No "Descending" - The Myth About Marcion's Incipit

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: No "Descending" - The Myth About Marcion's Incipit

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:49 pm It is amazing how the question of whether the Marcionite gospel begins with Capernaum and my introduction of evidence for a descent into Judea gets completely ignored. The evidence is the evidence. I happen to be VERY familiar with the primary evidence with respect to early Christianity and especially Marcionism. Whether or not I synthesize that evidence correctly is up for debate. But again:

1. 'Marcion' is said to have referenced a descent into Judea
2. Tertullian says the Marcionite gospel is like a truncated Luke which begins with a descent into Capernaum "Anno quintodecimo principatus Tiberiani proponit eum/deum descendisse in civitatem Galilaeae Capharnaum, utique de caelo creatoris, in quod de suo ante descenderat." "In the fifteenth year of Tiberius's leadership, he proposes that he/the god descended into the city of Capernaum in Galilee, of course from the creator's heaven, into which he had previously descended from his own."

Masculine, feminine, whatever. That's the evidence.
Primary sources and secondary sources have different definitions according to which historian you read. There is no Bible that applies to all. You are using one particular definition -- and failing to use the word synthesize correctly. Synthesis is different from interpretation.

Also, you seem to be confusing two quite distinct concepts: "evidence" and "source".

I once did try to open up with you a discussion of how historians treat evidence and sources. You seem to prefer to live in your own most spacious bubble of ignorance- - but I really do admire your "masculine authority" and courageous attempts to use "big words", as you put it. ;-)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Blah blah blah. Judea or Capernaum.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:53 pm Blah blah blah. Judea or Capernaum.
Mmmmm --- is that the limit of your intellectual ability?

Your appeal to "synthesizing" information reminded me of my first-year education courses. You can inform yourself of the meaning and application of "synthesis" thinking as all education students learn when they are introduced to Bloom's taxonomy:

https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-p ... -taxonomy/
https://www.thoughtco.com/blooms-taxono ... egory-8449
https://learningcenter.unc.edu/tips-and ... -thinking/
https://www.simplypsychology.org/blooms-taxonomy.html

Blah blah blah does not make it to the first level, I'm sorry. But I do give you credit for being able to write lots and lots of words.

One day, as the saying goes about the chimp at the keyboard ..... :D

(Speaking of chimps, as you were saying about a certain type of person being of "another species"???? ;)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Someone needs a life.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:07 pm Someone needs a life.
Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 1.jpg (3.87 KiB) Viewed 576 times
:D

Ah -- but as you have so courageously said, I am the "ally of evil". EVIL, I am --- :twisted:
Last edited by neilgodfrey on Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

SA/SH is just shy of 20,000 if you add his other accounts: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

In whiletime so Guy Fau (Le puzzle des évangiles, p. 255):
What about Josephus's view of Capernaum as a source of water in full wilderness?

Accordingly, the descent to Capernaum would be
originally a descent in the middle of the wilderness, Jesus being identified implicitly with the divine grace (=water) that alone gives comfort in the wilderness.

The idea could have been developed further by Mark by having Jesus tempted in the wilderness by Satan.

Or, my thought: if John the Baptist is designed to fill the Jesus's original location in the wilderness, the divine Water (=Jesus in Capernaum) has been replaced by the giver (=John) of a baptism by Water, as part of Mark's need of a witness in the figure of John.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

My life has been very unfortunate. Between MLS Next and Canadian National U17 tryouts

https://youtu.be/vY0Sy38x8Ig for my spoiled brat Tom Brady looking goyische 1800 level chess playing son

theatre producing https://saportareport.com/artsbridge-ta ... es/hannah/ my wife

taking care of her sick 89 year old mom

3000 miles away in Toronto for months and taking care of an ugly dog.

I had one bad unfortunate life. I could only dream of truly living a rewarding life spending every waking hour trying to destroy a religion. I envy you so much. What could have been if I had the luck to have lived out my days as a miserable bald (and gay?) Australian.
Sinouhe

Post by Sinouhe »

MrMacSon wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:38 pm SA/SH is just shy of 20,000 if you add his other accounts: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist
Thank you for the clarification :roll: :lol:
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Religion is doing a good job of destroying itself or haven't you noticed? If you'd lived in Australia then you'd probably spend time teaching your children how to surf the waves of life and introducing them to the surf god Huey. I prefer a land of poisonous spiders, venomous snakes and deadly jelly fish than having to cope with self-professed know-it-alls. But that's just me. Each to their own.