 17:5 He was still speaking, when lo, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."
9:60 But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." 8:22 But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."
11:3 Give us each day our daily bread; 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread;
11:27 As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!" 79 A woman from the crowd said to Him, "Blessed are the womb which bore You and the breasts which nourished You." He said to her, "Blessed are those who have heard the word of the Father and have truly kept it. For there will be days when you will say, 'Blessed are the womb which has not conceived and the breasts which have not given milk.'"
10:18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." 18:19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." 19:17 And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."
23:34 And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments.

I'm already intrigued. The beginning kind of looks like it could be a "Sermon at Capernaum."
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Next, Eznik. Given the limited number of references, no attempt here has been made to adjust the order.

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas Attestation - Eznik Parallels
6:20 5:3 54 Eznik, De deo 405 Marc. 4.14.1, 9, 13
Eznik, De deo 405
6:24 Eznik, De deo 405 Marc. 4.15.3, 9
7:22 11:5 Eznik, De deo 358 Marc. 4.18.6
10:22 11:27 Eznik, De deo 392 Irenaeus, Haer. 4.6.1
Adam. 44.1–2 (1.23)
22:15 Eznik, De deo 415 Marc. 4.40.1, 3
Pan. 42.11.6(62);
42.11.17(e1l. 61)
15:33 23:44 27:45 Eznik, De deo 358 Marc. 4.42.5
15:38 23:45 27:51 Eznik, De deo 358 Marc. 4.42.5
Pan. 42.11.6(71)
24:42 Eznik, De deo 407
24:43 Eznik, De deo 407

Here are the texts.

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas
6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: "Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God" 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" 54 Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor, for yours is the Kingdom of Heaven."
6:24 "But woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation."
7:22 And he answered them, "Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them." 11:5 And Jesus answered them, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: 11.5 the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them."
10:22 "All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." 11:27 "All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."
22:15 And he said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer"
15:33 And when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. 23:44 It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour.
15:38 And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. 23:45 while the sun's light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 27:51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and the rocks were split;
24:42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
24:43 and he took it and ate before them.

Eznik offers these things:

(1) "no one knows the Father except the Son" (Luke 10:22)
(2) The darkness and temple curtain being torn (Luke 23:44-45)
(3) Statements of Jesus on the poor (Luke 5:3, Luke 6:24, Luke 7:22)
(4) Statement on Jesus wanting to eat the passover (Luke 22:15)
(5) Resurrected Jesus eating a piece of broiled fish (Luke 24:42-43)

The first two seem completely consistent with other references so far. The third one is new; elsewhere, these verses are attested by Tertullian. The fourth one is more widely attested (both Tertullian and Epiphanius also) in some form. Based on the other references already seen, like Jesus coming down to Capernaum at the opening of the Gospel (Luke 4:31) and passing through crowds (Luke 4:30), the last item, (5), may stand in tension with better-attested parts of the text. Eznik alone attests to Luke 24:42-43, which is odd considering its evident value in refuting the alleged docetism of Marcion. For now, at least, I'm not ready to allow material found in Eznik alone as part of the reconstruction of the Gospel.

Edited to add: I have later found that Tertullian also references the episode of Jesus eating a piece of broiled fish.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Peter,

A bit of a warning on Adamatius, parts 1 and 2 only contain Marcionite quotes when coming from the mouth of the Marcionte champions Megethius or Marcus. And even then, they are almost always quoting from the antithesis (usually pairs of sayings, one OT the other NT), which oft mere paraphrases rather than faithfully quotes the text.

For example DA 1.23 (817d): “No one knows the Father, except the Son, neither does anyone know the son, except the Father” paraphrases Matthew 11:27/Luke 10:22 but reading ἔγνω instead of ἐπιγινώσκει. We see this exact substitution also in other works that appear to make use of the antithesis, such as found in the pseudo-Clement Recognitions Book 2, Chapter XLVIII and Homilies Book 17, chapter IV. There are other examples of parallels that support the view that DA is not actually quoting Marcionite text from Paul and the Gospel but from the antithesis (e.g., Archelaus and chapter 5 in Matthew).

On the flip side, if the gospel text made it to the Antithesis, then it's a pretty strong indication that the text, not in paraphrased form, stood in the Marcionite gospel in a form that could produce the paraphrase in the first place. But the paraphrase cannot be assumed to be verbatim the NT reading.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:29 pm And here are those texts. (This doesn't make any real effort to distinguish what might be in the Gospel.)

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas
3.1 In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea,...
1:21 And they went into Capernaum; and immediately on the sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught. 4:31 And he went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the sabbath; 9:1 And getting into a boat he crossed over and came to his own city
2:18 Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting; and people came and said to him, "Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?" 5:33 And they said to him, "The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink." 9:14 Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?" 6. His Disciples questioned him; they said to him: do you desire that we Fast, and what is the manner we will pray, we will give Alms, and we will Observe what within food? IS said: do not tell lies, and he who you hate, do not make him be: they all are uncovering outward within the presence of the heaven.
There is not anyone Indeed while he is hiding, who will reveal outward not; and there is not anyone, while he is covering, who will remain with lack of him being uncovered.
2:19 And Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast." 5:34 And Jesus said to them, "Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?" 9:15 And Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come, when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast." 104. said they to IS : come! and we pray today and we make-be Fast; said IS : what? Indeed is the sin have I make-be him Or have they become-strong to me in what? Rather Whenever "should" the Bridegroom come-forth in the Bridal-chamber Then let! they Fast and let! they pray
2:21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; if he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made." 5:36 He told them a parable also: "No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it upon an old garment; if he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old." 9:16 And no one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch tears away from the garment, and a worse tear is made. 47 Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."
7:23 "And blessed is he who takes no offense at me." 11:6 "And blessed is he who takes no offense at me."
6:43 "For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit;" 12:33 "Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit." 45 Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
6:45 "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure produces evil; for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." 12:35 "The good man out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth evil." 45 Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
3:32 And a crowd was sitting about him; and they said to him, "Your mother and your brothers are outside, asking for you." 8:20 And he was told, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see you." 12:46 While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. 99 The disciples said to Him, "Your brothers and Your mother are standing outside." He said to them, "Those here who do the will of My Father are My brothers and My mother. It is they who will enter the Kingdom of My Father."
6:1 He went away from there and came to his own country; and his disciples followed him. 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the sabbath day. And he stood up to read; 13:54 and coming to his own country he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?"
6:4 And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house." 4:23 And he said to them, "Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, 'Physician, heal yourself; what we have heard you did at Capernaum, do here also in your own country.'" 13:57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house." 31 Jesus said, "No prophet is accepted in his own village; no physician heals those who know him."
4:29 And they rose up and put him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw him down headlong.
4:30 But passing through the midst of them he went away.
9:4 And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses; and they were talking to Jesus. 9:30 And behold, two men talked with him, Moses and Elijah, 17:3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him.
9:4 And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses; and they were talking to Jesus. 9:31a who appeared in glory and spoke of his departure... 17:3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Eli'jah, talking with him.
9:7 And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, "This is my beloved Son; listen to him." 9:35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!" 17:5 He was still speaking, when lo, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."
9:60 But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." 8:22 But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."
11:3 Give us each day our daily bread; 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread;
11:27 As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!" 79 A woman from the crowd said to Him, "Blessed are the womb which bore You and the breasts which nourished You." He said to her, "Blessed are those who have heard the word of the Father and have truly kept it. For there will be days when you will say, 'Blessed are the womb which has not conceived and the breasts which have not given milk.'"
10:18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." 18:19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." 19:17 And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."
23:34 And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments.

I've added two Thomas - where did you get the parallels that you had?
The fasting and praying is situational, yet it is remarkable that Luke names / lists the praying without putting it to further use.
The bridegroom comes forth (ejaculates) in the Nymphone, but the interpretation / translation has always been that he "comes from the bridal chamber", one of those remarkable NT hapax legomena. Still, it is a parallel, and a verbatim one at that
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

mlinssen wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:13 pm I've added two Thomas - where did you get the parallels that you had?
Thanks! I added them. I've been using The Five Gospel Parallels online. I'll supplement with The Complete Gospel Parallels (which would pick up Thomas 104 at least).
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Now, Adamantius. The asterisks are for verses with a footnote from Roth about uncertainty of attestation.

Again, the order follows Mark primarily, Matthew secondarily after 9:1 (Luke otherwise) where there are parallels.

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas Attestation - Adamantius Parallels
3:1 Adam. 64.14–15 (2.3); 98.2–3 (2.18); 102.68–69 (2.19) Marc. 4.7.1
Pan. 42.11.5
Irenaeus, Haer. 1.27.2; 4.6.24
Hippolytus, Haer. 7.31.54
(Pseudo-)Ephrem, An Exposition of the Gospel
Origen, Ex libro Origenis in Epistolam ad Titum
2:21 5:36 9:16 47 Adam. 90.8–9, 22–23 (2.16) Marc. 4.11.9, 10
Pan. 42.2.1
2:22 5:38 9:17 47 Adam. 90.5–7 (2.16)
3:3 6:8 Adam. 36.14 (1.17)
6:27 5:44 Adam. 26.20–21 (1.12); 88.27 (2.15) Marc. 4.16.1
6:28 5:44 Adam. 26.20–21 (1.12) Marc. 4.16.1
6:29 5:39-40 Adam. 32.5–6 (1.15); 38.2–3 (1.18) Marc. 4.16.2, 6
4:24 6:38 7:2 Adam. 32.17 (1.15); 66.33–34 (2.5) Marc. 4.17.9
6:43 7:17 45 Adam. 56.14–16; 58.11–13 (1.28) Marc. 4.17.12
Origen, Princ. 2.5.4
Hippolytus, Haer. 10.19.3
Pseudo-Tertullian, Adversus omnes haereses, 6.2
5:9 8:30 Adam. 36.20 (1.17) Marc. 4.20.4
6:7 9:1 10:1 Adam. 82.2–4 (2.12)
9:2 10:7-8a Adam. 82.4–5 (2.12) Marc. 4.21.1
6:8-9 9:3 10:9-10 Adam. 22.7–9 (1.10) Marc. 4.21.1
6:12-13 9:6 11:1 Adam. 82.6–7 (2.12)
7:19 11:2b-3 Adam. 50.13–14 (1.26) Marc. 4.18.5, 6, 7
7:27 11:10 Adam. 98.11–13 (2.18) Marc. 4.18.4, 7, 8
Pan. 42.11.6 (9)
10:22 11:27 Adam. 44.1–2 (1.23) Marc. 4.25.7, 10
Irenaeus, Haer. 4.6.1
Eznik, De deo 392
8:27 9:18 16:13 13a Adam. 84.1–2 (2.13)
8:28 9:19 16:14 13b Adam. 84.2–4 (2.13)
8:29 9:20 16:16 Adam. 84.4–5 (2.13) Marc. 4.21.6
11:11* 7:10* Adam. 110.3–4 (2.20) Marc. 4.26.10
Pan. 42.11.6(24)
11:12* Adam. 110.4–5 (2.20) Marc. 4.26.10
Pan. 42.11.6 (24)
11:13* 7:11* Adam. 110.5–6 (2.20) Marc. 4.26.10
Pan. 42.11.6 (24)
12:47* Adam. 112.10–11 (2.21) Marc. 4.29.11
12:48* Adam. 112.11–12 (2.21) Marc. 4.29.11
16:13 6:24 47 Adam. 56.11–12 (1.28) Marc. 4.33.1, 2
16:19 Adam. 76.16–17 (2.10) Pan. 42.11.6 (44)
16:20 Adam. 76.17–18 (2.10)
16:21 Adam. 76.19–21 (2.10)
16:22 Adam. 76.21–23 (2.10) Marc. 4.34.10, 11
Pan. 42.11.6(44)
16:23 Adam. 76.23–25 (2.10) Marc. 4.34.10, 11, 12
16:24 Adam. 76.26–29 (2.10)
16:25 Adam. 76.29–31 (2.10) Pan. 42.11.6(45)
16:26 Adam. 76.31–34 (2.10) Marc. 4.34.11
16:27 Adam. 76.34–35 (2.10)
16:28 Adam. 76.35–78.2 (2.10)
16:29 Adam. 78.2–3 (2.10)
16:30 Adam. 78.3–5 (2.10)
16:31 Adam. 78.5–6 (2.10) Pan. 42.11.6(46)
17:1 18:7 Adam. 88.4–5 (2.15) Marc. 4.35.1
10:14 18:16 19:14 22 Adam. 32.26–27 (1.16)
10:17 18:18 19:16 Adam. 2.18–19 (1.1); 92.26–27 (2.17) Marc. 4.36.4, 6
Pan. 42.11.6 (50)
10:18 18:19 19:17 Adam. 2.18–19 (1.1); 92.26–27 (2.17) Marc. 4.36.3, 6
Pan. 42.11.6 (50)
10:19 18:20 19:18-19 Adam. 92.27–29 (2.17) Marc. 4.36.4, 5, 7
Pan. 42.11.6 (50)
10:20 18:21 19:20 Adam. 92.29–30 (2.17) Marc. 4.36.4
10:21 18:22 19:21 76:3 Adam. 92.30–32 (2.17) Marc. 4.36.4, 6, 7
10:46 18:35 20:29 Adam. 200.22–24 (5.14)
10:46 18:36 20:29 Adam. 200.24–25 (5.14)
10:47 18:37 20:30 Adam. 200.25–26 (5.14)
10:47 18:38 20:30 Adam. 200.26 (5.14) Marc. 4.36.9, 11; 37.1; 38.10
Pan. 42.11.6 (51)
10:49 18:40 20:32 Adam. 200.26–28 (5.14)
10:51 18:41 20:32 Adam. 200.28–29 (5.14)
10:52 18:42 20:34 Adam. 200.29–30 (5.14) Marc. 4.36.10, 12
Pan. 42.11.6 (51)
10:52 18:43 20:34 Adam. 200.30 (5.14) Marc. 4.36.12; 37.1
14:22 22:19 26:26 Adam. 108.27 (2.20) Marc. 4.40.3, 4
14:23* 22:17* 26:27* Adam. 108.27 (2.20)

Here are the corresponding texts. Again, so far, no real effort here to determine what was actually in the Gospel.

Mark Luke Matthew Thomas
3:1 In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea...
2:21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; if he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. 5:36 He told them a parable also: "No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it upon an old garment; if he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. 9:16 And no one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch tears away from the garment, and a worse tear is made. 47 Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."
2:22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; if he does, the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost, and so are the skins; but new wine is for fresh skins. 5:38 But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 9:17 Neither is new wine put into old wineskins; if it is, the skins burst, and the wine is spilled, and the skins are destroyed; but new wine is put into fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved. 47 Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."
3:3 And he said to the man who had the withered hand, "Come here." 6:8 But he knew their thoughts, and he said to the man who had the withered hand, "Come and stand here." And he rose and stood there.
6:27 But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
6:29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. 5:39-40 But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well;
4:24 And he said to them, "Take heed what you hear; the measure you give will be the measure you get, and still more will be given you." 6:38 give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back. 7:2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.
6:43 For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; 7:17 So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. 45 Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
5:9 And Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" He replied, "My name is Legion; for we are many." 8:30 Jesus then asked him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Legion"; for many demons had entered him.
6:7 And he called to him the twelve, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 9:1 And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases 10:1 And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every infirmity
9:2 and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal 10:7-8a And preach as you go, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons
6:8-9 He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics. 9:3 And he said to them, "Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics." 10:9-10 Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your belts, no bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor a staff;
6:12-13 So they went out and preached that men should repent. And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many that were sick and healed them. 9:6 And they departed and went through the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere. 11:1 And when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in their cities.
7:19 And John, calling to him two of his disciples, sent them to the Lord, saying, "Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?" 11:2b-3 he sent word by his disciples and said to him, "Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?"
7:27 This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee.' 11:10 This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee.'
10:22 All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 11:27 All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
8:27 And Jesus went on with his disciples, to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that I am?" 9:18 Now it happened that as he was praying alone the disciples were with him; and he asked them, "Who do the people say that I am?" 16:13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?" 13a Jesus said to His disciples, "Compare me to someone and tell Me whom I am like."
8:28 And they told him, "John the Baptist; and others say, Elijah; and others one of the prophets." 9:19 And they answered, "John the Baptist; but others say, Elijah; and others, that one of the old prophets has risen." 16:14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." 13b Simon Peter said to Him, "You are like a righteous angel." Matthew said to Him, "You are like a wise philosopher." Thomas said to Him, "Master, my mouth is wholly incapable of saying whom You are like." Jesus said, "I am not your master. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated by the bubbling spring which I have measured out." And He took him and withdrew and told him three things. When Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?" Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the things which he told me, you will pick up stones and throw them at me; a fire will come out of the stones and burn you up."
8:29 And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Christ." 9:20 And he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered, "The Christ of God." 16:16 Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
11:11* What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 7:10* Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?
11:12* or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
11:13* If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" 7:11* If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
12:47* And that servant who knew his master's will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating.
12:48* But he who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, shall receive a light beating. Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required; and of him to whom men commit much they will demand the more.
16:13 No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. 6:24 No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. 47 Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."
16:19 There was a rich man, who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day.
16:20 And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, full of sores,
16:21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table; moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
16:22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried;
16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus in his bosom.
16:24 And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy upon me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in anguish in this flame.'
16:25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish.
16:26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.'
16:27 And he said, 'Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house,
16:28 for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.'
16:29 But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if some one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
16:31 He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced if some one should rise from the dead.'"
17:1 And he said to his disciples, "Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!" 18:7 ."Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the man by whom the temptation comes!"
10:14 But when Jesus saw it he was indignant, and said to them, "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God." 18:16 But Jesus called them to him, saying, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God." 19:14 but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." 22 Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to His disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the Kingdom." They said to Him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the Kingdom?" Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter [the Kingdom]."
10:17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 18:18 And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 19:16 And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
10:19 You know the commandments: 'Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'" 18:20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'" 19:18-19 He said to him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19.19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
10:20 And he said to him, "Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth." 18:21 And he said, "All these I have observed from my youth." 19:20 The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?"
10:21 And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." 18:22 And when Jesus heard it, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." 19:21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." 76:3 You too, seek his unfailing and enduring treasure where no moth comes near to devour and no worm destroys.
10:46 And they came to Jericho; and as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great multitude, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timae'us, was sitting by the roadside. 18:35 As he drew near to Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging; 20:29 And as they went out of Jericho, a great crowd followed him.
10:46 And they came to Jericho; and as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great multitude, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timae'us, was sitting by the roadside. 18:36 and hearing a multitude going by, he inquired what this meant 20:29 and hearing a multitude going by, he inquired what this meant.
10:47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 18:37 They told him, "Jesus of Nazareth is passing by." 20:30 And behold, two blind men sitting by the roadside, when they heard that Jesus was passing by, cried out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!"
10:47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 18:38 And he cried, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 20:30 And behold, two blind men sitting by the roadside, when they heard that Jesus was passing by, cried out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!"
10:49 And Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." And they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take heart; rise, he is calling you." 18:40 And Jesus stopped, and commanded him to be brought to him; and when he came near, he asked him, 20:32 And Jesus stopped and called them, saying, "What do you want me to do for you?"
10:51 And Jesus said to him, "What do you want me to do for you?" And the blind man said to him, "Master, let me receive my sight." 18:41 "What do you want me to do for you?" He said, "Lord, let me receive my sight." 20:32 And Jesus stopped and called them, saying, "What do you want me to do for you?"
10:52 And Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way. 18:42 And Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has made you well." 20:34 And Jesus in pity touched their eyes, and immediately they received their sight and followed him.
10:52 And Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way. 18:43 And immediately he received his sight and followed him, glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise to God. 20:34 And Jesus in pity touched their eyes, and immediately they received their sight and followed him.
14:22 And as they were eating, he took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them, and said, "Take; this is my body." 22:19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 26:26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is my body."
14:23* And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. 22:17* And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, "Take this, and divide it among yourselves;" 26:27* And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you;"

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:35 pm
mlinssen wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:13 pm I've added two Thomas - where did you get the parallels that you had?
Thanks! I added them. I've been using The Five Gospel Parallels online. I'll supplement with The Complete Gospel Parallels (which would pick up Thomas 104 at least).
Thank you Peter. A handy one pager of *Ev-Thomas is

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

vocesanticae wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:20 am A comparable all-encompassing synopsis, done in Greek, with all relevant primary sources quoted and freshly translated, is the heart and core of my open science book that I've been building for 2.5 years. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3927056
Thanks! Looks useful. I will have to refer to it.
mlinssen wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:46 am A handy one pager of *Ev-Thomas
Fantastic! This will make things easier.