For Justin, the mention of Pilate serves to show that Jesus was a man

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

For Justin, the mention of Pilate serves to show that Jesus was a man

Post by Giuseppe »

But Jesus, His name as man and Saviour, has also significance. For He was made man also, as we before said, having been conceived according to the will of God the Father, for the sake of believing men, and for the destruction of the demons.

And now you can learn this from what is under your own observation.

For numberless demoniacs throughout the whole world, and in your city, many of our Christian men exorcising them in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, have healed and do heal, rendering helpless and driving the possessing devils out of the men, though they could not be cured by all the other exorcists, and those who used incantations and drugs.

https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0127.htm

The Justin's argument is essentially that the exorcisms in the name of a Jesus/Pilate connection prove that Jesus is both a Saviour and a man:
  • a saviour, in virtue of the exorcisms done by Christians contemporaries of Justin;
  • a man, in virtue of the mention of Pilate.
So, essentially, Pilate proves the incarnation of Jesus as "man".

I am yet thinking yet about the implications of this quote, assuming that Justin preceded the our Gospels and possibly he could preserve informations preceding even the Evangelion of Marcion.
Giuseppe

Re: For Justin, the mention of Pilate serves to show that Jesus was a man

Post by Giuseppe »

Justin's point is done in John 19:5:
So Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!

The point is identical in the Synoptics, with Pilate who shows a humble Jesus "called Christ" in opposition to the divine 'Son of Father' (Bar-Abbas). The humanity of Jesus is exalted in opposition to the divinity of the rival Barabbas.

Again, the role of Pilate is crucial in fixing the point that Jesus is MAN.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

This ignores evidence that for Justin "Man" had a special sense.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Is there some way to show that a crucified under Pilate is more 'MAN' than a crucified under a different Roman ruler?

Obviously no.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

"Pilatus" shares with Longinus the possession of the the lance, the pilum, the javelin.

Probably because the Greek for "lance" is longche, the soldier entered Christian lore under the name of "Longinus".

What is the probability that the soldier had to be called 'Longinus' when there was already in the story a man with the 'lance' in the name ?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Answering to the question about how 'Pilate' would make Jesus more 'MAN' than any other possible Roman ruler:

if Jesus had to be made a davidic Messiah, then we know that a davidic Messiah is a mere MAN by definition. He is not a god, he is a mere man.

Now, if Jesus is the new David, then who will be the new Goliath?

Goliath is a giant and this feature of Goliath points out, by contrast, that David is a mere MAN.

Pilate is a best candidate for the new Goliath in virtue of the name 'Pilatus', man with Javelin, and Goliath was portrayed with a long lance, not only him but also his relatives.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The point that David is a MAN is made with even more insistence in the Goliath's episode:
Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us.” 10 Then the Philistine said, “This day I defy the armies of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.”

(1 Samuel 17:8-9)

So, what makes Jesus a MAN is precisely the mention of a Roman Goliath, a PILATUS.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

I think that Justin knew this esoteric meaning of Pilate as second Goliath who invoked the presence of a MAN before him and before all the Jews.

This esoteric knowledge shared by Justin makes Justin very close, in time, to the original circle of writers that fabricated the first story of Jesus on the earth.