ἕτερον: Qualitatively different apostle? (Alt. Tr. Gal 1:19)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

ἕτερον: Qualitatively different apostle? (Alt. Tr. Gal 1:19)

Post by gryan »

RE: ἕτερον

I'm arguing for translating héteros as "another but distinct in kind" in each of these usages, eg. "a qualitatively different gospel".
https://biblehub.com/greek/2087.htm

This stands in contrast to állos ("another of the same kind"), eg. 2 Cor 11:4, "another Jesus".
https://biblehub.com/greek/243.htm

Gal 1:6-7
"Unless there are some who are troubling [ταράσσοντες] you and wanting to corrupt the gospel of Christ, I am surprised that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ for a qualitatively different [ἕτερον] gospel...

Gal 1:19
ἕτερον δὲ τῶν ἀποστόλων οὐκ εἶδον,
εἰ μὴ Ἰάκωβον τὸν ἀδελφὸν τοῦ Κυρίου.

My proposed translation:

... but belonging to the apostles, I discerned no qualitatively different one,
except James the brother of the Lord.

τῶν ἀποστόλων, dative of belonging

εἶδον, discernment of quality

ἕτερον, qualitatively different, substantive, accusative object of the verb, εἶδον

Gal 6:4
τὸ δὲ ἔργον ἑαυτοῦ δοκιμαζέτω ἕκαστος,
But let each test his own work,
καὶ τότε εἰς ἑαυτὸν μόνον τὸ καύχημα ἕξει
and then he will have the ground of boasting as to himself alone,
καὶ οὐκ εἰς τὸν ἕτερον·
and not as to the qualitatively different one.

Cf. 2 Cor 11:4
For if [someone] comes [and] proclaims [a] another Jesus (of the same kind) whom we did not proclaim,
εἰ μὲν γὰρ ὁ ἐρχόμενος ἄλλον Ἰησοῦν κηρύσσει ὃν οὐκ ἐκηρύξαμεν
or if you receive a qualitatively different spirit [than the One] you received,
πνεῦμα ἕτερον λαμβάνετε ὃ οὐκ ἐλάβετε
or a qualitatively different gospel [than the one] you received,
εὐαγγέλιον ἕτερον ὃ οὐκ ἐδέξασθε
you bear with it well.
καλῶς ἀνέχεσθε

Cf. Romans 13:8-9

Be indebted to no one, except to one another [in] love, for he who loves the qualitatively different one
Μηδενὶ μηδὲν ὀφείλετε εἰ μὴ τὸ ἀλλήλους ἀγαπᾶν ὁ γὰρ ἀγαπῶν τὸν ἕτερον
has fulfilled [the] Law.
νόμον πεπλήρωκεν

The [commandments] “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,”
τὸ γάρ Οὐ μοιχεύσεις Οὐ φονεύσεις Οὐ κλέψεις Οὐκ ἐπιθυμήσεις
and any qualitatively different commandment,
καὶ εἴ τις ἑτέρα ἐντολή
are summed up in this [one] decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
ἐν τῷ λόγῳ τούτῳ ἀνακεφαλαιοῦται ἐν τῷ Ἀγαπήσεις τὸν πλησίον σου ὡς σεαυτόν

----------

I'm wondering if maybe the "qualitatively different" apostle, James the Lord's brother (ἕτερον, Gal 1:19) is being preached as another "Jesus" of the same kind (ἄλλον Ἰησοῦν, 2 Cor 11:4), i.e. the same flesh and blood lineage. Paul did not discern "the qualitatively different one" (ἕτερον, Rom 13:8-9), James the Lord's bother, to be "another Jesus of the same kind"; nevertheless, he loved James the Lord's brother (as well as others who took his path of Jewish law observance), and Paul advocated for others to do the same.
gryan

Re: ἕτερον: Qualitatively different apostle? (Alt. Tr. Gal 1:19)

Post by gryan »

Re: textual alternative

Arguing against Marcion:
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.11.7:<η> (<λε>). «Ὁ γὰρ ἀγαπῶν τὸν πλησίον νόμον πεπλήρωκε». / 8(35). 'He that loveth his neighbour hath fulfilled the Law.'
Epiphanius, Panarion 42.12.3: <η> <καὶ> <λε> <σχόλιον>. «Ὁ γὰρ ἀγαπῶν τὸν πλησίον νόμον πεπλήρωκεν». <η> <καὶ> <λε> <ἔλεγχος>. Εἰ διὰ τοῦ ἀγαπᾶν τὸν πλησίον νόμος πληροῦται, οὐκ ἀλλότριος Χριστοῦ καὶ θεοῦ πατρὸς τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ καὶ θεοῦ ὁ νόμος, ὁ κελεύων ἀγαπᾶν τὸν πλησίον· διότι ὁ θεὸς ἀγάπη ἐστὶν καὶ πάντα τὰ ὑπ' αὐτοῦ κηρυττόμενα ὁμοίως ἀεὶ κηρύττεται, καὶ τότε καὶ νῦν, καὶ ἐν παλαιᾷ καὶ καινῇ διαθήκῃ. / Scholion 8 and 35. 'He that loveth his neighbour hath fulfilled the Law.' Elenchus 8 and 35. If the Law is fulfilled by the love of neighbour, then the Law, which commands the love of neighbour is not foreign to Christ, and to God the Father of our Lord and God Jesus Christ. For God is love, and everything he proclaims is always proclaimed alike, both then and now, in the Old Testament and the New.

-------

Contra Wough,
https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/WaughRomansXIII.pdf
my analysis of the use of τὸν ἕτερον in Galatians and ἑτέρα ἐντολή in Romans inclines me to agree with the text critical mainstream that Marcion and his critic, Epiphanius, were working with a corrupted text.